Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2023

287,583 Views | 1916 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by 12f Mane
Ag 11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I did not know that. I'll look for that on the TPWD website. My FIL said he used to see box turtles around all the time & now he hardly ever sees them at all.
Ag 11
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Awesome! Where is this?

Seabrook
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Katy Texas. Water snake??

DJV2012
AG
Looks like two DBWS to me
ttha_aggie_09
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Any idea what type the giant turtles are?

phxAg
AG
Id help?
Badace52
AG
They are softshell turtles. Hard to tell if they are spiny or smooth softshells from those pics...

Location?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Badace52
AG
Broad banded water snake. Harmless but bitey little guys.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
phxAg
AG
Thx
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Katy Texas.

They are very cautious and move into water at the first sign of danger.
Badace52
AG
Could be either species in that area. The two are very similar.

They are also highly aquatic and awkward on land so they don't let anything get close when they are out of the water.
12f Mane
AG
In that habitat they are almost assuredly spiny soft shells
Ag 11
AG
Found on the side of my house

AggieDad2002
AG
I was out of town last week and my wife called me to say there was a rattlesnake on our road (west of Amarillo). I told her to have our 18yo son go kill it. A few minutes later I got this picture. The boy not only killed it, he cut the head off and cooked it for dinner!
Badace52
AG
Looks like it was a prairie rattler.
billyboy2001
AG

maroon barchetta
That's a beauty!

What kind?
BreNayPop
AG
coachwhip?
DatTallArchitect
AG
Coachwhip
maroon barchetta
That was my first guess but I thought most of them were darker.

Cool snakes.
HtownAg92
AG
These threads have increased my snake ID game so much. I've always been fine with coppers and rattlers (duh), but now am comfortable and up to about 90% accuracy on:

coachwhips
Eastern hogs
rats

I'm about 70% on differentiating cottons and non-venomous water snakes.
txags92
AG
maroon barchetta said:

That was my first guess but I thought most of them were darker.

Cool snakes.
Coachwhips have a very wide range of coloration. Some of the ones in west Texas are pinkish or reddish and get called Pink Racers or Red Racers. The ones in Central Texas around Bracken Cave are a very light tan like that and blend in perfectly with the limestone in the area.
P.U.T.U
AG
Coachwhips look angry and have wider heads than something like a racer. I have seen lighter ones like that close to darker ones at our property since we have rocks and vegetation. Even when it is cold outside they still move quick, ask me how I know.

When my nephew is out at our property when I am not there he takes pictures of snakes since he is trying to learn how to ID them. Good spot since we have copperheads, coral, rattle, rat, water snakes, water moccasins, coachwhip, racers, and the normal other ones. In the suburbs its often difficult to get kids off of their electronics on hot day, at our property we have to tell them to come in for a bit so they can stay up at night for bonfires and scorpion hunting
billyboy2001
AG
My girl and I were driving the other day. Just cruising around Marathon when a gorgeous red racer crossed the road. I put on brakes pretty good got out of the car just rushing to get my phone out and grab a pic but it was too quick for me. We sat there looking for it on the side of the road. I was like, "man that was gonna go on snake thread."
I've been starring yalls great posts but haven't been able to contribute myself.
pdc093

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
P.U.T.U
AG
Saw 7 snakes on my lunch run today, 6 water snakes (plain belly and diamondback) and a rat snake. First time my dog has been that close to that many snakes and he seemed to care less about them. Consider that run a win
pdc093
Right?
P.U.T.U
AG
Neighbor shot me this picture this afternoon asking what kind of snake, too easy. Looks like just a few feet away from where I saw a group of 3 watersnake earlier in the day. Collin county

Texmid
AG
Can that snake actually unhinge its jaw enough to eat that fish?
txags92
AG
Texmid said:

Can that snake actually unhinge its jaw enough to eat that fish?
If he gets started before the fish goes into rigor mortis probably. The fish will collapse down some as well.
2ndChanceAg96
AG
Broad banded water snake?
Badace52
AG
DBWS
Badace52
AG
Most likely... you should see the size of some of the channel catfish those things eat.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.