Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2023

286,885 Views | 1916 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by 12f Mane
Fishing Fools
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Maybe?

Sea Speed
AG
Shell seems a little too bland.

Sea Speed
AG
Also, this was the 2nd of 2 turtles I found walking across my property today. First one was released in to the pond as he was obviously walking over from my neighbors pond. He had a leech on his back I killed. This one seems out of place as I didn't think these kinds of turtles wandered around like this. I don't think I've ever seen a non aquatic turtle in the wild.
Oh no, we suck again?
AG
Sea Speed said:

3 toed box turtle ... TPWS has a link for you to report for tracking.
maroon barchetta
Jimbo Finisher said:

Sea Speed said:

3 toed box turtle ... TPWS has a link for you to report for tracking.

When I tried to report one recently, the TPWD site had instructions to download a form and snail mail it. I emailed the two contacts listed on the page to ask them what century it is at TPWD and both of those emails bounced because those people don't work there anymore.

I called TPWD the next day to let them know they needed a webpage update. They said they now take box turtle reports through this service:

https://www.inaturalist.org/
Sea Speed
AG
All I know is that my children are obsessed with turtles amd are probably going to go to bed dreaming about keeping one now that we had 2 encounters in one day.
agcrock2005
AG
From a friend in Glenrose area. My guess is cottonmouth because of way it's swimming above water, but the yellow thing is odd?
JDGS612
It's a leaf and some type of water snake. My official guess
Marsh
AG
I know nothing about snakes. Saw a few babies this weekend. Anyone willing to identify? TIA

txags92
AG
Hognose
Reginald Cousins
S
They didn't let it slide… what is it?
12th Man Ag
AG
Diamondback Water Snake?
TresPuertas
AG
My son had a near death experience in the pool today with the Deadly Backyard Texas Viper Rattler Constrictor

Luckily we escaped with our lives and the snake was safely relocated from the pool to the rock bed

agcrock2005
AG
JDGS612 said:

It's a leaf and some type of water snake. My official guess
How can you tell watersnake? I only thought cottonmouth because most of its body is above the water. Is that not proper way to analyze? Always trying to learn from this thread.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
This one is hard for me to tell but I see subtle markings like a rat snake. Head also looks like a rat snake.
JDGS612
It's just a guess but generally mature cottonmouths don't have that distinct of a pattern and that snakes fairly large to be a juvenile. The head also doesn't say viper to me but it's admittedly hard to tell which is why I said guess. I was also hoping someone better at it than me would chime in.
ATX_AG_08
AG
Too long/skinny for a cotton mouth.
nealan
Definitely cottonmouth
nealan
If you zoom in you can see the mascara easliy
DDSO
AG
nealan said:

If you zoom in you can see the mascara easliy

This was my thought but I have been wrong before.
agcrock2005
AG
Ha. Going to need Badace and 12F pretty soon. Glad I wasn't only one confused.
nealan
They're gonna come in and be like "that's definitely not a cottonmouth, idiot…"

And I'll quietly show myself out
agcrock2005
AG
Agreed. Really thought I was correct on CM but considering ttha thinks otherwise and bunch of other folks do as well, fully expecting it not to be.
jmazz
AG

MyNameIsJeff
AG
Fishing Fools said:

My most favorite.

How's the new Super Duty?
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Caught a Western Ribbon, Rough Earth, and Western Rat in the last week. They're moving. Hoping to come across a hognose, never seen one.
12f Mane
AG
nealan said:

They're gonna come in and be like "that's definitely not a cottonmouth, idiot…"

And I'll quietly show myself out
fasthorse05
Need y'alls help a little.

Got a 65 pound blue healer and "fill in the blank". He's about 9 years old (got him at 1 1/2 years from Dallas SPCA). Has extreme prey drive and food drive.

Other than the fact he's basically on Medicare at 63, or so, he's been very lethargic for the last four days and he's never been like that. I'm going to the vet in the morning, but it just dawned on me it's possible a copperhead or CM got him. I've given him Benadryl about an hour ago, but the variety of comments in the last three years regarding snake bites got me thinking. I have a reasonably large creed in the back and there are snakes back there, but I've only seen Water snakes. I'm sure others are around, I've just never seen them.

Based on past posts, lethargy is a very common sign. He still has his appetite, so I don't believe it's anything else, but this is just a post for those with experience.
Mr. Frodo
AG
Distracting myself from baseball game …

No expert but would think if he got popped he'd be swelled up somewhere or licking where he was hit.
fasthorse05
I tend to agree.

I also have baseball distraction syndrome, as it is with all Aggie issues.

Since he doesn't have a huge swollen area, it's likely something else. Preciate the response.
agcrock2005
AG
agcrock2005 said:

From a friend in Glenrose area. My guess is cottonmouth because of way it's swimming above water, but the yellow thing is odd?

Can someone please explain this one to me? Pic isn't mine but when I zoom in the head kind of looks like it could have mascara, and it seems to be swimming on top of the water. But can also kind of see vertical lines on the jaw. Wish there was a better picture.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
agcrock2005 said:

agcrock2005 said:

Can someone please explain this one to me? Pic isn't mine but when I zoom in the head kind of looks like it could have mascara, and it seems to be swimming on top of the water. But can also kind of see vertical lines on the jaw. Wish there was a better picture.
I don't think anyone can give a definitive ID based on that picture. The "mascara" could just as easily be a shadow.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
This. Every time I zoom in on my phone I get a glimpse of something a little bit different.
good nuggets
AG
Found this little guy outside of my house this morning. Any ideas?

maroon barchetta
Don't know but it's beautiful.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.