Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2023

287,635 Views | 1916 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by 12f Mane
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
3 foot is accurate, but I told my wife it was 6 foot.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
DatTallArchitect
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

3 foot is accurate, but I told my wife it was 6 foot.
P.U.T.U
AG
Mathguy64 said:

I must live life wrong. I have never seen a rattlesnake in the wild. Never seen a cottonmouth. Never seen a coral snake.

The number of copperheads I have seen is probably under 10.

I have been outdoors all my life. I've hunted WT for 40 years and been around water and boats a lot. So I have spent a lot of time where they would be and I look carefully. I never walk to or away from or get in or out of a deer stand without looking everywhere.
It is all location, location, location, and being lucky (relative word). If I spent most of my time around my current house I would never see any of those even though I probably see 100+ snakes around here a year. We go to our property and and I see a few of each venomous when I come when its not the winter. When I used to go to Snyder I would see rattlesnakes all the time. Dad used to live in Oklahoma and he had a lot of cottonmouth around his area.

The other part is some people are just not as good as others as seeing them. I grew up around a lot of copperheads so I developed an eye for seeing snakes and rarely do people see them before me. With that being said my fiance kicks my butt on seeing them and she is just learning. Guess it is from her coming from a long history of great military pilots that part of the reason they were good was their vision and seeing patterns (WWII, Vietnam, Korea).
ATX_AG_08
AG
Texmid said:

Texmid said:

Am I counting 11 rattles and a button?

I wasn't going to try to ask for him to hold still. But that begs the question since there isn't any really good perspective in the picture. That is a standard curb, about 6 inches. What is the general expectation on age and rattles or does it just vary widely?
I've always heard one year per rattle. That snake looks small to me compared to the curb. Like it may be 3 feet long.

This is a common misconception, that I believed until ace or 12th debunked on this thread. They gain a rattle every time they shed their skin, and they shed more often when they're young.

12f Mane
AG
Where do you live? That certainly dictates what you may or may not see.
RED AG 98
AG
Yikes!

P.U.T.U
AG
One PBWS on my run that was floating down a creek before it hit on the bank. Lots of skinks today
Mathguy64
AG
12f Mane said:

B/CS. I have hunted all over ETX my whole life.
HtownAg92
AG
Mathguy64 said:

12f Mane said:

B/CS. I have hunted all over ETX my whole life.
Should have run across a rattler near Snyder over the years. You're just down the road from Sweetwater, after all.

I dove hunted, hauled hay, poisoned mesquite / *****ly pears, worked outside in that area growing up and we saw a buttload.

Never saw a copperhead out in WT. Only ones we saw in the wild were at friends' place near Lake Livingston.

Cottonmouths all over the state.

Never a coral.
jgh85Ag
AG
We live in Selma. Found 2 dead corals and relocated 1 live. Killed 2 rattlesnakes. Used to see more rough earth snakes. Did find a very long rat snake shed in the garage but have never seen one.

Over the last 14 years
oh no
AG
RED AG 98 said:

Yikes!

holy ***** that's the kind of stuff nightmares are made of.
jgh85Ag
AG
Should have had a hat on.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
jgh85Ag said:

Should have had a hat on.
Then he would have known what kind of snake it was, being as high as his hat.
Badace52
AG
I've seen more cottonmouths than any other venomous snake growing up on the coastal plain. Seen my fair share of rattlesnakes, but all have been of the western diamondback variety. Almost as many copperheads as cottonmouths and maybe two or three coral snakes lifetime.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
nealan
I haven't seen a timber rattler in years and this is the second one I've seen dead on the road in two weeks. Panola County and now Gregg County about 30 miles apart.

12f Mane
AG
Bummer
nealan
For sure
P.U.T.U
AG
Beautiful snakes too
Mr President Elect
AG
Red Rocks last night. Walking back to the car along a main trail.

Belton Ag
AG
Mojave Green? I've heard their bites are nasty.
Mr President Elect
AG
Belton Ag said:

Pretty sure it's a Prairie. There are a ton of them in the foothills.

I wish I could have gotten a closer pic, but that was as close as I could get without getting yelled at by some drunk chick.
12f Mane
AG
It's a prairie rattlesnake
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Mr President Elect said:

Belton Ag said:

I wish I could have gotten a closer pic, but that was as close as I could get without getting yelled at by some drunk chick.
Should have told her to come over and pet your snake.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Mr President Elect
AG

Mr President Elect said:

Belton Ag said:

Should have told her to come over and pet your snake.
She was actually the one that was warning people about it.

Got me thinking what is the proper protocal there. She was staying back to tell other groups walking through, but when ready to leave do you just go on, or should you throw a rock at it or something? It was actually pretty dark even though the picture makes it looks like it was in a bright spot and the green plant right in front of it was kind of the soft edge of the walking trail, but there were big groups of people walking that could easily drift off onto it.
P.U.T.U
AG
I normally put glow in the dark top hats on them so they are easier to see at night
DaveHimself
AG
Coachwhip? SW Oklahoma

OnlyForNow
AG
That's be my guess
DoitBest
S
Is identifying coachwhips all about the eyes? And BTHO new mexico
12f Mane
AG
Coachwhip
OnlyForNow
AG
A lot of it is the eyes and their, "hey! Efff you too!" Look.
DaveHimself
AG
I actually ID by the scales first. But yeah they have that pissed off look to their eyes.
DDSO
AG
A little help with an ID please. My sister sent it to me from Broken Bow. My guess was a Pygmy rattlesnake but she said they didn't notice a rattle. She did say it was tiny.
Badace52
AG
You are correct. they often have very small buttons and few buttons that are easy to miss
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DDSO
AG
Thanks. Her and my niece were walking the log when they saw it. I know it scared them, but what a neat snake to find.
maroon barchetta
DDSO said:

Thanks. Her and my niece were walking the log when they saw it. I know it scared them, but what a neat snake to find.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.