Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2023

287,546 Views | 1916 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by 12f Mane
12f Mane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks to me that the lighter patch in the middle is where a nice big rat is.
txrancher69
AG
Finally have something for the snake thread, but sadly no pictures. Was shredding a pasture yesterday and came around a very large post oak (3.5' in diameter) when I saw some movement in the grass beneath it. Stopped the tractor and saw a good sized Texas Rat Snake (5' or so) wrapped around a full grown squirrel which was still struggling slightly. Within a minute the squirrel gave up the ghost and Mr. Snake unhinged his jaw to start working the head in. Over the next 20 minutes he got it all down having the most trouble with the hip girdle and thighs. Last to go was three inches of tail. Interesting spectacle. When I came past tree again that snake was climbing the trunk and already 8 feet or so up. There was no really noticeable bulge and the weight was not slowing him down in the climb. I believe he caught the squirrel up in the tree and in the struggle they dropped to the ground where I first saw them. Wish I could have taken pictures.
So three conspiracy theorists walk into a bar.................You can't convince me that's a coincidence.
txags92
AG
From our Next Door page in Bastrop.

Badace52
AG
That's a pretty cottonmouth.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
txags92
AG
Badace52 said:

That's a pretty cottonmouth.

I thought so too. Looks like a black and white photo.
BadAzzBohemian
AG
ID - about 12" Long
Great Plains Rat?
DatTallArchitect
AG
It's a rat snake, but I'm not good at differentiating between the different subspecies. That coloration though! I could see someone that didn't know their snakes mistaking that for a copperhead.
12f Mane
AG
Young Texas ratsnake. It's definitely lighter colored/pretty one though. Young of these and Great Plains ratsnakes look similar, but Great Plains won't have that gray head; their colors stay more uniform.
Fishing Fools
Not me with hammer.

jgh85Ag
AG
#1 reason I stopped using glue traps.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Odds of venomous snake bite when left unprovoked - low
Odds of venomous snake bite when attempting whack a mole - much, much higher

I don't care about the killing of the snake but I always find it hilarious when people kill snakes citing "safety" but put themself in a way more dangerous position in doing so.

Get a shovel or something if you have to, folks…
BadAzzBohemian
AG
Yeah, that is our neighbor who moved to Houston from Michigan.

Venemous and on the poch or driveway gets dispatched at our casa. Everything else lives to see another day.

We have nearly stepped on copperhead and water moccasins on our porch / driveway and the one time I let the moccasin live, it bit the dog a few days later.

jgh85Ag said:

Mr President Elect
AG
Which one of you was this?

ttha_aggie_09
maroon barchetta
With a baby in a carrier right there.

Good Lord.
agcrock2005
AG
jgh85Ag said:

Same. Caught a frog last year and felt so damn bad trying to free that little guy. I couldn't so had to put him out of his misery.
aggiesundevil4
AG
DBWS in Katy, fat and chillin', like me.

Cromagnum
AG
Mr President Elect said:

Which one of you was this?

Ok, I wasn't ready for that. Lmao
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Y'all I'm gonna stroke out reading nextdoor comments on a post asking for ID of a plain bellied water snake...

Here are a few highlights:

"Looks like a cotton mouth water mockinson poison as hell"

"That is a water moccasin very aggressive very fast and will chase you and they go faster than we can run"

"It's a cottonmouth water moccasin very poisonous and will strike at you if you get with in striking distance!!! I would kill it if I was you"

"That's the *TOUCH ME AND DIE* kind. Sooo please don't touch. Call animal control for snake removal or SHOTGUN it."

I try to educate these people but the people making completely ignorant posts like this usually think they're Steve Irwin reincarnated and won't listen. There also seems to be a correlation between awful grammar and inability to accept they're wrong.
maroon barchetta
People are idiots.

Thanos was our only hope but the stupid Avengers killed him.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience"
BadAzzBohemian
AG
I think I am following that thread. I was going to post, but it is hopeless. Too many idiots. A positive ID made within a few posts and people posting wrong IDs with ingellectual authority for days.

MyNameIsJeff said:

Y'all I'm gonna stroke out reading nextdoor comments on a post asking for ID of a plain bellied water snake...

"That is a water moccasin very aggressive very fast and will chase you and they go faster than we can run"

"It's a cottonmouth water moccasin very poisonous and will strike at you if you get with in striking distance!!! I would kill it if I was you"

"That's the *TOUCH ME AND DIE* kind. Sooo please don't touch. Call animal control for snake removal or SHOTGUN it."

I try to educate these people but the people making completely ignorant posts like this usually think they're Steve Irwin reincarnated and won't listen. There also seems to be a correlation between awful grammar and inability to accept they're wrong.
PharmD4
AG
Haven't had much to contribute in a while.

Badace52
AG
That water snake is in need of a good shed.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bulldog73
AG
I fully believe you, but what makes you say that? The discoloration from the back of the head to the rest of the body?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Look at his eyes
MAS444
AG
I'm assuming he meant the shed comment.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
That's what I am responding too. Blue foggy eyes are a big tell. Not sure all snakes do it but every pet snake I had did.
Badace52
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

That's what I am responding too. Blue foggy eyes are a big tell. Not sure all snakes do it but every pet snake I had did.

This! Plus his back is pretty dull.
Harrison Wells
AG
That was fantastic

Edit: And I could completely see my dog doing this **** to me
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

Snake threads on NextDoor are comedy GOLD!!!
VaultingChemist
AG

Something that I haven't seen before…….a young rattlesnake flattening out to catch more sun.
Callahan County, Texas.
ought1ag
AG
On a buddies place outside comfort
rak1693
AG
Have any of y'all heard that some rattlesnakes have quit rattling when they feel threatened in fear of nearby hogs? I've heard they've kind of adapted to not attract a hog's attention but idk if that's true.
BQ92
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.