Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2023

287,739 Views | 1916 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by 12f Mane
MyNameIsJeff
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggiesed8r said:

Yessir. Fer de lance.
Oof. I've seen some pretty awful pictures of what they can do.
Harry Stone
AG
aggiesed8r said:

Hiking in Central America.

that is badass
BT1395
AG
Real County, TX
Counterpoint
AG
aggiesed8r said:

I've watched enough Naked & Afraids to know exactly what this one is.
Mathguy64
AG
Yeah nope. Being naked in a rain forest and having a fer de lance around to potentially bite you in the unprotected chuggies makes you very very afraid.

Screw that.

Serious Lee
MyNameIsJeff said:

aggiesed8r said:

Yessir. Fer de lance.
just looked them up on wikipedia and theres a picture of an 11 year old with maybe the most necrotic/gangrene leg ive seen.
Sea Speed
AG
Speaking of angles, i didn't see a single brown anole as a kid and now insee SO MANY around Houston. It is wild. We just moved out to the Golden triangle and the browns are gone. Pretty wild.
12th Man Ag
AG
aggiesed8r said:

So, are you really this close to that sucker or is there some zoom lens help?

I had a friend doing research on frogs in the DR for her doctorate and she got tagged by one. Nearly died and almost lost her leg. They made a National Geographic special about her. The pics of her leg flayed open due to the venom were things of nightmares.
maroon barchetta
Sea Speed said:

Speaking of angles, i didn't see a single brown anole as a kid and now insee SO MANY around Houston. It is wild. We just moved out to the Golden triangle and the browns are gone. Pretty wild.

I've never understood what is golden about an area inside the Beaumont-Port Arthur-Orange boundary.
maroon barchetta
12th Man Ag said:

aggiesed8r said:

So, are you really this close to that sucker or is there some zoom lens help?

I had a friend doing research on frogs in the DR for her doctorate and she got tagged by one. Nearly died and almost lost her leg. They made a National Geographic special about her. The pics of her leg flayed open due to the venom were things of nightmares.
aggiesed8r
AG
About 5 feet away. We were at Manuel Antonio National Park. The guide pointed it out.
Bulldog73
AG
As a SETex kid who moved away: Oil, liquid gold. Or the bubbas get so plastered they give each other golden showers on the regular. Both fit.
12f Mane
AG
Don't see many in that immediate area
jgh85Ag
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Sea Speed said:

I've never understood what is golden about an area inside the Beaumont-Port Arthur-Orange boundary.
Because Austin already had the ******* of Texas title.
rak1693
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Sea Speed said:

On the Outdoor Board, I always figured the real Golden Triangle was Laredo, Cotulla, and over to Eagle Pass
Hwy30East
maroon barchetta said:

Sea Speed said:

The name comes from the spindle top era / oil and all the wealth that came from that area.

Of course it's all moved out now.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
aggiesed8r said:

About 5 feet away. We were at Manuel Antonio National Park. The guide pointed it out.
We also went through that park with a guide. The wildlife they can spot is amazing.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Counterpoint
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

aggiesed8r said:

We also went through that park with a guide. The wildlife they can spot is amazing.

Glad I saw sloths there instead of fer de lances!
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Counterpoint said:

Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

aggiesed8r said:

Glad I saw sloths there instead of fer de lances!
Our first sloth was on the way to Poas Volcano. There was a tour bus pulled over on the side of the road with about 15 other cars. The little dude was crawling along the electrical lines over the road between poles and everyone was taking pictures. The bus driver said he's usually there about this time every day.

We finally got to see real tree sloths in Manuel Antonio. Also saw a bad ass green snake and a pretty big anteater on a night hike we did.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Watchful Ag
AG
Crossing the road yesterday morning in Freestone County

DJV2012
AG
Pattern on that one is gorgeous
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Pretty snake!
Mr. Frodo
AG
No doubt headed north to cup of Joe's new place !
SpreadsheetAg
AG
DJV2012 said:

Pattern on that one is gorgeous
agree; big pronounced Hershey Kisses
fasthorse05
MyNameIsJeff said:

aggiesed8r said:

Yessir. Fer de lance.
My understanding of the Fer de Lance is it is by far, the most common venomous snake from central America through Brazil. I'm sure mosquitos are still the most dangerous animal, but only because there's thirty billion of them with about 15 different diseases.

Hate is how progressives sustain themselves. Without hate, introspection begins to slip into the progressive's consciousness, threatening the progressive with the truth: that their ideas and opinions are illogical, hypocritical, dangerous, and asinine.
This is backed by data.
Cromagnum
AG
Wrong thread
BadAzzBohemian
AG
Bit the JRT. Slithering right where we play in the backyard most evenings. Damn thing just disappears in the grass to where it is hardly visible.

BreNayPop
AG
dead snake in my yard… for sure
ttha_aggie_09
AG
How's the dog doing?
BadAzzBohemian
AG
Can't tell from photo, but head is mostly detached.

Wife took her to the vet just in case. Thanks for asking.
2ndChanceAg96
AG
Sorry but what snake is that?
krosch11
AG
Cottonmouth
2ndChanceAg96
AG
Ok. That was where I was leaning. Thanks.
DBill
AG
Neighborhood near my home here in AZ. Snake was relocated successfully. We are very close to reservation land and open desert. Beautiful snake and glad it was not killed.

I know what it is, but figured I would let others take a guess.
krosch11
AG
Black tail?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.