Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2023

287,623 Views | 1916 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by 12f Mane
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DDSO said:

A little help with an ID please. My sister sent it to me from Broken Bow. My guess was a Pygmy rattlesnake but she said they didn't notice a rattle. She did say it was tiny.

Eesh, going to Broken Bow next month with my wife and 3 little girls... will be on the lookout
Sea Speed
AG
Not another snake but I think this is a grey tree frog and I think the last one was a copes gray. This one is much larger. Kids absolutely love finding frogs in and around our outdoor shower. There are tons that seem to live out there.
1990AG
AG
Not a great pic….got stuck in the deer net at a friends house. This is the third lately. South of Atlanta GA

Young PBWS?

1990AG
AG
this has been up for 3 hours and still not id'd! What is happening here??

12f Mane
AG
I was driving. It's a pbws.
1990AG
AG
12f Mane said:

I was driving. It's a pbws.
Thanks 12f! I got it right!!

maroon barchetta
1990AG said:

this has been up for 3 hours and still not id'd! What is happening here??

If it lasts more than four hours you should see your doctor.
Txag6442
ATX_AG_08
AG
Photos aren't great. Went to dump some fish guts in a drainage canal by my dads and saw 2 DBWS. One tried to eat them but bit off more than he could chew. Rockport

UmustBKidding
Son was tasked to relocate this from an employees home this AM. He was wondering what it was since he had to pick up to bag it for release elsewhere. My WAG is rat snake.

12th Man Ag
AG
Yup. Rat.
12f Mane
AG
Great Plains ratsnake
NoahAg
Dumb question: How bitey are rat snakes? I was playing with a broad band water snake (trying to get a good pic) and he struck at me. Even though I know it's nonvenomous I still don't like getting bit.

So what safe snakes don't mind getting picked up?
SteveBott
AG
A rat will bite if handled.
txags92
AG
NoahAg said:

Dumb question: How bitey are rat snakes? I was playing with a broad band water snake (trying to get a good pic) and he struck at me. Even though I know it's nonvenomous I still don't like getting bit.

So what safe snakes don't mind getting picked up?
Hognoses, speckled kingsnakes, indigos are a few I have known to be very docile in the past.
agcrock2005
AG
Badace52 said:

In general they will congregate near water during times of drought, but it depends on the species. some species of snake require very little water and don't mind longer periods of drought too much. The water snakes, garter snakes, cottonmouths, and other heavily water dependent species (more for feeding than water really) will definitely be more concentrated in times of drought.
I forgot to report back. We saw 5 rattlesnakes around the water hole one night, but only two were close enough to warrant being shot. Dove were everywhere. Didn't see any other snakes like I thought I would. Previous years we would see a lot of bull snakes when dove hunting. About 3 years ago I shot a dove and about 1 minute later found it, and part of it was already inside of a snakes mouth. Almost had to change my drawers.

HtownAg92
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Badace52 said:

In general they will congregate near water during times of drought, but it depends on the species. some species of snake require very little water and don't mind longer periods of drought too much. The water snakes, garter snakes, cottonmouths, and other heavily water dependent species (more for feeding than water really) will definitely be more concentrated in times of drought.
I forgot to report back. We saw 5 rattlesnakes around the water hole one night, but only two were close enough to warrant being shot. Dove were everywhere. Didn't see any other snakes like I thought I would. Previous years we would see a lot of bull snakes when dove hunting. About 3 years ago I shot a dove and about 1 minute later found it, and part of it was already inside of a snakes mouth. Almost had to change my drawers.

Similar experience when dove hunting near Devine when I reached toward a spent shotgun shell under a *****ly pear and was warned off with a hiss and rattle. After dispatch, the snake got to keep scaring buddies when his carcass was neatly coiled under the tailgate, by the cooler, on the path, etc. to greet them.
Harry Stone
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Badace52 said:

damn your face is sunburnt. may wanna use some sunscreen next time.
YellAgs
AG
About a 5 footer in Goliad County.

maroon barchetta
He has eaten a lot of rats to get that big.
krosch11
AG
Is that finally an indigo sighting!?
12th Man Ag
AG
What is that? Coachwhip?
TarponChaser
12th Man Ag said:

What is that? Coachwhip?

Nope. Indigo.

Coachwhips aren't that thick and they always look pissed off. That dude looks pretty mellow.
krosch11
AG
Drop him off with agcrock2005 and let him remove those rattlesnakes for free .
Badace52
AG
Texas Indigo
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
We did the same with a rattler that some guy stoned to death at field camp out in Marathon. A coat hanger and some cactus made some entertaining viewing as people came back from the field.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
HtownAg92
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

We did the same with a rattler that some guy stoned to death at field camp out in Marathon. A coat hanger and some cactus made some entertaining viewing as people came back from the field.
Dove trip entertainment at its finest. Another good trick to play on your boys -- leave your hat, keys, whatever in someone else's motel room and then ask for their key to get it when everyone is out getting ready to go to dinner. Then go back and put their heater on blast.
Aggie-03
HtownAg92 said:

Dove trip entertainment at its finest. Another good trick to play on your boys -- leave your hat, keys, whatever in someone else's motel room and then ask for their key to get it when everyone is out getting ready to go to dinner. Then go back and put their heater on blast.
I would fight you no matter how good a friend you are. That sounds awful! Haha.
HtownAg92
AG
Aggie-03 said:

HtownAg92 said:

I would fight you no matter how good a friend you are. That sounds awful! Haha.
They got pretty good payback -- they got the dogs in the pool, then in the dirt and mud, then on our beds -- on the covers and under them for good measure.
Badace52
AG
Sent by a friend in China Spring a few moments ago... she was reaching for the hose spigot.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
That thing is tiny.
oh no
AG
/that's what she said .gif
maroon barchetta
He just wants a drink.
mandevilleag
Friend of mine took this picture during a hike in the mountains above Pasedena, CA (Mt Wilson area).

We're assuming it's a melanistic southern pacific rattlesnake.

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Oh man, found a biggun in the house! The cat was trying to make a new friend.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.