Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2023

281,598 Views | 1916 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by 12f Mane
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Missed probably the best chance I've ever had to catch an indigo last night. Was in an open flat on the edge of a creek, chilling in the road when we drove up on it in the UTV. Jumped out and chased him, got my hand on the back of him but slipped out of grip and then he bolted into brush. I chased after him and ripped my jeans but he went under rocks beneath cedar the roots and disappeared. Every bit of 5.5-6' and healthy. This is probably the fastest type of snake I've ever tried to catch.

One of these days I'll catch oneā€¦ awesome snakes!
Badace52
AG
That's pretty cool. Still never seen one in the wild.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
boulderaggie
AG
Any ideas? We're in the foothills of Boulder, CO

Giant Garter Snake?
mandevilleag
I was weed whacking the ditch and hit this legless lizard. The damage seemed to be superficial, but it was definitely stunned. Thought I'd share a picture since they are somewhat difficult to catch with their combination of speed and tendency to drop break off their tail. Cool little creatures.

maroon barchetta
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Found this guy kinda dried out in my backyard; took him about a 300 yards back to a pond in the back of my neighborhood

aggiedata
AG
I'm out in west Texas and we see three of these snakes crossing the road in about a mile.

I took a picture of the last one. What is it??

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Bull snakes
Badace52
AG
boulderaggie said:

Any ideas? We're in the foothills of Boulder, CO

Giant Garter Snake?

I don't think it's a garter, but honestly I'm at a bit of a loss on this one. It has the general appearance of a water snake but I've never seen one with a pattern even remotely like that. Paging 12f... ttha... zooguy??

Edit: On closer inspection of the photo, I think it may just be a beast of a western terrestrial garter snake. I just don't know what else it could be in that area.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
boulderaggie
AG
Hmm. Well, Left Hand Creek runs through the property, so it could be a water snake. He is a bit chunky for a garter.
Daddy-O5
AG
Any clue how big? Hard to tell from the photo. Could be a lined snake?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I'm convinced it's a water snake species but don't know enough about snakes of Colorado to be able to say which one. I'm stumped hereā€¦

I'm sure 12fmane got us.
Badace52
AG
I had the same thought when I first saw it, but lined snakes have a different head shape and a white border to the scales on the upper jaw.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
A fat yellow bellied racer?
MouthBQ98
AG
I see a faint back stripe. It's a garter snake, just not sure what kind.
boulderaggie
AG
Right around 3 feet or more. Two of them sun in the same general area. I'll try and get a better shot the next time i see one.
Daddy-O5
AG
In addition to Badace's valid observations, probably too big for a lined snake.

Agree with others watersnake is most likely but color is weird.

Cool find.
2ndChanceAg96
AG
I'm a complete rookie and often get water snakes wrong but I would have gone 100% YBWS!
Daddy-O5
AG
I didn't know this off hand but googled it, looks like the only native watersnake species in that region is the Northern Watersnake.
Copperpot
AG
I haven't posted in awhile as the snakes have been quiet here in Grimes County. That said, saw this little guy today. Lizard, salamander or newt?

Copperpot
AG
Here's what I assume is a Garter Snake from April in Grimes County.

Copperpot
AG
Here's a hognose from last Fall in Grimes County that I never posed.

Bulldog73
AG
As possibly the least in the know person on this thread, I'm going to say skink.
Badace52
AG
Bulldog73 said:

As possibly the least in the know person on this thread, I'm going to say skink.
This... which is a group of lizards. Not great at skinks, but this is maybe a broadhead skink?
Badace52
AG
Copperpot said:

Here's what I assume is a Garter Snake from April in Grimes County.

coachwhip
CM
maroon barchetta
Copperpot said:

Here's a hognose from last Fall in Grimes County that I never posed.

Is that a raw photo? No color fixing?
Copperpot
AG
I just brightened it up a bit.
maroon barchetta
Ok. I was curious. That red would be cool if natural.
Copperpot
AG
Here's some untouched pictures.

Copperpot
AG
For reference, the skink was 8"-10" long. The only ones I've ever seen are 2"-3".
Copperpot
AG
Crazy, as I say I haven't seen any snakes, I see this guy just now. I assume water snake or rat snake?

Badace52
AG
Broadhead skinks are huge. Makes me more confident that it is a broadhead.
Reginald Cousins
S

Ag83
AG
Diamondback water snake
maroon barchetta
What kind?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.