Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2023

286,894 Views | 1916 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by 12f Mane
Reginald Cousins
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
BoykinAg2017 said:

Not sure on this one, but I'm guessing ratsnake? Just north of Toledo Bend

If it's that squiggly it's gotta be. Hell I don't even know snakes that well.
BoykinAg2017
AG
Yeah. I've been loosely following these threads the past couple of years, just had never heard that. Admittedly I don't know that much about snakes.
Reginald Cousins
S
BoykinAg2017 said:

Yeah. I've been loosely following these threads the past couple of years, just had never heard that. Admittedly I don't know that much about snakes.

Don't know what kind of rat but it's pretty much the only ones that shape up like that I've seen on here the past few years.
txags92
AG
Looks like a black rat snake to me.
Bulldog73
AG
Near the Waco area. Not near any noteworthy body of water. Rat? Definitely safe, I'm not that dumb.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Diamondback Water Snake
P.U.T.U
AG
Wylie/Sachse. Had my phone in me yesterday and saw another 3 diamondback watersnakes
Null and Void

Turtles paying their last respects to a deceased dbws. Any ideas as to what the white object might be? It was about 3" long.
Ag83
AG
The white thing holds Christmas lights to gutters or shingles.

I'm not kidding.
Null and Void
Appreciate it, thanks!
TacosaurusRex
Knucklesammich
VaultingChemist said:

Something that I haven't seen before…….a young rattlesnake flattening out to catch more sun.
Callahan County, Texas.
Made me remember a story my dad told me from his youth.

They were working cattle one day in Lampasas County when he was 10 or 11, so the mid 1950's. There was a tank that had a pretty big oak tree about 100 feet from the edge. One of their bulls was laying down in the shade and as they rode up they saw a big fat rattle snake laid out like that in the shade made by the bull's front legs.

Said the bull didn't seem to mind and the snake appeared to be sleeping.
Cromagnum
AG
Txgunrnnr said:

rak1693 said:

Have any of y'all heard that some rattlesnakes have quit rattling when they feel threatened in fear of nearby hogs? I've heard they've kind of adapted to not attract a hog's attention but idk if that's true.
And they've been know to wear hats too!

As adorable as those are, they are way cooler on a sea urchin.

P.U.T.U
AG
Here are 2 from the other day, it is warm today so if I decide to go on a walk I will likely see another 5+. There were 3 right before I took this picture but one slithered off

MouthBQ98
AG
Finally showed up.
jgh85Ag
AG
You must have the field of dreams for copperheads.
Aggie-03
Wife wants to burn the house down, but my Snake Thread knowledge allowed me to easily ID, relocate snake and move on with our day!

Brought a cooler inside in preparation for a crawfish boil tomorrow. Must have brought this guy in as well. Oops!
2ndChanceAg96
AG
ribbon snake??
Badace52
chickencoupe16
AG
Not a great picture, but this little guy was in a friend's pool.
STB 85
AG
Southern Coleman County. Saw him from two steps away last week. Almost 6 feet. Never rattled. We both escaped unscathed.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
That's how it works most of the time. Snake doesn't feel threatened so it's not going to give away its location. I think most people would be shocked how many rattlesnakes they've encountered very closely without them rattling, myself included.
Diamond Dogs
S
What is everyone's guess on this one? The Nextdoor experts in Argyle say it's a Timber but I'm extremely skeptical for obvious reasons. Unless someone's catfishing the crazies on that app….
DatTallArchitect
AG
That's a rat snake.
Badace52
AG
100% not a timber rattlesnake and looks nothing like one. It doesn't even have keeled scales. Not sure it is a ratsnake either though it could be. Where was this snake located and any idea on size?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BreNayPop
AG
That looks like a rat pattern to me too.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I agree and was leaning towards prairie Kingsnake. Could also be Great Plains Ratsnake…
NoVAag91
AG
Badace52 said:

100% not a timber rattlesnake and looks nothing like one. It doesn't even have keeled scales. Not sure it is a ratsnake either though it could be. Where was this snake located and any idea on size?

Okay, has this ever happened before?
Badace52
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I agree and was leaning towards prairie Kingsnake. Could also be Great Plains Ratsnake…

This is where I am as well. Prairie kingsnake was my first intuition. Need 12f to chime in.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Badace52
AG
For sure. 12fmane is the real snake authority on this thread. If you catch him questioning its probably a really bad picture.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Yes it has and as Badace said, if 12fmane is stumped it's because of picture.
Ag83
AG
I'm also in the prairie kingsnake camp.
Coward Jimbo
AG
Could it possibly be a bullsnake?
2ndChanceAg96
AG
This was my thought as well.
Badace52
AG
Savior Jimbo said:

Could it possibly be a bullsnake?

No definitely not. Pattern and color are wrong and bullsnakes have strongly keeled scales.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.