Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2023

286,898 Views | 1916 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by 12f Mane
Daddy-O5
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Buttermilk racer.
cww18
AG
Thanks!
12f Mane
AG
Lots of good stuff lately. Here's a few recent Montgomery Co finds

cottonmouth

Louisiana milksnake

buttermilk racer
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Great pics as always! I've never seen a Louisiana Milk Snake in the wild. I imagine they're pretty well tempered?
12f Mane
AG
They usually are but in my experience they spaz out a lot. Frustrating to photograph.
agcrock2005
AG
That cottonmouth looks like an *******!
12f Mane
AG
It was big and grumpy
cheeky
AG
krosch11 said:

Random question but where does the Texas Indigo usually roam?
I caught a very large Indigo in Leon County about 20 years ago (between Centerville and Crockett) so their range may be expanding, or it was lost. Biggest snake I've caught at nearly 6 feet, and it didn't seem to mind.
12f Mane
AG
They do not range to Leon Co and aren't expanding. Either it was brought there or you caught something else.

Edit to add that coachwhips, especially in that area, can be almost solid black. Here's a couple from Brazos/Grimes Co.

cheeky
AG
It was on my parent's place and I took it to my Dad, who taught Science early in his career out of college as a coach. He collected snakes for much of his life and can tell you the Latin name for most reptiles in the Southwest to this day. He was surprised as well. Perhaps someone relocated it, but it seemed to be thriving.
cheeky
AG
I caught three coachwhips last year. I know the difference.
12f Mane
AG
Very cool. Lots of stuff shows up where it shouldn't be, and with something like an indigo that has a positive reputation, it isn't surprising.
P.U.T.U
AG
It is interesting how snakes do stick to certain areas. We have a ton of water snakes in our area (Collin county) but no water moccasins. We have plenty of prey in our neighborhood (wooded golf course with tons of ponds) so I am glad they haven't slithered this way. Saw 6 water snakes on my run today
Stive
AG
How far north do those "black coachwhips" roam? In NE Texas, as a kid in the 80's, we used to have some pretty long, skinny, black snakes that we called chicken snakes. Thinking back on it they don't seem to fit the darker versions of rat snakes but maybe that's what they were. They were also super fast.

The last one I saw that fit this description was about 4-5 feet long in our yard in Tyler 5-6 years ago. He definitely wasn't a rat snake nor was it a water snake of any sort. Long racer maybe? One of these dark coachwhips?
txags92
AG
Stive said:

How far north do those "black coachwhips" roam? In NE Texas, as a kid in the 80's, we used to have some pretty long, skinny, black snakes that we called chicken snakes. Thinking back on it they don't seem to fit the darker versions of rat snakes but maybe that's what they were. They were also super fast.

The last one I saw that fit this description was about 4-5 feet long in our yard in Tyler 5-6 years ago. He definitely wasn't a rat snake nor was it a water snake of any sort. Long racer maybe? One of these dark coachwhips?
Eastern/Black Racer or Black Rat Snake maybe?
P.U.T.U
AG
We have coachwhips in Carmine, don't think they go too much north of that.

Very well could have been a "black" rat snack. Saw one the other day in Collin county that made me do a double take since we normally have the common pattern eastern rat snakes. I saw a mud snake the other day in Longview but those are easy to identify with the red on them
Stive
AG
txags92 said:

Stive said:

After looking at pictures and ranges on google, I'll lean towards black rat snakes. My home town growing up and current town of Tyler are on the western edge of their range but it looks like they're in it. The ones we used to see never seemed to have the typical "saddle" pattern that western rat snakes have so I was pretty sure these weren't those...they were too often black over all.

We could have also been seeing some racers as well and thinking they were all the same type of snake.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Great pics as always! I've never seen a Louisiana Milk Snake in the wild. I imagine they're pretty well tempered?

They tend to get really drunk and throw bourbon bottles in the stands, from experience
swampdog01
AG
Stive said:

txags92 said:

Stive said:

After looking at pictures and ranges on google, I'll lean towards black rat snakes. My home town growing up and current town of Tyler are on the western edge of their range but it looks like they're in it. The ones we used to see never seemed to have the typical "saddle" pattern that western rat snakes have so I was pretty sure these weren't those...they were too often black over all.

We could have also been seeing some racers as well and thinking they were all the same type of snake.

Grew up in Tyler, family land in Henderson County near LaRue SE of Athens...we have coachwhips for sure, solid black. They are fast as hell and make your heart skip a beat when you see one in the long grass of a hayfield.
maroon barchetta
Had to encourage him to get out of the road and head across the ditch into the woods.

He was stubborn. And big for a copperhead. 2' plus.
Badace52
AG
Beast of a copperhead.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Badace52
AG
cheeky said:

krosch11 said:

Random question but where does the Texas Indigo usually roam?
I caught a very large Indigo in Leon County about 20 years ago (between Centerville and Crockett) so their range may be expanding, or it was lost. Biggest snake I've caught at nearly 6 feet, and it didn't seem to mind.
Do you have any pictures of that snake? I realize it's unlikely but it would be cool to see.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
maroon barchetta
It's a beauty!
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Badace52 said:

Milwaukees Best Light said:

I have a generator snake question for the experts. Do venomous snakes inject venom into their prey? Or do they strangle them? Injecting venom seems taxing on the snake and what if the prey runs away before dying?

In addition to what Daddy 05 said, snakes have an extremely well developed sense of smell. If prey does run a long way before dying, they can track the scent like a bloodhound.

The forked tongues are used to pick up scent and then the snake deposits the scent molecules from the tongue to an organ in the mouth called Jacobsons organ.

Depending on which side of the tongue has more scent molecules on it, the snake can tell the direction the scent is coming from.
Every time I see the depth of your knowledge in that noggin, you push the limits even farther. Got a bit of OCD in ya?

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Badace52
AG
Have a brother with OCD, but I'm very very not OCD.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Similar story to the others on an indigo sighting south of chorizo springs on a one lane lease road along a fence line. The snake was pretty far down the road and I thought someone was pumping water from a well to a pond or cattle cistern. Then the hose moved off the road before I could get close. Same thing for me, it seemed to stretch across the road from head to tail.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Ezra Brooks
AG
Where is "chorizo springs"...I need to go there,
HtownAg92
AG
Ezra Brooks said:

Me too. I think it is close to Frijoleville and Tortilla Gap.
maroon barchetta
HtownAg92 said:

Ezra Brooks said:

Is that by Chalupa Canyon?
HtownAg92
AG
maroon barchetta said:

HtownAg92 said:

Ezra Brooks said:

No, that's actually a strip club on the outskirts of Edinburg.
Badace52
AG
HtownAg92 said:

maroon barchetta said:

HtownAg92 said:

Ezra Brooks said:

No, that's actually a strip club on the outskirts of Edinburg.
I though Chalupa Canyon was the name of a Welsh ***** who could do things with her one good arm that would make you forget about that thing on her neck.
MouthBQ98
AG
Lots of water snakes this year.

SteveBott
AG
Will they go after your eggs like rats?
fasthorse05
Okay, I can tell it's a water snake by the mouth.

But, if I'm looking at the markings from tail to head, it looks quite similar to a CM. Basically, I want to be able to identify CM's faster. Yes, I could look at the cat eyes of the CM, but by that time, I better be walking on water or doing my best Barry Sanders.
DatTallArchitect
AG
The color pattern is noticeably different. Compare the above image to this pic of a cottonmouth.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.