Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2023

287,346 Views | 1916 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by 12f Mane
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rat snake? My 71 year old mom called me freaking out about a "copperhead in my house". Lol.
Badace52
AG
Saw a coachwhip and a yellow bellied racer on a walk today by the San Gabriel River. Both too fast to get pics.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DatTallArchitect
AG
It's a blurry picture, but I think you've correctly identified it as a rat snake. It's definitely not a copperhead or any other venomous snake. I see some of that rat snake crinkle in its body.
FTAG 2000
AG
2ndChanceAg96 said:

I'm guessing torn ACL chasing snakes.
12f Mane
AG
That's a young prairie kingsnake
agcrock2005
AG
12f Mane said:

That's a young prairie kingsnake
Thanks. Rare to be in Justin, Texas?
12f Mane
AG
I don't think they are uncommon in the prairies north/west of DFW
Cromagnum
AG
Toad straggler of a rain storm washed someone up on our front patio while I was at work. Wife took a (poor) picture from kitchen window.

davidmargarita
AG
Hard to tell behind the screen, but looks like a green anaconda.
SteveBott
AG
No no no. Green Mamba!
jgh85Ag
AG
It's a rattlemoccahead according to nextdoor.
Cromagnum
AG
jgh85Ag said:

It's a rattlemoccahead according to nextdoor.

Actually I think it's a coppermambacasin.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
We were out walking the dogs and stopped to talk to a neighbor when The War Department said "Sharon, come over here and stand by me". She saw a snake in the yard moving away from us so I immediately tried to run over for the picture but the rat snake made it to the bushes along the slab probably to home base. The lady said thanks and said she would have freaked out and said she would tell her husband to get a shovel. I told her to leave it alone, it was doing its job for the neighborhood and explained the only two snakes she would have to worry about given where we live.

She said "how do you know so much about snakes?" The War Department said "he reads a website forum all the time, they have some snake experts on there".

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Reginald Cousins
S
Bit a buddies dog. Based on dog swelling only one answer right?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Cottonmouth
Reginald Cousins
S
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Cottonmouth

That's what we thought.
tree91
AG
Found out who was eating my eggs. He was curled up in the chicken house fat, dumb, and happy. I relocated him to the back of the ranch, so hopefully he can't find his way home.
LoneStarAg2004
AG
Found this guy chilling on my pool pump this evening.
maroonblood90
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

We were out walking the dogs and stopped to talk to a neighbor when The War Department said "Sharon, come over here and stand by me". She saw a snake in the yard moving away from us so I immediately tried to run over for the picture but the rat snake made it to the bushes along the slab probably to home base. The lady said thanks and said she would have freaked out and said she would tell her husband to get a shovel. I told her to leave it alone, it was doing its job for the neighborhood and explained the only two snakes she would have to worry about given where we live.

She said "how do you know so much about snakes?" The War Department said "he reads a website forum all the time, they have some snake experts on there".

That's some Good Bull right there.
MJ20/20
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

Did you a least slap her around a little bit for the lip?
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Are you kidding? Not in front of the neighbors, they think I wear the pants in the family. I boss her around when she's moving and weedeating...because she can't hear me.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Null and Void

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Pond is looking way better than last year
Null and Void
Recent rains have most definitely helped.
Ag83
AG
Big 'ol ribbon snake living under my patio...

Mathguy64
AG
Under our truck this morning in Bryan.

Badace52
AG
Very cool!!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Mathguy64
AG
So where can it be relocated? My house and property don't exactly scream "natural box turtle habitat"
Badace52
AG
I can't really say. I don't know where suitable habitat would be in your area. Most animal relocations are vastly unsuccessful and essentially death sentences.
Maybe contact tpwd and see if they have recommendations.
Mathguy64
AG
It's very clean. Like someone's pet level clean.
Null and Void
Pup came within a foot of this dbws before we noticed. Snake never flinched, it just slowly slithered back into the pond.
jgh85Ag
AG
Is this true?
Badace52
AG
If habitat is good it is mostly true, though males will go searching for females outside their general habitat. If habitat deteriorates, they will migrate away.

It should be noted they actually usually stay in a much smaller area than one mile. Like in the 100s of yards range from where they hatched.
Mathguy64
AG
Well we put him back in the yard in a flowerbed near where we found him. A couple of hours later he was gone.
Badace52
AG
Probably the best plan honestly.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.