Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2023

287,606 Views | 1916 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by 12f Mane
Deerdude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Those little ones scare me. These ears don't hear them any more so their life is in peril if I react harshly when startled.
chickencoupe16
AG
Deerdude said:

Those little ones scare me. These ears don't hear them any more so their life is in peril if I react harshly when startled.
That's probably because of the hogs, not your ears
Deerdude
LOL
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Confession time.

The kids got out of school end of May so we left the country on vacation June 2nd. We get back, however many days later, and I go to check on Thunder, the boys' ball python, only to find the enclosure slightly opened and no snake inside.

Wife freaks out, neighbors, friends, family, etc all freak out.

I had a number of snakes growing up and they would occasionally escape and I'd find them typically within a few days in my bedroom on a window sill or whatnot. I tell everyone to chill, table the divorce papers, etc, we'll find him at some point soon. He can go a long time without eating, he'll be fine. Tear the house apart, nada.

Well long story short, we get home last night from baseball and basketball and lookie who finally decided to make an appearance .

Appeared in good health. Got a fresh bowl of water and is now well fed.
AgEng06
AG
Nope. Nope. Nope.

The only snake that's gonna be loose in my house while I'm sleeping is mine.
CowtownAg06
AG
Incredible. Wonder where he was holed up and how many fewer rats you have.
chickencoupe16
AG
Did an internship one summer and became friends with two other interns. One day at lunch, one guy asks us what we're doing that night. I already had plans but the other guy says he's free. Then the first guy drops the bomb that he needs help searching for his roommates python that he is taking care of and is loose, presumably in the house. They searched that night and didn't find it. The guy wound up finding it 3-4 days later. He slept in that house the whole damn time.
maroon barchetta
He's been missing inside the house for five months??
bodaciousbood14
AG
Think he's been sitting on this story for five months
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Escaped sometime between June 2 and June 10.
txags92
AG
CowtownAg06 said:

Incredible. Wonder where he was holed up and how many fewer rats you have.
Had a fellow geology major that had a python. Hers got loose in her apartment for several months and she finally found it coiled up in the back side of the refrigerator where the warm coils were.
AgEng06
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

Oh good Lord
agcrock2005
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

Yeah, no way my wife (or I) would sleep in the house knowing a snake was loose somewhere in it. That's a store that nightmares are made of!
aggiesundevil4
AG
My Burmese python (7 footer) escaped through the bungee cord strapped lid of its aquarium while we were gone for spring break in college. We slept next to knives for a month just in case, and one day it fell through the air con grate in the ceiling onto the floor one day.

No idea to this day how it got in there. Cinder blocks were used on the lid from then on.

Funny thing was, I also owned a boa constrictor in the same aquarium and it never escaped.
2ndChanceAg96
AG
Man, now I want a snake again.
JCA1
AG
If you gotta sleep with a knife next to your bed if it gets out, can you really call it a pet?
Badace52
AG
You guys are hilarious getting riled up over a little ball python. That thing could do literally nothing to you. Your mid sized dog could go rabid or just have a really bad day and literally rip your throat out. This thing could maybe give you a small abrasion... at worst.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggiesundevil4
AG
Lol. I never called it a pet. I owned them for a couple years because the previous owner was a zoology type major and he got in a life changing car accident.

We did have some awesome feeding parties though. I'd buy live rats and put them in the truck bed and we'd gather round drinking beer and watch the snakes hunt and eat.
txags92
AG
Badace52 said:

You guys are hilarious getting riled up over a little ball python. That thing could do literally nothing to you. Your mid sized dog could go rabid or just have a really bad day and literally rip your throat out. This thing could maybe give you a small abrasion... at worst.
Giant Python Snake Bites And Wraps (Woman Owner) Handlers Arm Snake-Animal Attacks Caught In Camera - YouTube
txags92
AG
aggiesundevil4 said:

Lol. I never called it a pet. I owned them for a couple years because the previous owner was a zoology type major and he got in a life changing car accident.

We did have some awesome feeding parties though. I'd buy live rats and put them in the truck bed and we'd gather round drinking beer and watch the snakes hunt and eat.
My uncle had a Boa that got killed doing that. He put two large mice in the cage at once and walked away. When he came back a few hours later, the snake was dead. It had apparently bitten and started swallowing one of the mice and the other one started chewing on the back of the snake's head and neck and ended up killing it somehow.
aggiesundevil4
AG
Ours were always supervised while feeding
HtownAg92
AG
I had a law school buddy that basically let his snakes -- including his 10' albino burmese -- roam free around his apartment. He lived at Allen House and his place was disgusting. Separate cages for rats, frozen bunnies, fleas, poop, etc.
Badace52
AG
That's a reticulated python... different bag of worms entirely. That thing could potentially take you out and retics have had cases of confirmed kills on humans. Their bite is more of a laceration than an abrasion as well.

ETA: Plus reticulated pythons just have a bad attitude in general
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Every other Thursday night "unleash the fury, Mitch" (Road Trip movie reference) parties at our apartments. It consisted of ball pythons, mice and a bathtub lol
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Reticulated Pythons are born into this world mad… F those grumpy *******s
txags92
AG
Badace52 said:

That's a reticulated python... different bag of worms entirely. That thing could potentially take you out and retics have had cases of confirmed kills on humans. Their bite is more of a laceration than an abrasion as well.

ETA: Plus reticulated pythons just have a bad attitude in general

When my sister was working at the zoo in Victoria when I was a kid, they had a 14' Retic that somebody had handed over to them. I hated walking past that thing because he would occasionally strike at the glass when you walked by.
agz win
AG
HtownAg92 said:

I had a law school buddy that basically let his snakes -- including his 10' albino burmese -- roam free around his apartment. He lived at Allen House and his place was disgusting. Separate cages for rats, frozen bunnies, fleas, poop, etc.

What place at Allen House isn't disgusting.
agcrock2005
AG
2ndChanceAg96 said:

Man, now I want a snake again.
japantiger
S
One month ago...bit Rowdy.
nealan
He bit your dog, Rowdy ?
Or
He was a bit rowdy ?

Either way , no good
japantiger
S
He bit my dog Rowdy....2nd snakebite for him. Last time was a rattlesnake. He protects the family! He's a warrior. He killed the rattlesnake previously....I took care of this one. Both one step off the back porch (out different doors).
nealan
Trophy room needs a Copperhead coiled up by the pool table !
japantiger
ttha_aggie_09
aggiesundevil4
AG
Did you dispatch it with your Blaser? Was anything left?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.