Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2023

287,770 Views | 1916 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by 12f Mane
DoitBest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
I.D ?
txags92
AG
Juvenile racer maybe?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Dekays Brown Snake
DoitBest
S
It was definitely quick, retreated every time tried to move him...
Badace52
AG
Pretty sure it is a juvenile coachwhip starting to shift to its adult coloration. It's definitely not a brown snake.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Maybe it's the angle but his head doesn't look like a coachwhip to me
DoitBest
S
Only other pic I have..
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Sure looks like Badace was right - that's a coachwhip head.
P.U.T.U
AG
Yeah he is rarely wrong. It looks a little pissed so I say juvenile coachwhip as well
FTAG 2000
AG
BreNayPop said:

Grand cayman racer?
Winner.
12f Mane
AG
Yep, young coachwhip
P.U.T.U
AG
Ended up seeing 10 water snakes in one area yesterday. They were active and didn't seem phased by use being a few feet away. Collin county

maroon barchetta
Like most OB members, they probably wanted you to leave them alone so they could do some fishing in peace.
Mas89
AG

This guy was in the pool this morning. No idea what kind and the first we've found in our pool.
@ggie
AG
This one was right at the back door. It didn't make it. PBWS?

Badace52
AG
YBWS, but they are the same species so pretty much yeah.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
rak1693
AG
Cottonmouth? I saw the head and smelled a musk when I got close so I was 90% sure it was. Just hoping I didn't kill some sort of water snake
agcrock2005
AG
nm. I should just let the experts say. I say 51% watersnake though.
TheClaw07
AG
Would need to see a picture from the side of his head. Kind of looks like it might have "mascara" but it's really hard to tell. My guess is cottonmouth.
Daddy-O5
AG
Watersnake. They can have a pretty nasty musk too.
FTAG 2000
AG
TheClaw07 said:

Would need to see a picture from the side of his head. Kind of looks like it might have "mascara" but it's really hard to tell. My guess is cottonmouth.

This. But based on tail I think it was chewing cotton.
krosch11
AG
Eyes look more on the side than on closer to top, and that head shape while dead looks like venom glands on the side . My guess is cottonmouth
Badace52
AG
That's a cottonmouth.
rak1693
AG
Here's a closer up picture I took of the head if this helps
P.U.T.U
AG
Need a better picture from the side of its head but does look like rails on the side of the head which means cottonmouth, plus the eye location. Even more importantly is Badace52 said it is a cottonmouth so...its a cottonmouth
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Don't rely on head shape exclusively but look at how much wider his head looks than it's body. The unprovoked (because it's dead) V-shape is also a good indicator.
12f Mane
AG
Cottonmouth
oh no
AG
That's a water moccasin!
P.U.T.U
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Don't rely on head shape exclusively but look at how much wider his head looks than it's body. The unprovoked (because it's dead) V-shape is also a good indicator.

I didn't say anything about head shape, rails meant mascara lines
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I know you didn't - my comment about head shape was sort of a disclaimer, because most people hyper focus on it.
rak1693
AG
Unrelated to my previous post, my parents came home to this last night curled up at their front door
maroon barchetta
It's hot outside.

He would like to be invited in.
Bulldog73
AG
He looks friendly.
txags92
AG
Saw this one the other day from a bike team facebook page. No idea the original source, but the story is the snake struck at the bike as it was riding by and got wrapped into the rear derailleur.

P.U.T.U
AG
About 15 years ago I saw a large cottonmouth crossing a mountain bike trail so I made sure it crossed before i continued on. Stupid me did not realize it was a switch back so lets just say I know how Evil Knievel may have gotten started, had my feet up on the top post of the bike.

Rowlett nature preserve has a ton of copperheads, I love snakes but after seeing 7-8 right off tough parts of the trails a few times in a row I stopped going. It was only a matter of time I fell right on one.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.