Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2023

287,758 Views | 1916 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by 12f Mane
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Big show! My dog found it on the fence line and gave her critter alert bark.

DeBoss
AG
Love the Texas Cobra!
TarponChaser
Sorry for the glare. Couldn't get the sucker to stop moving long enough to get a good pic. But can y'all ID the specific species of water snake here? Took this last week up in the Ozarks of south-central Missouri.

Took the boys fishing for their fall break to the same place we went last year. They may be stockers but the smiles are real.

TresPuertas
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Big show! My dog found it on the fence line and gave her critter alert bark.

it's almost becoming a bucket list item to see one of these in the wild. it sounds crazy but i'm beginning to think i'm cursed.

MouthBQ98
AG
Looks like Diamondback water snake to me but hard to tell.

Hell of a trout stringer.
TarponChaser
MouthBQ98 said:

Looks like Diamondback water snake to me but hard to tell.

Hell of a trout stringer.

I thought that too but it looked a little off and thought it might be some strain of northern water snake.
TarponChaser
I tinkered with the photo settings to see if it's easier to ID now. I didn't think Diamondback water snakes were in the Ozarks though.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I've only seen a few in person but I'm pretty sure that's a Northern. I would defer to 12f or Badace
TarponChaser
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I've only seen a few in person but I'm pretty sure that's a Northern. I would defer to 12f or Badace

We saw 3 of them and this was the only one I could get to hold still for a pic and I couldn't catch them to grab one either. I was a little surprised at how active they were- temps were in the upper-50's to low-60's and water temps were about 60 too.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Regarding the temperature - I caught one in Michigan when it was in the 50s-60s and it was on the edge of a river. I'm sure they're better adjusted to colder temperatures and can feed/be more active below temps that our gulf snakes would normally be dormant but I really don't know.

That's also a good question for 12f or Badace though…
PharmD4
AG

maroon barchetta
"Oh hai!"
DatTallArchitect
AG
Gulf coast ribbon snake?
PharmD4
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

Gulf coast ribbon snake?

Yep, as far as I know.

Or as my daughter said (because I caught it of course), "It's a ribbon snake, but his name is Bob".
Badace52
AG
Ttha is right. It's a northern water snake, more specifically a subspecies of Northern water snake referred to by the common name Midland Water Snake.

In reference to the temperature question. Water snakes are generally more tolerant of cooler temperatures than other species of snake. You can even find our local water snakes active in the winter at times when the water warms just a little.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MillerLatte
I don't like having these guys around the ranch with dogs.

aggiesundevil4
AG
Wow
MAS444
AG
Cute little fella.
Mathguy64
AG
That's a well fed diamondback.
bodaciousbood14
AG
****. That.
krosch11
AG
You got some new boots in your future. That's a fat boy.
HtownAg92
AG
Mini truck, forced perspective.

j/k that's a big f'er.
Txgunrnnr
AG
HtownAg92 said:

Mini truck, forced perspective.

j/k that's a big f'er.
No, it's a Tonka Truck.
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
Mas89
AG

Cottonmouth? I stopped the utv to get a couple photos and it came toward me real fast. Gassed it lol.
DJV2012
AG
Definitely a cottonmouth
Stive
AG
Yep
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Yes - 100% cottonmouth
Daddy-O5
AG
I mean. I'm pretty sure it's a cottonmouth. Definitely 100% maybe.
oh no
AG
Nope.

Water moccasin.
agz win
AG
Always makes me think of Lonesome Dove.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Almost stepped on this little dude, between Huntsville and CS.

Badace52
AG
Rough green snake... cool snakes. Occasionally you can find them with mutations that make them entirely blue or yellow.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TJaggie14
AG

Was curious what y'all's thoughts were on this rattlesnake roundup that happens in Sweetwater, TX.

Saw some videos that were for it, others that were against it. Specifically folks were saying the venom milked isn't used/sold because it isn't collected in a sterile environment. Also the "gassing" to collect the snakes.
maroonblood90
AG
I've never been but have always wanted to go. Thanks for posting the video - cool to see it. 5,000 pounds of rattlesnakes!
TresPuertas
AG
TJaggie14 said:

Was curious what y'all's thoughts were on this rattlesnake roundup that happens in Sweetwater, TX.

Saw some videos that were for it, others that were against it. Specifically folks were saying the venom milked isn't used/sold because it isn't collected in a sterile environment. Also the "gassing" to collect the snakes.
I've been. Am a snake lover. Specifically a rattlesnake lover.

Didn't bother me at all. There is no shortage of WDBs in the state and as far as I understand won't be

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.