Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

527,923 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by robstrom
CTGilley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any thoughts on extended charging handle latches? I think I am about to pick one up for my .308.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/charging-handle-parts/latches/tactical-latch-sku093249020-1387-5315.aspx
jabberwalkie09
AG
They're useful if your optic sits back far enough that it hangs over the latch. There are charging handles that come with the extended latch though....
TheEyeGuy
AG
CTGilley said:

Any thoughts on extended charging handle latches? I think I am about to pick one up for my .308.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/charging-handle-parts/latches/tactical-latch-sku093249020-1387-5315.aspx

On my hog rig that uses a red dot, not a big deal. On my other ARs that use scopes, big help.
CTGilley
AG
I was just looking at cost and a little worried about capability. I already have the charging handle and it is much cheaper to replace the latch. I want to move the scope back to make it more comfortable.

I am not sure why I have been just dealing with it so long. Fail on my part.

Thanks guys.

edit. hit post early
CTGilley
AG
Any recommendations on a break for the .308 AR? I know I need a can but that is not happening at the moment.

Insert Tacticool joke, but I can't stand to look at the bird cage that is on it currently.

Used primarily for punching holes in paper.
maverick2076
POF makes a great brake/compensator.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Lantac Dragon
Puryear Playboy
AG
Dragon. You won't regret it. Those shooting around you will...

Edit to add...Lantac should have a 5/8x24 available now or soon with Gemtechs two lug mount incorporated into the brake.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I put one of their 5.56 brakes on an AR yesterday that had the lugs for a Gemtech.
CTGilley
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Lantac Dragon
Any TexAgs pricing?
jabberwalkie09
AG
CTGilley said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

Lantac Dragon
Any TexAgs pricing?
$125.
CTGilley
AG
Great Price! Thank you.

Y'all are going to get me thrown out of my own house. I will look to add that to my order when the APEX group buy goes live.
texrover91
AG
The Wonderer said:

maverick2076 said:

Rifle caliber. I already have a pistol caliber AR.
Sorry, eyes got fuzzy on me.

.458 SOCOM

Man - I've been way too long finishing my .458 build - this thread is getting me motivated, just so I can get on to my .375 socom

Bender - have you played with any sliding/telescopic PDW stocks, specifically an MVB type that operate with a standard bolt carrier?

I'd like to put an MVB etc on my SBR and swap between any caliber upper but I'm not sure if there is a 'universal' buffer/spring solution
Naveronski
AG
texrover91 said:

The Wonderer said:

maverick2076 said:

Rifle caliber. I already have a pistol caliber AR.
Sorry, eyes got fuzzy on me.

.458 SOCOM

Man - I've been way too long finishing my .458 build - this thread is getting me motivated, just so I can get on to my .375 socom

Bender - have you played with any sliding/telescopic PDW stocks, specifically an MVB type that operate with a standard bolt carrier?

I'd like to put an MVB etc on my SBR and swap between any caliber upper but I'm not sure if there is a 'universal' buffer/spring solution

There is one that does, I think it's the MVB ARC, but I could be mistaken.
texrover91
AG
Thank you - it's the only one I've found so far

need to research calibers/buffers
Walter Kovacs
AG
Central Committee
AG
I have a Surefire SOCOM brake which also serves as a fast attach for my Surefire SOCOM can.

I think the Lantac Dragon is a moderately better brake but I love the dual purpose of the Surefire.
BenderRodriguez
AG
texrover91 said:

I haven't, unfortunately.

I'm tempted to try one, but I have way too many other irons in the fire right now.

Speaking of which, since this thread has been a success, I'm working on a few posts to start a general pistol discussion thread with, including a general post on newbie handgun advice, range and carry gear, etc. Hopefully it will become the resource I think this thread has been to those interested in the AR. Should get it finished up this week (I think).

Walter Kovacs
AG
Naveronski
AG
DPMS LR-308

What do I need to know before buying a used one? How is their parts interchangeability? Reliability? Any common issues they develop over time?

Have a friend that's selling one, and I'm hoping to make a deal.
tlh3842
AG
Less flexible parts wise than your run or the mill AR15, but plenty of options right now for customization if you wanted down the line. Reliability can be great. If it's a good deal and you want it, no reason to turn it down.
Naveronski
AG
That's good to hear.

I've heard some "AR-10" makers use a lot of proprietary parts, and want to avoid that.
BenderRodriguez
AG
The photobucket debacle really makes this post less fun, because I can't find any pictures of my old set up. As I may have mentioned (or not), I was heavily into AKs before I got into ARs. I've since sold off all but one (and only regret selling one of them, and then only sometimes).

The one I have left is a Saiga (Russian made AK) that was imported in "sporter" configuration for many years. Back when I picked it up, Saigas were running under $300 and ARs were closer to the $1,000 range. My how times have changed.

There are lots of good and bad things about AKs. One big negative is no great way to mount western optics that doesn't require chinweld or making the gun super front heavy (or that was the case back then, less so now). My solution at the time was a set up like this:

Now, mine was even worse because it wasn't smooth but had 1913 rails, and I mounted a flashlight as well. It was my HD gun until I got into ARs. It had what I needed, which was an optic and a light but it was a front heavy SOB. Kind of hated it in that configuration, but needed an optic and light for HD use so kept it.

Well, fast forward a few years and I have ARs much better set up for HD. So I stripped all the crap off my AK and I've been enjoying a light, fun to shoot gun.

But, I still had a 30mm red dot from the old mount. Got to looking around and MI makes a QD 30mm red dot mount that attaches to the old side accessory rail. Reviews were good, so I picked one up.

This mount is light years better than my old handguard style mount. It sits very low to the receiver cover and you do have lower 1/3 cowitness through the red dot. It's also light, easy to adjust tension on and quick detach.

I'm not going back to AKs, but this one is going to be taken out a lot more than it used to be with this new red dot set up.
AGricola08
AG
Nice! I actually just bought my first AK (palmetto state armory)... i wanted something cheap, cheap to shoot, and that could get kicked around and I wasnt going to be worried about it. Most reviews on Gen 2 were good so I went for it. I havent shot it yet, but fit and finish seems good. I am planning on working the hammer tomorrow since the BCG hangs up a bit. I was just looking at one of those side mounts for a red dot...... probably going to grab one.
BenderRodriguez
AG
I hope you have good luck with it. I'm pretty hesitant with American AKs. We went to the moon, but we still can't build a peasant rifle very well.

Another option for optics mounting is the ultimac rail that replaces the gas tube, if you're willing to go with a microdot. I just wound up adding so much weight to the front of my rifle that it really threw off the balance and became almost unfun to shoot.

Let me know if you have any AK questions.

AGricola08
AG
I appreciate it. This was me dipping my toe in the AK world instead of going full on and buying a Rifle Dynamics or Krebs or something. I am way more into the AR15 thus far but wanted to mix it up. Probably just screwed myself and opened a whole new can of worms (wallet) haha
maverick2076
BenderRodriguez said:

I hope you have good luck with it. I'm pretty hesitant with American AKs. We went to the moon, but we still can't build a peasant rifle very well.

Another option for optics mounting is the ultimac rail that replaces the gas tube, if you're willing to go with a microdot. I just wound up adding so much weight to the front of my rifle that it really threw off the balance and became almost unfun to shoot.

Let me know if you have any AK questions.

The TWS dogleg mount is supposed to be really good too.
45-70Ag
AG
Aero lower
PSA upper

Still need a bcg/ch and some kind of site, can't decide if I want iron, holographic or some kind of scope.

BenderRodriguez
AG
Irish_Man said:

Aero lower
PSA upper

Still need a bcg/ch and some kind of site, can't decide if I want iron, holographic or some kind of scope.

For me that really depends on what I'm going to use it for.

For a dedicated home defense gun, red dot reigns supreme.

For a do anything and everything gun, I really like magnified prism scopes...be that Primary Arms, ACOG, whatever is in your budget, from 3x to 5x depending on your area and preferences.

Just for fun plinking, irons are always enjoyable.

Variable magnification scopes are nice, but I'm shifting more away from them in favor of either red dots or prism scopes.
45-70Ag
AG
Yeah this is for plinking and hogs
Kind of addicting. Now I want a 6.5 creedmor
The Wonderer
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

Irish_Man said:

Aero lower
PSA upper

For me that really depends on what I'm going to use it for.

For a dedicated home defense gun, red dot reigns supreme.

For a do anything and everything gun, I really like magnified prism scopes...be that Primary Arms, ACOG, whatever is in your budget, from 3x to 5x depending on your area and preferences.

Just for fun plinking, irons are always enjoyable.

Variable magnification scopes are nice, but I'm shifting more away from them in favor of either red dots or prism scopes.
Or just multiple weapons with different sights instead of just changing the sights.
TheEyeGuy
AG
Got to shoot an AR18 today... full auto... Yeah... something other than the gun moved when I was shooting it. Soooo much fun.
bkag9824
AG
Know there's lots of opinions on this in earlier pages/threads but I'm felling lazy.

Thoughts on the Magpul MIAD? That or just MOE?

What LPK would you throw on an Aero stripped upper/lower set (pistol) that will be chambered in 300 BLK for a dedicated home defense gun? I'm interested in budget minded but also want some good parts. Are the PSA or ALG kits good enough while not breaking the bank?

Already planning on a 9" barrel with 10" ALG MLOK (no budget for SBR/suppressed at moment so prob just a kak or flaming pig) & a red dot.

Stock?

My offering in penance for not searching threads:

https://instagr.am/p/BaDAOIOn_NQ
TheEyeGuy
AG
bkag9824 said:

Know there's lots of opinions on this in earlier pages/threads but I'm felling lazy.

Thoughts on the Magpul MIAD? That or just MOE?

What LPK would you throw on an Aero stripped upper/lower set (pistol) that will be chambered in 300 BLK for a dedicated home defense gun? I'm interested in budget minded but also want some good parts. Are the PSA or ALG kits good enough while not breaking the bank?

Already planning on a 9" barrel with 10" ALG MLOK (no budget for SBR/suppressed at moment so prob just a kak or flaming pig) & a red dot.

Stock?

My offering in penance for not searching threads:

https://instagr.am/p/BaDAOIOn_NQ
Only part that is a huge deal in a LPK is the FCG so I'd get a cheaper non-FCG lower and add in an ALG ACT and have a really good setup for not a lot.
maverick2076
The MOE grip is fine. However, Mission First Tactical has a grip with interchangeable front and back straps that is my go to AR grip.

I'd go with the PSA LPK with their enhanced polished trigger. It's a pretty good improvement for just a few bucks more than their standard LPK.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.