Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

527,902 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by robstrom
DatTallArchitect
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have you looked at XS Sights?
Naveronski
AG
Mtn_Guide said:

So I have a 4x ACOG.

Does anyone on here run a Red dot on top of the their ACOG? Any thoughts?
I have. It was fine, but I very rarely used it. Just wasn't for me.

Try it, you might like it.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Naveronski said:

Mtn_Guide said:

So I have a 4x ACOG.

Does anyone on here run a Red dot on top of the their ACOG? Any thoughts?
I have. It was fine, but I very rarely used it. Just wasn't for me.

Try it, you might like it.

No experience here but I'd try that and an offset 45, see which one I liked. If you like the on top method, you can sell the offset mount.

Naveronski
AG
I have never tried the 45* method, but I think I would prefer that over the "on top" mount.

I wasn't a fan of having to break my cheek weld to use the dot.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Any recommendations on a good red dot for a 45 degree mount?

I'm assuming a smaller unit, like Vortex Venom , would be ideal? I just have a hard time justifying spending $250-300 bucks on a secondary sight.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I'm just happy to see posts in good numbers on this thread again... I was getting worried for a while that the eye relief derailment was the end...
maverick2076
If you have another gun that needs magnified optics, Burris is running a promotion right now where you buy one of their fixed power AR scopes and get a free Fastfire 3.
maverick2076
https://www.slickguns.com/product/burris-ar-332-3x-prism-sight-239-100-rebate-139-final-price
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I have eyeing that deal. Any feedback on the 3x32 sight?
maverick2076
I've never used it, although I am looking at it myself for my wife's rifle. The reviews I have read are almost all positive. I don't think you can go wrong for the price when you consider the free FF3.
CharlieBrown17
AG
For that price Id get it, when I bought my prism scope I wasn't in love with that reticle and went primary arms instead for the ACSS. The scope itself was nice.
BenderRodriguez
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

For that price Id get it, when I bought my prism scope I wasn't in love with that reticle and went primary arms instead for the ACSS. The scope itself was nice.

I think I'm really going to like the acss reticle. That 5x pictured above has it.
CharlieBrown17
AG
It's great. I've been eyeing the 1-6 they make with a Chevron instead of a dot.

And you don't need to tell me, I noticed that 5x already
CharlieBrown17
AG
it's nails on for m855, if I've been shooting my rifles frequently 300 yards is 19/20 on a 8x16 plate for me and 400 is probably 15/20 on a similar sized plate for my PSA nothing special AR. I'd be confident on body sized steel out to 600 I'm pretty sure.
BenderRodriguez
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

it's nails on for m855, if I've been shooting my rifles frequently 300 yards is 19/20 on a 8x16 plate for me and 400 is probably 15/20 on a similar sized plate for my PSA nothing special AR. I'd be confident on body sized steel out to 600 I'm pretty sure.

Nice. I need to finish this CW/lightweight build so I can slap the 5x on it and get used to it before June.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I'll be shooting my rifle with the 4x out there, not expecting too much. That'll be the first real off bench shooting I've ever done. Especially after running and etc.
maverick2076
I love the ACSS reticle. I've got the 1-6x with the dot instead of the chevron, and I am planning on getting the red dot with it for my 10.5" build.
CharlieBrown17
AG
How do you like the 1-6?
maverick2076
It is awesome. It presents a lot of info in a very easy and intuitive reticle that manages to not be overly busy.
87IE
AG
What is the general consensus on trigger replacements over mil-spec?

CMC, Timney, Geissele, any others?

I think I may want to replace the stock trigger in the 6.8 I just finished building. I plan on using it mainly to hunt and see them from 160 to 350 bucks.

Thanks

AGricola08
AG
I have a Geissle SSA that is really nice (2 stage). I also have an Elftman Tactical ELF trigger (the service edition) that is also really nice. The ELF is a single stage, rotates on needle bearings, and has just about zero take up or over travel. The Service edition I have is adjustable from 4-7 lbs. They have two other editions that are much lighter pulls. I really like both and are definitely a noticeable difference from a mil spec trigger.
Average Joe
AG
Velocity makes a fantastic single stage. Also very good price.
BenderRodriguez
AG
I've tried quite a few on mine or others guns. Lots of good options from lots of companies.

The thing that makes the Geissele triggers so good to me is the combination of reliability, customer service, and trigger quality.

They're damn good Americans making great products, and I am a huge fan of their products. the product quality alone makes them worth buying but knowing the quality of the company and people behind it makes me happy to recommend them to others.
mts6175
AG
87IE said:

What is the general consensus on trigger replacements over mil-spec?

CMC, Timney, Geissele, any others?

I think I may want to replace the stock trigger in the 6.8 I just finished building. I plan on using it mainly to hunt and see them from 160 to 350 bucks.

Thanks

LaRue MBT has become my favorite even over my SSA-E's.....
87IE
AG
Thanks for the info.

I'll read up on y'alls suggestions.
TamuKid
AG
Finished my second build, Intended to be an SPR-type rifle, but not a true SPR.
18 inch 223 Wylde, 1:8, SPR profile from Ballistic Advantage, SilencerCo Flash Hider.
Larue 2 stage trigger, SLR M-LOK handguard, SLR Adjustable gas block, aero upper, lower, and bcg.
Harris bipod, magpul M-LOK bipod adapter, Magpul furniture, 45 degree irons.

Haven't shot it yet. Ordered some match Freedom Ammunitions 69 and 77 grain to see how good it can be.
Have a Burris MTAC on it for now. Eventually going to get a Vortex, probably the Gen II PST.
I'm curious how far it'll reliably reach. I'm hoping to bring it to 600+

First build in the back.

BreNayPop
AG
Gorgeous
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Sweet!

Newbie question:

What is SPR?
CharlieBrown17
AG
Special Purpose Rifle
BenderRodriguez
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Sweet!

Newbie question:

What is SPR?

You're about to fall down a really fun rabbit hole.

SPRs, Mk12s, Mk18s, Recce, Mini Recce, Mod-H......
TamuKid
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Sweet!

Newbie question:

What is SPR?

Long history. Someone like MKTwelve on here could give you much more accurate than I, as I think he's a purist. As a true SPR refers to the Navy's Mk12, of which there are several types or "Mods". Quite a few people try to build to the EXACT specs of these different Mods, which mine deviates from quite a bit.

But for the layman (like me), SPR stands for Special Purpose Rifle (used to be Special Purpose Receiver). You may also hear DMR, Designated Marksman Rifle. It was made to be more long distance capable than the m4 carbine (14.5"). But it was still more maneuverable than the original m16 (20"). Basically it's built for intermediate to long range engagement, while still capable in CQB.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Thanks! I have already fell down the rabbit hole... just am buying and learning after.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Good explanation
TamuKid
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

Sweet!

Newbie question:

What is SPR?

You're about to fall down a really fun rabbit hole.

SPRs, Mk12s, Mk18s, Recce, Mini Recce, Mod-H......

Seriously, the real SPR rabbit hole is a little too deep (money wise) for my pockets. Between parts from KAC, PRI, NightForce, and OPS Inc alone, I'd be at double the cost of my entire build. Haha
AverageJones
AG
Posted another thread, but here's the Grendel build I just finished (thanks EyeGuy)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.