Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

494,314 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
Naveronski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Please explain barrels- I see references in ads for 14.5' barrels. doesn't some one like me need a 16'?

16" total, yes.
You can achieve that by using a 16" barrel, or a 14.5" barrel + a permanently attached muzzle device.
maverick2076
It'll work with any standard lower
dr_boogs
AG
quote:
quote:

Dubi - adding an ambi safety to my 15-22 is on my to-do list, why will S&W parts be my only option?

I was incorrect above about M&P being sole source. Mr dubi says 15-22 ambi's are just not common.

"Pricey" because they cost 2 x as much as AR ambi.

He bought me this one.

Dr Boogs, you can try mine when we go shooting!

Works for me!
Mr. Dubi
Because the M&P 15-22 uses a non-standard lower and receiver extension, you have to use the BAD lever. I don't recall where I got it; from BAD, Joe Bob's, Primary Arms or someplace else.
GigemCO2008
AG
Question about handguard length

I am building a 300 blk that will eventually be a 2 stamp gun.

1st, what are the main differences besides length in a 9" and 10.5" 300 blk out barrel? Does the length affect sound suppression or ability to run subs?

2nd - choice of Handguard length. There are both 9" and 10.5" handguard lengths. If I buy a 10.5" barrel and 10.5 handguard, will the handguard extend past the barrel? I plan on adding just a basic flash hider till I choose a can and wait 9 months for the stamp.

I have not assembled an AR before, but this thread has given me the assurance that I can do it.

I didn't know how with a barrel nut and how the handguard marries up if a 10.5 handguard will stick out further than a 10.5" barrel without a flash hider already attached.

Thanks y'all!
The Wonderer
AG
quote:

1st, what are the main differences besides length in a 9" and 10.5" 300 blk out barrel? Does the length affect sound suppression or ability to run subs?
Not past 8" which is generally accepted as the optimum length barrel for 300 blk.

2nd - choice of Handguard length. There are both 9" and 10.5" handguard lengths. If I buy a 10.5" barrel and 10.5 handguard, will the handguard extend past the barrel? I plan on adding just a basic flash hider till I choose a can and wait 9 months for the stamp.
The handguard will extend to the end of the barrel (past the threads). Most people that run cans on weapons with less than 10" barrels get handguards that cover some if not all of teh can as well to extend a rail another few inches.

I have not assembled an AR before, but this thread has given me the assurance that I can do it.

I didn't know how with a barrel nut and how the handguard marries up if a 10.5 handguard will stick out further than a 10.5" barrel without a flash hider already attached.

Thanks y'all!
Naveronski
AG
You can always buy the barrel first, and measure what you have to work with when it's mounted to the upper. Takes more time, but avoids problems.
GigemCO2008
AG
So should I look more at going with an 8" barrel then for optimal performance?

I had originally thought using 9 or 10.5 so I could still fire and be half decent since it will probably be a year until a can goes on.

I didn't know 8" was considered optimal.

I am looking Kak Mr blondes barrels, any other suggestions that I should consider?

Thanks!
TheVarian
AG
quote:
HBecause the M&P 15-22 uses a non-standard lower and receiver extension, you have to use the BAD lever. I don't recall where I got it; from BAD, Joe Bob's, Primary Arms or someplace else.
http://www.battlearmsdevelopment.com/bad-ass-st-short-throw-ambi-safety-selector-ar15-ar10r

This one?
dubi
AG
quote:
quote:
HBecause the M&P 15-22 uses a non-standard lower and receiver extension, you have to use the BAD lever. I don't recall where I got it; from BAD, Joe Bob's, Primary Arms or someplace else.
http://www.battlearmsdevelopment.com/bad-ass-st-short-throw-ambi-safety-selector-ar15-ar10r

This one?
No. your link is for an AR.

15-22 ambi
http://www.battlearmsdevelopment.com/bad-ass-mp15-22-ambi-safety-selector-smith-wesson-m-p15-22
230Ag
AG
quote:
quote:

Not past 8" which is generally accepted as the optimum length barrel for 300 blk.

The handguard will extend to the end of the barrel (past the threads). Most people that run cans on weapons with less than 10" barrels get handguards that cover some if not all of teh can as well to extend a rail another few inches.

Thanks y'all!

I'd actually prefer to get a hand guard that is about 1 inch shorter than the barrel so you can easily remove the can- unless you don't ever plant to take the can off.
txyaloo
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thanks y'all!

I'd actually prefer to get a hand guard that is about 1 inch shorter than the barrel so you can easily remove the can- unless you don't ever plant to take the can off.
Why would a longer hand guard make it hard to remove the can? It definitely would be harder to remove/replace a muzzle device, but a direct thread or quick attach can doesn't really have issues being installed/removed with a long hand guard.

35chililights
AG
I think he means that you can easily remove the can to shoot it unsuppressed.
Puryear Playboy
AG
I used a 12" hand guard on my 8" 330Blk with a QD YHM can. It's the perfect setup in my opinion if you don't have any intention of shooting unsuppressed.
GigemCO2008
AG
That's my whole thing about handguard length and barrel length. It will take so long before I have a can, so I would like to have some fun in the mean time.

I think I will just get a 10.5 Midwest hand guard and a value line kak 10.5 barrel.

Then in a year from now I can get the better barrel once the can is purchased.

The handguard price difference doesn't go up much from 9-10.5, so I'd rather only buy that part once. The value line Kak melonite is only 100.

Thanks for the help guys!
Mr. Dubi
Don't put a rail over a brake, just in case nobody has mentioned that...
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
Yes, this is important to remember.
dubi
AG
quote:
quote:
Yes, this is important to remember.
Why not????

Surely there is Youtube?
35chililights
AG
quote:

You can. You'll just need some extra hardware to safely pull it off.

TamuKid
AG
quote:
quote:

I'm confused. What does that accomplish/prevent?
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm confused. What does that accomplish/prevent?
Directs the muzzle blast and concussion forward instead of the sides. These are pretty standard attachments on AR pistols, especially those running 10.5" and shorter.
reveille23
http://i.imgur.com/2vBVaNal.jpg

Break under the handguard = new handguard
txyaloo
AG
quote:

Could also = new fingers depending on how close to the muzzle you hold your rifle
txyaloo
AG
I'm thinking about picking up a Troy Tomahawk for a new 300blk build. Has anyone on here run one before? I'm wondering if it's any better than the HK A3 stocks

GigemCO2008
AG
Is this in the same category as Shockwave Blade? That it is more of a brace than stock?
txyaloo
AG
It's a full stock. Will be going on an SBR

TamuKid
AG
quote:

Wow. How the hell does that happen? Heat and pressure over time?
txyaloo
AG
quote:
quote:

Think of Looney Tunes when Bugs sticks a banana down Elmer's barrel.

A compensator directs gas out of ports on either side of it. That gas has enough pressure to split a hand guard when it's installed over the muzzle. It also has enough force to burn/remove fingers like a cylinder in a revolver. The device schmelba posted helps contain the gas
TamuKid
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Think of Looney Tunes when Bugs sticks a banana down Elmer's barrel.

A compensator directs gas out of ports on either side of it. That gas has enough pressure to split a hand guard when it's installed over the muzzle. It also has enough force to burn/remove fingers like a cylinder in a revolver. The device schmelba posted helps contain the gas
Crazy, wouldn't have guessed that gas had enough pressure to do the kind of damage. I wouldn't have ever given that a try... but good to know. Thanks.
35chililights
AG
Tamukid,

Skip to 2:23 to see what the blast does directly beside the brake, with and without the deflector.

The blast deflector you see in my photos is made by YHM, and connects to the flash hider the same way my suppressor does. Well, the same way my suppressor will. Assuming I ever get it. This wait is killing me.
TamuKid
AG
Very interesting.
230Ag
AG
quote:
I'm thinking about picking up a Troy Tomahawk for a new 300blk build. Has anyone on here run one before? I'm wondering if it's any better than the HK A3 stocks

I looked at one of those at the gun show a while back. the idea looks pretty cool, but when it was on the gun I played with, it was just too wobbly for my taste. it didn't have a solid feel at all like a magpul stock that has the 2ndary lock down button. it wiggled around and moved when you have it on there.
Ulysses90
AG
quote:
The blast deflector you see in my photos is made by YHM, and connects to the flash hider the same way my suppressor does.

BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:

Haven't gotten to play with one but that style intrigues me too.

Another option would be a law folder and a LWRC ultra compact.

txyaloo
AG
quote:
quote:

Haven't gotten to play with one but that style intrigues me too.

Another option would be a law folder and a LWRC ultra compact.

I went ahead and bought one from Primary Arms. Dealer pricing was a decent discount. I'll send it back if it sucks as bad as an A3. If this one doesn't work out, I'll try the MVB version which is a bit more compact. I'm building up a PDW and want something a little lighter/more compact. A standard buffer/tube is ~10oz. My go to STR stock is around 12.5oz. The Tomahawk is supposedly 10oz total.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.