Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

528,056 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by robstrom
dubi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
You and I need to be friends. I'll bring the ammo.
I'll bring ammo, steaks, and Booze.

Dr Boogs, you have been 1 upped!
BenderRodriguez
AG
Those Mk12s are fantastic!

MTxTwelve
Calm down, there's plenty to go around. I'm done with ARs at the moment, though, as my focus is elsewhere.

Currently piecing together another bolt gun (Remington XM2010) and trying to get into the night vision game. It sucks having all these toys and having only half a day to play with them
TwoMarksHand
AG
This is definitely MFBarnes guys. I bet all those pics are traced elsewhere. Rookie posts out of the blue with a bunch of badass guns. Give me a break Barnes.
MTxTwelve
Nah. Go check out my IG account @MTxTwelve. Also GBOF on ar15.com.
TwoMarksHand
AG
quote:
Nah. Go check out my IG account @MTxTwelve. Also GBOF on ar15.com.
I will never believe!

That lousy SOB always has me second guessing badass posts like your nowadays.
Tursiops93
AG
Just picked this up from Texian (Thanks again TheEyeGuy!) and have an ammo question.

What would be the difference between using 55 gr and 62 gr? Was looking at Academy and the 62 gr are a bit more expensive.

The Wonderer
AG
quote:
Just picked this up from Texian (Thanks again TheEyeGuy!) and have an ammo question.

What would be the difference between using 55 gr and 62 gr? Was looking at Academy and the 62 gr are a bit more expensive.

Heavier projectile. The XXgr is the weight of the bullet by itself.

Those more knowledgeable in the bullets can expound on the effects of heavier versus lighter projectiles than I can.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
So l looked into the ATN X-sight 2... I'm impressed. Does anyone have one on here?
txyaloo
AG
quote:
So l looked into the ATN X-sight 2... I'm impressed. Does anyone have one on here?
I have 2 X-Sight 1's. They work ok but are buggy. There's a facebook group for X-Sight owners run by ATN. It'd be worth joining to read others experiences.

The X-Sight 2 isn't feature complete. ATN is still working on it, but most of the core functionality is there. I think it would probably meet your needs for hunting.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Everything you could possibly want to know about ammo, barrel twist, etc: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/503947_AR15_Ammo_Forum_FAQ.html

TamuKid
AG
quote:

This sums it up pretty well. Find out what your barrel's twist rate is. Shooing too heavy or light can lead to over or under stabilization of the bullet, which leads to accuracy issues.

Tursiops93
AG
Hey Eye Guy...Whats my barrel twist????
TwoMarksHand
AG
quote:
Hey Eye Guy...Whats my barrel twist????

If it was a bargain build, I think all those were 1:7
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
quote:
North of Houston. Aug 4th-6th. If you're on Arf you may have heard of it: Cola Warrior.

Combination obstacle course/run/peep eating/coke chugging/pistol and rifle shooting/most likely vomiting.

Combined with some camping out, grilling, socializing with other people dumb/stupid enough to think any of that in August in Houston sounds fun.
that sounds like fun.

Looks like there will be spots for new folks to make some runs, so sign up and show up.

Made a thread for it: http://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2765790
TheEyeGuy
AG
1:7 twist on your rifle
WhiskeyBusiness
AG
How much did that run you (minus optics) Tursiops?

Pasquale Liucci
AG
I have decided to piece together a pistol build a little at a time with the lower that I am waiting on from the group buy. This will be my second AR, but first solo build. I want to do 300 BLK with an 8-9" barrel. I know there are plenty of good options out on the market, but wanted to find something that's a nice compromise between quality and price (aka probably wont be dropping $1200 on a Noveske complete upper. Also had a few questions on buffer and gas systems.

- For an 8-9" barrel 300 BLK, is carbine length gas system sufficient? Should I look into an adjustable gas block if I have ambitions of adding a can at a later date? Also, are shorter gas systems going to cause more wear/tear on the gun over time?

- If I really want to decrease felt recoil on the pistol, can I add an H or heavier buffer or would this affect the cycling reliability?

- Will a Sig Brace or similar fit on any mil spec buffer tube? Didn't know if they were sized for a pistol tube or if they were compatible with full sized tubes as well.

- Lastly, do you have any recs on short barrels/uppers that won't break the bank?

TIA guys.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
I have decided to piece together a pistol build a little at a time with the lower that I am waiting on from the group buy. This will be my second AR, but first solo build. I want to do 300 BLK with an 8-9" barrel. I know there are plenty of good options out on the market, but wanted to find something that's a nice compromise between quality and price (aka probably wont be dropping $1200 on a Noveske complete upper. Also had a few questions on buffer and gas systems.

- For an 8-9" barrel 300 BLK, is carbine length gas system sufficient? Should I look into an adjustable gas block if I have ambitions of adding a can at a later date? Also, are shorter gas systems going to cause more wear/tear on the gun over time?

- If I really want to decrease felt recoil on the pistol, can I add an H or heavier buffer or would this affect the cycling reliability?

- Will a Sig Brace or similar fit on any mil spec buffer tube? Didn't know if they were sized for a pistol tube or if they were compatible with full sized tubes as well.
I have the Sig Brace and the KAK Shockwave Blade and prefer the Blade (plus the ATF has issued a letter stating that shouldering the Sig Brace is now viewed as "illegal").

Shockwave Blade

Use this tube designed for the Blade with dimples to set length of pull

- Lastly, do you have any recs on short barrels/uppers that won't break the bank?
[url=www.radicalfirearms.com]Radical Firearms

Davidson Defense 10" (I have this one and really like it)[/url]

TIA guys.
TheEyeGuy
AG
quote:

$599 Forgot he bought the magpul stock in store.
Tursiops93
AG
quote:
quote:

$599 Forgot he bought the magpul stock in store.
Edited to clarify. The Grab Bag build was $569. At the store I upgraded the stock (~$30), trigger (ALG ACT~$70) and muzzle brake($40). The Black Spider Red Dot was $149.00.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Isn't shouldering a Blade illegal as well? Or is this going back to the gray area where one too many letters to the ATF was written and in one they finally decided that the SB specifically constituted a stock if shouldered?

It seems to me if you intend to shoulder the weapon, regardless of whether you're using the Blade or SB, it shows intent to create an NFA weapon without going through the ATF process. I'm no expert, just trying to make sure I'm clear on how they have currently defined everything
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
Isn't shouldering a Blade illegal as well? Or is this going back to the gray area where one too many letters to the ATF was written and in one they finally decided that the SB specifically constituted a stock if shouldered?

It seems to me if you intend to shoulder the weapon, regardless of whether you're using the Blade or SB, it shows intent to create an NFA weapon without going through the ATF process. I'm no expert, just trying to make sure I'm clear on how they have currently defined everything
To my knowledge, the ATF has not passed a ruling on the shouldering of the Blade, just the Sig Brace.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Anyone use an Anderson low pro adjustable gas block on a build? Can you adjust it without removing a handguard?
TamuKid
AG
quote:
Anyone use an Anderson low pro adjustable gas block on a build? Can you adjust it without removing a handguard?

From some reviews on their site:

"Adjustment on this block is one handed and super easy because of the detent locking system and the adjustment screw faces the muzzle so adjustments can easily be made with the float tube installed."

" Now I need to find a long allen wrench because I run an extended forend."

So, it sounds like yes... Depending on the type of rail you run you may need a longer Allen wrench though.
AMF 2 AMC
AG
Thanks for this thread Bender.

I've still got a lot to learn, but I'd lime to jump in the AR15 pool.

Can someone weigh in on the Next Level Armament offerings at Texian? There's an NLX Elite for $1050 (product no 294600) and another (294601) for $1470. I'd like to know the difference between them and if the value is there.

From a google search I learned that lots of places online offer these items, but not much more in the way of details.

Any help is appreciated.
agfan2013
AG
So I'm not normally a trigger snob, usually just roll with factory triggers (and not just on my ARs, same with deer rifles, pistols, etc) but on a whim I picked up a Larue MBT while browsing their website and remembering a thread we had here on the OB about them. I am extremely impressed with it and would recommend it to anyone looking to upgrade their factory trigger. I've never shot a Geissele which I know is kind of the gold standard for aftermarket AR triggers but Larue's offering was a 1000% upgrade from my stock one and pretty comparable from the reviews I've read.

Also a heads up on those looking to buy one, you can either pay for "I need it now" time frame for $175 or "I've got time and can wait" for $125. I picked the I can wait option and figured it might be up to a month or something if they have a lot of orders but I ordered it Monday it was delivered to my door on Friday of the same week. Now I also ordered a lancer magazine as part of the order too so I dont know if that helped or not, but just a heads up to hopefully save someone 50 bucks.
Scriffer
AG
Are there brands of ammo to seek or avoid in .223 / 5.56? I grabbed a few boxes yesterday without thinking too much about it. Figure I should get it straight early on. Looks like they were averaging $0.50 / round.
TheEyeGuy
AG
quote:
Thanks for this thread Bender.

I've still got a lot to learn, but I'd lime to jump in the AR15 pool.

Can someone weigh in on the Next Level Armament offerings at Texian? There's an NLX Elite for $1050 (product no 294600) and another (294601) for $1470. I'd like to know the difference between them and if the value is there.

From a google search I learned that lots of places online offer these items, but not much more in the way of details.

Any help is appreciated.
Don't do much with them but looking into this now. Will get back to you soon.
TamuKid
AG
quote:
So I'm not normally a trigger snob, usually just roll with factory triggers (and not just on my ARs, same with deer rifles, pistols, etc) but on a whim I picked up a Larue MBT while browsing their website and remembering a thread we had here on the OB about them. I am extremely impressed with it and would recommend it to anyone looking to upgrade their factory trigger. I've never shot a Geissele which I know is kind of the gold standard for aftermarket AR triggers but Larue's offering was a 1000% upgrade from my stock one and pretty comparable from the reviews I've read.

Also a heads up on those looking to buy one, you can either pay for "I need it now" time frame for $175 or "I've got time and can wait" for $125. I picked the I can wait option and figured it might be up to a month or something if they have a lot of orders but I ordered it Monday it was delivered to my door on Friday of the same week. Now I also ordered a lancer magazine as part of the order too so I dont know if that helped or not, but just a heads up to hopefully save someone 50 bucks.

I have two MBT-2S's. I think they're great triggers (I can only compare to the standard mil-spec ones). I also picked the "wait" option, and totally forgot I had placed the order until 4 months later. I emailed and they sent me one within a week. So if you pick this option and don't hear anything for a while, you may want to follow up.

The two I received came with Larue goodies too, Dillo Dust (meat seasoning), a hat, their "beverage entry tool", a paint mixer, some stickers, a couple constitutions.
Naveronski
AG
quote:
Are there brands of ammo to seek or avoid in .223 / 5.56? I grabbed a few boxes yesterday without thinking too much about it. Figure I should get it straight early on. Looks like they were averaging $0.50 / round.

For target shooting/plinking? You'll be fine with whatever Academy is selling.

Dr Gary Roberts has put out a ton of great information on acceptable duty loads for LE/self defense use.
AMF 2 AMC
AG
Thanks Eye Guy.
ETxAg1989
quote:

You are paying too much
Scriffer
AG
Yeah, I figured. I just had some store credit to burn.
killbutchereat
Rookie AR question I think I know the answer to but will defer to the experts...

If I'm trying to build an AR15 on a budget, is there any reason not to pick and choose pieces across vendors with the best prices? Everything should be compatible across vendors, right?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.