Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

527,925 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by robstrom
Mr. Dubi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The shots I've made out to 400 yards were with a .223 Wylde 10.5" using M193 in winds less than 10 MPH. That was on 11x18" steel targets. With winds greater than 10 MPH I really struggled past 300 yards. I have never shot my .300 blk past 25 yards, so I can't be of much real help. I've been told that 110 gr VMAX they are good out to 300 yards though.
mts6175
AG
As others have said, an Adjustable Gas Block can help. You can also change the buffer size to compensate for that. But you shouldn't really have that problem with a 300BLK. 5.56 yes, otherwise it shouldn't be an issue until you start running a suppressor on a 300BLK.

As for barrels, I can't speak for Yankee Hill barrels, I have no experience with anything from them. Like I said earlier, I'd go with the Ballistic Advantage I posted. They guarantee Sub-MOA accuracy. I would also look at AAC Barrels (they invented the round, you would think they know what to do with it), Daniel Defense, and Noveske.
dr_boogs
AG
This is such a classic OB response. Just to confirm (as I'm taking opinions from all, that's what I'm here for, opinions and information), you're suggesting that a 10 inch vs. 8 inch barrel will have zero effect on ballistic performance with this cartridge if I'm interested in shooting out to 200 yards? Or that the difference in barrel length will have an effect, just so negligable that it won't be a factor?

Thanks again everyone.
dr_boogs
AG
thanks MTS
txyaloo
AG
quote:
This is such a classic OB response. Just to confirm (as I'm taking opinions from all, that's what I'm here for, opinions and information), you're suggesting that a 10 inch vs. 8 inch barrel will have zero effect on ballistic performance with this cartridge if I'm interested in shooting out to 200 yards? Or that the difference in barrel length will have an effect, just so negligable that it won't be a factor?

Thanks again everyone.
Negligible effect. I would go with the shorter barrel since you plan on running a suppressor. There are no negatives but you end up with a shorter gun which is the point with an SBR. An 8" barrel fits in some backpacks while a 10" doesn't.
dr_boogs
AG
Thanks txyaloo.
Jason_Ag98
AG
Just took delivery of my first AR today (Colt 6920 OEM2) - thanks to this thread for the inspiration!
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
Just took delivery of my first AR today (Colt 6920 OEM2) - thanks to this thread for the inspiration!

Excellent. Post pics!

Speaking of pics, my favorite AR at the moment: an A4 clone. The modern musket.

BenderRodriguez
AG
I'm going to copy/paste this into a couple of different threads here.

I'm glad people are looking at becoming black rifle owners.

Please keep in mind the reason you're thinking about it now is politicians in Washington who are interested in infringing on your rights.

With that in mind, don't just buy a gun. Buy a membership with the NRA and TSRA. Call all of your congress critters and tell the to oppose any new gun regulations.

Buying is a moot point if you're not willing to make sure our country continues to recognize our rights to own them as private citizens.

By all means buy a gun you think you want, but it can't end there. Welcome to the fight. I look forward to having your help.
captkirk
AG
Any opinions on this Bushnell optic?

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Optics-TRS-25-HiRise-Riflescope/dp/B00ABP8YCA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1466117137&sr=8-5&keywords=primary+arms+micro+red+dot
TheCougarHunter
AG
quote:
Any opinions on this Bushnell optic?

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Optics-TRS-25-HiRise-Riflescope/dp/B00ABP8YCA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1466117137&sr=8-5&keywords=primary+arms+micro+red+dot

I have 2 and they didn't last a month
35chililights
AG
Took Lucille out for a spin today. Gusty wind was a punk, but I managed to squeeze out this group sighting her in during her debut run.

GundayFunday
Jason_Ag98
AG
Sorry for the noob post but I received my Colt 6920 OEM2 recently and am getting the parts in place to finish it out. There is a lot of oil or lubricant on the outside of the barrel from about the gas tube forward. Not just a thin film but almost dripping. Is there any reason for that or should I just clean it off?
CactusThomas
AG
Just clean it off.
BenderRodriguez
AG
What Cactus said.

And don't apologize. Noob questions are what this thread was designed for.
Wife is an Aggie
Thoughts on Ruger AR 556 for $585 shipped? Thinking about buying from sportsmansguide.com. Would be my first AR. looking for best value entry level AR in the $600~ range.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Yeah, that'll do.
Wife is an Aggie
quote:
Yeah, that'll do.

Thanks, I mean I can spend more. But from my limited research this gun seems to have very positive reveiws and the price at $585 seems like a great deal.

Don't see it mentioned a lot here but all in all solid gun?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Questions:

If I were to order a pistol length upper with BCG and charging handle with a 10.5" (5.56) barrel and mate it with a standard lower, it would require an ATF stamp, right?

Now, if I were to do the same but attach to a pistol lower, it would not require a stamp, right?

What about possession of a disassembled pistol upper and complete rifle lower?

I fully intend on having eye guy build me a 300blk, SBR with a suppressor... I am just trying to figure out all the other rules if I start scooping up parts here and there, so I am not breaking the law.

TIA

35chililights
AG
Its a solid firearm. For 500 bucks, you won't feel like you've blown anything.
35chililights
AG
quote:
Questions:

If I were to order a pistol length upper with BCG and charging handle with a 10.5" (5.56) barrel and mate it with a standard lower, it would require an ATF stamp, right?

Yes. Putting a sub-16" barrel on anything other than a registered pistol lower or a registered SBR lower is a felony. In fact, just possessing the sub-16" barreled upper and standard lower without owning a registered pistol lower or registered SBR lower, constitutes intent, and is punishable in the same manner.

quote:
Now, if I were to do the same but attach to a pistol lower, it would not require a stamp, right?

A pistol upper, attached to registered pistol lower is just fine.

quote:
What about possession of a disassembled pistol upper and complete rifle lower?

As before, it is viewed as intent. And is a big no-no.

quote:
I fully intend on having eye guy build me a 300blk, SBR with a suppressor... I am just trying to figure out all the other rules if I start scooping up parts here and there, so I am not breaking the law.

TIA

Get a registered pistol lower to have around. You can use it to sit there while you gather parts. You can use it for turning into an SBR, or use another lower for that. but it is cheap insurance, so to speak.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Awesome!

So basically order a pistol lower to have around as a CYA and to mount until the SBR goes through and all is well.
35chililights
AG
Thats how I played it.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Keep in mind there are a ton of AR manufacturers these days.

I don't own something by all of them, including Ruger so I can't give you any specific praise or condemnation for the gun.

In general, for everyone looking for a "first AR", it is going to be hard to screw up too much on that first purchase, because as you find things you like and dislike about the gun it is so plug and play that it is incredibly easy to change things up.

BenderRodriguez
AG
35chill answered before I saw.

Basically he summed it up.

Only having a sub 16" upper and a rifle lower is certainly very grey area that most are going to discourage, because the ATF can claim constructive intent....meaning even if you never mate the two, you had intent to do so.

However, a pistol lower and a rifle lower can share the safe with 30 different rifle and pistol uppers, and as long as you only put the right uppers on the right lowers, it's going to be really hard for them to argue that you were doing anything wrong.

A lot of people like building the lower they're going to eventually SBR into a pistol anyway, so they know for sure before sending off the tax paperwork that everything on that lower is going to function correctly and they can use the sub 16" upper on the pistol lower while waiting for the stamp to come back.

35chililights
AG
Bender is right. The popularity of the AR15 is its modularity. It is such a standardized tool that parts and upgrades and swaps are plentiful and endless. Since the lower receiver is the only serialized part, everything else can be shipped directly to you on a whim.
Wife is an Aggie
Thanks fellas. Think I am going to order the Ruger!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
So a pistol lower can still have this type of "shoulder" brace, as long as it is fixed?

http://karrisguns.com/kg-ar15-complete-pistol-lower-Blade.aspx
35chililights
AG
quote:
So a pistol lower can still have this type of "shoulder" brace, as long as it is fixed?

http://karrisguns.com/kg-ar15-complete-pistol-lower-Blade.aspx
As with most laws, it is all about intent. This 'brace' is legal, per the ATF, when used as a brace for firing a pistol. It is, illegal, per the ATF, to use this as a shoulder stock.

Can you use the brace as a shoulder stock and get away with it: probably.
Should you snap photos and video while you do it: I wouldn't.
Should you shoulder it at a public place (range): I wouldn't.
Wife is an Aggie
quote:
Thanks fellas. Think I am going to order the Ruger!
So went to order the Ruger this morning and it was sold out! The cheapest I can find it now is $650... Not the end of the world but it got me to start searching around. Most video reviews compare the Ruger to the S&W M&P 15 Sport II so I started searching for that and found it for $560 shipped. Seems like a hell of a deal. Thoughts?
HvilleAggie
AG
Solid rifle for the price point.
Ulysses90
AG
I have the M&P Sport I and it is good rifle albeit with a few corners cut (no ejection port cover or forward assist) to lower the cost. I have found the quality to be very good. The Sport II is a fully featured AR15 and if it possesses the same quality it is a much better deal than the Sport I which cost more five years ago.
Wife is an Aggie
Thanks guys. I ordered this morning. Whittaker guns out of Kentucky has them for $549.99 +12.99 shipping.
jeremy360
Im looking for recommendations on a 300 blackout

• Im open to building or buy complete.
  • I have no interest in running suppressed, I want to run on the supersonic side (probably in the 125-150gr). I will be handloading.
  • I like the 300blk due to FPE, round count, and using 223 based components, so am fixed on caliber.
  • A good trigger is VERY important to me.
  • Accuracy and reliability is important to me. Equally weighed.
  • I value warrantee over parts availability...but either is fine.
  • Wish list: stainless barrel ~16-18".
  • Wish list: medium weight barrel over lightweight contour (heck, even bull bbl would be ok for me).
  • Wish list: no threaded end...guess I could use thread protector
  • Resale value: not important.
  • Not concerned with having iron sights.
  • Simple action preferred (less springs, moving parts, and/or maintenance).
  • Weight: not important, I prefer metal to plastic.
  • Accessories: might put a low fixed power scope on it, my eyes aren't great. maaayyybe a light...but doubt it. maybe a sling for toting. All this not included in budget below.
  • Not in the market for cerakoting or a fancy paint job or any tacti-cool type accessories. Just function.

Budget $1,000 or below (SLIGHTLY flexible). Don't mind a small wait...but not 3 months.

Hopefully, this is ok on information to narrow it down a little bit.

What would y'all recommend?

Thanks in advance for the folks who respond. Its greatly appreciated.

-Jeremy
35chililights
AG
My understanding is that the 300 blackout round was designed to finish its powder burn in about 9", was designed with suppression in mind, and was designed to run in the AR platform with minimal changes (barrel only).

That said, if you are set in the caliber, and are looking for a 16" ( Non-NFA item) barrel, and have no desire to suppress, I'd look very strongly at the Remington Micro 7.

I've always been intrigued by Remington's smaller action Model Sevens.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/12/foghorn/gun-review-remington-aac-model-7-300-blk/

If you even want a single shot break-open simplicity, check out the Handi-Rifle in 300blk.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/05/jeremy-s/gun-review-aac-hr-handi-rifle-300-blk/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.