Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

528,437 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by robstrom
TheEyeGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The one I do is actually better (ballistic advantage barrel) for a bit less. Just fyi. Ours isn't an assembled upper, but I can get that done for like $25.
jpb1999
AG
I am very interested in learning more about your option and the price. To keep thread from getting cluttered, I sent you a PM. Let me know if you didn't get it.
TheEyeGuy
AG
Will be getting back to you on it tomorrow.
BenderRodriguez
AG
No one should feel bad about cluttering up the thread.

It's here to help anyone with questions get into ARs. If you have a question about something, chances are someone else reading wants to know about it too, so ask away! And feel free to show off anything this thread inspires you to buy or build.
Jason_Ag98
AG
quote:

It's here to help anyone with questions get into ARs. If you have a question about something, chances are someone else reading wants to know about it too, so ask away! And feel free to show off anything this thread inspires you to buy or build.
Agreed, that's what this thread is for--post away! I'm learning a lot.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
Agreed, that's what this thread is for--post away! I'm learning a lot.
I bet I've owned an AR longer than anyone else here, and I'm learning a lot.

EDIT: Looked up the serial number online, it was built in late 1974. Original owner was a Texas DPS officer, I bought it from his little brother, a fellow BQ. Was probably in 1975 or 76.
jpb1999
AG
Well I am just not that familiar with what eye does, and I think he is located in Houston which could be a logistics problem for me. Not sure how shipping would work or if he builds a full AR not sure how I would get it. So would love to hear about his options and pricing compared to links above, but would need to work out other details off the thread...
arrow
AG
This thread might make me spend some money. I like the idea of the Colt 6920 oem2 and I basically want a Daniel Defense m4v5 configuration without the vertical grip. I plan to scope the rifle with a 1-4 Nightforce or similar.

Is the mid-length gas system and the Daniel Defense name/quality worth the $4-500 extra I'll pay over the Colt+accessories? This will be my first AR.
maverick2076
IMO? No. I think you reach a point of seriously diminishing returns on upper end ARs, and you are paying a lot of money for a name.
TheEyeGuy
AG
Agree for the most part but depends on what you are looking for. When someone comes in looking for a first AR, I have no desire to try to put them into something like a POF, DD, or LWRC. However, I've done some three gun and match grade builds that went well into $2k. For those guys, it made a huge difference. Just like any hobby/sport, the upper mid level is the best performance for value out there and then after that it, unless you have specific needs, you probably won't see much difference.
TheEyeGuy
AG
quote:
Well I am just not that familiar with what eye does, and I think he is located in Houston which could be a logistics problem for me. Not sure how shipping would work or if he builds a full AR not sure how I would get it. So would love to hear about his options and pricing compared to links above, but would need to work out other details off the thread...
I build full custom AR 15s and, yes, I'm based in Houston. I've sent rifles all over the US, however. Just have to have it shipped to an FFL instead of to you. Pricing on guns varies greatly, depending on what you want, but I'm very competitive in regards to pricing with custom product. Lead times are relatively short in most cases (still working through the class year guns but thankfully those are getting knocked out quickly now). Texian Firearms branded (billet uppers/lowers) builds start at $950 and standard (forged or magnesium) start at $750. With a standard build, most stay under a grand. Most end up around $900 or so but that will vary a little bit. If you want, give me a call at 832-770-9358 and we can talk some options. Ask for Justin.
jpb1999
AG
Thanks, I can call for more details but in general what do you have that is comparative to what I linked above. I think you said you had something better AND cheaper...
jpb1999
AG
I guess I am asking if you have a kit and lower receiver that is cheaper and better or if you are saying you have all of that and can build it all for $25 and ship a fully assembled AR? If either or, what are prices?

I'll be honest, don't have a lot of money to spend on an AR right now so the under $500 option sounds pretty good.
jpb1999
AG
Oh, and do not want optics right now, just decent iron sites.
BreNayPop
AG
If you want to keep it cheap, go with the stripped lower or a blem stripped lower. Then, when you can afford more then add the lower parts kit, upper, and buttstock. The kit is likely the cheapest you can find.
FiTxAg04
AG
20% off all Geissele products today at Primary Arms.
jpb1999
AG
Ok, I thought I wad starting to figure it out, but what is a lower parts kit? Does the build kit already contain these parts? All I need is the stripped lower and build kit, correct?
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:

It's a trap!

Once you have a Geissele trigger in one AR, you'll want them in every AR.
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
Ok, I thought I wad starting to figure it out, but what is a lower parts kit? Does the build kit already contain these parts? All I need is the stripped lower and build kit, correct?

Lower parts kit is all the misc springs, trigger parts, etc needed to turn a stripped lower receiver into a complete functioning lower.

Lower parts kit:

Stripped lower:

Final result of putting the two together:

All you need to add to a rifle kit is a stripped lower, a rear sight if it has the traditional front iron sight (or a red dot or front and rear sights if it does not come with a fixed front sight), a magazine, and ammo and you're ready to go shoot.

jackie childs
quote:

great to hear...

at this point in my life, I probably only get out once every 2-3 months to shoot, so I've been curious how much work/maintenance they are. are they pretty easy to maintain?
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:

at this point in my life, I probably only get out once every 2-3 months to shoot, so I've been curious how much work/maintenance they are. are they pretty easy to maintain?

Very.

Here's a 6 minute video on field stripping and cleaning an AR: Field Strip and Clean an AR-15

He goes further than I usually do. Buffer and spring rarely come out for me, but it is important to clean and lube the bolt/bolt carrier.

For a guy who's shooting it a couple of times a year, if you clean and lube it like you would any other firearm after shooting, it'll be ready to go if you grabbed it 6 months or a year later and should last you for decades without any major maintenance/parts replacement.

I know there's a member here with an SP1 (old school Colt) that's still a decent shooter and reliable, and he's had it longer than I've been alive.

CharlieBrown17
AG
quote:
quote:

It's a trap!

This
FiTxAg04
AG
quote:
It's a trap!

Truth!

G2S is only $130 right now. Amazing trigger for that price. I think I like my G2S more than my Larue MBT-2S. If you're in the market for one, they won't get much cheaper than they are right now.
jpb1999
AG
Ah thanks. So basically the lower parts kit is part of the rifle kit...

So with the geauxarmory rifle kit, will I need both front and rear sights? If so, what us good option. Just decent sights.

I am also sticking with trigger it comes with... I don't know what a good or bad trigger is. Would rather shoot a bad trigger for a while so when I upgrade I know the difference.

What about some mags to go with this rifle? Would like to have at a couple...
BenderRodriguez
AG
Yes, with that kit you will need front and rear. On the cheaper side would be magpul flip ups: link

My preferred iron sights are the Daniel Defense fixed if I'm going to be shooting just irons: link 2

As for magazines, Magpul Pmags are good, and can be found for ~$10 online. PSA just ran a deal on D&H Metal magazines for ~$7 that I missed out on.

Pmag or metal are both good. For me, it's down to whichever is cheaper when I'm ordering. Others may prefer the looks of one over the other, but I've never seen much of a difference performance wise between the two.

BreNayPop
AG
http://palmettostatearmory.com/ptac-16-1-7-m4-rifle-kit.html?trk_msg=3MJTP9PM5BI4V8P5L8P9OLGP74&trk_contact=5LB4HRHOT5M31DGBEBGU78UFM0&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=http%3a%2f%2fpalmettostatearmory.com%2fptac-16-1-7-m4-rifle-kit.html&utm_campaign=Daily+Deals+Email&utm_content=12%3a00+Deals

389 for all the gun save for stripped lower and buis or carry handle.

Stripped lower for 50 bucks (needs to go thru an ffl)
http://www.primaryarms.com/anderson-manufacturing-closed-trigger-stripped-lower-7075-t6-multi-cal/p/kt-ar-15-a3-lwfor-um-closed/

50 bucks for carry handle
http://palmettostatearmory.com/palmetto-state-armory-mil-spec-carry-handle.html

Or 60 dollars for rear back up iron sights (buis)
https://www.magpul.com/products/mbus-sights

Thats a complete gun for 389 +50 (stripped lower) + 50 (carry handle)... $489 total. Just need to find an ffl to accept the lower for 10 bucks and you are in at 499 for a complete AR.

maverick2076
quote:
Oh, and do not want optics right now, just decent iron sites.

You can get a Primary Arms micro red dot for cheaper than you can a set of good irons.
jpb1999
AG
Link please...?
BenderRodriguez
AG
Primary Arms has $9 PMAGs in stock!

In state tax and shipping took my order to $105, but that's a pretty good price for them.

jpb1999
AG
So it seems that all the links for rifle kits on the last 2 pages have been for M4 style rifle kits. Can someone link a comparable non M4 style AR kit?

On the geauxarmory kit linked on page 3, does that one need a carry handle?

Do the mags linked above work on all kinds of M4 and "normal" AR rifles?

I have a Mossberg .22 AR rifle with iron sights, can those work on any AR style rifle?
jpb1999
AG
Something like this?

Primary Arms micro red dot:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NC1G0KI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1/189-6348559-7057739?qid=1458995398&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=primary+arms+micro+red+dot&dpPl=1&dpID=41DUvd3cmeL&ref=plSrch

maverick2076
That is the one. You will want to get a riser to mount it on to raise it to a comfortable height, but you should be able to find one of these for $20 or so. ARs don't need a carry handle unless you want to use the rear sight that is a part of them.
jpb1999
AG
Would love to still get answers on my other questions; non M4 AR rifle kit link, mags question, and iron site question...

Thanks!
maverick2076
Not sure what you mean by "non M4 type" rifles. You need to be more specific.

AR mags are AR mags. They are all interchangeable.

I must have missed your iron sight question, unless it was about the carry handle, which I answered above.
jpb1999
AG
On the M4 question, I was just going off of what Bender mentioned in another post:

quote:
That specific kit would be a decent quality gun, though I'm not a huge fan of the M4 set up for a couple of reasons, the biggest being the front sight.

You then linked me to the geauxarmory option with the longer handguard, which I really like and have ordered. But now I have talked my brother into building one at the same time and was looking for a non-M4 set up. I reread pages 1 and 2 of this thread and think I have found a couple of options:

PSA options:
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-midlength-5-56-nato-1-7-stainless-steel-moe-freedom-rifle-kit.html

Texian's option:
http://texianfirearms.com/catalog_detail.php?product_id=224186

My only question about these 2 is if they are chambered in both 223/5.56? I think I only read them mentioning 5.56, but would like one that is chambered in both. And forgive me for some ignorance here... as I do not know much about either round, so if this is actually the same round and if it shoots one, it will shoot the other, please just let me know.

Thanks for answering the mag question.

The iron sight question: I have a Mossberg .22 AR rifle (won it in raffle contest) with iron sights, I have removed them to put on a cheap red dot style scope. Can I use these iron sights on the geauxarmory rifle kit linked above? I assume yes, as all ARs use the same picatinny rail system, correct? I know they may not be the best quality...

TIA

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.