*******Official Cowboys Offseason 2023*******

122,229 Views | 1943 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Vince Blake
Danny Vermin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think you are a little sensitive. I'm just telling you that he is a very good player with major upside now that Quinn has him. Health wise, he gets hurt because he plays so hard just like Wilson did his first couple of years. He absolutely is the replacement for LVE and you can hold me to it.
gigem1223
First UDFA is a fullback from North Dakota State. McCarthy got his John Kuhn
Zachary Klement
AG
DTP02 said:

Zachary Klement said:

investorAg83 said:

Deuce = Rex Burkhead 2.0. Like it.
Burkhead is 5 inches taller than Vaughn. Terrible pick.

At some point your lack of height starts to work for you. I'm not sure it isn't better to be a 5'5" RB than a 5'8" RB. You're still really small at 5'8", but at 5'5" it's easier to hide or slip under tackles.
Maybe. My main thought is there really is not a track record of success for running backs that short....Jacquizz Rogers, Tarik Cohen, and of course, Darren Sproles are the only 5'6 guys I can recall having success...I am not seeing any that were 5'5. Maybe it is more of a product of guys that size not making it to the NFL that often than it is them not being able to succeed.
Danny Vermin
What I am worried about is who the hell is going to kick for us? Anyone have a clue about that? Haven't heard anything except they wanted Jake Moody but that ain't happening because of the Niners.
Grapesoda2525
Danny Vermin said:

What I am worried about is who the hell is going to kick for us? Anyone have a clue about that? Haven't heard anything except they wanted Jake Moody but that ain't happening because of the Niners.
There should be undrafted college kickers available. Just need the special teams guy to do his job and find a decent one.
Danny Vermin
They tried that last year with the Tech kicker. Maybe someone from the XFL will be brought in.
PatAg
AG
This board is just like the so called "espn insiders"
NONE of us watch enough college football to truly know anything about these players, we go off "measurements" with no context adn performances at a combine that very often do not have any real reflection on how good someone is ON the field.
So we cling to stats thats arent good enough to really tell the story on a given player. There is no real substitute to watching the players, and the NFL teams are the ones that pay people to do it for a living.
and lately, they have drafted very well.
Tksymm7
AG
Surprising we went so heavy on defense, but I'm okay with it
Grapesoda2525
Tksymm7 said:

Surprising we went so heavy on defense, but I'm okay with it
Quinn is the real man who makes this thing go. McCarthy has done a good job all things considered, but the heart and soul of this team is the defense which of course is run by Quinn. Quinn could easily go elsewhere if he wanted, so they might have promised him an elite defense in order to get him to stay.

We all get why they picked Mazi and the defensive end, but I think they picked Overshown because he's a very good player and he gives us some insurance in case something happens to Vander Esch whose injury history is shaky.

I trust will mcclay and I think the coaches will make the offensive players into decent to good contributors as well. Not every pick is likely to hit, but I bet they hit on most.
Macarthur
gigem1223 said:

First UDFA is a fullback from North Dakota State. McCarthy got his John Kuhn

LOVE this kid! Was hoping they would take him in the 7th.
Macarthur
Was hoping they could sign the OT from Baylor Galvin. He went to Detroit.
Tksymm7
AG
I like the Overshown pick as well, partly because he's a unique athlete that can do a lot of thing, but also because if you look at our current LB room, each of those guys has had a really serious career injury and he provides insurance.
Casual Cynic
I think the priority was fixing the run defense this draft.
Grapesoda2525
Are we satisfied with the RB and offensive line picks?

I don't know much about either.
Grapesoda2525
2023 Dallas Cowboys Undrafted Free Agents (Last updated: 9:54 PM ET, 4/29)
  • FB Hunter Kuepke - North Dakota State (per Tom Pelissero)
  • OLB Tyrus Wheat - Mississippi State (per Tom Pleissero)
  • DE Isaiah Land - Florida A&M (per Aaron Wilson)
  • WR David Durden - West Florida (per Michael Gehlken)
  • OT Earl Bostick Jr. - Kansas (per Tom Pelissero)
  • TE Princeton Fant - Tennessee (per Michael Gehlken)
  • WR Jalen Moreno-Cropper - Fresno State (per Sidelines - Fresno State)
  • WR Jose Barbon - Temple (per Aaron Wilson)
  • G T.J. Bass - Oregon (per PFF College)
  • OLB Durrell Johnson - Liberty (per Tom Pleissero)
Macarthur
The Bass kid from Oregon might be a player.
Woods Ag
AG
I don't know ****, but I like acting like I do and regurgitating someone elses bull****
Ag12thman
AG
Seems to be lots of smoke on Twitter about Elliott being back with the Dallas. Jones apparently said he's considering bringing him back.
Macarthur
Ag12thman said:

Seems to be lots of smoke on Twitter about Elliott being back with the Dallas. Jones apparently said he's considering bringing him back.

jr15aggie
AG
Ag12thman said:

So he can be the 5th best RB on the roster?

Loved watching Zeke play 6 years ago, but he's done.
Grapesoda2525
Ag12thman said:

That move would be so terrible. Please no.
Southlake
Not sure Overshown can translate to the pro game. In college you can have LB/Safety hybrids. Not so much in the Pros. He did make plays at Texas but pretty much was undisciplined and whiffed on tackles.

Who knows? Maybe he can be coached up and be a good reserve lb?

William Thomas played lb at A&M at 205 and in the pros at 215, but those days are over.
Macarthur
I agree with you that he has some warts, but I gotta disagree on your comments about the game today. Big Nickel packages are very much the rage now. You need guys with some size and coverage ability today. Overshown can cover RBs and TEs. He will bring value there.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiT4fWQ39H-AhW6lmoFHd2qCyUQFnoECE0QAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nfl.com%2Fnews%2Fbig-nickel-package-emerging-as-nfl-s-hottest-defensive-trend-0ap3000000375711&usg=AOvVaw0b4uV8ELNP2SWJYxfgM3FK
zgolfz85
AG
We play multiple hybrid on our defense already. I don't know what you're talking about.
Macarthur
There are 3 guys on the FA list I think are really interesting:

Bass, OG - Oregon - I think he got a chance to stick

Luepke, FB - NDS - Love this guy. He's been my pet cat for some time. He has a Kyle Juszczyk type of game. Put one of the guards at FB and him at TB and there's your short yardage package. He'll be a special teams core member. He's also fantastic catching the ball out of the backfield. This guy will have a 10 year career in the league.

Durden, WR - West Florida - Really interesting guy. Played some minor league baseball so he's 25. Made Dane Brugler's freak list. Over 6' and runs a 4.4. Dominated at the D2 level. He's real interesting.
TyHolden
AG
We didn't even bring in a UDFA qb??? We gonna wait until Dak is using a walker?
Tksymm7
AG
Idk how many of you heard or saw, but in one of the Cowboys post draft press conferences they said they only had 11 guys with first round grades. That's one of the smallest number of guys I think I've ever seen or heard being true first round talents and a stinging endorsement of how poor this draft really was.
Macarthur
Wow. I had not heard that.
Ag Natural
AG
As expected, most post draft analysis is meh on the Cowboys. Just like last year. I personally think several of these guys are immediate contributors on a team that's already really good.

The dumbest eval I keep seeing is on Mazi Smith. He had like half a sack in his career at Michigan. Yeah that's bad... but he isn't going to asked to get sacks here. He's going to be asked to use his 330lbs to clog the middle on early downs. We literally have not had a guy that could do that since forever.
jr15aggie
AG
With regards to Mazi... why do they think Micah was so pumped. Because Mazi chews up blockers and Micah feasts!

Our edge rushers are as talented and deep as any team... a guy like Mazi could make a huge difference in our pressure and sack numbers.
Ag Natural
AG
jr15aggie said:

With regards to Mazi... why do they think Micah was so pumped. Because Mazi chews up blockers and Micah feasts!

Our edge rushers are as talented and deep as any team... a guy like Mazi could make a huge difference in our pressure and sack numbers.

Common sense would tell you that. It is unusual to draft a guy so early who isn't going to be a pass rush threat. But in our case we've tried that and it's not worked. Let's get the big guy and make the unit more complete. Mazi physical traits are elite. I love this pick regardless of the round.
Macarthur
Yeah, the other angle is that if he helps slow down teams on first down, Dallas' pass rush is much better on 3rd and 7 instead of 3rd and 4.
EllisCoAg
AG
Per DMN, to analyze the draft, will need to review the draft picks traded for FA, which makes this offseason even better.
Woods Ag
AG
I'm ok with the first few picks. Don't love 2-7 but 2,3 were ok.
PooDoo
AG
A real Ed McCaffrey type

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.