*******Official Cowboys Offseason 2023*******

122,331 Views | 1943 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Vince Blake
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He's also been an "expect him to miss a few games" guy for 7-8 years. Problem is that he's morphing into "expect him to play a few games" guy. The best ability is availability. $14 mill is a lot of cheese to pay for a guy whose availability has become extremely tenuous, to the point where you don't need just a swing as a 3rd OT, you need a legit starter.
Tksymm7
AG
I fall in line with the two thoughts above. Tyron Smith hasn't been an elite tackle in some time. Primarily because of injuries; whether because he's missed tons of time or the injuries took a physical toll on his body. 14 million in cap space is nothing to scoff at either. That money could allow us to sign our own impact players or go out and trade for/sign someone in free agency. We won 12 games largely without Tyron smith, so unless he's willing to cut his number in half, I would let him go or allow him to retire.
chris1515
AG
It always amazes me how young Tyron was when he was drafted. I'd love to see him stick around for a much much lower dollar amount. If I were running the team I'd give him the option as to what he wanted to do.
I think there's a good chance he retires.

As for Zeke, I wouldn't be surprised if he lands with the Chargers. They need a power run game to grind out the clock. Zeke still has "some" value for that. Maybe Kellen Moore wants some familiar faces on the roster.
Kellso
[We do not allow that kind of name calling and disrespectful posting on this thread. -Staff]
Goldie Wilson
Didn't realize Collins was so solid for us last season. Hopefully this off-season we can draft a young tackle out of a mid major program who can learn under Tyron and fill in where necessary.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Damn Mrs. Smith, calm down. Everyone here still likes your son, some just think he's become a little too unreliable is all.
Kellso
Tksymm7
AG
[Same message. -Staff]
DannyDuberstein
AG
Jesus H, someone needs to switch to decaf
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'll say this - Tyron was solid in 17 of their last 50 games. The other 33 he was objectively the worst tackle on the team. Or at least tied for it.
Kellso
Hubert J. Farnsworth
You mentioned Tyler Smith being at guard. I get what you are thinking but I'd just hate to see him moved from LT. He was so good there. There is definitely options here if Tyron is healthy. Of course it also depends on whether they re-sign McGovern and Steele or if they draft a ready to play guard. Steele gives you flexibility at tackle.

LT- Tyron Smith(if completely healthy)
LG- Tyler Smith
C- Biadasz
RG- Martin
RT- Steele

or

LT- Tyler Smith
LG- McGovern(if re-signed) or ready to go draft pick
C- Biadasz
RG- Martin
RT- Tyron Smith

I don't know which of these lineups is better, but I do lean towards wanting Tyler Smith at LT.
PatAg
AG
Kellso said:

jr15aggie said:

To say he's only 32 is a bit misleading... he was 20 years old when they drafted him. His NFL mileage puts him closer to his mid 30's.

We no longer have the luxury of a QB on a rookie deal... but one of the next best things is not having to pay your LT top vet money. We got very lucky that Tyler Smith was plug and play at LT. We got him for 4 more years on the cheap.

Let Tyron go, let Tyler stay at LT... hopefully he will only get better... and then go sign/draft a decent brawler type LG and let's roll! If we can pull that off, we will have one of the better O-lines in the NFL and, at a guess, the overall cost for that line will be below league average.

There is nothing misleading about what I said.
Tyron Smith is only 32 years old.

Jason Peters is still playing in his late 30's. There are lot of elite HOF level tackles that played well into their mid to late 30's.
Jackie Slater played until he was 41 years old.

One of the problems with the 2022 Dallas Cowboys is that their pass protection took a big hit with the loss of Tyron Smith.
That split second that Dak doesn't have anymore is what led to a lot of those bad throws and interceptions.

The idea that the Cowboys are going to get rid of an elite left tackle to save a few bucks is short sighted.
At this point you just have to factor in that Tyron will probably miss a few games each season.....but he's way too good to let go for nothing.
It's very misleading because the age isnt as important as amount of time playing in the NFL, as well as the injuries players have sustained.
I love Tyron at LT, but you can't commit big money to him being able to be the man for us there anymore.
Tksymm7
AG
Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

You mentioned Tyler Smith being at guard. I get what you are thinking but I'd just hate to see him moved from LT. He was so good there. There is definitely options here if Tyron is healthy. Of course it also depends on whether they resign McGovern and Steele or if they draft a ready to play guard. Steele gives you flexibility at tackle.

LT- Tyron Smith(if completely healthy)
LG- Tyler Smith
C- Biadasz
RG- Martin
RT- Steele

or

LT- Tyler Smith
LG- McGovern(if resigned) or ready to go draft pick
C- Biadasz
RG- Martin
RT- Tyron Smith

I don't know which of these lineups is better, but I do lean towards wanting Tyler Smith at LT.
I would want the second line you have listed. Not only because I think playing RT would take the stress off of Tyron Smith having to be all world on every snap (and maybe keeping him healthier), but also because the Cowboys spent a first round pick on Tyler Smith to be their future left tackle. Even if you fall in line with the thinking that most of the back end of the first round picks really aren't first round picks (i fall here as well), it is still significant draft capital, and he played there almost his ENTIRE rookie season pretty darn well. Don't stunt his growth at tackle, for anything.
gigem1223
[Same message. -Staff]
gigem1223
Macarthur
Seeing on twitter that there are rumors the Cowboys will put the franchise tag on Pollard. I'm good with that assuming they let Zeke go...can't have that much $ tied up in those two players.

That would mean they def have to draft another RB somewhere.
Macarthur
Tksymm7
AG
Who were the other WR's available in the second?
Macarthur
Hyatt was one. I'm a bit Leary of him.

I think that was the only one the service had above Rice and I'm a big fan of Rice.
TyHolden
AG
Sewell will be an OT in 2-3 years
Macarthur
Yeah, he's going to have to watch his weight. Will be very curious to see what his 40 times is.
Tksymm7
AG
I got a solid chuckle out of this.
jr15aggie
AG

Hell yes I doubled up on RB! Achane in the 4th, no brainer! Chances are we tag Pollard and this is his last year in Dallas. A 3 back system with one "every down" type back and 2 other guys that can be used as weapons anywhere. All that on top of Njigba... let's freaking go!!!
Tksymm7
AG
Not sure I'm on board with taking two RB's in back to back rounds, BUT, I do agree that if we franchise tag Pollard they will let him walk next year. RB's are so replaceable, it seems like the right choice.
jr15aggie
AG
I agree, but the board falls the way the board falls. Via free agency and via the draft we need offensive weapons and my mock certainly gave us that.

I'd love my mock draft above much more if we acquired a really good vet WR pre-draft and replaced Njigba for a starting caliber CB or OT / OG. I really don't want to go into this draft being forced to take a WR high.
Macarthur
I really think 26 is going to be a good spot. I think either a really good player is going to fall that shouldn't or there might be a team want to get one of those borderline 1st round QBs like McKee
Macarthur
Whoa...did a little trade down and really like how this turned out....

Macarthur
BTW, Sturm is a big fan of Musgrave. Dude is big and fast and makes a lot of plays down the seam. He's like the anti Shultz.
Tksymm7
AG
I think Charlie Jones in the 5th is a freaking steal, and a guy I would be over the moon about if the cowboys got. The dude can absolutely ball and he's an ELITE route runner. I personally really like Jalin Hyatt, but Cedric Tillman is a great pick as well.

I doubt any of the four real first round potential WRs falls to us at 26, but I would be okay taking a guy there if they did fall. That being said, I would rather have Johnson or Flowers. JSN is basically a clone of Ceedee, and if I was taking a WR in the first I would want that guy to bring something different to the table than I already have. I think we could really use either a take the top off burner or big bodied guy who can go up and get it (Johnson is both of those imo).
Macarthur
Some interesting draft gossip....

https://www.reddit.com/r/NFL_Draft/comments/10x4uc0/2023_mock_draft_based_on_latest_intel_post_senior/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
Tksymm7
AG
Sounds like people hate this draft jeez…
Macarthur
Yeah, def a vibe that certain position groups are pretty weak.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Tennessee already giving up on the QB they drafted last year? He did look pretty bad in limited action.
Tksymm7
AG
Willis was pretty terrible at times this year. He just can't throw the ball well. They also didn't invest a ton of draft capital to get him, so it's not as big a deal to move on from him quickly.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.