*******Official Cowboys Offseason 2023*******

122,106 Views | 1943 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Vince Blake
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here's a name... Darius Rush, CB from South Carolina. He's 6'2" and apparently he's on of those guys that was the best athlete at his HS so he was a QB. Recruited as a WR and later converted to a CB.

So he hasn't played that much CB, but is still considered a top 100 guy and a player whose best football may still be in front of him. 2nd round pick a real possibility after playing really really well at the senior bowl.

Dan Quinn: "You had me at 6'2" CB!"
jr15aggie
AG
This is NOT going to happen but just humor me.

What if McCarthy got crazy and went rogue with his offense. We don't have any luck with WRs in free agency and the draft doesn't give us any in round 1, so instead we draft Bijan in the 1st, Achane in the 2nd/3rd, and another RB in the 5th.

We throw out the idea of needing WRs and we just put guys on the field with speed that terrify you with the ball in their hands. CD out wide with the option to motion anywhere... Achane in the backfield... Bijan also in the backfield/in the slot/anywhere (Mr. do it all like Deebo)... we wrap all that up with either Gallupl/TE or use a 2 TE set.

I'd kinda like to see that. Most of our plays are misdirection or quick hitters to guys that can absolutely ball out. And when the defense presses in, CD & Gallup are more than capable of going over the top.

Anyway, not going to happen and probably wouldn't work... but fun to think about!

jr15aggie
AG
And in case you were wondering, PFF thinks my idea is terrible too!!!

Macarthur
Thought this was some interesting analysis on Schottenheimer

I think the Cowboys offense is going to be fine if we can add some weapons….I know that sounds kinda silly to say out loud, but I mean it in reference to SChottenheimer.

TyHolden
AG
Commandos hired Eric Bienemy as OC….he better got paid to leave KC for that.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Was there a final official diagnosis on Pollards injury?

Man I'd love Achane in the 2nd. I think he'll be great in the NFL
PooDoo
AG
Ivan Pace has been my go to 5th round pick at PFF… he really jumps off film. Doubt he'll be there after the combine.
jr15aggie
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Was there a final official diagnosis on Pollards injury?

Man I'd love Achane in the 2nd. I think he'll be great in the NFL

He had a fracture somewhere in the ankle but it was left to heal on its own. But his "high ankle sprain" was nasty enough to require surgical repair.

And yeah, I too would love Achane on this team. If Pollard is still here then great. If not, and I've said it before, I think you'll need to draft another RB. Achane is not an every down player (too small) and this is a deep RB class.
jr15aggie
AG
Speaking of RB... somebody we haven't really talked about is Gibbs from Bama. Man, that guy can move! Looks like an Alvin Kamara starter kit.

Definitely questionable if he makes it to our 2nd round pick... might be worth a look at 26 depending on how the board falls to us. Might also be a good choice if we find ourselves in a trade down situation.

Macarthur
Bijan is the only RB I've seen that is 1st round caliber. And there seems to be a ton of quality in this RB class so I would be surprised if one is taken after Bijan until maybe the late 2nd or 3rd. Gibbs is kinda similar to Achane in that he's not an everydown NFL RB so anything before the 2nd is early for that type, IMO.
Tksymm7
AG
I don't want this to come across as attacking you or anything like that, but Jamyr Gibbs is listed at 5'11" 200. Still not "big" guy, buts he's definitely built much more like a modern NFL back than Achane. I say this just to highlight how unique, extraordinary and an outlier Achane is. I agree though that Bijan will be the only guy taken in the first. The second and third are going to be absolutely loaded with high level backs.
Macarthur
He's def bigger than Achane.
PooDoo
AG
Pollard is our small back at 6ft 212lbs
All I do is Nguyen
TyHolden
AG
Achane's nfl playing weight will be more than 190. This will be his first off-season not running track. Should be able to put on weight and maintain speed. If he runs a 4.2 at 200+, that's gonna turn heads.
jr15aggie
AG
TyHolden said:

Achane's nfl playing weight will be more than 190. This will be his first off-season not running track. Should be able to put on weight and maintain speed. If he runs a 4.2 at 200+, that's gonna turn heads.

That's actually a great point. I have my doubts that he'll be 200+, but I hadn't thought of track being part if his featherweight status.
TyHolden
AG
yeah, he doesn't have to be 200+. CMC, Tyreke Hill, Chris Johnson...not sure any of those ever hit 200 lbs. Just not sure if I'd be more worried if the Eagles drafted Robinson over Chane. We'll find out a lot once draft workouts begin.
jr15aggie
AG
Will definitely be interesting. I have no doubt that my TU bias is in play here, but I just can't see how Bijan is this generational player. IMO, Zeke and Barkley were HOF talents in college. I just don't see that in Bijan. He's very good, I just don't have him on the same level.

But a lot of guys I listen to year round seem to think he's the best RB prospect in 20+ years. Then again, those same guys had me hating the Tyler Smith pick.

At the end of the day, and here's my bias again, I think on draft weekend I'd be much happier with a stud WR or OG/OT (or CB) in the 1st and Achane in the 2nd. Knowing how average, at best, the Aggie oline and playcalling was, I just can't help but think that Achane might be a Tyreek Hill type impact player.
jr15aggie
AG
Bringing up Jahmyr Gibbs again... man I like this guy the more I study him. A guy that can turn a routine play into a 15-20 yarder in a hurry. Would love to get this guy. He's probably my current pet cat of the draft.

Biggest problem is that some people would throw a fit if we took him in the 1st round... but I don't see him sliding all the way to our pick in the 2nd. The draft would have to work out in a certain way for him to be one of our picks. But I wouldn't hesitate to take him if we are wiped out at WR/CB/O-line in the 1st round. I would, without hesitation, take a guaranteed playmaker at RB instead of reaching for a 2nd round WR at 26!
Tksymm7
AG
I also have been thinking about Gibbs and RBs in general. Obviously Bijan is the top choice and one of the most talented backs we've seen in a while because of his extremely well-rounded game (the only question about Bijan is his straight line speed). Gibbs is who I would take second, although Charbonnet is a stud in his own right. The one area that really hurts Achane compared to Bijan and Gibbs is his lack of on-tape pass catching and some drops. Bijan and Gibbs are two absolutely legit, line them up as WR type of pass catchers and I don't think Achane has shown that ability even though he might be able to do it.
jr15aggie
AG
Yep! Gibbs and Bijan are both excellent in the backfield and in space catching passes. They are 2 legit weapons that will immediately improve the offense that drafts them.

Two thoughts about the draft that I'm keying on... it's not a a great/deep draft for Guards and it's also not as strong as last year for WRs. At 26, I'm just not sure we can count on and getting immediate help in these spots. I would really like to see this team take care of upgrading LG and WR via free agency (upgrade, not just sign some cheap vet).

Once that's done I think that really opens us up to the possibility of going RB in round 1. I don't care if there are good backs all over this draft... none of them compare to Gibbs and Bijan. And if Pollard is gone... these guys immediately become a priority for me and I also want another stud in the 5th.
Macarthur
The Avila kid from TCU is outstanding and would prob be there at 26.
jr15aggie
AG
Macarthur said:

The Avila kid from TCU is outstanding and would prob be there at 26.

Correct. There a couple OGs that are probably OK at 26, I'm just not keen on that this year. And after those guys, the drop off is pretty steep so round 2 or 3 isn't going to help you much for a plug and play starter.
Vince Blake
CJ Stroud intrigue by Cowboys as reported by Fisher for what it's worth.

But playing along because its the offseason. The talking head in the video suggests Dallas would have to trade Dak (and likely current and future picks) for the #2 pick from Houston.

So if your Dallas you have the cap space to build around a cheap talented rookie. If your Houston, who's probably still 2 or 3 seasons from competing, you get a bridge QB and the draft capital to trade up next year and get the even better QB in Caleb Williams.

Again, offseason fodder. At least the combine is next week and we will have some real news to talk about.
jr15aggie
AG
I'm 95% sure that the Cowboys could not trade Dak in any scenario... the immediate dead money hit to their cap would cripple them.

It's a fun off-season thought, but not a single bit of reality otherwise.
Tksymm7
AG
In a trade scenario, his dead cap hit would still be high, but not 85+ million dollars. It would all depend on if he was a pre or post June 1 trade.

Pre June 1, 2023 Dead Cap: $58,070,000; 2023 Cap Savings: $-8,940,000 (not possible imo without some voodoo magic)

Post June 1, 2023 Dead Cap: $18,130,000; 2024 Dead Cap: $39,940,000; 2023 Cap Savings: $31,000,000

Post June 1 scenario is workable from a numbers perspective, but I have absolutely no clue how a trade like that would work with the draft being pre June 1. I personally really like CJ Stroud and believe he's the best QB prospect in this draft. He checks all of the physical tools boxes, has done it at a high level against good competition, has good character from those who know, and has as high a ceiling as Levis. He's who I would take out of this QB class.

I am not a big Nick Wright guy, but if you watch the video, he does bring up a good point, which is that the Cowboys somewhat need to make up their mind this offseason for what they want to do with Dak. He's got two years left on his contract and this is traditionally the time you would want to resign a guy. So do they sign him long term, do they let his contract play out, do they thing about trading him, etc. This is the time to start formulating your plan.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yes, his real dead money in a trade scenario right now is what is still left of the signing bonus. The guaranteed salary in the future ($31 mill in 2023) would get picked up by the trading partner. You see that listed as "dead money" in some places because it's guaranteed, but it's not your dead money if you trade him
Macarthur
Tksymm7 said:

In a trade scenario, his dead cap hit would still be high, but not 85+ million dollars. It would all depend on if he was a pre or post June 1 trade.

Pre June 1, 2023 Dead Cap: $58,070,000; 2023 Cap Savings: $-8,940,000 (not possible imo without some voodoo magic)

Post June 1, 2023 Dead Cap: $18,130,000; 2024 Dead Cap: $39,940,000; 2023 Cap Savings: $31,000,000

Post June 1 scenario is workable from a numbers perspective, but I have absolutely no clue how a trade like that would work with the draft being pre June 1. I personally really like CJ Stroud and believe he's the best QB prospect in this draft. He checks all of the physical tools boxes, has done it at a high level against good competition, has good character from those who know, and has as high a ceiling as Levis. He's who I would take out of this QB class.

I am not a big Nick Wright guy, but if you watch the video, he does bring up a good point, which is that the Cowboys somewhat need to make up their mind this offseason for what they want to do with Dak. He's got two years left on his contract and this is traditionally the time you would want to resign a guy. So do they sign him long term, do they let his contract play out, do they thing about trading him, etc. This is the time to start formulating your plan.

You know, I was reading some things about him and I think his father died when he was young and was raised by his mother and was very poor. I may be getting the details wrong but the point was that he is very diff than many of these guys in that he never had a personal coach and didn't go to all the camps and stuff. The point was that he is still really a pup when it comes to learning the finer points of the position and many think because of that, he has the most upside.
Tksymm7
AG
I agree! I think he is raw in a lot of good ways, whereas Levis is raw in bad ways like bad habits and such. And I like Bryce Young too; the character, makeup, competitiveness, etc. I just can't quantify spending a top 5 pick on a guy that small and who lacks a lot of the pure physical tools. I can with Stroud.
jr15aggie
AG
Great posts TK, I forgot that the other team would assume the guarantees and reduce the cap hit in a trade. But it would still be a big cap hit for the next 2 years.

I guess my thoughts on all of this... the point of having a rookie QB is to hopefully score an NFL ready talent for cheap while using the cap savings to build up the team around him. In this scenario we'd still be "paying" Dak for 2 years and so that benefit is lost for the immediate future.

I still say no way. This team is indeed paying Dak top QB money... but as of right now, we have the benefit of NOT paying top money to an All Pro Edge Rusher / Top 5 defensive player in the league... we are NOT paying top money to an All Pro CB, and we are NOT paying top money to a Pro Bowl WR.

We have a very small window to strike before we start either losing our best players or paying them big bucks. I just don't see us doing anything with a proven guy like Dak now that McCarthy & Schottenheimer are taking over for Kellen. I think this team will restructure contracts and free up as much cap space as they can to make a real run next year.
Macarthur
All good points, and let's not forget, after a couple of new QB contracts happen this offseason, it's very likely that Dak falls out of the top 10 paid QBs. I mean it's looking like Daniel Jones might get $50m per season.
jr15aggie
AG
I know, it's crazy. I'm really interested to see what Baltimore does. Lamar wants to get paid like nobody has ever gotten paid before. And can you blame any of these guys after what the dumb ass Browns gave up for Mr. Happy Ending?!?
Macarthur
Kincade and Mazi are two guys I'm really intrigued with...

98Ag99Grad
AG
you guys think we need a TE that early? I really like Ferguson and Hindershot for that matter.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Definitely not a need. Only if a stud falls in your lap

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.