*******Official Cowboys Offseason 2023*******

122,117 Views | 1943 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Vince Blake
Tksymm7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Vaughn still has his work cut out in order to make the team, but I agree, just draft a guy.
jr15aggie
AG
Pollard was better than Dalvin Cook last year. I would not do that deal either.
Southlake
Wow. Hopkins going to KC or Buf doesn't seem fair!

I worry about Vaughns pass blocking.
Txhuntr
AG
bonfarr said:

Macarthur said:

I would not do that deal. Too much money and he's started to decline a bit. Not as steep as Zeke but they've got to get away from big investments in the RB position.

I agree to a large extent but the question is going to be what is the plan with Pollard? If he has a good year and rushes for 1200 with another 300 or so in receiving he is going to command a big extension. If we don't give it to him and he walks what is the plan?

I don't care what the plan is as long as it's not a 2nd contract to a rb. You never see CMC, Henry, Cook, etc in the Super Bowl for a reason
98Ag99Grad
AG
OTA Report
jr15aggie
AG
Any word on a landing spot for Hopkins?

Likely to be a 1 year deal this late in the offseason. Cowboys have just over 20 Mil in cap space right now. Other than the fact that un-used cap space can roll into next year, not a huge reason not to use that money.

I'm not looking to add a 1,500 yard player to the team... I'm looking to add another guy (not named CD) that can make a gosh dang play when it's win or go home time. If nobody else steps up, it's going to be more of the same bracketed coverage on CD and we'll be screwed (again).
Tksymm7
AG
Rumors are that his market is pretty tepid. Understandably too if he really does want around 15 per year.
Big_Time_Timmy_Jim
OBJ got a 1 yr $18m deal which is really $13.835 million signing bonus, a $1.165 million base salary and $3 million in incentives...convince him to sign a prove it deal full of incentives but with a solid guaranteed base.
jr15aggie
AG
Yeah, I don't want any part of a deal that is pushing 20 mil... we obviously can't spend all of our cap.

But if he's open to the 12 million range with 1-2 million extra in incentives then I'd like Jerry to at least pick up the phone.
Woods Ag
AG
Lamb is a decent wide receiver.

Want to have a real shot at winning the Super Bowl you sign Hopkins. Trade CD if you have to (not that it would happen) but if you want a real difference maker st WR then you figure it out.
Agristotle
AG
No thanks on Hopkins. He can't run anymore and is obviously juicing. He wants OBJ money and will then get hurt.
Macarthur
Woods Ag said:

Want to have a real shot at winning the Super Bowl you sign Hopkins. Trade CD if you have to (not that it would happen) but if you want a real difference maker st WR then you figure it out.

Lamb is a bit better than decent.
Woods Ag
AG
I don't care how you describe the tiers.

It's like this:

Hopkins

CD Lamb
Woods Ag
AG
Can he not run anymore? I didn't watch him last year, but in 9 games he had 800 yards and 60+ receptions.. That's another 1300+ yard season with Kyler and Colt.
Big_Time_Timmy_Jim
He'd be a great compliment to CD and cooks. Cowboys are close enough to winning it all, you have to take some shots and overextend in the short term to get over that hump. Something like this and elite ILB would be my wishes. Wanted a veteran OG but they seem to think they have that covered.
bonfarr
AG
Woods Ag said:

I'm with you on Lamb. We drafted him as a #1 WR and he has shown flashes but just doesn't take over games like a TO or Irvin. He is a sold starter and young star but he needs to have more of the fierce competitor mentality that those other two had.
jr15aggie
AG
Big_Time_Timmy_Jim said:

He'd be a great compliment to CD and cooks. Cowboys are close enough to winning it all, you have to take some shots and overextend in the short term to get over that hump. Something like this and elite ILB would be my wishes. Wanted a veteran OG but they seem to think they have that covered.

The Cowboys have basically done this already. They've re-worked deals with guys like Gallup to free up cap now. They've kicked the can down the road with so many contracts, it's going to catch up to us very soon. You might as well spend what you have now and go for it.

CD, Micah, Diggs... all still on rookie deals and the NFC is as weak as it's been in probably 2 decades.
Woods Ag
AG
or Miles Austin for a moment...

Was he just a creation of Tony Romo's greatness? Seriously asking, bc for a moment he was a monster... just looked back at stats and my memory of him was better than he was statistically.

Yeah, I'm not saying he's bad, but he hasn't become a #1 that forces a defense to do something to contain him.
Macarthur
I disagree. I think defenses absolutely game plan Lamb. Watch the SF playoff game.
Macarthur
These are pretty damn close to top 5 WR numbers....

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/ceedee-lamb/61570
zgolfz85
AG
put me down in the no for hopkins camp, unless we can get him super cheap, which we can't
Agristotle
AG
That's actually a quote from an anonymous scout the other day. But he's never had great separation, he gets by on physicality and great hands.
Peter Klaven
AG
4th in catches, 6th in yards and 4th in TDs....seems like a pretty good case for top 5 to me.
Txhuntr
AG
All Hopkins does is come down with balls that are anywhere in his catch radius. That's a pretty great weapon for a qb who's not the most accurate in the league. And as was mentioned above, wouldn't allow teams to just key on cd when a timely play late in the game is needed
jr15aggie
AG
I think, for me, Hopkins or no Hopkins comes down to two things: Is Cook's a really good WR and will Gallup return to pre-injury form?

If the answer is YES to both then I'm OK passing on Hopkins. That would give us a solid #2 WR and Gallup could go back to being a menacing #3 guy.

That would be a HUGE improvement over last year when Gimpy Gallup was our #2 and Noah Brown was our #3.
zgolfz85
AG
jr15aggie said:

I think, for me, Hopkins or no Hopkins comes down to two things: Is Cook's a really good WR and will Gallup return to pre-injury form?

If the answer is YES to both then I'm OK passing on Hopkins. That would give us a solid #2 WR and Gallup could go back to being a menacing #3 guy.

That would be a HUGE improvement over last year when Gimpy Gallup was our #2 and Noah Brown was our #3.
yep, I think the probable resurgence of gallup in year 2 of acl recovery is largely being overlooked
Woods Ag
AG
I agree.

I have my doubts with cooks… Im not a huge fan and I don't really like the fit with Dallas.

I do think Gallup returns to form, but that's more wishful thinking as I've said before Im a big fan of his.
Macarthur
The thing w Cooks is that he doesn't have to be great. He just needs to be a deep threat to take pressure off CD.
aggieactor01
AG
Woods Ag said:

I agree.

I have my doubts with cooks… Im not a huge fan and I don't really like the fit with Dallas.

I do think Gallup returns to form, but that's more wishful thinking as I've said before Im a big fan of his.
I did hear a discussion on one of the podcasts that covers the cowboys that makes me think Cooks will be an overall positive add (I forget which one as I was listening to several over the last week).

They were talking about how he's a solid veteran receiver who has had 1000+ receiving yards 6 times at 4 different teams. He's a pro who seems to already be having a positive influence on the younger receivers and could be that "grown-up" in the room for them. They were talking about one of the younger receivers already saying he's been really helpful in building the right mindset and letting go of last year.

If he can be a mature voice and take a little pressure off CD then I think he'll be a positive add.
Woods Ag
AG
It's hard for me to believe he's a great locker room guy when he's been dealt this many times. The guy is talented for sure, so why is he constantly traded?

That statement about him showing veteran leadership, teaching the young guys to be pros, and making his presence felt are the standard go-tos everytime a older dude joins a new team. I promise I can google OBJ in Baltimore and there are probably 4 articles written in the last month that say the same thing. It's media scripted bull*****

Think about how absurd it is to say something like "he's making his presence felt" ... who says that naturally? yet we hear it by every GM, coach, player when asked about an offseason addition. Hell, watch the preseason interviews iwth our Aggie football players and I promise everyone of them will recite these phrases when asked about other players development, etc.

I sure hope its true tho.
jr15aggie
AG
I agree it's all BS until we see it. It's why I asked the question above... is Cooks any good and will Gallup be better/healthier than last year?

Be nice if the answer was a big "YES", but even if the answer is a little "yes" then we are better off than we were last year. I feel extremely confident that Cooks as our #2 will be better than 2022 Gallup... and I feel pretty good that 2023 Gallup will be a better #3 than Brown last year.

So we'll be better at WR, I just hope it's significantly better.
Southlake
CD = Miles Austin.

No to Hopkins. Cowboys will need the $ to shore up a questionable O-Line.

(Yup, there goes Southlake again complaining about lack of improvement to a possibly suspect o-line. Doesn't he know tha O-lines aren't very exciting?)

At this rate, we will be taking O linemen off the streets late in the season.
Ag Natural
AG
Southlake said:

CD = Miles Austin.

No to Hopkins. Cowboys will need the $ to shore up a questionable O-Line.

(Yup, there goes Southlake again complaining about lack of improvement to a possibly suspect o-line. Doesn't he know tha O-lines aren't very exciting?)

At this rate, we will be taking O linemen off the streets late in the season.
Who is the weak link? Every projection I see shows a really solid top 6 or 7. Yeah, injuries can happen but you can't plan to have 9-10 starting quality olinemen.
jr15aggie
AG
The Cowboys (Jerry) never slam the door completely shut on anything, but say it is "very unlikely" they pursue Hopkins. So I'm not saying 100% it ain't happening.... but it ain't happening!
jr15aggie
AG
Nothing super credible, but I have seen it said that the Cowboys, at the very least, have considered doing something to bring in Dalvin Cook (MN is shopping him / might cut him).

I wouldn't hate it for the right price in a "win now" scenario. I went into the draft saying that we needed another "juice" player at RB. I wish we would have taken Achane in the 2nd instead of an athletic "he blocks really good" TE.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.