*******Official Cowboys Offseason 2023*******

122,201 Views | 1943 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Vince Blake
Ryan34
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Spaceship said:

Cooks is only 30, has historically been very durable and averages 70 catch/yr for his career. A great pick up for the price paid.

Not so sure on the durability. He's maybe one concussion away from retirement. He's had like 5 already.
AgGrad99
AG
Rex Racer said:

So far, this off season has gone perfectly. Did the Jones family sell the team when we weren't looking?

Exactly my thoughts
Spaceship
AG
He's only missed 6 games since 2014 which is pretty dang durable.
Tksymm7
AG
I was going to say, he had some issues early on in his career, but the last handful of years he's been there.
Tksymm7
AG
We still have Jalin Tolbert as well. He clearly was not ready for the NFL last year, but they aren't going to give up on him after his rookie season. WR is a position, ESPECIALLY coming from a no name school, that can take time to learn at the NFL level. I don't expect him to be Davante Adams, but they are going to continue to invest in him and hope it clicks.
Macarthur
Very nice move.
jr15aggie
AG
Spaceship said:

In terms of WR depth next year, it's Lamb, Gallup and Cooks, with Hilton and Noah Brown gone. I'm assuming WR4 and WR5 either come from the draft or additional free agency?

I think Fehoko is a guy they think might be ready to take Browns spot from a couple years ago... spare WR / special teamer.

Tolbert is a huge ? but so was Dalton Schultz after year one... sometimes it only takes time if the guy us putting in the work.

And finally, I bet we see them take a WR in rounds 1-4.
TyHolden
AG
What's our biggest need in draft now?
Tksymm7
AG
Guard, Corner, RB, LB, and I think it's likely in that order unless Bijan falls to us.
Vince Blake
Unless a defensive stud falls thats not expected to be there, I think you draft at 26 an offensive weapon that makes an immediate impact. For me that is Robinson, Gibbs, or Kincaid. Listening to the draft show the other day and Broaddus really sold me on Gibbs. I'm good if he's the pick.
jr15aggie
AG
Tksymm7 said:

Guard, Corner, RB, LB, and I think it's likely in that order unless Bijan falls to us.

I don't disagree with the order, but keep in mind, with regards to where they go with their 1st rounder, they want/expect him to start or play a lot.

If their expectations right now are that Tyron and Tyler are the starting LT and LG, I'm not sure they take a guard #1. Same thing for CB... that guy would walk into training camp as the #5 guy.

I think Bijan is a no brainer at 26. I personally think Gibbs is too, but I'm not sure how the Cowboys feel about him. But imo, a RB immediately impacts our offense and puts them over the top more than any other player/position could.

Another sleeper first rounder at this point would be DT, but I have no idea how they grade any of those guys.
Ryan34
AG
Spaceship said:

He's only missed 6 games since 2014 which is pretty dang durable.

Understood, but that understates the injury risk. His concussions (and contract) are why his trade value was so low. He had 5 documented concussions in his first 6 years. There was serious concern that his career would be over at 27.

It's a very good trade for the Cowboys though. Cooks is a good player. A 5th plus future 6th is almost nothing and a good price given the injury risk.
jr15aggie
AG
Vince Blake said:

Unless a defensive stud falls thats not expected to be there, I think you draft at 26 an offensive weapon that makes an immediate impact. For me that is Robinson, Gibbs, or Kincaid. Listening to the draft show the other day and Broaddus really sold me on Gibbs. I'm good if he's the pick.

Hell yes Vince... some of yall are starting to get it. Who helps this team right now? We've done that with our free agents... now go do it in the draft.

Pollard is coming off a bad injury and isn't a 25 carries per game guy anyway. We need a 1A & 1B RB on this teams depth chart. Bijan or Gibbs no matter what IMO.

There are indeed other good RBs we could get later and that's also fine, but none of those guys can do what Bijan/Gibbs can in the running/passing game.
LincolnBorglum79
AG
The biggest question about Cooks is who will Dallas trade him to at the end of the season. He has been traded 5 times now and is best buds with Jack Easterby. He refused to play a few weeks when the Texans fired Jack.

But it is a solid move for next year. When he wants to he can be a solid third WR.
Ag Natural
AG
Yall know the Cowboys draft strategy is going to be best available regardless of "need". They're goal is to go into the draft not having any glaring needs.
jteagle
AG
With McCarthy's comments about Kellen Moore, it would not surprise me at all if the Cowboys take a RB at 26. But you never know.
TyHolden
AG
jteagle said:

With McCarthy's comments about Kellen Moore, it would not surprise me at all if the Cowboys take a RB at 26. But you never know.
I'm fine with this. Just don't overpay him when his rookie contract is up.
Agristotle
AG
Cooks is good. He gets open even with the Texans, who have no other threats, poor quarterbacking and no time to throw. This is a good deal.
Tksymm7
AG
I think the organization would be stupid as hell to move Tyron smith back to left tackle and have Tyler play guard. He spent his entire rookie season there, let him keep growing.

As to taking the best available, I do think this is their strategy for the first round. The cowboys don't have a ton of holes, and if they do they aren't big. So try to find an impact player anywhere you can, and that's why I say guard, corner, and RB are likely the moves there, because those positions are deep in this draft.
jr15aggie
AG
The only thing I'll say about guard... if you want a plug and play starter you better get him at 26 (guy from Florida). Big drop off after him and the TCU kid. Not sure you find another day 1 starting quality guy in this draft.

I'm not sure he'll be there at 26 though. We saw the top 2 Guards go off the board before Dallas picked last year.
Wabs
AG
Are we now not going after Hopkins??? Really, really stupid if we don't.
Macarthur
Agree. Both of those guys are plug and play for a decade.

I've seen some think the TCU kid would be a great C.
TyHolden
AG
I'd take a first round guard over an rb all day. You can win with serviceable rbs if your OL is decent. Look at KC and a hobbled qb and a seventh round rb. If our OL is crap, Dak is crap, and our running game is crap.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Would a 5th come in this year and contribute as much as Cooks? Not likely. In that regard it's a good move. I still think we need to draft one or sign another at a minimum
Tksymm7
AG
I think they are probably still interested in drafting someone, but it no longer forces the issue of needing to draft a guy in the first or even second. They can probably get away taking someone in the third or fourth.
gigem1223
They still have Jalen Tolbert as well. Not giving up on him yet.
jr15aggie
AG
Wabs said:

Hopkins would have been nice, but what was AZ asking for? The more I heard it discussed the more it sounded to me like AZ wanted a 2nd plus a little extra something on top of that.

IMO, that's too rich for just about any player who's on the wrong side of 30.

I'm extremely happy using day 3 picks for these 30 something vets with gas still in the tank. If Cooks and Gilmore work out as well as Robert Quinn did, we just hit two offseason home runs.
Vince Blake
Just saw this. Love the deal even more! Seriously WTF is going on with the Cowboys front office? So much competence this free agency period. They hire someone new?
AgGrad99
AG
Why would Houston do that? They trying to free up cap space or something?
Tksymm7
AG
Not completely sure, but Houston is in the IDGAF stage of their rebuild because who (BY) they are about to draft and how many guys they are about to draft. If they think someone doesn't fit their plans schematically, financially, or personality wise, then see ya.
jr15aggie
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Why would Houston do that? They trying to free up cap space or something?

Some say the draft is like throwing darts.... and the more darts you have the more likely to hit on a guy.

They were un a situation where Cooks wasn't coming back and they could take the deal on the table (get another dart) or they could cut him and get nothing.
TyHolden
AG
He didn't want to stay in Houston anymore....if you've lived in the tine, you'd know.
jteagle
AG
Wabs said:

Hopkins has some really unbelievable, highlight reel catches bit of you look at production, there really isn't much difference between him and Cooks. Hopkins gets more hype but Cooks is a better deal right now.
DannyDuberstein
AG
This was a great trade. Minimal draft pick pain, minimal cap hit pain. A guy who is a little younger. Hopkins will be 31 in a couple of months and is coming off 2 years of trouble staying on the field.
Southlake
Best part of getting Cooks is not getting OBJ. Don't need that drama.

Cooks concussion history is a concern.

Bijan = Zeke for a first round pick. Or any RB in the first round. Get the best OG available. Look what happened last time the cowboys took a G in the first round…by the end of the season, when the O line injuries pile up, it will be nice to have depth on the line.

Go get Ronald Jones to be part of the RB stable.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.