*******Official Cowboys Offseason 2023*******

122,276 Views | 1943 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Vince Blake
Ag Natural
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dak does a lot that the average fan isn't going to notice. He manages the game entirely. The issue has been our foundation has been sketchy and unreliable leaving more to him to adjust pre-snap. If McCarthy gets his way, we'll have a lot more success running the ball and make it where Dak only has to be a star 10% of the time.

He doesn't have the arm talent of the very top QBs. But his accuracy and strength have become vastly underrated.
Woods Ag
AG
Tksymm7 said:

I agree with your point that Dak has largely been a game manager type of QB for most of his career. I would put him in a category between the elite guys and game managers as what I call a game manager+. Someone who can elevate themselves on given weeks (like what we saw against Tampa) and play like the upper echelon guys, but also play like a true game manager or worse at times when teams take things away from him. Where I will disagree with you is that I don't think he has the stuff physically. Dak has an average arm and average mobility because of the ankle injury. His physical limitations are why I think he will be a game manager+ for his career or maybe even worse as he ages.

I want to add that him being a game manager+ isn't necessarily a bad thing, as there are only a handful and some change of elite QBs in the NFL, and only a few that come out of college. Where being a game manager+ becomes an issue is when you start to turn the ball over like he did last year. You can't be what Dak is physically and turn the ball over at that rate. If you're Mahomes and throwing 20 picks but also throwing 40 td's, then its livable, but when you are throwing 25 td's and 20 picks, then you have a guy who probably shouldn't be out there.

You're right. Physically he's not up to snuff. He has a noodle arm and when he isn't decisive he's borderline unplayable. His athleticism was what separates him and his injuries have hampered that.

McCarthys play calling SHOULD help. I love listening to Trent Dilfer talk about QBs and OCs. The OC should be scheming up east throws and decisions most of the time and your QB is only asked to "make a play" a handful of times a game. Dak has not had that at all, and I'm hopeful McCarthy fixes this.
Ag Natural
AG
Woods Ag said:

Tksymm7 said:

I agree with your point that Dak has largely been a game manager type of QB for most of his career. I would put him in a category between the elite guys and game managers as what I call a game manager+. Someone who can elevate themselves on given weeks (like what we saw against Tampa) and play like the upper echelon guys, but also play like a true game manager or worse at times when teams take things away from him. Where I will disagree with you is that I don't think he has the stuff physically. Dak has an average arm and average mobility because of the ankle injury. His physical limitations are why I think he will be a game manager+ for his career or maybe even worse as he ages.

I want to add that him being a game manager+ isn't necessarily a bad thing, as there are only a handful and some change of elite QBs in the NFL, and only a few that come out of college. Where being a game manager+ becomes an issue is when you start to turn the ball over like he did last year. You can't be what Dak is physically and turn the ball over at that rate. If you're Mahomes and throwing 20 picks but also throwing 40 td's, then its livable, but when you are throwing 25 td's and 20 picks, then you have a guy who probably shouldn't be out there.

You're right. Physically he's not up to snuff. He has a noodle arm and when he isn't decisive he's borderline unplayable. His athleticism was what separates him and his injuries have hampered that.

McCarthys play calling SHOULD help. I love listening to Trent Dilfer talk about QBs and OCs. The OC should be scheming up east throws and decisions most of the time and your QB is only asked to "make a play" a handful of times a game. Dak has not had that at all, and I'm hopeful McCarthy fixes this.
Dak has an above average arm. All you have to do is watch the difference when Cooper Rush is out there. Yeah, he has to use good mechanics and isn't the kind of freak that Mahomes or Rodgers is... but neither is Tom Brady.
Woods Ag
AG
Unless he has surgery to correct some issue his arm now is terrible. Brad Johnson style
gigem1223
Woods Ag said:

Unless he has surgery to correct some issue his arm now is terrible. Brad Johnson style

I can't tell if you're trolling or just have some incredibly bad takes. Prescott has an above average arm in the nfl. Stats , analytics, eyeball test etc will back that.
gigem1223
Dak plays within a system and does what that system calls on him to do. To call him a game manager is a bit of a stretch. Game managers don't throw for 4500+ yds and 30+ TDs multiple seasons. They also don't lead the highest scoring offense in the nfl multiple seasons. The Dak criticism is getting ridiculous.
DannyDuberstein
AG
With a good cast, he's a good qb. Without it, he can't create and is not very good. And by good cast, he needs it all - quality blocking and quality targets. He's also inconsistent. I just have trouble ever seeing him put together the 3-4 straight games it will take to win a Lombardi unless they put something absolutely amazing around him.
gigem1223
DannyDuberstein said:

With a good cast, he's a good qb. Without it, he can't create and is not very good. And by good cast, he needs it all - quality blocking and quality targets. He's also inconsistent. I just have trouble ever seeing him put together the 3-4 straight games it will take to win a Lombardi unless they put something absolutely amazing around him.

Insert every QB in the nfl not named Mahomes
Macarthur
Geez, I'm sorry but there is some insane talk going on right now....

Dak isn't good? Unless he's got a good cast around him?

Do you guys have any idea just how good Dak has been? Serious as a heart attack. Do you know?
Ag Natural
AG
gigem1223 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Insert every QB in the nfl not named Mahomes
And even Mahomes has his stinker games. He was horrible against the Bengals in the playoffs two seasons ago.
Woods Ag
AG
I have a strong opinion. Definitely never trolling..

His arm is not strong anymore. He's been throwing floaters.

You say game managers don't put up his stats. A good game manager in today's game does. He is literally Kirk Cousins with a better PR team. There's no difference. Do you think Kirk Cousins is good? That's not a new, hot take. It's been said for a couple of years now because it's true. What Danny said below you is absolutely correct - he can win, but it's with excellent support all around him.

And that is not true about every QB not named Mahomes. I'm not a kool-aid drinking fan. The only team I drink the kool-aid on every year is the damn Aggies... I tell myself every year I am just going to be a die-hard cowboy fan and not be critical of their weaknesses, but I can't do it.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Dak is equal to or better than Cousins in essentially every meaningful QB stat category, but more importantly he is MUCH better in big games and in close games in the 4th quarter. Dak's career QBR against teams above .500 is over 10 points higher.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Woods Ag
AG
How does it compare in just the last 2 years? Don't know, just asking.
Macarthur
If you just look at the superficial numbers, yes, there are a ton of similairies to Cousins. I don't think that's a knock on Dak, I just think most folks don't realize that Cousins has put up really good numbers in his career.

What you have to look at, as was said, is Dak's advanced stats are better than cousins. Not to mention Dak, I think, has much better intangibles and isn't hated by his teammates.
Tksymm7
AG
I just need Dak to win and play well for more than a game in the playoffs. It's that's simple. And until he does that I'll be one foot out on him. He's not a bad QB at all, he just hasn't been able to do it yet and his clock is ticking.
Macarthur
Not to mention, Dak has more playoff wins in for division titles. Cousins hasn't one is division wants in his career.
Macarthur
Tksymm7 said:

I just need Dak to win and play well for more than a game in the playoffs. It's that's simple. And until he does that I'll be one foot out on him. He's not a bad QB at all, he just hasn't been able to do it yet and his clock is ticking.

And that's fair. His last two postseasons he has ran up against his kryptonite in SF. He's got to be better.

Woods Ag
AG
Well said. I'll stfu if he can be consistent when it matters.
jr15aggie
AG
Macarthur said:

Tksymm7 said:

And that's fair. His last two postseasons he has ran up against his kryptonite in SF. He's got to be better.

Yeah, it's really tough when you look at his playoff career. There were times where he could have been better, but he's also been let down by his team plenty of times too.

We already talked about the BS that was his rookie year playoffs... he played really well but unheard of penalties and Rogers doomed him.

He played well and won a game against a pretty good Seattle team in 2018 and then lost in LA the next week. He played fine in that game, but we could, not, stop, the, run!!! Gave up 273 yards rushing... just wow!

2021 is the only game I would put on him. We were better than SF, but they had a very good defense and our D gave up 169 yards rushing which proved to be the difference. He got no help from the running game, but still, a better Dak could have won that game!

2022 we dominated a team that shouldn't have been in the playoffs. The SF loss was not on Dak. Once Pollard went down we got ZERO for the running game and then the #1 defense simply took away CD... game over. That and IMO this was the game that got Kellen Moore was fired. Everybody just keep running curls at the sticks, give me a friggin break!
Macarthur
Agree. His playoff numbers are not bad, but as I mentioned, SF has been hard on him. And you're right, his team hasn't done him any favors in those losses.
Woods Ag
AG
I don't know what this says but We're not giving fractions of points for who won more division games.
Macarthur
I think winning your division is important. You don't?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Tampa Bay helped pump his playoff stats, and that was an amazing game. But 6 TDs and 5 picks in the other 5 (1-4 record) is pretty rough in this era of football. Not all his fault, but has really struggled to elevate his team that time of year
Grapesoda2525
Woods Ag said:

I wasn't going to comment on being absolutely wrong, but I like the exercise of going back and revisiting stats

2016 Cowboys Offense:

Passing:
Attempts: 30th
Completions: 25th
Comp %: 4th
Yards: 23rd
TDs: 15th
Int: 3rd (fewest)
Sacks: 24th (good thing)

Rushing:
Attempts: 1st (499 attempts)
Yards: 2nd
TDs: 2nd

Conversions:
3rd Down Attempts: 4th (fewest)
3rd Down %: 10th

Defense:
Yards: 14th
Plays: 12th
Pass Yds: 26th
P TDs: 19th
Rush Yds: 1st
R TDs: 3rd

Penalties: 2nd
Pen Yard: 3rd

Dak was very much asked to be a game manager which isn't an knock on him at all especially as a rookie. He was phenomenal in the spot and far exceeded expectations. But he was a game manager. That's all he's ever been at his best and what he needs to be for us to win.

That team was one of the best built teams we've had in a long long time. Expectations, not unfairly (like normal) were for us to compete for the SB. It was actually true that year. Many of us here I think are in agreement that Romo doesn't get near the credit he deserved for how talented he was and with a receiving core of Cole Beasely, Dez Bryant, Witten, and a sprinkle of Terrance Williams for speed. That was a ridiculously good offense with an unbelievably talented OLine. To say it wasn't is just flat wrong.

The defense was a run stopping unit with Sean Lee staying healthy for 15 games, was all over the field, and tackling anyone that showed themselves. Nothing flashy, just a bend but down break, solid defense.

I place a lot of the blame for that loss on Garrett.

I hope I'm remembering this correctly, but the first drive of the game. We had a 4th down and 1 at the GB 30 yard line. Garrett kicks a field goal and we make it, but I still think the call was inexcusable.

Best rushing attack. #1 seed. At home. Impose your will and if they stop you, then they earned it and they get the ball at the 30. Big deal.

Still think Garrett was way too conservative to be a head coach in the NFL.
Vince Blake
Bring the hate!
Woods Ag
AG
I don't really like the news that Micah Parsons is bulking up to become a full-time DE.

I think what makes him special is his speed/quickness and his ability to move all over the front 7. I don't want to lock him into 1 position, and I definitely don't want him bulked up. The dude is perfect just the way he is. Why do we have a tendency to try to fit everyone into a round hole instead of letting them be different. The NFL is terrible at this. I just don't get that.
Big_Time_Timmy_Jim

Woods Ag
AG
That's refreshing. Ty
Big_Time_Timmy_Jim
I think this is a move positioning for his next contract. If he is a DE vs LB the bag he'll get is much, much bigger.
Woods Ag
AG
Yeah, I thought of that. Just want him to keep his position flexibility. If they ruin the best player we've had since Demarcus ware… I may have to adopt the Chiefs now that I live in MO.
Macarthur
I'm really torn about it. He was really banged up a lot last year and that's going to happen when 245lbs guys take on 300+ OTs every play. So I understand the need to bulk up some but obviously you don't want to sacrifice what makes him so special.
Ag Natural
AG
Woods Ag said:

I don't really like the news that Micah Parsons is bulking up to become a full-time DE.

I think what makes him special is his speed/quickness and his ability to move all over the front 7. I don't want to lock him into 1 position, and I definitely don't want him bulked up. The dude is perfect just the way he is. Why do we have a tendency to try to fit everyone into a round hole instead of letting them be different. The NFL is terrible at this. I just don't get that.
He clearly wore down a bit last season and even then was our best player in the playoffs. He's a special player getting to the QB. Honestly, anytime he's not rushing the offense is thanking you. It makes perfect sense to stop messing around and just make him a full time DE. You can still move him around and bring him from different spots.
Disco Stu
AG
I thought he played too much DE last year. I think his skills combined with his position flex is what makes him so problematic for defenses.
Woods Ag
AG
agreed. He's our best pass rusher, our best run stopping LB, and our best coverage LB.

I want him rushing from all over the field on passing downs, and I want him off the LOS on running downs. And occasionally a rush decoy thats dropping into coverage
Ag Natural
AG
Woods Ag said:

agreed. He's our best pass rusher, our best run stopping LB, and our best coverage LB.

I want him rushing from all over the field on passing downs, and I want him off the LOS on running downs. And occasionally a rush decoy thats dropping into coverage

He's kind of a disaster as an off ball linebacker. I dont know what you're watching. Micah is elite as chasing down plays and attacking. He's horrible at reading action coming at him and diagnosing plays. There's a reason Dan Quinn starting putting him in an attack role exclusively by the end of last season.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.