*******Official Cowboys Offseason 2023*******

122,300 Views | 1943 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Vince Blake
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can't see it happening... everything has a price. He's been everything Tampa wanted when they picked him 5th overall. I see 3 obstacles to getting him:

1. Pay Tampa's asking price (A LOT of draft capital / players)
2. Be a team White's willing to sign with long term.
3. Available cap space to pay his monster deal next year.

Dallas could potentially satisfy #1 & #2... but #3 would be a big problem.
gigem1223
Doubt the asking price is as high as you think. Especially with seeing the trades that have gone down this off-season. He's essentially a 1 year deal. Doubt we'd resign him. This move would be a LA rams type move to go for it next season.
Ag Natural
AG
The Lions just trade a former #3 pick for a 5th rounder.
Tksymm7
AG
He's not good though, that's the difference. The argument could be made that Devin White is the best pure stand-up linebacker in the league.
Ag Natural
AG
Tksymm7 said:

He's not good though, that's the difference. The argument could be made that Devin White is the best pure stand-up linebacker in the league.
Okudah had a nice game against the Cowboys last season. I think he had 15 tackles. I agree he's not White, but I think any guy in the final year of his contract is going to have a compromised trade value.
Vince Blake
Not sure if there is a better comp situation, but Roquan Smith was traded to Baltimore for a player (AJ Klein), a 2nd, and a 5th. Then Baltimore signed Roquan to a 5y 100mil deal with 45 fully guaranteed and 60 total guaranteed. I would imagine that would be the starting point of a Devin White deal.
jr15aggie
AG
Tampa GM pretty adamant they aren't trading White which is no surprise. With no QB to pay they will have plenty of money for the best player on their team.
Woods Ag
AG
That's just kind of what they ahve to say to try to regain some leverage when the player comes out in public and says "trade me"

The value of any offer coming in for him instantly goes down, so the team comes out and publicly says "we aren't trading him"

Not saying they won't keep him, but it's like the vote of confidence to a HC on the hot seat. Just what you have to say.
Tksymm7
AG
Making Jalen Hurts the highest paid player in NFL history is ballsy asf. I like hurts and would be happy if he was my QB, but man I don't know if I like paying him $255 for five years, $179.3 guaranteed and a no trade clause. That's bonkers.
98Ag99Grad
AG
And people thought the Dak deal was crazy. My goodness that's a gamble on their part.
Rex Racer
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

And people thought the Dak deal was crazy. My goodness that's a gamble on their part.
Just imagine how much Dak is going to get on this next deal coming up.
Tksymm7
AG
Hopefully a kick to the curb at that price...sheesh.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Or Burrow, Lawrence and Herbert.
jr15aggie
AG
Going from benched in a National Championship game to 170+ million guaranteed. Good for him.

I'm definitely more than fine with this as a Cowboys fan. If durability ever becomes a concern and they have to live/die with his arm talent alone I'll take my chances against that!

I'm not sure why they didn't wait until after the draft though. Their #10 and #31 picks would probably be enough to get to Arizona's pick at #3... at least see which QB makes it past Chicago and Houston before betting the farm on Hurd.
Macarthur
Tksymm7 said:

Hopefully a kick to the curb at that price...sheesh.

I've been one of the 'that's the market' so that's what you pay type of person, but at that point, Dak will be 34, I think.

I would def be in favor of letting Dak walk.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Dak's deal is really only thru 2024, so that decision will need to be made about the time be is turning 32. Any years after 2024 on his current deal are voidable funny money years to spread out his current cap hit. He's still likely got one more big deal contract decision
Ag Natural
AG
The Eagles really had no choice. They had a great year and Hurts put up big numbers in the Super Bowl. I personally would have tried to wait another year. But if you do that you risk getting into a Lamar Jackson vs Ravens situation. Supposedly Hurts is high character and very hard worker. Similar to Dak. So if you're going to take a gamble he's the type of guy to bet on.

All that said, I'm not sold on this guy as a passer or decision maker. That offense was loaded.

Txhuntr
AG
Let. Him. Walk. Unless he wants to take a team friendly deal that more than makes up for itself in sponsorships. He is not consistent enough to command that price tag
Woods Ag
AG
I like it better than if Dak were to get that deal, but I don't like it like it..

IDK, Burrow, Mahomes... everyone else has work to do for that kind of money, but that just means as a team you're drafting a new QB every 4-5 years.
jr15aggie
AG
Txhuntr said:

Let. Him. Walk.

OR... maybe we wait and see how Dak performs under an OC that doesn't look like he's 24!
Txhuntr
AG
Fair enough…he has two years to show more consistency in his game. Otherwise, let's play a little draft roulette in hopes we get a qb that can get us a Super Bowl or two. As successful as Dak and romo have been in a lot of regards, they have failed miserably in the metric that matters the most. I'd roll with a guy like Brock purdy year after year if it meant we were reaching championship games
Ag Natural
AG
Next season is setup for Dak to have a great year and go far in the playoffs. He's had two rough games in two years against SF in the playoffs, probably the best defense in the league. Meanwhile he's demolished Philly and NY since he's been a Cowboy. So Hurts and Jones get paid and Dak is undefeated against those two guys.

There was a good article in The Athletic detailing why Moore needed to go. He's a huge reason for the offense falling apart after T-DAY every year. Jury is still out on McCarthy but I think this was the right call. The only thing that makes me nervous is he hired Brian Shottenheimer as the fake OC. Yeah, that's the guy we won a playoff game against when he was in Seattle. I think the offense will be a lot more boring next year but that might be okay with this defense. We shall see.
DTP02
AG
Ag Natural said:

The Eagles really had no choice. They had a great year and Hurts put up big numbers in the Super Bowl. I personally would have tried to wait another year. But if you do that you risk getting into a Lamar Jackson vs Ravens situation. Supposedly Hurts is high character and very hard worker. Similar to Dak. So if you're going to take a gamble he's the type of guy to bet on.

I don't get this view. They're bidding against themselves. Nobody else is going to pay that money for Hurts if he hits free agency.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Ag Natural said:

All that said, I'm not sold on this guy as a passer or decision maker. That offense was loaded.

Hurts wouldn't get half that from any other team. It's completely absurd to think this was the number they had to give him.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ag Natural
AG
DTP02 said:

Ag Natural said:

I don't get this view. They're bidding against themselves. Nobody else is going to pay that money for Hurts if he hits free agency.
Well if you pay attention to the league. Every team seems terrified to let their QB hit the open market. And the problem is, unless it's Jimmy G, there is the risk of permanent damage to the relationship. See the Ravens. I think the Ravens are right in that they've made a fair offer but at this point feelings are hurt. I honestly think the Lamar situation led direction to Hurts and Jones getting deals done.
Southlake
Hurts is worth that kind of money. (Unfortunately)
jr15aggie
AG
Southlake said:

Unlikely, but he could prove us wrong. The problem is, he's only done it at a very high level one year and that was with a stacked team around him.

They paid Carson Wentz a ton of money for similar reasons and quickly learned that it had nothing to do with him and everything to do with the right players, right coaches, and right schemes at the right time. Lightening in a bottle.
Macarthur
jr15aggie said:

Southlake said:

Unlikely, but he could prove us wrong. The problem is, he's only done it at a very high level one year and that was with a stacked team around him.

They paid Carson Wentz a ton of money for similar reasons and quickly learned that it had nothing to do with him and everything to do with the right players, right coaches, and right schemes at the right time. Lightening in a bottle.

Yeah, I agree. I'm all about guys getting what the market will bear, but I fear that these QB salaries are accelerating at a more rapid pace than the cap. The QB position as a % of the total cap is getting out of hand.

A quick look shows that the NFL average has been around 7-8% the last few years. KC has been the highest at around 18%. Obviously, he's a diff guy, but the other top teams were teams that were not particularly successful.

FYI, for those wondering, Dak is around 12%.

But looking at Hurts deal, it's really friendly the next couple of years, but looks like it could have some $90m cap hit years on the back end. wow.
Ag Natural
AG
Macarthur said:

jr15aggie said:

Southlake said:

Yeah, I agree. I'm all about guys getting what the market will bear, but I fear that these QB salaries are accelerating at a more rapid pace than the cap. The QB position as a % of the total cap is getting out of hand.

A quick look shows that the NFL average has been around 7-8% the last few years. KC has been the highest at around 18%. Obviously, he's a diff guy, but the other top teams were teams that were not particularly successful.

But looking at Hurts deal, it's really friendly the next couple of years, but looks like it could have some $90m cap hit years on the back end. wow.
Yeah, that is another part of the urgency for Philly. If you get your guy to sign an extension before the current deal is up it gives you more flexibility in allocating the cap hit to certain years. It will almost certainly be restructured before those big hits come. The Cowboys really wanted Dak to sign much earlier. When he held out and played a year on the tag it really screwed them.
gigem1223
Southlake said:

For one great year? With elite skill position players across the board and an elite OL? I'm still skeptical.
dave94
AG
Ag Natural said:

Macarthur said:

jr15aggie said:

Southlake said:

Yeah, that is another part of the urgency for Philly. If you get your guy to sign an extension before the current deal is up it gives you more flexibility in allocating the cap hit to certain years. It will almost certainly be restructured before those big hits come. The Cowboys really wanted Dak to sign much earlier. When he held out and played a year on the tag it really screwed them.
The Cowboys will be restructuring Dak's deal so the cap hits will be reduced a decent amount. His contract looks like an acceptable deal now that the next round of QBs are going through it. As was expected.
jr15aggie
AG
Another draft name for you guys... Cody Mauch. Plays OT for North Dakota State but some say he would translate as the best guard prospect in this draft. Could be a Travis Frederick type surprise pick that most people never heard of.
Woods Ag
AG
Ideally you draft a QB and surround him with all the talent. Hopefully he performs very well and develops with talent around him and when you pay him that big deal he can then elevate the lesser talent around him bc you cant afford the top guys anymore.

If you're betting on someone, Hurts has the reputation of the guy you want to bet on. It's also the only contract I'd be willing to pay him unless he becomes a savage at dicing up defenses from the pocket with his arm. By late 20s running QBs are a shell of themselves.
TyHolden
AG
Yellerjacket
jr15aggie said:

Another draft name for you guys... Cody Mauch. Plays OT for North Dakota State but some say he would translate as the best guard prospect in this draft. Could be a Travis Frederick type surprise pick that most people never heard of.

I would love to get that guy. Hopefully he's there in the second round.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.