*******Official Cowboys Offseason 2023*******

122,170 Views | 1943 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Vince Blake
BMX Bandit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Seeing Philly -2, 49.5
All I do is Nguyen
LeagueCityAg said:

jtstanley4621 said:

jr15aggie said:

LeagueCityAg said:

Kashchei said:

Another arch-rival in the SB. It's just numbing at this point.
Right after the Astros win another World Series too. Dallas sports fans have had it rough this past year.

Not trying to add on... that's one of the ONLY things I have going for me in sports. I'm an Austin area guy and grew up loving the Cowboys (duh) and the Astros (had HOU family and went to tons of Astros games as a kid).

The Astros success just amplifies what I want for The Cowbos. Stros won in 2017 and this season was crazy enjoyable win or lose because the recent success trumped all. I'd love nothing more than for The Cowboys to win another championship and we can all just enjoy the good seasons whether we win it all or not.

The 25+ year drought makes it so hard to appreciate anything Cowboys related.
A Cowboys fan that's also an astros fan?

It's actually pretty common outside of the Metroplex. I lived in Austin for a few years a knew a couple of Cowboys/Astros/Spurs fans.

I'm in this boat. I'm an Astros, Cowboys, Spurs and Stars fan.
DTP02
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

LeagueCityAg said:

jtstanley4621 said:

jr15aggie said:

LeagueCityAg said:

Kashchei said:

Another arch-rival in the SB. It's just numbing at this point.
Right after the Astros win another World Series too. Dallas sports fans have had it rough this past year.

Not trying to add on... that's one of the ONLY things I have going for me in sports. I'm an Austin area guy and grew up loving the Cowboys (duh) and the Astros (had HOU family and went to tons of Astros games as a kid).

The Astros success just amplifies what I want for The Cowbos. Stros won in 2017 and this season was crazy enjoyable win or lose because the recent success trumped all. I'd love nothing more than for The Cowboys to win another championship and we can all just enjoy the good seasons whether we win it all or not.

The 25+ year drought makes it so hard to appreciate anything Cowboys related.
A Cowboys fan that's also an astros fan?

It's actually pretty common outside of the Metroplex. I lived in Austin for a few years a knew a couple of Cowboys/Astros/Spurs fans.

I'm in this boat. I'm an Astros, Cowboys, Spurs and Stars fan.

I don't get hockey, but otherwise this is me. Also like the Texans and Rangers as secondary teams, which very few can relate to. Cowboys>Spurs>Astros>Rangers=Texans. Aggies over all.
Southlake
Dak's inconsistency against Washington and SF got Moore fired.

Sure wasn't the offense that was at the top of the league in points scored.
PatAg
AG
Southlake said:

Think his playcalling got him fired.
He's gonna get hired somewhere else in the next few weeks, adn will probably continue to get better.
We weren't going to do any more with Moore as OC, time to try a new voice with Dak.
Macarthur
Southlake said:

Nah, this was brewing for a while.
Tksymm7
AG
Imagine being an average AFC team without a QB and looking up and seeing what you have to go through to get to a Super Bowl.

Mahomes
Burrow
Allen
Lawrence
Herbert
Lamar
MookieBlaylock
AG
Tksymm7 said:

Imagine being an average AFC team without a QB and looking up and seeing what you have to go through to get to a Super Bowl.

Mahomes
Burrow
Allen
Lawrence
Herbert
Lamar

Imagine it being then End of 2022/23 seasom and just figuring this out
Tksymm7
AG
Well yes, I am just talking about looking into the future of what is there and will continue to be in the way. If you don't have an elite QB in AFC you might as well just hit restart every year until you can find one.
jr15aggie
AG
I feel the same way about Moore as I did Gregory. NOTHING changes if you keep bringing back the same people and expect different results.

We've seen Moore's offense consistently do the same thing for 3 years now... rack up a ton of yards all season long, but not be able to score points when it matters.

Plenty of reasons to be optimistic for next year.
The Collective
AG
McCarthy already struggles to manage the game.
Macarthur
The Collective said:

It's amazing to me that these guys don't have guys on the staff that this is their only function.

I remember reading a piece a couple of weeks ago about how Sonny Dykes has a guy on his staff that stands close to him and interjects periodically throughout games and that's his only function. When to call TOs, etc.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Macarthur said:

The Collective said:

It's amazing to me that these guys don't have guys on the staff that this is their only function.

I remember reading a piece a couple of weeks ago about how Sonny Dykes has a guy on his staff that stands close to him and interjects periodically throughout games and that's his only function. When to call TOs, etc.
The classic "13 year old that plays Madden" position on the staff
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Tksymm7
AG
I'm sure they do have guys who's job it is to keep track of the logistics of the game per se, what baffles me is that they don't completely turn over the reigns to these guys and have them literally tell you what you should and shouldn't do. If I were a head coach, I would tell them to immediately radio me for anything and I would do it. Take it completely off of my plate except simply talking to the refs.
Macarthur
I agree. So much going on during the game. It just takes one more thing and removes any emotional element to it.
Tksymm7
AG
Kellen Moore was hired by the Chargers to be their offensive coordinator.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Tksymm7 said:

Good for everyone involved. Hopefully Dak gets someone new in his ear to stop his regression, and Moore gets a chance to operate outside Jerry's weird bubble
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Macarthur
ramblin_ag02 said:

Tksymm7 said:

Good for everyone involved. Hopefully Dak gets someone new in his ear to stop his regression, and Moore gets a chance to operate outside Jerry's weird bubble

Agree 100%.

I'm sure the Chargers will put up some big numbers.
Tksymm7
AG
I will be curious to see how much they pass the ball versus run. If they pass the ball 65-70% of the time, then we will know that it was Mike McCarthy/the front office telling him that we needed to run the ball more. If not...well then we can discuss haha.
jr15aggie
AG
Tksymm7 said:

I will be curious to see how much they pass the ball versus run. If they pass the ball 65-70% of the time, then we will know that it was Mike McCarthy/the front office telling him that we needed to run the ball more. If not...well then we can discuss haha.

It will be hard to say. Kellen might try and reinvent himself a bit, learn from what didn't work in Dallas. He'll also have a QB with more arm talent than Dak so I'm not sure we'll be able to take anything away from what he does in LA.

I look for both offenses to look different next year which isn't a bad thing for both these teams. The talent is there but both have a tendency crap the bed when it matters.
Tksymm7
AG
Brock Purdy tore his UCL and will now have pseudo Tommy John surgery. Going to be out 6+ months. What a weird freaking time to be San Francisco and their front office. You have invested a ton of assets in Trey Lance (hasn't worked out yet), found a gem now seriously inured in Purdy, and have a team that is aging but can still win it all with their roster.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Tksymm7 said:

Brock Purdy tore his UCL and will now have pseudo Tommy John surgery. Going to be out 6+ months. What a weird freaking time to be San Francisco and their front office. You have invested a ton of assets in Trey Lance (hasn't worked out yet), found a gem now seriously inured in Purdy, and have a team that is aging but can still win it all with their roster.

Might be Brady's last stop.

Southlake
Moores offense was outstanding at Dallas. Let's see how good Dallases offense is without him next year and how good Dak is without him. Even when Dak was hurt he did a good job. And let's see how good Justin Herbert and the Chargers are with him.

Count on it.

Cowboys issues are the same as they've been in the last 25 years: poor ownership when the owner decides he's also the General Manager. No other football team is run in this manner. It's the Jerry Jones ego show.
Macarthur
Southlake said:

Moores offense was outstanding at Dallas. Let's see how good Dallases offense is without him next year and how good Dak is without him. Even when Dak was hurt he did a good job. And let's see how good Justin Herbert and the Chargers are with him.

Count on it.

Cowboys issues are the same as they've been in the last 25 years: poor ownership when the owner decides he's also the General Manager. No other football team is run in this manner. It's the Jerry Jones ego show.

Their offense was great, at times. That's been the problem though. They struggle in the post season and at times in the red zone.
Southlake
Moore didn't throw all those interceptions. In a league where possessions are paramount, Dak lead the league with 15 interceptions in 12 games; 2 in the playoffs ( in the same game )

Someone needs to get Daks head on straight and figure out what's going on. He sounds great in interviews and is very likable, but I personally think he has emotional issues / personal issues.
Tksymm7
AG
I don't think getting rid of Kellen Moore means that he was a bad OC or that he was to blame for Daks INTs this past year. Everyone can probably see and agree that Dak through ~8-10 egregious interceptions that were on him, and he NEEDS to fix that. But, I do think Kellen Moore never really understood Daks strengths and weaknesses, and he was trying to do things at times that Dak just can't; like dropping back to throw 35+ times a game or having him make really hard intermediate to long throws in tight coverage. Kellen Moore also never got Dak moving enough or utilized him in the run game, or ran the ball enough, period. That is why I think Kellen Moore is gone, and the fact that Jerry is giving Mike McCarthy the keys so he can either extend him for success or fire him.
Macarthur
There's plenty of film guys out there on Twitter that showed on a pretty regular basis that there were scheme problems with what Moore was doing w Dak. I'm not absolving Dak of his part but it's never just a QB or OC.

I think Moore is pretty good and will do well with Herbert, but it's also true that Dak needs a new voice. With Moore, he's essentially been in a Garrett/Moore system his entire career and it's become clear he's leveled off and possibly regressed a bit.
PatAg
AG

This is a reply to Bob's Athletic article, which is a good read.
Southlake
And, after Daks injury, he's been very timid about running to the point where he's no longer a threat and is ignored in RPOs and on roll outs. He also can't hit that intermediate sideline pass in tight coverage on a rope.

He has degraded mentally and physically.

Maybe this off season he gets his mind and body back?

Maybe he gets a full time threat out if the backfield? ( Goodbye Zeke )

Maybe he gets a trusted primary target to go along with CD? ( Really think Jerry and Steve will pay big bucks for a FA? Nope)

How about a TE that's really a threat?

Tksymm7
AG
I think this is pretty much spot on. Many believe that Moore's a good play designer, but it's the execution of those plays with our personal that was missing, and like I said above, I just don't think he understood Dak and the offensive personnel's strengths and weaknesses. Not absolving Dak from needing to be better, because if he doesn't get better or back to his career standard then he is 100% gone.
jr15aggie
AG
Forget not knowing his QB... it took Moore 2.5 years to figure out CD. Anybody who watched college film saw an elite receiver when he'd catch the ball on the move. Kellen spent way too much time throwing him screens, come back routes, etc.

To me it all feels like a guy that was pushed into the OC role a bit too soon. When you get overwhelmed by the big picture you lose sight of the little/simple tbings.
jtstanley4621
AG
Despite the numbers I never once felt like Moore was maxing out our talent schematically. I think he'll help Herbert not be in so much of a box but I think Chargers fans will realize the same as time goes on
Macarthur
I can remember more than once seeing the All22 the next day or two where Moore had his receivers run 4 hitches across the board in a critical 3rd down situations....
Unemployed
AG
jr15aggie said:

Forget not knowing his QB... it took Moore 2.5 years to figure out CD. Anybody who watched college film saw an elite receiver when he'd catch the ball on the move. Kellen spent way too much time throwing him screens, come back routes, etc.

To me it all feels like a guy that was pushed into the OC role a bit too soon. When you get overwhelmed by the big picture you lose sight of the little/simple tbings.
I think Moore is a good OC that will get better with more coaching experience. Jerry paid him good money to learn how to be an OC while on the job and the Chargers will benefit.
Macarthur
Interesting look at early top 50...

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-s-top-50-2023-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-1-0?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cfb

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.