*******Official Cowboys Offseason 2023*******

122,235 Views | 1943 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Vince Blake
Woods Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Skip Bayless said exactly that on his podcast. Take him for whatever you will, but he was right on that.

Agree to disagree. It's a contested topic and I don't know how either side would prove their case.
Grapesoda2525
How likely do you guys think Philly drafts Bijan?

I'd like to see us get either bijan or Gibbs since all we have at the position is a bange up pollard.
Tksymm7
AG
I think very small. Philly is too smart and too well run to invest in a position that is as replaceable as RB, at #10. They are also getting very old at some key positions, so I would not be surprised if they take a young guy at a position that they are aging or are already old.
jr15aggie
AG
At the end of the day, I want a day 1 immediate impact player with our 1st pick... whether that be at pick 26 or a little farther back in a trade down scenario. Here are my names of most likely available top prospects at "iffy" positions on our roster:

Gibbs - RB, Bama

Mayer - TE, ND
Washington - TE, Georgia

Torrence - OG, Florida
Avila - OG, TCU
John Michael Smitz - C/OG, Minnesota
Darnell Wright - OT/OG, TN

Calijah Kancey - DT, Pitt

Nobody - LB

I really feel like one of the names above will be a Cowboy on Thursday Night (or Friday if we trade back into the early 2nd round which I would probably love!)
Macarthur
Woods Ag said:

Skip Bayless said exactly that on his podcast. Take him for whatever you will, but he was right on that.

Agree to disagree. It's a contested topic and I don't know how either side would prove their case.

Skip is a complete ass and a shock jock regardless of his opinion on Zeke.

Zeke ranks 20th all time yards from scrimmage per game in league history.

In his first four years, he averaged just over 125 yards per game from scrimmage which would put him 2nd behind Jim Brown. Now, longevity is certainly a thing and zeke has fallen off, but I still argue prime Zeke was damn good. His first four years were pretty dang good.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/highest-scrimmage-yards-per-game-average-career-nfl-player
jr15aggie
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

How likely do you guys think Philly drafts Bijan?

I'd like to see us get either bijan or Gibbs since all we have at the position is a bange up pollard.

There are a ton of Philly fans drooling over Bijan at #10. But I'm pretty sure Philly lost a CB and other defensive players this offseason... I think the consensus is they will go hard after defense early in the draft.

And I 100% agree our RB spot is more vulnerable than people realize. No idea how Pollard will bounce back and the guy we signed is NFL average at best.

I think the Cowboys would run Bijan's name to the podium at 26... most likely he would be far and away the best player on their board if he was there. I personally like Gibbs just as much (if not a smidge more) than Bijan so it's a possibility as well. Part of me thinks "no way" on Gibbs because I'm not hearing his name enough from Dallas... but they were hella quiet on Tyler Smith too, right up to the point where they drafted him.

I friggin love the draft! Can't wait to see how it plays out!

Woods Ag
AG
the WHOLE offense was geared around him running because of Dak. The OLine was STACKED

His rookie year was legit awesome but he also had like 30 more carries than anyone else. His yards/attempt was 10th? His yards after contact was 10th?

Credit to him for being healthy to put up those numbers, and he is talented. I am not taking that away from him. I just don't like him. I apologized after the first year because I thought I was wrong, but then Zeke showed himself and he's been a cancer ever since.

Hindsight is what it is, but i would have taken Henry over Zeke in 2016. Still not at #4

JR15, I agree with you. Bijan there at 26 and they won't be able to hold Jerrah back from running to the podium himself. He thinks we're 1 piece away from a super bowl every damn yaer and can't stay away from an offensive superstar. We probably were in 2016 if Romo were healthy... If Romo is healthy all year in 2016 we probably win the super bowl and then I have a completely different take on Zeke..
Woods Ag
AG
I may be in the the mountains of northern arkansas backpacking on Thursday for my 10th anniversary, but I'll be checking as soon as I get reception.

Here's my PFF Draft:
1. Mayer
2. Luke Wypler
3. Tank Bigsby
4. Eli Ricks
5. Ventrell Miller
6. Mohamoud Diabate
7. Jacob Slade
Big_Time_Timmy_Jim
I hadn't done a mock in a while and did a couple today. All had Tyree Wilson dropping to early 20s and one he was available at 26
jr15aggie
AG
Rogers is a Jet. Cowboys need to draft as if this year & next year are the go for it years. Get guys that will help us NOW. Philly and SF are the only teams that should be able to compete with the Cowboys roster.

Also brings into question... how many QBs will get drafted before the Cowboys pick? 3 for sure... a lot of people figure 4... and there are more and more each day that think 5 (Hooker's name coming into the conversation).

I say load up on QBs and let the other players fall!
Tksymm7
AG
I see 3, possibly 4. As we have near the draft, I think the QB market has really cooled, with teams recognizing how much work Richardson will be and how unpredictable Levis is. Additionally, teams seem to be moving off of Stroud pretty quickly for whatever reason (I don't believe the low knowledge score is the main reason, as teams have likely known about this for a while). I really like Hooker, but he's 25 going on 26, with a huge knee injury, and wasn't a crazy athlete before the injury.
Grapesoda2525
I hope I'm proven wrong for saying it someday if it happens, but I would be underwhelmed if we spent our #1 pick on a tight end.

That tight end would need to be freaking Jason witten or Tony Gonzalez good and not Marcellus Bennett good.
jr15aggie
AG
You aren't wrong about the value of TE in round 1 nor are the others talking about RB. But the reality is I don't think there will be a WR at 26 that will drastically help next year's team. But I feel pretty confident that Gibbs or Mayer both make our offense better day 1.

Nothing wrong going oline other than the fact we just used last years #1 here. Ideally we can find a guy in the 2nd to plug at LG.
Macarthur
I will say, regarding TE, Sturm is really high on Kincaid and thinks he would really give this offense a huge difference maker in the passing game to go along w the WR group.
Ag Natural
AG
I wouldn't hate TE at all. This is a great class. So getting one you like at 26 would be fine.
Tksymm7
AG
I personally would take Musgrove or Washington (preferably Washington in round 2) if I was going to take a TE. Our TE room doesn't need another all around solid TE, we already have that in Ferguson. I want someone with a truly special skill set and that is Washington for me. He's an elite blocker with so much untapped potential as a pass catcher.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Ag Natural said:

I wouldn't hate TE at all. This is a great class. So getting one you like at 26 would be fine.

The issue is the least athletic TE of the bunch is likely to be the first one taken. Of the other 5 guys likely to be taken in the top 80-90 picks, ALL are more athletic. And athleticism at that position is the best indicator of who will be an elite NFL TE in the modern game, and if I'm picking a TE at 26 I need to expect him to eventually be a top 3 or so player at the position at his peak. Otherwise it's just not a high value selection.

Because of this I think you have to wait until round 2. There are guys more likely to be elite players at the position and they will still be available.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Grapesoda2525
It's interesting because I think our "needs" are RB, TE, DT, and WR. Am I right?

A lot of those positions aren't taken in the first half of the draft anyway with the exception of WR.

I feel like we gotta get bijan or Gibbs tho. Just my opinion.
jr15aggie
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

I feel like we gotta get bijan or Gibbs tho. Just my opinion.

Truth, this man speaks the truth!!!

With regards to WR it is a slight need, but not one I'd address at 26. It's like CB... even if you took a guy #1 he's not guaranteed to crack the top 3 next year. It's more of a luxury/future pick... I'm looking for the immediate impact guy. For me that's either a plug and play LG or Gibbs/Bijan. TE would be #3 on my list for instant impact.
Vince Blake
All onboard for Gibbs. I think he'll get used as an offensive Swiss Army Knife like Kamara.

My gut feeling is they take Mayer or guard, especially if Darnell Wright is therethough starting to see Wright go much higher in the mocks.
TyHolden
AG
RBs are temporary. OLs are long-term investments.
gigem1223
Tksymm7 said:

I personally would take Musgrove or Washington (preferably Washington in round 2) if I was going to take a TE. Our TE room doesn't need another all around solid TE, we already have that in Ferguson. I want someone with a truly special skill set and that is Washington for me. He's an elite blocker with so much untapped potential as a pass catcher.

Washington is Marty B 2.0. I would be perfectly fine with that pick in the 2nd.
Tksymm7
AG
Long time no see haha. I just like swinging for the fences in early rounds and I think he fits that bill but has his head screwed on better than Marty B ever did. Give me guys that have as high a ceiling as possible.

That being said, what do we think about still taking a QB in the middle rounds as long as we feel like we got really good early contributors in rounds 1 and 2? I would still do it personally because I think we need to take the QB and the backup QB spot more seriously than 7th rounders.
gigem1223
Yea I guess I should've clarified without the headaches*. Skill sets are almost identical though.

I'd be fine taking a flyer in a QB in the mid rounds if the value is there. With Rush as backup I don't think
It's absolutely necessary though.
Macarthur
Most seem to think Kincaid is the best of the "speedy/athletic" type TEs.
jr15aggie
AG
Good discussion everyone... gonna be a fun few days!
fatherof4
I'm curious as to why Z. Kuntz isn't getting more discussion. His numbers are crazy good.
Macarthur
I've seen some real positive buzz. Physical freak.
Tksymm7
AG
I've seen Darnell Wright in our range of picks as well. Much like Kuntz, a physical specimen I would sign tomorrow.
jr15aggie
AG
Ugh, Wednesday. It's NOT draft day. I'll have to work late because I plan on taking off early on Draft Day so that I have time for my annual watching of Draft Day on Draft Day before the Draft.

See my issue.... it's very merry un-draft Day for me!
jteagle
AG
I know this, the more I look at Mock Drafts from various outlets, the more I believe that most of these sports writers have no clue what is really going on. Most of the posters on this thread have more knowledge than half of these guys who get paid for it.
Woods Ag
AG
More on board with Bijan this morning. Mayer or Bijan please

But I swear if he's a disappointment I hold all of you sobs accountable to my continued misery with the cowboys!

As long as they don't do a Taco in front of Watt move I'll be happy tbh. If that **** ever happens again I am done with the cowboys for good.
GCP12
AG
I'd be pretty surprised if Bijan fell to 26 at this point. Gibbs might even be gone before the Cowboys pick.
Tksymm7
AG
I agree that Bijan will be gone by 26. I think we're going to see a serious run of skill position players (like usual) between 10 and 25, and Bijan is likely the No. 1 skill position player in this class. I think Gibbs will be available at the back end of the first early second. I just don't see teams spending a first round pick on an RB unless they are generational or truly all-around talents.
jr15aggie
AG
GCP12 said:

I'd be pretty surprised if Bijan fell to 26 at this point. Gibbs might even be gone before the Cowboys pick.

Gibbs would shock me, but then again both Guards being gone last year was not supposed to happen either.

But I'm with you, Bijan will be gone. There just isn't enough top end talent in this draft for 25 prior picks to pass on him.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.