*******Official Cowboys Offseason 2023*******

122,105 Views | 1943 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Vince Blake
Macarthur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Speaking only for myself, my main point on Philly is that I think they have been overpraised.

They have been good and shrewd, but also had some luck. They have been lauded for their drafting wizardry but they got almost no contribution from those rookies from last year. Now, they may break out this year, but the talking heads have talked about their drafts as if they were the greatest thing, but up to this point, they've kinda drafted big name guys from big time programs that got a ton of exposure, but hasn't really translated on the field, yet.

In fact, let's just go back and look at their last 4 drafts top 3 picks:

2020 - Reagor, Hurts, Daveon Taylor

Hurts is a big hit, but the other two have been busts.

2021 - D. Smith, Dickerson, Milton Williams

Smith and Dickerson both are very nice picks.

2022 - Jordan Davis, Jurgens, N. Dean

Jordan Davis did very little but be a rotational guy with a grand total of 8 tackles. Jurgens didn't play and Dean had a total 9 solo tackles.

Their 23 draft looks great on paper, but I will say that there were multiple teams that took Carter completely off their board, if you believe the reports. He was widely held to be the #1 football player in the draft and falls to 10 with several team having glaring needs at DT. He may be great, but has some bust potential.

and some of the same stuff can be said about Nolan Smith. Major red flags.

They have taken som high risk high reward type guys and it may pay off in the long run.

They also benefitted from one of the easiest playoff paths I think I've seen in a long time.

Look, they had a great team and their front office has done some very shrewd deals, but IMO, the hype that they get doesn't seem to match what I see on the field.

And of course, I'm a Cowboys fan so I'm clearly bias but I'm also coming at this from the angle that the Cowboys rarely seem to get the credit they deserve for legitimately being one of the best drafting teams in the whole league the last decade or so.
Ag Natural
AG
Macarthur said:

Speaking only for myself, my main point on Philly is that I think they have been overpraised.

They have been good and shrewd, but also had some luck. They have been lauded for their drafting wizardry but they got almost no contribution from those rookies from last year. Now, they may break out this year, but the talking heads have talked about their drafts as if they were the greatest thing, but up to this point, they've kinda drafted big name guys from big time programs that got a ton of exposure, but hasn't really translated on the field, yet.

In fact, let's just go back and look at their last 4 drafts top 3 picks:

2020 - Reagor, Hurts, Daveon Taylor

Hurts is a big hit, but the other two have been busts.

2021 - D. Smith, Dickerson, Milton Williams

Smith and Dickerson both are very nice picks.

2022 - Jordan Davis, Jurgens, N. Dean

Jordan Davis did very little but be a rotational guy with a grand total of 8 tackles. Jurgens didn't play and Dean had a total 9 solo tackles.

Their 23 draft looks great on paper, but I will say that there were multiple teams that took Carter completely off their board, if you believe the reports. He was widely held to be the #1 football player in the draft and falls to 10 with several team having glaring needs at DT. He may be great, but has some bust potential.

and some of the same stuff can be said about Nolan Smith. Major red flags.

They have taken som high risk high reward type guys and it may pay off in the long run.

They also benefitted from one of the easiest playoff paths I think I've seen in a long time.

Look, they had a great team and their front office has done some very shrewd deals, but IMO, the hype that they get doesn't seem to match what I see on the field.

And of course, I'm a Cowboys fan so I'm clearly bias but I'm also coming at this from the angle that the Cowboys rarely seem to get the credit they deserve for legitimately being one of the best drafting teams in the whole league the last decade or so.
This is where my head is. They are a very good team and were able to physically over power most of the teams on their schedule last season. The truth is they had a toilet paper schedule. Their defense, in particular, was hyped up big time mainly because they led the league in sacks. But against decent offenses they really got torched. Luckily for them, they only played 2 decent offenses from December on (Dallas and KC).

They are getting tons of love for the offseason additions, especially the draft picks. Nobody says a peep about losing Hargraves and one of their starting safeties. Meanwhile, Dallas addressed their largest weakness pretty substantially.
Macarthur
Agree...few people are talking about the guys they've lost.

And they have put their chips out on the table for a two or three year window with Hurts contract. If they don't get it done in the next two years or so, they have $70 and $80 million cap hits coming after year 3 of that deal.
jr15aggie
AG
Yup. And the same can be said about the Cowboys. We've kicked the can down the road on multiple contracts (we even restructured Gallups deal meaning we are pretty much stuck with him).

We've got this year and maybe next year before our Cap (S***) hits the fan.
Southlake
Macarthur said:

Geez, all they did was win the NFC, go to the Superbowl and lose to the best team in football in the last 5 years.
Ag Natural
AG
Southlake said:

Macarthur said:

Geez, all they did was win the NFC, go to the Superbowl and lose to the best team in football in the last 5 years.

The point was the road the SB was lucky as hell. Name one good team they beat all season who had their starting QB.

You can't.
birdman
Let's see how the Eagles do with first place schedule
Macarthur
Southlake said:

Macarthur said:

As I said before, it was the easiest road through the NFC I can't remember in recent memory.
Southlake
No easy games in the NFL anymore. Geez, the Colts beat the Chiefs last year.

And, for whatever reason you like or don't like, the Eagles are an excellent team. My point is the cowboys need to pick it up to hold serve.

EDIT: I said Lions. I meant to say Colts.
Señor Chang
AG
Southlake said:

No easy games in the NFL anymore. Geez, the Lions beat the Chiefs last year.

And, for whatever reason you like or don't like, the Eagles are an excellent team. My point is the cowboys need to pick it up to hold serve.
The Lions never played the Chiefs last year.
jr15aggie
AG
Señor Chang said:

Southlake said:

TyHolden
AG
Señor Chang said:

Southlake said:

He's probably thinking about the Colts. Colts/Lions, potato/potata, tomato/tamata....

The Lions were not a bad team last season. The Colts won 4 games.
ramblin_ag02
AG
The Eagles had the easiest road to the Super Bowl that I can remember in the past 30+ years of watching football. Regular season SOS was low, but even that was overrated. They often got to play the best teams on their schedule at their lowest ebbs due to injuries, like the Cowboys the first time. Then they get the hapless Giants and the 49ers playing their waterboy at QB in the playoffs. All that said, they actually went and won the games they were supposed to win. That's saying something in the NFL and is the mark of a good team. I can't remember the last time the Cowboys won all the games they should have won in a season. I just don't see a powerhouse or juggernaut when I look at the Eagles. They're good and lucky, and nothing wrong with either of those things
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Grapesoda2525
Southlake said:

Eagles had the luckiest season I've ever seen as a football fan last year. It seemed like every team they played was struggling with some major problem or issue when the eagles played them, is this the Eagles or schedule makers fault? No…. You play to win and beat the other team on the field, but the NFC championship last year kind of sums up phillys season. The 49ers had a QB who couldn't throw a forward pass. Your local high school defensive coordinator could've came up with a game plan to stop those guys at that point.
TyHolden
AG
The Eagles have been won the NFC twice in the last 6 years. I was in college the last time the Cowboys won the NFC. I hate them as well but let's not overdo it....
Southlake
Señor Chang said:

Southlake said:

You are correct. My bad. I meant the Colts.
TyHolden
AG

and yes, the comments are what you would expect...
gigem1223
Denver released McManus today. Got get him Jerruh!
jr15aggie
AG
gigem1223 said:

Denver released McManus today. Got get him Jerruh!

Can he make extra points!?!

EDIT: Looks like the Jags got him.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Hopkins just released by AZ.
TyHolden
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

Hopkins just released by AZ.
so now we can sign him???
ramblin_ag02
AG
Does he have to clear waivers?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TyHolden
AG
Tksymm7
AG
Id put significant money on him NOT coming to Dallas.
Woods Ag
AG
And we wasted our money on Brandon fuggin Cooks! FML!
jr15aggie
AG
I'm not saying adding Hopkins would be bad, but the whole theory of loading up a team with a bunch of bad ass WRs really doesn't make your team unstoppable. There is only 1 football that can be thrown to 1 guy on any given play. Other teams have tried and results are usually "meh".

In Hindsight, yeah, I'd probably rather have D-Hop instead of trading a 5th rounder for Cooks, but the deal was done... no way we could have known for sure that AZ was going to cut him this late in the game.
Ag Natural
AG
jr15aggie said:

I'm not saying adding Hopkins would be bad, but the whole theory of loading up a team with a bunch of bad ass WRs really doesn't make your team unstoppable. There is only 1 football that can be thrown to 1 guy on any given play. Other teams have tried and results are usually "meh".

In Hindsight, yeah, I'd probably rather have D-Hop instead of trading a 5th rounder for Cooks, but the deal was done... no way we could have known for sure that AZ was going to cut him this late in the game.
yeah and Cooks is much cheaper. I think Houston ate a good portion of his salary. AZ must be tanking this season.
98Ag99Grad
AG
I'd be surprised if he signed but JJ loves his star players so you never know.
jr15aggie
AG
Yes, that is also very true. It was a much better deal cap wise and overall $ wise.

I know a lot of us think of NFL money as monopoly money, but the reality is, Houston had to pay his entire signing bonus back when the contract was signed and Dallas had to pay $0 up front for Cooks. If you are Jerry Jones, that's a huge deal... take that guy that another team already paid for!
jr15aggie
AG
Hearing that Kelvin Joseph has been working out with the safeties. Worth a shot I suppose.
Lake08
Dallas is and will always be a Vegas favorite. Why? Because there will always be a bunch of brain dead's that bet on Dallas for everything.
bonfarr
AG
I read a story earlier in the week that listed Dallas as a possibility to land Dalvin Cook. The Vikings are supposedly interested in unloading him and speculation is he could be had for a 4th rounder next year and a 5th the following. He has 3 years left at $14+MM per I think but his production has been steady unlike Zeke's.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
Macarthur
I would not do that deal. Too much money and he's started to decline a bit. Not as steep as Zeke but they've got to get away from big investments in the RB position.
bonfarr
AG
Macarthur said:

I would not do that deal. Too much money and he's started to decline a bit. Not as steep as Zeke but they've got to get away from big investments in the RB position.

I agree to a large extent but the question is going to be what is the plan with Pollard? If he has a good year and rushes for 1200 with another 300 or so in receiving he is going to command a big extension. If we don't give it to him and he walks what is the plan?
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
Macarthur
Draft someone next year and you've still got Vaughn and Malik Davis

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.