*******Official Cowboys Offseason 2023*******

122,137 Views | 1943 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Vince Blake
Woods Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A disaster?

You realize he was drafted as an off-ball linebacker - first in his class. After year 1 he was considered 1 of the best off-ball linebackers in the game on top of being a terror rushing hte passer. Mazi Smith will help keep him clean to make plays, but he is definitely not a disaster off the ball.
Ag Natural
AG
Woods Ag said:

A disaster?

You realize he was drafted as an off-ball linebacker - first in his class. After year 1 he was considered 1 of the best off-ball linebackers in the game on top of being a terror rushing hte passer. Mazi Smith will help keep him clean to make plays, but he is definitely not a disaster off the ball.
Hey this isn't any sort of knock on Micah. He has not played the traditional linebacker position very much. He only played two years at Penn State and his breakout moment was the bowl game which was the last of his college career. Then he sat out the covid year. I'm telling you that offenses beg the Cowboys to drop him off the line of scrimmage. He still makes plays because he so damn athletic but he's not a good linebacker right now. Meanwhile, he's an elite pass rushing DE. Possibly the best in the league. Playing him any other way is a bad allocation of resources.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Lol no way Prescott is just a game manager. That is ludicrous. He's not great by any means, but he's good imo. Good enough to win a title if he's got a good defense, good OL, good running game, and good WRs. So he def cannot carry a team imo, but he's more than capable.
Macarthur
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Lol no way Prescott is just a game manager. That is ludicrous. He's not great by any means, but he's good imo. Good enough to win a title if he's got a good defense, good OL, good running game, and good WRs. So he def cannot carry a teak imo, but he's more than capable.

I would agree and also add to your comment about "carrying a team". There's generally only about 2 or 3 of those guys in the league at any given time so that shouldn't be viewed as some major slight on Dak.
Woods Ag
AG
That's kind of what a game manager is, isn't it?

With a good defense, and great offensive talent with a good oline he can manage the game and distribute the ball to his playmakers, but if you rely on him to go make plays too much we're going to fail. He's not throwing guys open when the opposing defense has the clamps on us.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Woods Ag said:

That's kind of what a game manager is, isn't it?

With a good defense, and great offensive talent with a good oline he can manage the game and distribute the ball to his playmakers, but if you rely on him to go make plays too much we're going to fail. He's not throwing guys open when the opposing defense has the clamps on us.

When I think game manager I think Dilfer, Brad Johnson, those type guys.
Macarthur
Agree. Game managers are not guys you typically think of that can go off for 300+ yards and 3+ TDs. Guys like dilfer and Brad Johnson just didn't have that in their bag. Dak does.
Woods Ag
AG
They game is different now. Brad Johnson, Dilfer played behind teams that ran the ball 40 times a game. That isn't how the game is played anymore. In place of those extra runs everyone throws swing passes, screens, etc.
Txhuntr
AG
Agree, every starter in the league including cousins and tannehill is capable of going for 300+ with 3 td's any given week. Johnson and Dilfer could've too if they aired it out 40+ times a game
jr15aggie
AG
Back to Micah... this is only good news. It's good for the Cowboys and it's very good for him because he and his agent will not be asking for top LB money when the time comes. Just be ready to make him the highest paid defensive player ever... it's happening.

The other consideration is he plays for Dan Quinn. I still picture him moving quite a bit. The certainly want him rushing the passer from multiple spots. I don't see this limiting his ability to play anywhere in the front 7.
jr15aggie
AG
I'll also add, Micah is a true professional. My perception is there is a distinction between how he's doing it and how Zeke did it. I have no doubt Zeke put in the work when it was time to work... but in his free time he did not take care of his body and it showed in how quickly he declined.

Micah appears to be business all the time... they guy will play 10-15 years. I hope he's wearing a Star the whole time!
Macarthur
Txhuntr said:

Agree, every starter in the league including cousins and tannehill is capable of going for 300+ with 3 td's any given week. Johnson and Dilfer could've too if they aired it out 40+ times a game
agree that the game has changed some but I disagree that Johnson and dilfer could do what Dak does.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I think Dak falls into the huge categories of QBs you want making 20-30 high quality throws per game. He hasn't shown that he can be a gunslinger and get you 40-50 good throws per game. His skillset just doesn't scale up that much. Most QBs don't. Dak's QB stats are great up to about 30 attempts per game. The split is pretty dramatic for games above that. For comparison, Jalen Hurts had 20-30 attempts per game all year long. Dak has been asked to carry the whole load and he just isn't that guy.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Woods Ag
AG
So, when the time comes, are we starting a 2023 in-season thread to watch/comment ont he games together? Try to keep it a bit more mature than the Aggie game threads that get cluttered with people whining about every play.
Ag Natural
AG
Woods Ag said:

So, when the time comes, are we starting a 2023 in-season thread to watch/comment ont he games together? Try to keep it a bit more mature than the Aggie game threads that get cluttered with people whining about every play.
Good luck with that.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Woods Ag said:

Oh man that was a good one. Mature and grown men watching football do not go together. First pick Dak throws he immediately is the worst QB ever and we suck. That's just the way it is.
TyHolden
AG
Dak has to last 2-3 years. We have no alternative right now. We've done nothing in the draft for 3-4 years in finding his replacement. Coop is a nice change of pace but he's not gonna light it up. The 49ers and Eagles are where they are for a reason. Hell, even the Cardinals drafted a decent qb and they just signed Slider to a long-term contract. Remember when the Packers drafted Aaron Rogers in the first round and many thought they wasted a pick? I feel like we're heading back to the Danny White, Gary Hogebaum, Steve Pelluer days....
Woods Ag
AG
I know. I'll be cussing him as much as anyone.. the first triple pat, stare down the receiver, lob pass.. I'll have to remove myself from TexAgs
jr15aggie
AG
Woods Ag said:

We will have a season thread and we will usually have a specific game thread every week too.

It's nice because after a win both threads will be active... it's essentially two simultaneous Cowboy's circle jerk victory parties!

After a loss, it's 2 threads full of Dak haters and Ref haters yelling at each other... both sides are desperate that everyone knows why we lost the game.

And in case you are wondering, I'll be on the Ref haters side. Those *******s haven't called holding against the other team in over 6 years!
EllisCoAg
AG
feel like we're heading back to the Danny White …days....

I'll take that
Woods Ag
AG
Haha, we're opposite on everything.

I hardly ever comment on the refs. They call what they call pretty evenly overall. I can be a conspiracy theorist on occasion but it's never about refs lol
Vince Blake
The one with Stephen A Smith last year was better. But still I do like this trend of teams putting out silly videos to announce their schedules.
Southlake
Geez, just saw the cowboys schedule. Gonna be tough. Just can't get away from Rodgers…
Rex Racer
AG
SIX primetime games. Wow.
TyHolden
AG
Southlake said:

Geez, just saw the cowboys schedule. Gonna be tough. Just can't get away from Rodgers…
Feels like 10-6, 9-7 year and one-and-done in the playoffs.
Woods Ag
AG
Half of the teams we expect to be good will have injuries, upset players, chemistry issues, or just flat out implode.

Let's hope the cowboys aren't one of them.
TyHolden
AG
I could see Jerrah taking this guy next draft if Dak gets hurt again....

Southlake
TyHolden said:

So, you think we will get a top 5 pick??
TyHolden
AG
Southlake said:

TyHolden said:

So, you think we will get a top 5 pick??
He'll be anywhere from 10-30 probably if he has a good year.
LincolnBorglum79
AG
That guy will be the next Brock Purdey. Mr Irrelevant. Pick 260 in the 2024 NFL draft.
Ag Natural
AG

Interesting watch. Greg Cossell breaking down the DT class in this years draft. This was an Eagles based podcast from a couple weeks before the draft. Basically, Cossell has no idea why Mazi isn't projected to be picked in the top 10. He's a physical freak.
BMX Bandit
Finished analyzing the schedule and crunching the numbers. Philly always tough place and @BUF @MIA not ideal. So I'll go with:

15-2.
An L of an Ag
AG
I can remember when a record of 15-2 meant you just won the Super Bowl.
Ag Natural
AG
Philly will be over rated because they had a great year on the weakest schedule imaginable. They also had everyone's favorite draft. Nobody mentions the guys they lost. Philly has the hardest schedule based on last years winning %s. Dallas the 4th or 5th hardest. I could definitely see Dallas having a great season and winning the division. They need that 1 seed.
Southlake
I just don't see the Phill bashing on this BB. Yeah, their fans are a bunch of creeps, but their program has been laser focused on winning and their owner isn't afraid to put up the cash and take risk. I'd actually like to see Dallas be more aggressive in their team building.

Philly is probably going back to the SB and has the chops to win 15 games.

Your turn, Jerry.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.