*******Official Cowboys Offseason 2023*******

122,344 Views | 1943 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Vince Blake
Macarthur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yeah, it's a tough call. With Steele, he is a very good run blocker but hasn't graded out well in pass pro. Tyron is still better than him, I think, when both are taken into consideration.

I also think we need to remember the Gallup situation. Steele may not be 100% by the start of the season.
Ag Natural
AG
The reports right now are that Steele is ahead of schedule in rehab. He's a worker. They may be planning to play Smith and Smith on the left side just like last year started. That is an elite run blocking tandem. I do think they will try to reinforce the guard rotation in the draft, but they wouldn't want to count on a rookie starting again.
jr15aggie
AG
The way I look at it... if you are trying to put the 5 best O-lineman on the field right now (injuries aside), then it's Smith, Smith, Biadasz, Martin, Steele.

Based on what they've done in free agency, I'm definitely leaning OG with our 1st pick (assuming this guy will come in and start immediately). If they go that route we got Tyler, Rookie, Biadasz, Martin, Steel/Tyron. I'll definitely take.

The only thing I might like better is there are 1 or 2 centers that can play guard in this draft. If we could get one of those guys that would give us a ton of flexibility now and in the future considering this is Biadasz's contract year. If we could get that with our 2nd pick and get a premium weapon / playmaker in the 1st that would be great!
jr15aggie
AG
Here is a good/fun mock draft in the sense that it's very likely Days 1 & 2 of the draft will look similar to this. OG in the 1st and then a DT and TE in the 2nd and 3rd that none of us are really talking about.

It's not flashy as the big name RBs, WRs, etc are nowhere to be found... it would likely draw a lot of criticism from us as well. But at the end of the day it would be a very typical and good Cowboys draft if all 3 guys come in and contribute right away.

Macarthur
That would be very "not" flashy but would be very solid. I would no issue there.
jr15aggie
AG
I wonder if the Cowboys would take Jalin Hyatt at 26? I wouldn't even be surprised if he's already gone. It's sorta rare that you hear his name in 1st round mocks, but I think he could easily sneak into the 1st round and even into the top 20 ahead of some of the other WR names.

But it sorta feels like the Cowboys WR room (same situation at CB) is a bit crowded to take a guy in the 1st. Hard to draft a guy #1 when it might be challenging for him to break into the top 3 at his position.
Vince Blake
jr15aggie said:

Here is a good/fun mock draft in the sense that it's very likely Days 1 & 2 of the draft will look similar to this. OG in the 1st and then a DT and TE in the 2nd and 3rd that none of us are really talking about.

It's not flashy as the big name RBs, WRs, etc are nowhere to be found... it would likely draw a lot of criticism from us as well. But at the end of the day it would be a very typical and good Cowboys draft if all 3 guys come in and contribute right away.

Going by his names available for each round think I would go:
Mayer
Avila
Bigsby
Vinny
That would be a very solid first 2 rounds for the Cowboys. I would take that.
Macarthur
This is an interesting stat as it relates to Dak.

Lots of QBs on here worse than Dak that some on this thread think are much better than Dak. And last year was one of Dak's 'down' years.

Macarthur
This is pretty much the antidote to those that say Dak's stats are empty.
Vince Blake
I had to lookup what failed completion rate is. Never heard of that one.

Football Outsiders describes a failed completion as any completed pass that fails to gain 45% of needed yards on first down, 60% on second down, or 100% on third or fourth down.
Macarthur
Basically, there's a couple of things I take from that.

First, just looking at the actual completion percentage can be a bit deceiving. I mean if you miss on 3rd and 7 or make a 2 yard completion and it's 4th and 5 or 4th and 7, and you end up punting, that play was ultimately meaningless except for the stats.

Second, it says to me that Dak is not a dump off guy. That means there's going to be a few more balls put into risky situations.
Vince Blake
Hankins coming back on a 1yr deal.
jr15aggie
AG
Macarthur said:

This is pretty much the antidote to those that say Dak's stats are empty.

Dak came in as a rookie and performed so well that Romo not only didn't get his job back, but retired and took a booth job.

Forgive me for thinking that Dak is more than good enough to get the job done with a proper team around him!
Ag Natural
AG
Dak is plenty good. He's accurate and he knows how to read defenses. He has had tough days two years in a row against the best defense in the league.

Last year on Xmas Eve he had a day against the Eagles that was very similar to the day Mahomes had in the Superbowl.

It's going to take slightly better game planning to get over the hump and Mccarthy knows this. That's why he made the changes he made.
Macarthur
So, apparently this kid went off today at the Pitt pro day. Gotta say, he was not on my radar but this dude has some serious acceleration and is also a good pass catcher out of the backfield.

Tksymm7
AG
Abanikanda is a stud and was one of the best backs in the country this past year. This draft is so loaded at RB it's not funny.
jr15aggie
AG
That dude is legit. I'll add him to my list of RBs that I think will give this offense the burst we need: Bijan, Gibbs, Achane, Abanikanda.

I get that Pollard isn't the 30 carry per game back that Zeke was... but our offense was a different beast when he got a full series of reps last year. I want to draft a RB where the offense doesn't drop off when Pollard is on the sideline.
PooDoo
AG
Compare Philly's GM with ours.
The interview starts around the 1 hour mark.
Talks about his team building strategy… pretty much moneyball

Macarthur
They've been very good but now that they have $50m on the payroll for QB will be interesting to see how they do.
Tksymm7
AG
Their podcast is awesome. So entertaining, raw, funny, etc.
jr15aggie
AG
As much as Gibbs reminds me of Kamara, that Abanikanda kid reminds me of Pollard. They have very similar builds and both have an upright/tall running style. Watching that kid high step out of ankle tackles was deja-vu Pollard territory.

Went back and watched some Pollard Memphis highlights and it's an interesting comparison. Pollard was a little bigger and more physical in college... Izzy's appears to have a bit more acceleration and possibly top end speed than college Tony.

Also worth noting after watching Memphis highlights... I'm so happy to be in the SEC and we don't have to listen to that female color commentator. Call me sexist, but I can't stand her voice. Nails on a chalkboard!!!
PooDoo
AG
Macarthur said:

They've been very good but now that they have $50m on the payroll for QB will be interesting to see how they do.

He's been the GM since 2010. He's got a pretty good record working with the salary cap.
Ag Natural
AG
PooDoo said:

Macarthur said:

He's been the GM since 2010. He's got a pretty good record working with the salary cap.
It will be very interesting to see what kind of deal Hurts gets. I find it hard to believe that a smart GM would give him a monster contract after one good season when prior to the year they 100% were clearly not ready to buy in on him long term. I honestly hope they do give him a big deal mainly because I'm still not sold on him.
Macarthur
PooDoo said:

Macarthur said:

I don't think since 2010, they've had to deal with a QB taking up 25% of their cap.
Macarthur
I really don't think a smart vs not-smart GM has anything to do with it. If you want to sign your top QB to a new deal, the market is what it is unless you want to let him walk and start over.
PooDoo
AG
Macarthur said:

PooDoo said:

Macarthur said:

I don't think since 2010, they've had to deal with a QB taking up 25% of their cap.

He did pretty good getting rid of McNabb and Wentz.
wangus12
AG
Just saw Ronald Jones while walking our dogs. Ankles looked good. Dude is jacked. Wished him luck on the season. Had a Maybach in the driveway.
Macarthur
McNabb's last year was 2009 and Wentz's last year his cap number was 8% of the cap.

Look, I"m not saying the guy is a bum, i"m just saying that paying big for a QB now is a diff game than it was several years ago and it does have an effect on the rest of the team.
Ag Natural
AG
Macarthur said:

I really don't think a smart vs not-smart GM has anything to do with it. If you want to sign your top QB to a new deal, the market is what it is unless you want to let him walk and start over.
Yeah the amount isn't in doubt if they think he is that player. The question is do they do it this offseason? Hurts has one year left on his current deal. Everybody thinks they do it. But do you give him top level numbers after one good year?
Macarthur
I would wait because I'm still not 100% sold on him. He had a top 5 WR corp. The best OL in the game and an outstanding scheme. I still don't think he's a guy that can consistently win passing the ball.
Woods Ag
AG
I don't think they hvae a choice.

If your QB looks the part and acts the part and you hesitate paying him you risk mutiny from your fans and your lockerroom if you piss him off by holding out a contract or let him walk. Check Baltimore right now - their fans are fuggin pissed, their players are asking wtf, etc. Hurts has been billed, and is by all accounts the ultimate team leader - they are completely ****ed into paying him the going rate for a QB.
Macarthur
You're probably right.
Ag Natural
AG
Macarthur said:

You're probably right.

Let's also remember they paid Wentz after his early success. Have they learned their lesson? Or do they think it's fine, do it again.
Big_Time_Timmy_Jim
Lol eagles sign zeke to a 1 year deal at 10.5 mil

Fleeced them bad

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.