*******Official Cowboys Offseason 2023*******

122,127 Views | 1943 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Vince Blake
TyHolden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gary Fing Hogeboom
98Ag99Grad
AG
Don't forget Steve Pelluer.
TyHolden
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

Don't forget Steve Pelluer.
Yeah, I was going to add him as well but figured it would be too much. Those were the dog days of Cowboys football.
Macarthur
I also think Dak will be better off with Moore gone. This is not the first person I've seen saying that Moore's concepts didn't exactly help his QB.

Woods Ag
AG
Very excited to see him gone. I think Dak will be better in McCarthy's hands. Moore didn't do him any favors
jr15aggie
AG
Agreed. I think we all hoped for the best, but none of us felt great when Jerry hired Mike but already had his very young golden boy appointed OC.

And what really sucks is you could see Kellens upside from time to time. And not just through points and stats... but you could tell when the defense was really having to work to keep up with what he was calling. But too often there were games like SF and Wash where the defense had his number early and he had no idea how to adjust out of it.
Woods Ag
AG
He may be great somewhere else where the personnel fits how he wants to call the game, but the Cowboys weren't that.

Dak isn't the QB for him and the offense was built different than what kellen wanted to run.

I'll retract a little bit of my Dak woes bc Kellen. We'll see what McCarthy can do for him, but Dak has to start being decisive and cutting the ball loose on time. He doesn't have a strong arm, so he can't sit back there and quadruple pat the ball. He needs to make a decision and cut it loose.
Macarthur
Woods Ag said:

He may be great somewhere else where the personnel fits how he wants to call the game, but the Cowboys weren't that.

Dak isn't the QB for him and the offense was built different than what kellen wanted to run.

I'll retract a little bit of my Dak woes bc Kellen. We'll see what McCarthy can do for him, but Dak has to start being decisive and cutting the ball loose on time. He doesn't have a strong arm, so he can't sit back there and quadruple pat the ball. He needs to make a decision and cut it loose.

I agree about being decisive, but I also will point out that film clip above that I posted was an all too familiar clip last year. As I mentioned, his WR corp got the least amount of separation of any corp in the entire league. They were dead last. So, it's easy to say just hit your back foot and cut it loose, but if in the back of your head, you know your guy isn't going to get much separation, that split second of hesitation can be costly.

Again, his best 2nd WR option was Gallup coming off an ACL, Noah Brown and TY Hilton that came off the street halfway through the season.
Woods Ag
AG
I know.. those 2 examples make me sick. I wasn't a Kellen fan obviously.

There were a lot of times tho where he had an open guy and he was staring him down patting the ball and I'm screaming at the TV "THROW IT THROW IT! **** THROW IT!" And then he throws it and it's this loopty pass that gets broken up.

Again, I have hope that McCarthy is going to scheme guys open to get him easy completions. Gallup will be fine this comign year I think. He was my favorite WR for the cowboys prior to the injury. Him, Cooks, CD should be great. I wouldn't mind us getting one of these TEs in the 1st, but I heard that Kelce had high praises for Ferguson, so maybe he'll be our answer.
Macarthur
I agree his weapons should be much better this year.

The last thing I will say is, yes, he had some WTF moments, but I think that's what some of the other posters and I are trying to say. Every QB has those moments.
Woods Ag
AG
Yeah but he took the Cowboys to the cleaners for every dollar he could get as if he were Patrick Mahomes.

And then he fell flat on his face bc he didn't have a 2nd WR to bail him out and he's not good enough to elevate the ones we had because we had to pay his ass a ransom.

Did I say "thank god Zeke is gone!" jeez what a disaster he was the past few years. The ESPN article released the other day called him a tough runner... I run tougher than him these days. BLAH

Macarthur
Gallup better have a good retrenching year or we could be looking at a cut next off season....

Tksymm7
AG
My guess is that he's going to get the axe after next season, which makes me think the Cowboys will still be looking at receivers in some capacity.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Woods Ag said:

Here's a list of QBs by tiers (my tiers)... You're telling me he's as consistent as everyone of these except Mahomes?

Tier 1 - Super Heroes
Patrick Mahomes
Joe Burrow

Tier 2 - Lead/Elevate a team
Justin Herbert
Josh Allen
Jalen Hurts
Lamar Jackson

Tier 3 - Serviceable - Can win you a title with a good team.
Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Matthew Stafford

Tier 4 - Potentially Great
Trevor Lawerence
Tua Tagovailoa
Deshaun Watson - All potential at this point (Can he get back to what he was)

Tier 5 - We need an upgrade or development if we want to win.
Jared Goff
Geno Smith
Dak Prescott
Justin Fields
Brock Purdy
Kyler Murray
Kirk Cousins
Daniel Jones
Ryan Tannehill
Derek Carr
Russell Wilson - Maybe he can climb back to seriviceable.

Ahh FML Tier
Kenny Pickett
Andy Dalton
Sam Darnold
Marcus Mariota
Mac Jones
Taylor Heinicke
Matt Ryan
Davis Mills
Zach Wilson

Dak is objectively better than every other QB you put in his tier AND the tier above him except Russell Wilson (the Seattle version) and Deshaun Watson (at his best in Houston, which he may never achieve again). Lawrence will probably clearly surpass Dak very soon. But that's it. And anyone who puts Hurts above Dak simply doesn't understand what they are watching. Philadelphia devoted ALL their resources into a desperate attempt to hide his glaring weaknesses. If you put Hurts on the New York Giants last year he's a fringe starter going into next season. His advanced passing metrics under pressure and from the pocket are bottom fourth and bottom half of the league respectively.

Hell, by adjusted metrics there's really no reason for a GM to take Lamar Jackson over Dak. Dak is better in nearly every important NFL passing metric especially when you consider Jackson requires an offense uniquely created around him to succeed.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Infection_Ag11
AG
jr15aggie said:

A little history from a guy that started watching Cowboys football as a kid around the mid 80's:

There was ~ 5 year gap between the good version of Danny White and Aikman. Post Aikman, we had another ~ 5 years before Romo took over. And we had zero years in between the Romo and Dak era.

The definition of "bad Cowboys QB" I've had to listen to for 20 years now comes from 2 groups of people:

• People that remember the Aikman years and no QB will ever be "good" unless they win a Super Bowl or three
  • People who are spoiled by the fact that this franchise has NEVER had to deal with decade long stretches of legitimate BAD QB play.

One of the dirty secrets of NFL history that nobody ever talks about is that Troy Aikman was only a good NFL QB for 5 years, from 1992 to 1996. The rest of his career before and after he threw more INTs than TDs, had a sub-60% completion percentage, averaged 190 YPG passing and had a passer rating under 80. He spent over half of his career being Trent Dilfer.

The reality is that even when corrected for eras there's really no coherent statistical argument that Aikman was better than Romo or Dak in totality apart from rings, and there's no reason to believe Romo or Dak wouldn't have won multiple rings with that juggernaut of a dynasty. Look at those 2011-2013 squads Romo dragged by himself to .500 records. Those were awful, 3-4 win teams without him. Ain't no way Aikman was taking those teams to .500.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ag Natural
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

jr15aggie said:

A little history from a guy that started watching Cowboys football as a kid around the mid 80's:

There was ~ 5 year gap between the good version of Danny White and Aikman. Post Aikman, we had another ~ 5 years before Romo took over. And we had zero years in between the Romo and Dak era.

The definition of "bad Cowboys QB" I've had to listen to for 20 years now comes from 2 groups of people:

• People that remember the Aikman years and no QB will ever be "good" unless they win a Super Bowl or three
  • People who are spoiled by the fact that this franchise has NEVER had to deal with decade long stretches of legitimate BAD QB play.

One of the dirty secrets of NFL history that nobody ever talks about is that Troy Aikman was only a good NFL QB for 5 years, from 1992 to 1996. The rest of his career before and after he threw more INTs than TDs, had a sub-60% completion percentage, averaged 190 YPG passing and had a passer rating under 80. He spent over half of his career being Trent Dilfer.

The reality is that even when corrected for eras there's really no coherent statistical argument that Aikman was better than Romo or Dak in totality apart from rings, and there's no reason to believe Romo or Dak wouldn't have won multiple rings with that juggernaut of a dynasty. Look at those 2011-2013 squads Romo dragged by himself to .500 records. Those were awful, 3-4 win teams without him. Ain't no way Aikman was taking those teams to .500.
Aikman definitely got a pass because he was the leader of the one of the best teams of all time. You could make a similar argument for Bradshaw. I think most also recognize that he was a very gifted passer, they just weren't a big time passing team. And then the concussions crippled a few seasons and ended his career prematurely.
chris1515
AG
I'm still optimistic for Gallup to get back to what he was before the injury. He was injured at the end of the prior season, so almost all this last year was within a 12 month window of the injury.
Macarthur
I think it's really hard to compare QBs and their stats from diff eras.

I think if Aikman played today where you can't even breathe on a WR or it's a penalty and you can't decapitate a QB regularly, his game would translate very well. Let's also not forget, his offense was not designed to put up 300+ yards per game.

I mean, as accurate as he was, if he were paired with someone like Sean Peyton, he would have put up monster numbers.
Ag Natural
AG
Macarthur said:

I think it's really hard to compare QBs and their stats from diff eras.

I think if Aikman played today where you can't even breathe on a WR or it's a penalty and you can't decapitate a QB regularly, his game would translate very well. Let's also not forget, his offense was not designed to put up 300+ yards per game.

I mean, as accurate as he was, if he were paired with someone like Sean Peyton, he would have put up monster numbers.
Oh yeah. Aikman would be a superstar today as well. His accuracy was legendary. A true prototype pocket passer.
Southlake
Let's see what the offensive output is MM compared to KM.

All Moore did was have a top offense the last few years.
Macarthur
Southlake said:

Let's see what the offensive output is MM compared to KM.

All Moore did was have a top offense the last few years.

Well, since offenses are ranked based on total yards, which is not the best metric, I'm sure Moore will put up huge numbers with Herbert. The issue was always how he could adjust and make the tough yardage in games with tough defenses, like they ran into two years in a row against SF.
TyHolden
AG
I hope this doesn't slow dak down....

Woods Ag
AG
Yeah, but yardage by itself doesn't mean anything.

He was a better play-caller when Cooper Rush was the QB because he had to call a conservative football game. Imagine if he calls that kind of game with Dak under center... Then we have something.
Vince Blake
Well crap. PFF put their draft simulator behind a paywall. I know there are others out there, but theirs is the best.
Big_Time_Timmy_Jim
So ghey
jr15aggie
AG
Vince Blake said:

Well crap. PFF put their draft simulator behind a paywall. I know there are others out there, but theirs is the best.

Surprised it took that long honestly. I'm amazed at how many football talk shows use their simulator to host live mock drafts. But yeah, that sucks for us.
alvtimes
PFF is a fun to play around with….. but will people really pay?
Macarthur
Not me.
Woods Ag
AG
blah... i never been there before. I just paid for a year in a moment of boredom... have drafted 7 times... 4 as the cowboys, 2 as the lions, and 1 as the texans and now i feel like a complete dumbass for paying $70-80...
Carlo4
AG
Macarthur said:

Gallup better have a good retrenching year or we could be looking at a cut next off season....

And look where Cooper is on that graph....

At least Cooks is above average still and can make plays.
Yellerjacket
ramblin_ag02 said:

Agree with the above. As much as I hate to say it, Dak is Eli Manning, not Peyton Manning. He's good, and he can be good enough. But he's too inconsistent to be upper tier
Good god, man! Dak may not be Peyton, but he is waaaaay closer to Peyton than trash Eli.
Yellerjacket
Woods Ag said:

You all dumping on me doesn't mean much bc you all are wrong and I am right.

I saw your previous post and it was weak so I ignored it. I could say that about anything and then recant it when you spout your next point.

I loved Romo. He was unjustly judged by many and he carried us thru dark years of mismanagement. Dak is still terrible.

Edit: terrible is too strong and not true. He's not the guy that will ever get us where we want to go. He's a placeholder and I wish we would keep looking.
Romo was a helluva QB and Dak is a helluva QB. I'm not sure why you guys can't see that.
Dak has had a great career so far minus this past year.
He didn't have much of a chance when every time he dropped back he had to choose between 3 or 4 receivers who weren't open every play.
Macarthur
Pro Football Network still has a free mock.

It is interesting to see the diff in sites because some have certain guys rated higher.

One thing that is interesting is that PFN mock routinely has the OT from Tenn and OU being there around 26. Can't say I would mind an OT if one of those guys is there. I wonder if Steele could bump inside to G?
jr15aggie
AG
Heard some mumblings that Jerry said something about Tyron starting at RT and Steele the back-up???

Hoping that's just old man Jerry saying old man Jerry things. I'm fine with Tyron as a swing tackle and playing there if needed, but I'm pretty sure we were better off at RT last year when Steele was there.

IMO Tyron needs to be this years Jason Peters. Don't count on him to start but we aren't mad if he is playing either. With Steel currently rehabbing I am glad to have the Tyron option, but surely the coaches and Will McClay are approaching the draft / free agency with the idea that he's not a full time starter unless injuries require it.
Tksymm7
AG
I think Steele is a solid player, and quite honestly I don't think he'll be fully healthy by the start of the season, but Steele isn't a great pass blocker. He's very good in the run game which is always nice, but at the tackle position you are paid to protect the QB, and he's somewhat average at that aspect. Now I agree that I don't want to have to rely on Tyron Smith to be an every day starter, but if you are just looking at the two men, then Tyron Smith is probably a better choice from a pure tackle perspective. This another reason that I think the Cowboys will lean o line again in the first round of the draft this year. They really can take the best available guard or tackle if they want too.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.