*******Official Cowboys Offseason 2023*******

122,352 Views | 1943 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Vince Blake
GCP12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gibbs is -220 right now to go in the first round. I'd still bet on him being available at 26, but the chargers are a possibility and Schrager mentioned the Giants as a possibility a few days ago as well.
jr15aggie
AG
I've been saying Gibbs was my guy since the day after SF eliminated us. I like him a little better than Bijan. So while I'd be shocked if he was gone before 26, it's only because of all the "don't draft RBs #1" noise.

Gibbs is an absolute STUD... just based on ability him and Bijan both should be gone and Dallas will be "settling" for a "boring" LG pick.
Tksymm7
AG
This is the draft order from 10 to 32, and tbh I don't know where Bijan will go after looking at it. The Eagles at 10 have the need, but I don't think they will take an RB that high. They just don't feel like a team that would spend that high of draft capital on an RB. Texans would be awesome but they hit a homerun last year with Pierce in the fourth. New England could use an offensive player of his caliber, but I don't see Bill drafting an RB that high either. The first team that jumps off the page with somewhat of a need and fit would be Detroit, then the Chargers and Baltimore (wild card though because of Lamar). RB in the first is just such a weird position because if you need more than an RB to be a complete team then it's a wasted pick.

10) Philadelphia Eagles (from New Orleans)
11) Tennessee Titans
12) Houston Texans (from Cleveland)
13) Green Bay Packers* (from N.Y. Jets)
14) New England Patriots
15) New York Jets* (from Green Bay)
16) Washington Commanders
17) Pittsburgh Steelers
18) Detroit Lions
19) Tampa Bay Buccaneers
20) Seattle Seahawks
21) Los Angeles Chargers
22) Baltimore Ravens
23) Minnesota Vikings
24) Jacksonville Jaguars
25) New York Giants
26) Dallas Cowboys
27) Buffalo Bills
28) Cincinnati Bengals
29) New Orleans Saints (from San Francisco through Miami and Denver)
30) Philadelphia Eagles
31) Kansas City Chiefs
jr15aggie
AG
Nice post. To go along with that though, you have to look at who Bijan's is competing with. A team may not "need" a RB, but what other "I gotta have him" prospects are all these teams taking instead?

If there was a consensus #1 WR in this draft (there isn't) they would probably have been the 5th best WR in last years class. The D-line isn't as loaded with top end talent either

In my eyes there are around 12 prospects that are QBs, CBs, OT, and D-line that you know will go high... after that it's a real crap shoot. I have a very strong feeling that a lot of names we consistently see in 1st round mocks will not have their names called Thursday... should make for a fun evening!
Agristotle
AG
I've seen Bijan mocked from 8 to 27.
Txhuntr
AG
Agristotle said:

I've seen Bijan mocked from 8 to 27.

The first two days of this draft is going to be a wild ride. I wouldn't trust a mock as far as I can throw it. There's not a lot of high end, sexy, all around consensus guys in this one. There's gonna be a lot of "highly rated" prospects fall
jr15aggie
AG
Lot of smoke around Bijan to Atlanta at #8. Chargers also in the RB market with Ekeler in the last year of his deal (I think I heard he and his agent are playing games). Washington could sure use some juice on offense and last I checked Detroit ain't got crap at RB and they have Two top 20 picks.

I see a whole lotta opportunities for Bijan and Gibbs to both be gone by the time we get to pick 22... it could get wild indeed!
Tksymm7
AG
Leave it to Atlanta to take Bijan and Pitts, two of the best players at their positions we've seen in a long time, and ruin them both.
jr15aggie
AG
Tksymm7 said:

Leave it to Atlanta to take Bijan and Pitts, two of the best players at their positions we've seen in a long time, and ruin them both.

LOL, indeed!

Pitts is the reason I'm scared of Kincaid. Call me a coward, but I'll take the safer bet Mayer if both were available... he just seems like a great fit for Dallas & Dak.

I'm getting the Draft-Eve concerns that the guys we are focusing on will all be gone. Give me Mayer, Bijan/Gibbs, or a plug & play OT/OG and I'll be happy.

IMO, worst case scenario is all those names above are gone, we can't trade down, and we end up with a LB, 2nd tier D-line prospect, or an under-sized WR at 26.
Tksymm7
AG
I'd take Darnell Wright right now.
Woods Ag
AG
There will be a great player available to us.. we need Jerry to resist a WR bc one of those will be there too.
Tksymm7
AG
I see zero chance we take a WR in the first now the we have Cooks.
Woods Ag
AG
He is going to struggle if Quinton Johnson or whatever that TCU WRs name is is available.

CeeDee Lamb is better in the slot or at least being able to be moved around. Brandon Cooks is your deep threat, space creator. We are lacking that physical WR, but I don't want him. I want the safety blanket TE
jr15aggie
AG
Woods Ag said:

There will be a great player available to us.. we need Jerry to resist a WR bc one of those will be there too.

Gotta think McClay, Stephen, and the coaches all know better. We got Cooks so that we aren't trapped into taking a 1st round WR. They were studying these prospects well before they traded for him.

I would be very surprised and disappointed if we went WR #1.
Big_Time_Timmy_Jim
I think OL is the pick if you listen to all the PC's…

Tyron has missed 2/3 of games since MM took over. Steele injured and free next year if they don't resign. Lost McGovern at LG and Zach is a HOFer but for how long? OL is quietly a very fragile position.

Caveat to that is if MM schemes around later round picks on OL…I don't recall GB drafting OL high ever…and cowboys back to back first rounders on OL? Dunno…
alvtimes
Here my hopes
Rd 1. Nolan Smith or Trenton Simpson
Rd 2. Avila G from TCU or Torrance G from Fl.
Rd 3. Miller RB from TCU
Rd 4. Corner or TE
jr15aggie
AG
alvtimes said:

Here my hopes
Rd 1. Nolan Smith or Trenton Simpson
Rd 2. Avila G from TCU or Torrance G from Fl.
Rd 3. Miller RB from TCU
Rd 4. Corner or TE

It's a good list, but here's my counter points:

1. Avila and Torrence are the consensus top tier OGs in this draft... probably wishful thinking either last until our 2nd round pick.

2. Nolan Smith... we have Micah, Sam Williams, Fowler, Armstrong, & D-Law... how many snaps would he get if he was our 1st round pick?
alvtimes
totally agree on your 1st point about the guards but Avila shows up in the 50's so just need a few teams to go defense instead
As for LB'ers…… just trying to get more pressure on qb is it sort of a luxury pick, yes….. but if Simpson is the guy…. he replaces Vander esch…. if its Smith thats one more guy to bring pressure on qb from anywhere…… pressure makes all corners better. We'll see what happens starting tomorro….. more fun to discuss draft picks than to argue where Dak ranks in qb pecking order….
jr15aggie
AG
Over in the Texans thread there is write up about how they are out on Stroud, Levis and Richardson.... but they are in on Hooker....

I wonder if we could be their trade up partner to get back in the 1st and get their QB with + 5th year option. That could be a great scenario for both teams if Dallas gets wiped out.
jr15aggie
AG
Happy Draft Day everyone!

If I were Kevin Costner I would have just made my coffee and put a note in my pocket that says: "Jahmyr Gibbs no matter what"
Woods Ag
AG
Maybe we're they're trade partner at 2 and we give them Dak and take Levis.
TyHolden
AG
Hooker won't make it to 20…bet the farm
Tksymm7
AG
I'll preface this by saying that I think Nolan Smith is a top 10-15 lock. However, for the sake of conversation, yes we have those guys you listed above, but I think there's more uncertainty at that position than you think. Micah is a bona fide stud, but, Sam Williams is still mostly promise and untapped potential (needs to stay out of trouble too); D law is 30 and entering the last few years of his contract; and Fowler is a journeyman rusher. I think edge is a sneaky position where we need to hit on another guy in this draft or the next.
Macarthur
Sturm just used the term for Meyers "limited athlete". That's a no for me. Basically taking dalton shultz w your first round is a snoozer for me.
Disco Stu
AG
I am hoping that they take an OL in the first, Wright would be my pick. I do not think there is much OL depth in this draft that there is in other positions.
Woods Ag
AG
Agree with you and I like Sam Williams, but if Nolan falls to us you have to take him. Him and Parsons together would be something to watch.

You could move both of them all over. Defense wouldn't know which is coming and which is dropping, are both coming, are both dropping. Run from these 2, Jalen.. please try.

There's no way he's there at 26. He's a good kid with great talent. But if he is and we take him I vow to stfu, stop hating on the cowboys, and just be a blind fan
jr15aggie
AG
Macarthur said:

Sturm just used the term for Meyers "limited athlete". That's a no for me. Basically taking dalton shultz w your first round is a snoozer for me.

He projects to be much better than Schultz in many ways, but I understand what you are saying. I'm at a point where I'm OK with the pick, but it's not what I'm hoping for.

In the same way we argue it's a deep RB class, it's also a deep TE class. Just comparing the 2 positions, it would be a much better deal for us to take Gibbs at #1 and get TE in the 3rd vs. taking Mayer at #1 and getting a RB at #3.
Macarthur
He's def a better blocker than Schultz. I just keep going back to this teams last two playoff losses and in both cases, the defense had to worry about CD and that it, esp after pollard got hurt.

Teams win playoff games every year w late round picks on the OL.

We need play makers
jr15aggie
AG
Macarthur said:

We need play makers

I could not agree more. We shouldn't have to have an O-line full of 1st rounders to be good... as you said, we need play makers!

Everybody may not agree with the player or the position, but this line of thinking is the reason why I haven't stopped talking about Gibbs since January. There isn't another playmaker in this draft (that will realistically be there at 26) that can take this offense to another level like he can.

If he's there he needs to be the pick!
beagle2009
AG
jr15aggie said:

Macarthur said:

We need play makers

I could not agree more. We shouldn't have to have an O-line full of 1st rounders to be good... as you said, we need play makers!

Everybody may not agree with the player or the position, but this line of thinking is the reason why I haven't stopped talking about Gibbs since January. There isn't another playmaker in this draft (that will realistically be there at 26) that can take this offense to another level like he can.

If he's there he needs to be the pick!

A lot of this was echoed by Sturm this morning on the Pigskin Panel. We need guys who can "get buckets" through the course of the season, and we've seen multiple years of SB contenders with patchwork OL (Cincy, KC, etc.).

I'm all in on Gibbs (assuming he's still there) then get TE in the second round with multiple options available who have a lot of upside and are way more athletic than Mayer.
Macarthur
I would be good w Gibbs and then maybe target that TE from Old Dominion in the 3rd.
Ag Natural
AG
Macarthur said:

Shultz single handedly sabotaged drives with his atrocious blocking. I think having a guy who can actually move the needle in that area would be big for this offense. He only needs to be decent in the passing game.
Macarthur
How would the board feel about these first 3 picks?

Gibbs
K. Benton (DT out of Wisc.)
Kuntz
beagle2009
AG
Macarthur said:

How would the board feel about these first 3 picks?

Gibbs
K. Benton (DT out of Wisc.)
Kuntz

Could definitely do worse! Our run defense was a liability last year so if we're able to get a day 1 contributor that would be a win. There are a few more highly rated TEs above Kuntz but I still think he's a plus pass catcher and a freak athlete. I wonder about his injury though.
Tksymm7
AG
Because this draft is so weak at the top, I really do believe we'll see the cowboys and a lot of other teams go best available at the top.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.