*******Official Cowboys Offseason 2023*******

122,279 Views | 1943 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Vince Blake
Tksymm7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I definitely agree with this, and it's not so much I don't believe he can take a beating in the NFL. I just don't know if he could take a beating for 17+ weeks.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I do see a place for him and adding an explosive element to an offense. But his PT is going to have to be managed - situationally and workload wise. I could see him maybe sneaking into late 2nd. I feel like 3rd is most likely.
gigem1223
I'm probably in the minority here but I don't want to spend any cap on running backs. It's a young man's game, especially at RB. I'd let both Zeke and TP walk, draft someone like Bijan and look to add another WR by trade (Hopkins or Diggs?).
Tksymm7
AG
gigem1223 said:

I'm probably in the minority here but I don't want to spend any cap on running backs. It's a young man's game, especially at RB. I'd let both Zeke and TP walk, draft someone like Bijan and look to add another WR by trade (Hopkins or Diggs?).
The more I have thought about it, the more I subscribe to this line of thinking as well. Look at it this way, if you don't resign Tony P and let Zeke walk, we would be saving just over $20 million against the cap. That extra space could possibly help you resign LVE, Donovan Wilson, McGovern, Hankins or even Carlos Watkins if you so choose, all of which were pretty integral to our success this year. If you don't want to resign any of them or only one, then that gives you extra space to go out and sign a better, more proven WR, and allows us be more aggressive so we can go out and draft a Bijan Robinson or a JSN.
DannyDuberstein
AG
With the injury, I just don't think it's gonna take a lot to resign TP to a 1 year. You definitely cut Zeke and draft a RB. But I just don't think the market for TP is going to be very active. If you can't work it out, let him walk
Macarthur
I'm cool w not spending $ on RB as long the Jones' go out and get a stud WR like Hopkins. My fear is they save that $ and not fortify the WR room.
jr15aggie
AG
We really need to trade for a legit WR weapon. Can't rely on the draft for this. Last year was a good example. Tolbert was worthless... even Sky Moore, who many assumed would blow up in KC, didn't do crap all year.

Trade for a WR and draft a RB. Assuming we also re-sign TP this offense can take a big step forward next year.
Tksymm7
AG
I looked into this scenario this morning. I think much like Christian Kirk, D Hop has been absolutely wasted in Arizona the past few seasons, albeit he didn't do himself any favors getting suspended. But, I believe he could still give you two'ish good to great seasons simply with competent QB play and play calling (keep in mind he is already 30).

My two issues with acquiring D Hop are this: 1. His CAP HIT the next two seasons is $30.7 and $26.2, and 2. I think this offense is really lacking a go and get it, elite route runner type, and D Hop, although an elite route runner, is not a go and get it guy. He's a box you out/dominate you physically, type of guy. Now, if you could restructure his contract and get his cap hit down to ~$20 and ~15, I'm ALL ears, because I don't think it would take anything major to acquire him.
TyHolden
AG

Here it is
Tksymm7
AG
Who were the other QB's available when you took Hooker?
TyHolden
AG
Tksymm7 said:

Who were the other QB's available when you took Hooker?
Purdue qb was next highest rated
Tksymm7
AG
Very interesting! I think taking a QB in the third is a great idea this year.
TyHolden
AG
Tksymm7 said:

I agree. It's time we get Dak's successor.
Tksymm7
AG
I personally would be okay with them spending even more or higher draft capital to get a guy they really liked, but I get wanting to fill out other areas for this next year.
Macarthur
Tksymm7 said:

I looked into this scenario this morning. I think much like Christian Kirk, D Hop has been absolutely wasted in Arizona the past few seasons, albeit he didn't do himself any favors getting suspended. But, I believe he could still give you two'ish good to great seasons simply with competent QB play and play calling (keep in mind he is already 30).

My two issues with acquiring D Hop are this: 1. His CAP HIT the next two seasons is $30.7 and $26.2, and 2. I think this offense is really lacking a go and get it, elite route runner type, and D Hop, although an elite route runner, is not a go and get it guy. He's a box you out/dominate you physically, type of guy. Now, if you could restructure his contract and get his cap hit down to ~$20 and ~15, I'm ALL ears, because I don't think it would take anything major to acquire him.

Where did you see his contract numbers? I saw 19 next year and 15 after that.
PatAg
AG
We should have bodied San Francisco
PatAg
AG
TyHolden said:

Tksymm7 said:

You think that is something you normally get in the 3rd round?
TyHolden
AG
PatAg said:

TyHolden said:

Tksymm7 said:

You think that is something you normally get in the 3rd round?
You're right - Jerrah will probably draft him in the second. Statement pick!!!
Tksymm7
AG

jr15aggie
AG
That's his cap hit in AZ... some of that is prorated signing bonus, etc. AZ would have to eat a good amount of dead money if they traded him... his cap hit wouldn't be quite that high if he plays for Dallas.

Edit: Dallas would also have the ability to redo his contract. There are lots of creative ways to get the cap number down in a trade scenario. And some players are more than willing to give a little to get on with a winning team.
Macarthur
jr15aggie said:

That's his cap hit in AZ... some of that is prorated signing bonus, etc. AZ would have to eat a good amount of dead money if they traded him... his cap hit wouldn't be quite that high if he plays for Dallas.

Edit: Dallas would also have the ability to redo his contract. There are lots of creative ways to get the cap number down in a trade scenario. And some players are more than willing to give a little to get on with a winning team.

Yeah, Dallas would not get those cap hits. $34m for two years of Hopkins….where do I sign up for that?

Two years is exactly when you have to kick in big $ for CD. Sounds good to me.
Tksymm7
AG
If they could get him for a third I would be in.
PatAg
AG
This was the year to win it all
PatAg
AG
Philly is the worst
jtstanley4621
AG
PatAg said:

This was the year to win it all

Well if the 49ers were physically able at the QB position to throw the ball downfield this might be a different story.

Without a doubt the 49ers defense made Hurts falter. It just didn't matter because of what happened to them at QB. I actually can't recall a scenario where a team was forced to play a QB who could only hand it off for 90 percent of a second half.
Kashchei
AG
Another arch-rival in the SB. It's just numbing at this point.
jtstanley4621
AG
Was extremely likely once Purdy went out and inevitable once Johnson went down.

I refuse to give the eagles credit for this win. They could not have been more fortunate
Macarthur
Unbelievable how lucky they are. Had to beat the Giants and a severely handicapped SF to get to the SB. Wow.
jr15aggie
AG
Salt in the wound.

Philly wasted a #1 pick on a QB and still won a super bowl and is going to another in the years since Dak became the QB.

And let me be clear... I'm not blaming Dak. F-gn Cowboys should have eaten 100% of Romo's dead cap that 1st year and spent years 3 and 4 of Daks rookie deal going for it all.

Incompetent front office!
jr15aggie
AG
Macarthur said:

Unbelievable how lucky they are. Had to beat the Giants and a severely handicapped SF to get to the SB. Wow.

I'll second that. The Cowboys best 2 chances going back to 2007:

1. We had to play a Giants team that went on to beat, arguably, the best team of all time in the SB

2. Got beat by Aaron Rogers, assisted by the refs. I ask anyone to give me another 15 yard "too many men in the huddle" penalty in the history of the league.

The Cowboys own stupidity combined with "never seen that before" type stuff is an unreal combination of futility.
LeagueCityAg
AG
Kashchei said:

Right after the Astros win another World Series too. Dallas sports fans have had it rough this past year.
jr15aggie
AG
LeagueCityAg said:

Kashchei said:

Right after the Astros win another World Series too. Dallas sports fans have had it rough this past year.

Not trying to add on... that's one of the ONLY things I have going for me in sports. I'm an Austin area guy and grew up loving the Cowboys (duh) and the Astros (had HOU family and went to tons of Astros games as a kid).

The Astros success just amplifies what I want for The Cowbos. Stros won in 2017 and this season was crazy enjoyable win or lose because the recent success trumped all. I'd love nothing more than for The Cowboys to win another championship and we can all just enjoy the good seasons whether we win it all or not.

The 25+ year drought makes it so hard to appreciate anything Cowboys related.
jtstanley4621
AG
jr15aggie said:

LeagueCityAg said:

Kashchei said:

Not trying to add on... that's one of the ONLY things I have going for me in sports. I'm an Austin area guy and grew up loving the Cowboys (duh) and the Astros (had HOU family and went to tons of Astros games as a kid).

The Astros success just amplifies what I want for The Cowbos. Stros won in 2017 and this season was crazy enjoyable win or lose because the recent success trumped all. I'd love nothing more than for The Cowboys to win another championship and we can all just enjoy the good seasons whether we win it all or not.

A Cowboys fan that's also an astros fan?

jr15aggie
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

jr15aggie said:

LeagueCityAg said:

Kashchei said:

A Cowboys fan that's also an astros fan?

LOL. I am very much aware. As I said... Austin area grown since I was 9. I have no home town loyalty. But what I can say is my Dallas Cowboys are always #1. I was a Cowboys fan even before I was an Aggie. As far as I'm concerned, another Championship for America's Team, is the pinnacle for all of my favorite teams.
. . .

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.