*******Official Cowboys Offseason 2023*******

122,156 Views | 1943 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Vince Blake
Ag Natural
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Woods Ag said:

Oh man... when you start reaching for trades made prior to the draft and late round players from previous drafts making improvements to factor into this years DRAFT grade it's not a good sign.

How else should you look at it, two 5ths and a 6th were used to acquire those guys. Besides, I didn't make it up. That came straight from the presser.
Woods Ag
AG
is this Tony Tolbert's son? I hope so. We need some 90s cowboys kids coming back thru the system where their pops can tell them about expectations and what it takes to live up to being a Cowboy.
jr15aggie
AG
He's not Tony Tolberts son, but that would have been cool, I was always a fan of that guy.

No idea what we get from Tolbert this year, but I've seen plenty of things to suggest he's working his butt off. Been working some with Dak too. He's doing all the right things, we'll see if it translates to on the field success.
Vinny
jr15aggie said:

Really interesting how the board fell... 2 names (Mazi and Bergeron) that none of us really thought were considerations in round 1.

Lots of respect for McClay there and you better be confident in that role... all eyes looking at him for the final word.

What really stood out to me was the comment about how they had capitalized on similar o-line talent in years past... but Mazi was the first guy (in forever) on the D-line that was not only available to them, but rated as highly as he was.

I watched the War Room clip as well. I don't think McClay would say that about a DT that's going to be an exclusive 1 tech guy. I think they feel his ceiling is much higher than what he was asked to do at Michigan. Mazi's ceiling might end up being a dominate 3 tech in the NFL. At worst he's going to be a run stuffing 1 tech and should free up our LB's. Either way we should improve. The multiplier effect was likely higher with this pick vs anyone we could have drafted on the OL at #26.
jr15aggie
AG
Yep. And I very much agree about the O-line vs. D-line decision there. I, and a few others here, specifically talked pre-draft about how we can't just draft O-line 1st round every year. We already have 3 of them on our team... at some point you have to find quality starters outside of round 1 (which we have with Biadasz and Steele).

It was a good call. I'm still curious what they would have done if Gibbs were on the board. I think he's the only other guy that would have made that conversation a 3 player discussion. I bet they still take Mazi in that scenario.
Southlake
jr15aggie said:

Yep. And I very much agree about the O-line vs. D-line decision there. I, and a few others here, specifically talked pre-draft about how we can't just draft O-line 1st round every year. We already have 3 of them on our team... at some point you have to find quality starters outside of round 1 (which we have with Biadasz and Steele).

It was a good call. I'm still curious what they would have done if Gibbs were on the board. I think he's the only other guy that would have made that conversation a 3 player discussion. I bet they still take Mazi in that scenario.
Ok,ok. We understand you're not so secret crush on Gibbs. But he gone. He ain't coming back.

jr15aggie
AG
Me welcoming Gibbs to the Cowboys in my dreams:

At least Philly didn't get him... I wouldn't have handled that well my dudes!
Macarthur
Saw an interesting clip on youtube today by a guy talking about 5th rounder Fehoko. He brought up the fact that he reminds some of a guy that Dan Quinn had back in Seattle by the name of Michael Bennett.

I was intrigued so I looked up their combine numbers and there are some real parallels.

Bennett:
6'4" 274
33.6 arms
5.0 40
24 reps
31 vert

Fehoko:
6'4" 276
33 arms
4.77 40
24 reps
30 vert.

This is an interesting rotation guy...he's a bit light to take all the snaps but could be a really good rotational guy and certainly give some juice to the pass rush from the inside.

BTW, he had 22 sacks and 44 TFL in his career. That's some real production.
jr15aggie
AG
I can get on-board with all of the great things we can say about the defensive guys we drafted. But the fact still remains, we used our #1 pick on defense and then we proceeded to use 2 of our next 3 premium picks on defense... all the while, defense was NOT the reason we lost our last 2 playoff games! And this is on top of using a 5th rounder on Gillmore (a move I loved!).

The only realistic hope we have of being better on offense is because of our new playcaller and journeyman Brandon Cooks.

The only un-realistic hope we have of being better on offense is because Tyron Smith might stay healthy, we drafted an athletic TE prospect, and a 5'6" RB (but I am a big Deuce Vaughn fan).

Whole point being... our defense better be doomsday-ish if we want to go farther in the playoffs this year. With the talent we have and Quinn, we might be just that.
Macarthur
I'm with you because I wanted more offensive firepower but I think we'll be fine and here's why.

Schoonmaker was the best blocking TE at the time. now, I'm considering that Washington has major red flags due to that knee. The TE position got better at blocking. Also, all three TEs are more athletic than Schultz so the position got more athletic and better at blocking.

The two playoff games we have lost the last two years, our run defense played a huge role in those losses. That should be better.

Zeke getting zero touches will automatically make our offense more explosive this year. Every RB that touches the ball this year is better than Zeke was.

Cooks is a good NFL WR that gives us some field stretch that we didn't have before.

I think Gallup will be better a full year removed from the ACL.

I think Schottenheimer and McCarthy will call a better offense over the course of a season. The numbers may not bear that out but I think the offense will be better suited to win playoff games than they were w Moore.

Pass that koolaid!
Macarthur
I just looked it up and Zeke had 254 touches last year. That's 250+ touches that will be going to someone much more explosive.
Woods Ag
AG
Wasn't Zeke like under the production expection of an avg back or something like that. I'm still praying Jones doesn't sign him back..

I agree with all your points above. I think Gallup will rebound. He was my fav receiver of ourse before the injury.

just getting rid of that OC will improve our team. Reign in Dak, good play design that give him good looks and running the ball more will equate to a better offense.
Ag Natural
AG
Woods Ag said:

Wasn't Zeke like under the production expection of an avg back or something like that. I'm still praying Jones doesn't sign him back..

I agree with all your points above. I think Gallup will rebound. He was my fav receiver of ourse before the injury.

just getting rid of that OC will improve our team. Reign in Dak, good play design that give him good looks and running the ball more will equate to a better offense.
Exactly. More efficient offense, less turnovers. That's helps the defense. Then this defense will be loaded to the point where they might score a bunch this season. I have no problem with the approach this offseason.
jr15aggie
AG
What I will agree on is Dak can get better with a better OC. The guy had one of the best rookie years of any modern QB... he came into the NFL ready to ball out.

He didn't forget how to play the position.
Woods Ag
AG
he was a game managing athletic QB behind the greatest OL we've ever had and a hungry monster RB zeke, Jason Witten and Dez Bryant. The defense was good too if I remember correctly.

He walked into a rookie QB dream. They were a super bowl team that he took to the playoffs. Romo wins the SB with that team if luck lands the right way.
fretyuioz
This is revisionist history. The OL in 2016 was above average, but not great. Written and Dez were in steep decline, although still somewhat effective. Zeke was certainly awesome. But Romo never carried a team to the SB before, and that wouldn't have been any different. He got lawn chaired in Seattle the only time he played against starters. His body was broken. Dak was the heart of that team because they responded to him. He made tons of plays.
Southlake
jr15aggie said:

What I will agree on is Dak can get better with a better OC. The guy had one of the best rookie years of any modern QB... he came into the NFL ready to ball out.

He didn't forget how to play the position.
Just get rid of his interceptions please….
Woods Ag
AG

Tksymm7
AG
Should be saying "I chose zero because that's the contract extension I got from Detroit."
zgolfz85
AG
zero cuz that's how many pro bowls I've been to
gigem1223
Woods Ag said:

he was a game managing athletic QB behind the greatest OL we've ever had and a hungry monster RB zeke, Jason Witten and Dez Bryant. The defense was good too if I remember correctly.

He walked into a rookie QB dream. They were a super bowl team that he took to the playoffs. Romo wins the SB with that team if luck lands the right way.

None of this is even close to being true. If they were a SB team and had a good defense. Dak doesn't lose to GB scoring 31 points with a stat line of 300+ yds passing 3 TDs 1 Int and a go ahead TD with less than a minute left.
jr15aggie
AG
Agreed. Dak was driving on GB early and often. The refs screwed us early (15 yard illegal substitution penalty... wtf!) and helped GB get an early lead. But Dak, Zeke, Dez absolutely balled out that game and refused to lose.... and then Aaron Rogers completed one of the most improbable passes of his career.
Macarthur
Still mad about that call. Awful.
PooDoo
AG
Getting back to a scheme that fits Dak's strengths and protects his weaknesses should erase a lot of the bad Dak plays we had in Kellen's offense.

Also, having guys that can run block will be huge. Watching Schoonmaker's film is absolutely ridiculous. Michigan would leave him 1 on 1 with DE's and 300+ pound 3 techniques… and he would HANDLE them!
We haven't had a TE that could block like him since Anthony Fassano.

One drive against Indiana, he pulled to block the OLB, went 1on1 with the 3tech, made a diving catch on a poorly thrown ball for a 1st down, left the LB standing flat footed to finish the drive with a TD.

This kid is going to be fun to watch. Developmentally speaking, he has a high floor because he's going to come in as the best blocking TE on the team in addition to a high ceiling because he has athletic ability and a lot of room to improve as a route runner but has a good feel for gaps in zone coverage. He has those QB friendly instincts where he squares up to show hands and numbers when he's open.

Prediction: End of his rookie year he will start being Dak's security blanket and year 2 he will be more productive than Dalton Schultz.
Macarthur
Agree. This is a pretty good watch. I think Dak's going to thrive.

PooDoo
AG
Oh, his younger brother is the #2 ranked TE in New England with 10 D1 offers. We need to get him to TAMU so he can be close to big bro for the next 4 years.
ApachePilot
AG
Woods Ag said:

Agree 100%. Romo getting hurt was the worst thing that could have happened to the cowboys in 20 years. Missed opportunity
Woods Ag
AG
I wasn't going to comment on being absolutely wrong, but I like the exercise of going back and revisiting stats

2016 Cowboys Offense:

Passing:
Attempts: 30th
Completions: 25th
Comp %: 4th
Yards: 23rd
TDs: 15th
Int: 3rd (fewest)
Sacks: 24th (good thing)

Rushing:
Attempts: 1st (499 attempts)
Yards: 2nd
TDs: 2nd

Conversions:
3rd Down Attempts: 4th (fewest)
3rd Down %: 10th

Defense:
Yards: 14th
Plays: 12th
Pass Yds: 26th
P TDs: 19th
Rush Yds: 1st
R TDs: 3rd

Penalties: 2nd
Pen Yard: 3rd

Dak was very much asked to be a game manager which isn't an knock on him at all especially as a rookie. He was phenomenal in the spot and far exceeded expectations. But he was a game manager. That's all he's ever been at his best and what he needs to be for us to win.

That team was one of the best built teams we've had in a long long time. Expectations, not unfairly (like normal) were for us to compete for the SB. It was actually true that year. Many of us here I think are in agreement that Romo doesn't get near the credit he deserved for how talented he was and with a receiving core of Cole Beasely, Dez Bryant, Witten, and a sprinkle of Terrance Williams for speed. That was a ridiculously good offense with an unbelievably talented OLine. To say it wasn't is just flat wrong.

The defense was a run stopping unit with Sean Lee staying healthy for 15 games, was all over the field, and tackling anyone that showed themselves. Nothing flashy, just a bend but down break, solid defense.
Woods Ag
AG
They gave up 300+ yards to aaron rodgers with a supporting cast of Jordy Nelson, Devante Adams, Randall Cobb and Jared Cook... And Ty Montgomery. Remember, Ty Montgomery was their RB transitioned from WR that year.

That's feasible and expected against that team. It was a bad matchup and we had a game managing QB that was going to struggle to keep pace.
Macarthur
Woods Ag said:

I wasn't going to comment on being absolutely wrong, but I like the exercise of going back and revisiting stats

2016 Cowboys Offense:

Passing:
Attempts: 30th
Completions: 25th
Comp %: 4th
Yards: 23rd
TDs: 15th
Int: 3rd (fewest)
Sacks: 24th (good thing)

Rushing:
Attempts: 1st (499 attempts)
Yards: 2nd
TDs: 2nd

Conversions:
3rd Down Attempts: 4th (fewest)
3rd Down %: 10th

Defense:
Yards: 14th
Plays: 12th
Pass Yds: 26th
P TDs: 19th
Rush Yds: 1st
R TDs: 3rd

Penalties: 2nd
Pen Yard: 3rd

Dak was very much asked to be a game manager which isn't a knock on him at all especially as a rookie. He was phenomenal in the spot and far exceeded expectations. But he was a game manager. That's all he's ever been at his best and what he needs to be for us to win.

That team was one of the best built teams we've had in a long long time. Expectations, not unfairly (like normal) were for us to compete for the SB. It was actually true that year. Many of us here I think are in agreement that Romo doesn't get near the credit he deserved for how talented he was and with a receiving core of Cole Beasely, Dez Bryant, Witten, and a sprinkle of Terrance Williams for speed. That was a ridiculously good offense with an unbelievably talented OLine. To say it wasn't is just flat wrong.

The defense was a run stopping unit with Sean Lee staying healthy for 15 games, was all over the field, and tackling anyone that showed themselves. Nothing flashy, just a bend but down break, solid defense.

Come on…Dak is more than just a game manager. I'm all if favor of the offense being a bit less Dak dependent but this comment seems really extreme.
Woods Ag
AG
It's fine to be a game manager. It's not a knock per-se, but he isn't and definitely wasn't then ready to go head-to-head against Aaron Rodgers. You agree they are on different levels, Rodgers and Dak?
Macarthur
At that time, yes.

But your comment, unless I misunderstood, is that Dak has been at his best when he's JUST a game manager. That's where I disagree.
Southlake
Yeah, Dak has been pretty much a game manager. I'd like to see him have a, "breakout" year and move up to Rodgers / Mahomes kind of level.

He has the right stuff, it's just whether he can move up mentally and be a mistake free play maker who is good enough to overcome game adversity and his own errors.

His high number of interceptions last year really bother me.

Goldie Wilson
Southlake said:

Yeah, Dak has been pretty much a game manager. I'd like to see him have a, "breakout" year and move up to Rodgers / Mahomes kind of level.

He has the right stuff, it's just whether he can move up mentally and be a mistake free play maker who is good enough to overcome game adversity and his own errors.

His high number of interceptions last year really bother me.

I feel pretty confident that Dak will never be at Mahomes' level. I think he is what he is at this point.
Tksymm7
AG
I agree with your point that Dak has largely been a game manager type of QB for most of his career. I would put him in a category between the elite guys and game managers as what I call a game manager+. Someone who can elevate themselves on given weeks (like what we saw against Tampa) and play like the upper echelon guys, but also play like a true game manager or worse at times when teams take things away from him. Where I will disagree with you is that I don't think he has the stuff physically. Dak has an average arm and average mobility because of the ankle injury. His physical limitations are why I think he will be a game manager+ for his career or maybe even worse as he ages.

I want to add that him being a game manager+ isn't necessarily a bad thing, as there are only a handful and some change of elite QBs in the NFL, and only a few that come out of college. Where being a game manager+ becomes an issue is when you start to turn the ball over like he did last year. You can't be what Dak is physically and turn the ball over at that rate. If you're Mahomes and throwing 20 picks but also throwing 40 td's, then its livable, but when you are throwing 25 td's and 20 picks, then you have a guy who probably shouldn't be out there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.