*******Official Cowboys Offseason 2023*******

122,163 Views | 1943 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Vince Blake
rgag12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jr15aggie said:

Congrats Dak and thanks for giving back!

Not only did he give back to the community, he would frequently give it back to the other team!

Truly going above and beyond this year.
Southlake
98Ag99Grad said:

He should have gone Drew Pearson on the crowd and talked smack after getting booed by the Phily fans.
Oh, you listened to The Ticket today
98Ag99Grad
AG
No I live in Houston. Just thought it would have been appropriate.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Listening to the Dak/Hurts debates over the next 8 months will be fun for those of us who've seen this movie before.

For reference, Hurts' adjusted passing efficiency was significantly below Carson Wentz's in 2017. And Wentz had a less talented team around him to boot. I'm STILL gloating about the off-season Dak/Wentz debates from that season.

What Hurts did this year, and specifically how the Eagles schemes against his glaring weaknesses, isn't sustainable over the course of a career. Or even across multiple consecutive seasons. Philadelphia wins that game by two touchdowns with Dak last night, because he's one of the best QBs EVER against the blitz and edge blitzing Hurts was how KC responded in the second half on defense last night. They took away the keep and lateral bail out and Hurts spent the rest of the game throwing quick slants and throwing it into the stands.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TyHolden
TyHolden
AG
This would be glorious...
Quote:

ESPN insider Dan Graziano (subscription required) recently explored the need for a new Jalen Hurts contract with Philadelphia this offseason and two things stood out. One, Graziano projected that the way the quarterback performed this season likely has pushed his deal into something with an annual average value (AAV) of $50 million or more. That would put Hurts in a league that, currently, only Aaron Rodgers is a part of.

https://fansided.com/2023/02/13/jalen-hurts-contract-prediction-eagles/
ApachePilot
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

Listening to the Dak/Hurts debates over the next 8 months will be fun for those of us who've seen this movie before.

For reference, Hurts' adjusted passing efficiency was significantly below Carson Wentz's in 2017. And Wentz had a less talented team around him to boot. I'm STILL gloating about the off-season Dak/Wentz debates from that season.

What Hurts did this year, and specifically how the Eagles schemes against his glaring weaknesses, isn't sustainable over the course of a career. Or even across multiple consecutive seasons. Philadelphia wins that game by two touchdowns with Dak last night, because he's one of the best QBs EVER against the blitz and edge blitzing Hurts was how KC responded in the second half on defense last night. They took away the keep and lateral bail out and Hurts spent the rest of the game throwing quick slants and throwing it into the stands.

I could see a situation where teams start treating the qb position like running back. Dual threat for 4 years and avoid the pay day as the guy is probably used up after the rookie contract. Or just cut bait before they have their fall. Some of these guys just don't have the upside to offset the salary cap hit. Hawks did well to cut Wilson, but maybe a little late imo. Got lucky. Ravens should sell high. Cowboys should sell high.
jr15aggie
AG
Do y'all think Bijan is a better prospect than Zeke & Barkley were?

Maybe I have my "I hate TU" glasses on, but I just don't see that. Zeke and Barkley both were just so friggin good in college. Maybe you put him on that same level, but I've heard more than one person say he's better than both coming out of college which really surprised me.
Macarthur
Daniele Jeremiah is a draft guy that I really respect. He has him as his 4th best player. I don't know if he's better than those other two guys but that would seem to me to say he's pretty damn close.

Close enough that if he falls to you at 26, I think you would be foolish not to take him
Southlake
Zeke played for a well balanced college powerhouse.

Bijan had to deal with a mediocre college team.

He's definitely a top 5 pick.

Jerry would never pick him while paying Zeke
Tksymm7
AG
I think he's definitely better than Zeke and slightly less than Barkley. He's just more physically gifted than Zeke imo. He's a better pass catcher, more explosive, probably faster, etc. Compared to Barkley, bijan is definitely a better pass catcher, but I think slightly less explosive/fast and physically strong.
Ag Natural
AG
They are talking about Hurts like he's a superstar. He did have one of the best super bowls ever, statistically. But I agree that he still seems like a one-read and run QB to me. You could tell that KC got dialed in and he started to struggle in the second half. He still made a lot of plays because he's such a great athlete AND he has a ridiculous trio of weapons in Smith, Brown and Goddard.
jr15aggie
AG
I do think it's incredibly unlikely Bijan falls to Dallas. In the same way that we say "Dallas would be foolish to pass up that kind of talent at 26"... I think you can make the case for any team drafting between 15-25.

Anybody taken over Bijan in that range will not be a better prospect, they will be a projection at a need/more valuable position for that team. I don't see the teams in the 10-25 range all passing on him.
Ag Natural
AG
jr15aggie said:

I do think it's incredibly unlikely Bijan falls to Dallas. In the same way that we say "Dallas would be foolish to pass up that kind of talent at 26"... I think you can make the case for any team drafting between 15-25.

Anybody taken over Bijan in that range will not be a better prospect, they will be a projection at a need/more valuable position for that team. I don't see the teams in the 10-25 range all passing on him.
Give me Achane in the second round.
jr15aggie
AG
Quote:

Give me Achane in the second round.

Yep! Love Achane and, with a decent o-line, he will be more explosive in the NFL than he was in College Station. Too small to be an every down back like Zeke was early on, but he will absolutely be a weapon!
jr15aggie
AG
With regards to the RB conversation, if we are able to get some real firepower here in the draft I'm definitely open to the idea of letting Pollard go. I have been very vocal about tagging him for a while but I've cooled on that idea some.

If we cut Zeke and don't tag Pollard, that's ~ $20 Million in cap space we wouldn't have otherwise. We'd have to draft 2 RBs in this scenario (one of which needs to be a top 100 pick), but I think I can live with that if we are using the cap savings on getting Dak another legitimate pass catching weapon.

I love Pollard, but with the unknown of the injury recovery and the fact that it's much harder to draft a WR than it is a RB, I'm fine with that strategy.
Tksymm7
AG
I think Malik Davis is fine as an RB2. He was significantly better than zeke at the end of the year. I don't think you can spend 2 picks on RBs.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Agree. I liked Davis when he was in there. Had a nice burst.
Tksymm7
AG
To continue the above discussion, I think Achane would be great in the third. He would provide speed this offense desperately needs. I agree that there is almost no chance Bijan falls to 26, but it could be possible to trade back into the second round and maybe pick up another second. If they did that I would be all for taking Charbonnet, Gibbs or maybe even Tank Bigsby.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I don't care for the idea of burning the franchise tag on an injured Pollard (pending the nature of that injury and his progress so far). I'd like to keep him if he's expected to be 100% by camp, and that injury may be an avenue to get him for cheaper for 1-2 more years
Tksymm7
AG
Yeah the number isn't great. It just depends on if you want to sign him up for multiple years rather than one. If he'd sign a two year deal (he won't) I'd sign him, but I think he's going to push for 4. I'm out on that.
Tksymm7
AG
Yeah the number isn't great. It just depends on if you want to sign him up for multiple years rather than one. If he'd sign a two year deal (he won't) I'd sign him, but I think he's going to push for 4. I'm out on that.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, he's going to want closer to 4 at a value that assumes he didn't get hurt. The wild card is whether there is anyone else in the league that is willing to go close to that, given he is a small, non-every down guy and now damaged goods. I think they may be able to get him back for a reasonable amount of guaranteed money you can spread over a couple of years
Macarthur
Everything I'm seeing about this draft is that there are A LOT of quality RBs in the middle rounds. There will be a good to solid NFL RB in the 4th round.
Tksymm7
AG
This is exactly one reason I think Achane could've really benefitted from coming back for another year. Not that he's not good enough to play pro ball, but because this draft is unreal with RB talent.
jr15aggie
AG
Tksymm7 said:

I think Malik Davis is fine as an RB2. He was significantly better than zeke at the end of the year. I don't think you can spend 2 picks on RBs.

You aren't wrong on "drafting 2 RBs"... I just don't personally consider drafting Achane to be a pure RB pick. He's like the offensive equivalent of a rover... just put him on the field and let him play.

In the case of Dallas, I think they would 100% view him as a Pollard replacement. Great player, plays a lot, but they are not going to line him up in a traditional single back set 80% of the game. In my eyes, Malik Davis is still a solid #3 guy next year, but we gotta get another guy if we draft Achane.

We have 3 picks in the 5th round.... no reason why we couldn't draft another RB with our 5 picks in rounds 5-7.
jr15aggie
AG
Lots of good discussion above (I got distracted and several things were posted before I hit send on my post above).

Pollard is definitely going to be a key player in how we draft. If we are bringing him back and we are confident he will recover, I doubt we draft a RB in the 1st/2nd round and it's possible we don't even consider Achane since their roles would be so similar.

What's funny about all this is we all talk like Zeke is 100% gone. And he should be, even if he takes a significant pay cut... the guy's legs are gone. But I'll believe it when I see it.
jr15aggie
AG
Here's a draft that would certainly raise eyebrows!

Tksymm7
AG
We'd have to go harder in FA than previous years, but sign me TF up for this.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Eagles lost both coordinators to HC jobs. That can't hurt for next year.
Grapesoda2525
jr15aggie said:

I guess most of us (including me) missed the fact that Dak won the Walter Payton man of the year award!

What a great dude! I think many of us just expect these athletes to do all this great community work and yet most of us just go home and sit on our ass after work. These guys go above and beyond and I have so much respect for these guys that really have good hearts to go along with their athletic gifts.

Is it really a fair comparison tho?

Do these athletes put in 45-50 hour work weeks all year long ( factoring in traffic / commute) like the " sit on our ass" folks?
jr15aggie
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

jr15aggie said:

I guess most of us (including me) missed the fact that Dak won the Walter Payton man of the year award!

What a great dude! I think many of us just expect these athletes to do all this great community work and yet most of us just go home and sit on our ass after work. These guys go above and beyond and I have so much respect for these guys that really have good hearts to go along with their athletic gifts.

Is it really a fair comparison tho?

Do these athletes put in 45-50 hour work weeks all year long ( factoring in traffic / commute) like the " sit on our ass" folks?

I've learned that the comparison game is dangerous in life (which is also why I feel social media is not good, but that's another conversation).

If somebody wants to do something then they should do it... sitting around and not doing it while making excuses why it's easier for somebody else to isn't exactly a winning mindset in life.

Even in the offseason, Dak has countless opportunities to have fun, take a break, earn extra money, etc... his choice to instead spend X number of hours doing community work is no different than any of us working typical day jobs.

Short Answer: Yes, I do feel it's a fair comparison.
Macarthur
Agree. I also don't think the average person realizes how much work these guys have to put into their bodies, even in the off-season.

I had a buddy that played pro hockey at a level or two below the NHL and it was pretty amazing to me what it took for him to physically do what he did. It's a full time job just to maintain your body.
Macarthur
I like this one...

Really like Flowers

Tksymm7
AG
Zay Flowers and Johnson are my favorite WRs in this drafts.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.