*******Official Cowboys Offseason 2023*******

122,172 Views | 1943 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Vince Blake
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When we are thinking about our 1st round pick (and possibly the 2nd round pick as well), we can probably take a pretty good guess at what this team will likely do just based on our history.

I think a lot of this has to do with their success at evaluating certain positions... the positions they take high more often are also the ones they typically hit on.

Who they are not going to take: Safeties & TEs

Who they probably won't take: DTs, LBs (it's a really poor LB class as well)

Who they are likely to take: CBs, Edge Rushers, WRs, RBs.

Who they are likely to take and that player be a STUD: O-line

My guess right now is we go O-line (Tyler gives us the flex to go LT or LG here) or CB round 1. We'll take one of those in the 1st and the other in the 2nd. I think the CB talent stretches farther into the 2nd round than O-line, so 1st round O-line in back to back years is a strong possibility

After that I think we'll load up with BPA skill positions (WR, RB, & TE) with our 5 picks in rounds 3-5.
Tksymm7
AG
I do think there will be interest in Bijan if he gets within five picks or so, but if he's gone by 20, I think o-line would be the pick. Wide receiver and Corner would be close seconds. I personally would like to see them address WR in free agency or a trade, but I do like a few of this draft classes WR prospects as well.

This is just a general thought I wanted to post earlier; with Aaron Rogers likely leaving the Packers, and likely going to the AFC, who's the best QB left in the NFC? Subsequently, I think that puts a ton of pressure not only on Dak, but McCarthy and many others in the Cowboys organization. There's no more excuses like "we got beat by Rogers doing Rogers things." The NFC isn't a murderers row of guys to go through anymore. Compared to the AFC (Mahomes, Herbert, Allen, Burrow, Lawrence, Lamar, and then maybe Rogers), the NFC is a super weak QB conference and it's time to take advantage of that.
98Ag99Grad
AG
great point about the QB's. No way do I think Hurts can keep doing his thing every year. Until proven other wise this year was a fluke. Stafford is coming back from injury. Purdy won't be sneaking up on anyone. Cousins has nice stats but has never won anything. Its definitely there for the taking.
Tksymm7
AG
I think before his injury Stafford would've been the easy choice for best in the conference, but his injury is pretty scary. I like Hurts, but I am also in the "do it again" or "do it year after year" crowd.
jr15aggie
AG
The NFC is indeed wide open. It's why a lot of us are saying "go for it" right now. Do whatever you can to free up cap space and go get a couple guys that can help this team (in particular, WR).

Dak is either the guy or he isn't... if we get a little wreckless with the cap and we at least play for a Super Bowl then it's worth it. They can figure out how to fix the cap after getting fitted for their NFC Champions/SB rings.

If we get a little wreckless with the cap and don't get it done, then we shouldn't be too worried about the cap in 2025 because we shouldn't have a $40 mil QB on the roster anymore!
Tksymm7
AG
This is Dak's make or break year. Like you said, it's either going to work or it's not. If it does then figure it out later, if it doesn't then kick him to the curb and try and get an elite guy.
jr15aggie
AG
Read a few Cowboys stories talking about how Dallas is planning on still using the Zeke/Pollard combo next year. Dear lord, please tell me they are not that dumb!

My only comfort is they are basing their stories off what Jerry said at the combine. They even go so far as to use his quotes... and, I swear, I have no idea what the hell he's saying half the time. The combination of words, pauses and stutters he strings together to form broken sentences is mind numbing!
Spaceship
AG
They are that dumb. It will be the Pollard/Zeke show next year.
jr15aggie
AG
There's a good chance you are right...

Because, ummm, well now you see the Owner... in the extent that he's uh, well he's done a good job for us now and, the umm, success which Super Bowls are made - which he had a big part in- those things are not lost in the conversation. We feel real good, as a collective, about the decision making processes... of which, and I can't...um... understate this enough, it is QUITE extensive you see... the thoroughality of which The Dallas Cowboys, as a group, make decisions... well let's just say we're gonna keep at it!
Ag Natural
AG
There's a fair amount of money locked in to those two already. Unless they draft someone middle rounds they probably aren't going to commit more resources to the position.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Zeke is washed. They save $5 mill by cutting him. $11.9 mill in dead money vs $11 mill in 2023 base salary + pro rata portion of bonus amortizing which comes to $16.9 mill cap hit if he stays under this deal. Then you still have to eat the last $6 mill next year if you wait. Hoping they are just saying what they need to say to buy time to post June 1. Zeke has to go
TyHolden
AG
Everything is fodder until after draft…
gigem1223
Dak and Martin restructured to create $30MM in cap space
DannyDuberstein
AG
The longer we go without hearing of a Zeke restructure, the more certain it is that he's gone regardless of Jerry's rambling
Tksymm7
AG
I agree with this. Actions are louder than words, and if they aren't working on a restructure it's pointing towards him being cut.
PooDoo
AG
This guys has been my go to in rounds 3-4…. He overwhelms opponents on film and it showed on the bench. Will not be upset if we draft him.

Macarthur
Yeah, I like him a lot but he's got an ACL so he's a redshirt next year. Won't see the field until 24.
Goldie Wilson
Macarthur said:

Yeah, I like him a lot but he's got an ACL so he's a redshirt next year. Won't see the field until 24.
Sounds like the Cowboys' ideal second round pick
Macarthur
Unfortunately, you're too right.
jr15aggie
AG
TexAgs is my only "social media"... any of you guys with the fancy apps hearing anything about Dallas & free agency?

Best I can tell it's nothing but the sound of crickets.
Tksymm7
AG
Nothing I've heard. Dallas is always quiet in free agency, so one way or the other, I'm not expecting to hear much.
FTAG 2000
AG
McGovern off to the Bills.
jr15aggie
AG
Tksymm7 said:

Nothing I've heard. Dallas is always quiet in free agency, so one way or the other, I'm not expecting to hear much.

Oh I know... I just thought maybe this year would be a little different.

But sure, let's just go out there in 2023 with the same guys we did last year and hope for different results!

.... but that's not fair. We won't go out there with the same guys as last year. We will have lost a few good young players and replaced them with 30 year olds that made a couple pro bowls over 5 years ago!!!
gigem1223
Unless it's a franchise changing player you never want to be a big player in the first few days of free agency. Always overspends. The only moves I'd really like to see Dallas make in the off-season is signing Bobby Wagner, trade for Hopkins and resign Dono to an affordable deal. Do that and this team competes for the nfc championship next season.
Tksymm7
AG
The Niners signed Javon Hargrave to a 4x84. No clue how much of that is guaranteed, but that number is huge.
Big_Time_Timmy_Jim
If ARod is AFC bound, it's time to break the bank and push the chips to the middle. The window is now.
gigem1223
Tksymm7 said:

The Niners signed Javon Hargrave to a 4x84. No clue how much of that is guaranteed, but that number is huge.

Loading up on an already loaded DL. Biggest problem with Dallas's 2 biggest competitors for the nfc crown is they both have QBs on rookie deals.
Tksymm7
AG
I'm curious as to what they're going to do with Nick Bosa. That's a pretty huge chunk of change to give a guy when you still need to sign your all-world pass rusher who is about to be the highest paid non-QB.
Vince Blake
Being a Cowboys fan on the first of free agency is like being a kid at Christmas watching all the other kids open their shiny new toys while you wait to open up the Allen Hurns secondhand action figure that your parents got from the bargain bin.
jr15aggie
AG
In all seriousness, I get and appreciate how the Cowboys have handled free agency recently. And I'm glad we aren't just sitting around re-signing a bunch of our own guys (even though we tried with Gregory last year for who knows what reason).

Guys like Schultz and McGovern are more than welcome to leave, they don't bring anything special to the table. Guys like LVE and Dono... I hope they discover the market is only luke warm and we can reach a reasonable deal with them.

But if we don't add a single free agent that can actually help us, we know exactly where next season is headed. Same place we go every time Dak & the Cowboys make the playoffs.
Ag Natural
AG
jr15aggie said:

In all seriousness, I get and appreciate how the Cowboys have handled free agency recently. And I'm glad we aren't just sitting around re-signing a bunch of our own guys (even though we tried with Gregory last year for who knows what reason).

Guys like Schultz and McGovern are more than welcome to leave, they don't bring anything special to the table. Guys like LVE and Dono... I hope they discover the market is only luke warm and we can reach a reasonable deal with them.

But if we don't add a single free agent that can actually help us, we know exactly where next season is headed. Same place we go every time Dak & the Cowboys make the playoffs.
I don't think there any doubt this team prioritizes re-signing key FAs and the draft. 80% of your cap gets allocated to your top 10 salaries. How you decide who those 10 guys are is the just as important as draft evaluations. Making one or two bad decisions is a back breaker. And always the issue with FAs is you don't know them as well as the team they are leaving. So you always have to wonder, why'd they let them leave?
gigem1223
Eagles losing a lot on defense. Also, didn't realize their dead cap hit this year. $54mm! No one is even in the same ballpark of that number.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, 2022 was a "go for it" year for them. Losing quality veteran talent and getting hammered by dead $$$ in 2023. Then this is Hurts' last cheap year, so they'll get to join the $40 mill QB club next year. Not to say they won't figure it out and still be very good, but the $$$$$ resources are gonna be much, much tighter.

These next two drafts are gonna be big for them to see what they can replace on the cheap. They do own the Saints #1 which sucks for Dallas, but they don't have a 4th, 5th, or 6th. Then next year I think they already have a few extra picks + they'll be getting comp picks for what they are losing now. So the chance to replenish is there if they don't screw it up.
jr15aggie
AG
We are going to be in the exact same spot very soon. We've got a crap ton of dead cap hitting on Daks contract AFTER his contract expires.

It's one of the main reasons I can see us going CB round 1 this year... they don't have the $ to make Diggs the #1 paid CB. Too much kicking the can down the road.

We need to take our shot like the Eagles did. A salary cap reconing is coming, might as well take your shot while Diggs, CD, & Parsons are on rookie deals.
Tksymm7
AG
And who's to say Jalen won't just sit out until he gets paid.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.