*******Official Cowboys Offseason 2023*******

122,152 Views | 1943 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Vince Blake
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Definitely not a need. Only if a stud falls in your lap

... if a stud falls in our lap and we are wiped out at our key positions of need and we can't find a trade partner to move back a little.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Right, but my point is we've seen how a stud TE can change the dynamic of an offense in this league. If THAT kind of TE falls into your lap, it addresses a need
Macarthur
Yeah, I don't think we NEED a TE, but a couple of the guys at the top of this TE class have really high level skills to strech the defense.

Now, I do think we need another top WR so I would def put that need higher, but I would prefer to fill that need in free agency.
Tksymm7
AG
I like that we keep drafting Charlie Jones in these mock drafts. Lets manifest this one into existence.
Macarthur
Tksymm7 said:

I like that we keep drafting Charlie Jones in these mock drafts. Lets manifest this one into existence.

Yeah, he seems to be a pet cat of several folks here. Will be interesting to see what he does at the combine because most feel as though he will run a slow time which is why he will be available in the 5th.

I'm also in love with the idea of Luepke. He seems to me to be a guy that will do the dirty work in the league for a decade and be a fan favorite.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

you guys think we need a TE that early? I really like Ferguson and Hindershot for that matter.

I don't know about that early, but I think we need one.

I think while Schultz makes a play once in a while, overall he makes too many mental mistakes to rely on.
jr15aggie
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Right, but my point is we've seen how a stud TE can change the dynamic of an offense in this league. If THAT kind of TE falls into your lap, it addresses a need

Your thinking isn't wrong.

I've been saying for a while now that we need to address OG and WR in free agency in a way that will immediately improve both positions. That frees us up from being forced to draft them early. If we can do that, then by all means, take one of those stud TEs at 26 if that's the way the board falls.
Vince Blake
I think some of you may have mentioned Hopkins as a potential target.
jr15aggie
AG
He 100% is a target. He's possibly the ideal target with a team that has their QB (whether they love him or hate him) but is in apparent rebuild mode and lookig to dump vets / salaries. AZ will part with him.

We need a guy like this now. Restructure contracts, do whatever you can to load this team. If we do all that and don't get it done in the next 2 years then so be it. Win or lose, Dak's time is limited and in the very near future we are in full rebuild mode with maybe 1 or 2 key players to build around (Micah and CD maybe). I say go for it.

Macarthur
Agree completely. I think Hopkins has two years left on his deal and you will need to pay CD in two years. Works out great.
Tksymm7
AG
I'm all in on trading for Hopkins, and I think there's a chance we could get him for something around a 3rd. That being said, I would still take a guy in the top of the draft, especially if someone falls to you in the 1st. I'm of the mindset that Dallas could really use a "drop a gear and disappear" type of receiver. It's one reason I really like Jalin Hyatt, he has ELITE speed.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Lamb has made 1 Pro Bowl as a first selection, so at this point the value of his 5th year option will be equivalent to the transition tag tender which is $18 mill. So 2023 is really the last year of cheap Ceedee. Not against exploring this idea, but that's a lot of cheese at WR in 2024
Vince Blake
If he is working out with Dez, I have to imagine Dez is giving him the hard sell on the Cowboys. And I am sure he wants to be as far away as possible from Kyler.
jr15aggie
AG
Tksymm7 said:

I'm all in on trading for Hopkins, and I think there's a chance we could get him for something around a 3rd. That being said, I would still take a guy in the top of the draft, especially if someone falls to you in the 1st. I'm of the mindset that Dallas could really use a "drop a gear and disappear" type of receiver. It's one reason I really like Jalin Hyatt, he has ELITE speed.

I hadn't even finished reading your post before I was thinking "I wonder if this guy has seen Hyatt play". That's funny!

Does Hyatt remind anybody else of Randy Moss in appearance? Tall / lanky / long strider type WR. He doesn't really look like he's doing anything until you realize he's got 5-10 yards of separation on the DB!
jr15aggie
AG
It's a good point Danny. And the reality is it's very possible we get Lambs extension done this offseason. But there are ways to work that deal so that his '24 salary is minimal if we have to consider a contract like Hopkins.

Also important to note that we can get out of Gallups contract after next season if we choose... there will be dead money as always, but overall it would be a cap savings if he's gone. So if we do land somebody like Hopkins and if we get a rookie that plays well for us next year, Gallup will probably be the odd man out in '24.
Tksymm7
AG
I think you bring up a good point about cutting Gallop after next season. If he doesn't bounce back and give you a consistent season, then bon voyage, he will be gone. That's also another reason I would still take a guy high in the draft if they fell to us.
Macarthur
My question on Hyatt is I think I read somewhere that, at this point, he's kind of a one trick pony. His route tree is not very developed. I haven't really studied him so I don't know.
Tksymm7
AG
I don't necessarily think you are wrong, but routes or route trees and that sort of thing can be taught. What can't be taught is his physical prowess. DK Metcalf was a relatively simple WR coming out of college and he has proceeded to become a top 10 WR in the league, imo. The same can be said for Randy Moss, Dez Bryant, etc. So I get your point and it is valid, but I would take him in the late first or second if none of the top four guys were available.
duck79
AG
Dez isn't the best example. His biggest flaw was inability to develop a route tree.
jr15aggie
AG
Macarthur said:

My question on Hyatt is I think I read somewhere that, at this point, he's kind of a one trick pony. His route tree is not very developed. I haven't really studied him so I don't know.

I had similar thoughts in my advanced scouting sessions (lol...YouTube Videos). Outside of his speed, what does he have? I think others agree which is why I think most people consider him a 2nd/3rd round grade. But as they always say... you can't teach speed!

But it brings up a good point... let's assume it takes a 3rd rounder to trade for Hopkins. If pick 90 is now gone, we aren't using 58 for Hyatt. So what's the best play? Who would you rather have? Tough question to answer, especially considering you have NO IDEA if some team might draft Hyatt at pick 40.
Tksymm7
AG
I do agree that ideally he's probably a mid to late second, but, the reports I've seen is that teams love his athleticism and speed (he's going to test well), and because WRs have increased value over the last few years, he'll likely slide up to an early second late first. Plus, he played against some of the most elite secondary's in college football and still got it done.
jr15aggie
AG
In other news... Sam Hurd just got released from prison for drug trafficking!

Sentenced to 15 years in 2013... he got out early. What a waste! I hope he learned something and has a way to contribute to society.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Getting out 5 years early on 15 year federal sentence is odd. Usually have to do at least 85% of a federal sentence because the good behavior credit is limited. He must have ratted some people out at some point to get some time knocked off
TyHolden
AG
jr15aggie said:

In other news... Sam Hurd just got released from prison for drug trafficking!

Sentenced to 15 years in 2013... he got out early. What a waste! I hope he learned something and has a way to contribute to society.
Did Jerrah pick him up? Maybe we don't need a WR after all???
jr15aggie
AG
ROTFL.... sorta
Macarthur
Kincaid is becoming one of my favs. Getting some Kittle comparisons.

Tksymm7
AG
Shameless plug for my favorite football podcast; 3 and Out with John Middlekauff. He covers the NFL as a former NFL scout, and on a macro and micro level. This week he gives a pre-draft overview of how the draft is viewed by teams, coaches, scouts etc., and how their views are different from what the public thinks. He also covers some stories from around the NFL. I think a lot of y'all would enjoy it.
jr15aggie
AG
What's interesting is none of us have been talking much about CBs. Probably because it's one of the most boring / difficult positions to evaluate and discuss... what are we going to do, sit here on TexAgs discussing elite hip flip ability!?!

But there is a real strong possibility CB will be the pick at 26. My understanding is there are 5 or 6 guys grouped pretty closely as 1st/2nd round guys and it could be the best value on the board when it's our turn. I don't hate it, it's definitely a need.
Tksymm7
AG
Corner might be the deepest/most talented position in this draft.
Macarthur
Yeah, wouldn't surprised at all if CB is the early pick.
jr15aggie
AG
Was doing a mock draft during lunch today and Clemson D-line Byran Bresee fell to us at 26. Was rated the #16 prospect so I was intrigued. Immediately went to youtube to watch some film. I did NOT see a 1st round talent! You can tell he's got power to his game, but he looks like a worthless slug on way too many play. Big time bust potential... he's almost like an bigger interior version of Taco.

And now, listening to a draft show in the background this afternoon, almost everybody in that room thought he was extremely overrated. None of them liked the guy.

The draft fanboy in me now feels like a pro evaluator!
ApachePilot
AG
Redskins release wentz. Man that guys stock has dropped through the floor. Wonder if anyone will take him as a back up
98Ag99Grad
AG
On his was to being the MVP that season before he got hurt. They still win the SB but yeah he's never been the same.
Macarthur
Did a little trade down and PFF really likes this one...

PooDoo
AG
My 1st A graded draft this season.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.