*******Official Cowboys Offseason 2023*******

122,167 Views | 1943 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Vince Blake
Macarthur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think a Bigsby/Pollard RB combo would be nice.
jr15aggie
AG
Macarthur said:

I think a Gibbs/Pollard RB combo would be nice.

FIFY
jr15aggie
AG
I wonder if we'd take Antonio Johnson in the 1st?

I guess it's not out of the question if we feel like we are wiped out at other spots and we lose Dono... but given our history of NOT drafting safeties it would be surprising.
Tksymm7
AG
Unfortunately I don't think AJ is worth using first round pick for.
Vince Blake
Cowboys just do not draft safeties high. Even in 2019, in the 2nd round when they had their pick of some highly ranked safeties and they went with Trysten Hill.

Looked it up, and the last safety they took with a top 100 pick was J. J. Wilcox at 80 in 2013.

Dono, Xavier Woods, Israel Mukuamu were all 6th round picks.
jr15aggie
AG
Friggin Gibbs ran a 4.36.... as if my man crush couldn't get any bigger!

Seriously guys... #26 for the Bama RB, even if we have Pollard. And before some of you say "no" ask yourself how you would feel if we pass and Philly gets him at 31!

I haven't watched his 3 cone or anything else yet, but I'm assuming he crushed the agility drills.
Tksymm7
AG
I really like Gibbs. I think he's the clear cut #2 guy in this draft. Probably an early second round pick.
jr15aggie
AG
Tksymm7 said:

I really like Gibbs. I think he's the clear cut #2 guy in this draft. Probably an early second round pick.

Or a late 1st depending on who's off the board around, say, pick 26.
Tksymm7
AG
I'm out on spending a first on an RB. It's just not a good draft strategy.
gigem1223
The only back worth spending 26 on is Robinson. In my opinion, guys like Gibbs are a dime a dozen in the nfl. I'd prefer Achane over Gibbs.
jr15aggie
AG
I disagree and that's OK. Robinson and Gibbs are the best RBs to enter the NFL in years. I argue that Gibbs will have a better career.

For good reason, teams value WR more in todays game... but look at the recent success and failure of drafting those guys in recent years. In most drafts the elite guys are easy to spot and you get 2 or 3 STUDS. After that, there has been a crap ton of "meh" WRs get drafted in the top 100.

This year's crop of WRs and several other high priority positions are full of "meh". Such a gamble... Gibbs is a sure bet, I don't care that he plays at a devalued position. I'm pretty sure Bijan is gon before 26... I'll take the other guy all day
Tksymm7
AG
I do agree that Bijan will be gone at 26. I think he leaves the board between 15-20.
jr15aggie
AG
Yep. I think there are way too many uncertainties in this draft for 25 teams to pass on Bijan.

There might be other, perhaps better, options for Dallas at 26 besides Gibbs... we'll just have to see. If I'm being honest, I'm not surprised if Gibbs is gone before 26 too. His tape is amazing and he ran an unofficial 4.36 at the combine.
jr15aggie
AG
Last thing and I promise I will TRY and shut up about it for a little while... I do not have a thing for RBs in general. I just really like Gibbs and and I'll take other peoples word that Bijan is also a can't miss player. But have the rest of them as 4th / 5th round guys. None of them are worth our 2nd or 3rd rounders after Gibbs/Bijan.

Achane is the only real outlier. To me he's more of an all purpose weapon than a RB so I don't really include him in that thought process. He's a guy you will have to have a plan for and I'm not sure Dallas is that team. But I still like him... not mad at getting him in the 2nd and thrilled in the 3rd.
Southlake
Don't even start to think the cowboys take a RB in the first round. It's become a plug and play position. Gibbs is impressive, but the cowboys needs are greater elsewhere.

I'm old school: Gimme the best defender available. Maybe the best WR.
jr15aggie
AG
Southlake said:

I'm old school: Gimme the best defender available. Maybe the best WR.

I get it... but the best WR available at 26 will not even be in the same league as Gibbs or Bijan. It's just not a strong WR class... the top rated guys in this class pale in comparison to what came out last year.

Same thing on defense... for one it's a terrible year for LBs. There's a handful of pretty good DEs and CBs with 1st round grades, but they are likely gone by 26.

I 100% agree with you on one hand, but on the other you have to draft the talent, not the position.
jr15aggie
AG
I ended up watching all the RB drills... here's how I rank them (with notable guys like Kendre Miller & Dewayne McBride excluded here because they did not participate).

Group 1 (1st Rounders):
Bijan
Gibbs

Group 2 (2nd - 3rd Rounders):
Achane
Tyjae Spears
Keaton Mitchell

Group 3 (4th+ Rounders):
Zach Charbonnet
Deuce Vaughn
Tank Bigsby
Eric Gray
Kenny McIntosh

Undraftable:
Evan Hull (the Jaylon Smith of RBs... guy ran to the end zone after every rep. Talk about "jumping on the pile late" hoping somebody notices you. No thanks!)
Vince Blake
Speaking generally, I'm okay with my team drafting a RB in the first round if it is a guy that can be used as an offensive swiss army knife that can be put anywhere of the field and I have the staff with the offensive creativity that knows how to best utilize that guy. Think Shanahan-McCaffrey. If I were the Eagles, I'd take Robinson at 10 and just create mismatch havoc every Sunday.

I did catch the NFL Network highlighting Gibbs' workout. He looked damn good for what it's worth.

For the Cowboys, I'm starting to hope for Kelee Ringo to be there at 26. Big fast corner that can help with run D. Since, you know, our other corner doesn't like to tackle.
Tksymm7
AG
My general strategy in the first round is to take the highest player on your board as long as they aren't at a position where it just makes no sense, like no need to take a tackle when you're rolling out prime Tyron Smith and La'el Collins. You're looking for immediate impact out of your first rounder, so try and get that at any position you can.
Ag Natural
AG
jr15aggie said:

I ended up watching all the RB drills... here's how I rank them (with notable guys like Kendre Miller & Dewayne McBride excluded here because they did not participate).

Group 1 (1st Rounders):
Bijan
Gibbs

Group 2 (2nd - 3rd Rounders):
Achane
Tyjae Spears
Keaton Mitchell

Group 3 (4th+ Rounders):
Zach Charbonnet
Deuce Vaughn
Tank Bigsby
Eric Gray
Kenny McIntosh

Undraftable:
Evan Hull (the Jaylon Smith of RBs... guy ran to the end zone after every rep. Talk about "jumping on the pile late" hoping somebody notices you. No thanks!)
I'd put Chase Brown in Group 2. He's a stud and tested better than I thought he would.
98Ag99Grad
AG
I'd bump Charbonnnet up too. I really like him.
Tksymm7
AG
I am not an Achane hater at-all. I love the kid and think he could be super successful in the NFL, but I can't take him in the second. There's just better all-around backs than him like Charbonnet, Chase Brown, Gibbs, Bigsby, etc.
Tksymm7
AG
Cowboys officially placed the tag on Pollard. Probably the best move even though it is $10.09 million.
Big_Time_Timmy_Jim
Titans shopping Derek Henry…no more guaranteed money owed so that could be interesting to follow.
jr15aggie
AG
Tksymm7 said:

Cowboys officially placed the tag on Pollard. Probably the best move even though it is $10.09 million.

What's crazy is it would cost ~ $14 mil if we tagged Dono. I love that guy, but no way is he worth more of Dallas's salary cap than Pollard. This is a good move

I say leave the tag in place and do NOT negotiate a long term deal. Draft a good RB next month and lets see if we feel like we still need Pollard this time next year. There is no reason to tie up long term money on another RB right now.
Ag Natural
AG
Tksymm7 said:

I am not an Achane hater at-all. I love the kid and think he could be super successful in the NFL, but I can't take him in the second. There's just better all-around backs than him like Charbonnet, Chase Brown, Gibbs, Bigsby, etc.

I like all those guys. I just think Achane has more upside due to him running track. He's the type of guy the Chiefs add as a late first early 2nd and everyone is watching him destroy defenses next year.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I love Achane and if he's there in the 3rd Dallas should jump on him. However I'm not impressed at all w his pass blocking. Pollard ain't great in that area either tbh.
jr15aggie
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

I love Achane and if he's there in the 3rd Dallas should jump on him. However I'm not impressed at all w his pass blocking. Pollard ain't great in that area either tbh.

Yep. I've said a couple times that I'm not really sure what the Cowboys would do with Achane. I'm not sure their offense is set up to take advantage of his skills while also hiding/minimizing his limitations.

At least, I know Kellen wasn't capable of that... maybe Big Mike will surprise us!
Vince Blake
Dane Brugler and Todd McShay have both recently mocked Dalton Kincaid to Cowboys. I'm guessing word is going around that they really like Kincaid.

I had to look up the highlights. This kid is something! Link to highlights (from Pac-12 network, so no junk music playing over it).
Macarthur
Yeah, one of the draft guys (can't remember which one) said it wasn't hyperbole to say Kincaid might have the best ball skills he's ever seen in a TE coming into the league.
Ag Natural
AG
I'd be thrilled with Kincaid.
Macarthur
Rumor is Denver is shopping Cortland Sutton. He's a real interesting kid that's been in bad QB situations. Wonder if they would bite in a 5th rounder?
jr15aggie
AG
Macarthur said:

Rumor is Denver is shopping Cortland Sutton. He's a real interesting kid that's been in bad QB situations. Wonder if they would bite in a 5th rounder?

I'm very interested in improving the WR group before the draft, but I don't want to spend anything higher than a 4th to get it. I don't know a ton about Sutton, but he's a very solid WR and would definitely complement CD and Gallup pretty well I would think.

As a hypothetical... Add Sutton, draft Kincaid in the 1st and get a starting quality CB & RB in the 2nd/3rd rounds. Give me that scenario and, on paper, this is a better team than we were last year.
Macarthur
I think Sutton has the potential to be a high level #2 type. I think he would be Avery nice compliment to CD and Gallup.
PooDoo
AG
Vince Blake said:

Dane Brugler and Todd McShay have both recently mocked Dalton Kincaid to Cowboys. I'm guessing word is going around that they really like Kincaid.

I had to look up the highlights. This kid is something! Link to highlights (from Pac-12 network, so no junk music playing over it).

This is an amazing TE draft.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.