*******Official Cowboys Offseason 2023*******

122,310 Views | 1943 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Vince Blake
Southlake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OL with the first pick!
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
gigem1223 said:

Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Liking the Cowboys offseason so far.

Think we got a pretty good value in Wilson on that extension.

Agree. Wilson, LVE, Gilmore are all great values if they stay healthy.

All those plus I've honestly never been a big fan of Schultz. I think Moores offense was very TED friendly and the plays he made were due to that. Lotsa other guys could do what he does and maybe do it better. Didn't want Jerry throwing money at him and he didn't.
jr15aggie
AG
I have a lot of respect for Schultz... guy was pretty terrible his first year. Didn't look like he had the stuff to be a pro. But he obviously put in the work on all fronts and became a good player.

He deserves to get a nice pay day (which technically he already did with the tag), but he needs to get it somewhere else now.
jr15aggie
AG
What's really interesting about LVE...

He played for a little over 7 million last year. Now we get him for 5.5 average for 2 years.

That's an unusual outcome when dealing with productive players. Usually it's "we can save X amount of money if we cut him / restructure his deal". Extremely rare to re-sign the same player, who is still in his prime years, and save cap space.
Tksymm7
AG
My guess is that his market was minute, or almost non-existent because of his injuries. I really, really like him last year, so I think it's a steal.
Ag Natural
AG
jr15aggie said:

He played for a little over 7 million last year. Now we get him for 5.5 average for 2 years.

That's an unusual outcome when dealing with productive players. Usually it's "we can save X amount of money if we cut him / restructure his deal". Extremely rare to re-sign the same player, who is still in his prime years, and save cap space.

I seem to recall LVE signing for $2 or $3 million last year.
Ag Natural
AG
jr15aggie said:

I have a lot of respect for Schultz... guy was pretty terrible his first year. Didn't look like he had the stuff to be a pro. But he obviously put in the work on all fronts and became a good player.

He deserves to get a nice pay day (which technically he already did with the tag), but he needs to get it somewhere else now.

Schultz is a viable TE option. If he's looking for a solid 5 or 6 million per year then he's okay. I just think he's looking for more and the Cowboys should not cave. This is a very nice TE draft and they love the two young guys already on campus.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Schultz didn't do anything that Ferguson can't do. I am really high on him. Agree that he came a long way and became a solid starter but looking forward to our young guys playing more.
jr15aggie
AG
Ag Natural said:

jr15aggie said:

I seem to recall LVE signing for $2 or $3 million last year.

You're right, I was wrong. I looked at his yearly totals backwards... 7 million was his first year which would have included his 1st rounder signing bonus.

So he does cost us more this year. But as it was said above, he's more than worth that if we get the guy that played the last half of last year. He wasn't as good 1st half... looked a bit slow and hobbled.
jr15aggie
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

Schultz didn't do anything that Ferguson can't do. I am really high on him. Agree that he came a long way and became a solid starter but looking forward to our young guys playing more.

Exactly. He can make another team better, but not this one. We have younger/ cheaper TE options... saving that money and using it elsewhere is how the '23 Cowboys get better.
Silvertaps
AG
Sounds as if Zeke is done in Dallas
jr15aggie
AG
Silvertaps said:

Sounds as if Zeke is done in Dallas

Awesome. Assuming it's true:

Cowboys are moving on from the right players

Cowboys are re-signing the right players

Cowboys made a great trade for a really good veteran with a bottom feeder team looking to cut salary and rebuild.

I dare say the Cowboys are nailing this offseaon so far.
PatAg
AG
We'll see
jr15aggie
AG
Eagles are releasing Slay (cap casualty).

Dallas and Philly's defenses are going in opposite directions at the moment and I absolutely love it. I gotta think they will 100% use their Saints pick to get their best rated CB available.

I'm hoping that their multiple losses on defense will keep them away from Bijan or Gibbs with their two first rounders. We've had a lot of talk about Dallas not taking a RB in the 1st round and I understand the thoughts, but on the other hand, the idea of Philly getting either of those guys scares me!
Danny Vermin
We're trying to win now and another top RB, especially with McCarthy calling the plays, is essential. He absolutely knows that running the ball more than throwing is winning football.
Rex Racer
AG
jr15aggie said:

Eagles are releasing Slay (cap casualty).

Dallas and Philly's defenses are going in opposite directions at the moment and I absolutely love it. I gotta think they will 100% use their Saints pick to get their best rated CB available.

I'm hoping that their multiple losses on defense will keep them away from Bijan or Gibbs with their two first rounders. We've had a lot of talk about Dallas not taking a RB in the 1st round and I understand the thoughts, but on the other hand, the idea of Philly getting either of those guys scares me!
I'm all for getting Bijan or Gibbs and letting Zeke walk. Just keep drafting good RBs, let them play through their rookie deals, then release and repeat.
Macarthur
Yeah, I am def on board with trying to get a good vet WR and go RB early. I would be good with Bijan, but I'm still not fully sold on Gibbs in the first.
gigem1223
Would be shocked if Bijan falls to 26, but if he does then you obviously take him. If not, I'd take the guard out of Florida and then address RB in rounds 2 or 3.
The Shank Ag
gigem1223 said:

Would be shocked if Bijan falls to 26, but if he does then you obviously take him. If not, I'd take the guard out of Florida and then address RB in rounds 2 or 3.
Achane territory
Ag Natural
AG
Round 2 at the earliest for a RB and that's only if one or your top guys slips. This class is pretty strong as well. You can get a guy in the 3rd who could immediately split time with Pollard. Shoot, Pollard was a fourth rounder.
Macarthur
Looks like the Zeke era is coming to an end. This is the right thing to do, but I don't blame Zeke for the Cowboys giving him a bad contract.

Let's not forget just how much of an animal this guy was his first 3 years or so....

(Language warning, BTW.)

jr15aggie
AG
Macarthur said:

Yeah, I am def on board with trying to get a good vet WR and go RB early. I would be good with Bijan, but I'm still not fully sold on Gibbs in the first.
Mozart Paintings
AG
Rapaport also reporting zeke gone
Rex Racer
AG
they had metal bats said:

Just got the ESPN notification. You can't see, but I'm doing the dance of joy.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Macarthur said:

Looks like the Zeke era is coming to an end. This is the right thing to do, but I don't blame Zeke for the Cowboys giving him a bad contract.

Let's not forget just how much of an animal this guy was his first 3 years or so....

(Language warning, BTW.)

So we're not blaming the guy that refused to play with 2 full years left on his contract? Jerry signed that idiotic contract, but Zeke was the one who pushed the issue. I definitely blame him for hamstringing the team during his prime.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
gigem1223
they had metal bats said:

Great. Now we gotta find a center too
Macarthur
I don't blame the best RB in the game, at the time, for wanting to be paid like the best RB in the game.
AgGrad99
AG
I dont blame Zeke for trying to get his...But what the Cowboys did was dumb. Dont give him a new contract, and certainly dont give him a contract early. You let him play it out, and then Franchise him if you need another year or so (ie NY and Barkley now).

Giving that roster position a huge contract was so dumb, and everyone said it at the time.

Loved Zeke, but glad we're moving on. It's the smart thing to do.

gigem1223
Just restructured D-Law to create over $8MM more in cap. That's $45MM they've freed up.

They have to be planning on making another big move or two right?
Goldie Wilson
Veteran WR?
Infection_Ag11
AG
Just restructured Tyron too. They now have almost $20 million in cap space and that's BEFORE the $10 million that comes off the books post-June 1 from Zeke.

They can pretty much do anything they want in FA or via trade now.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
gigem1223
If we get Hopkins I'll be drinking the kool-aid
wangus12
AG
Goldie Wilson said:

Veteran WR?

I fully expect them to do something dumb like $22m/yr for OBJ
Goldie Wilson
The perfect balance for all the sensible, responsible moves they've made thus far
AgGrad99
AG
They are positioning themselves well.

If they blow a giant chunk of it on OBJ, it would be the most Jerry thing ever.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.