*******Official Cowboys Offseason 2023*******

122,351 Views | 1943 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Vince Blake
Grapesoda2525
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Vinny said:

gigem1223 said:

FTAG 2000 said:

Eagles playing chess while rest of division playing with their food.

Playing chess by just having players drop to them? How'd Davis and Dean do last year?
It's easy to play chess when you have the #10 & #30 picks in this years draft along with 12 picks in 2024. You have ammunition to make moves and don't sweat having to trade a few away to pick the player(s) you like.
I think the eagles just have 1 2nd, 1 3rd, and 2 7th's left in this draft.
Vinny
jr15aggie said:

Ag12thman said:

Dallas had a solid pick, but the Eagles are getting lots better. Wow.

Look... any team that has picks at 10 and 31 will come out looking like Champs. But IMO, Philly didn't win considering what they had.

Getting Bijan and Smith, as an example, would have been a home run. Instead, they spent more picks on their front 7, where they have already spent a crap ton of draft picks and cap space.

If they don't have one of the most dominant defenses of all time, they haven't done very well.
Look I'm a Cowboys fan since birth but don't kid yourself. The Eagles have had a helluva draft so far. Dominate position groups create a staple and teams feed off that stuff. Nolan was a guy they were seriously considering at #10. They got him plus a top 3 overall player in this draft. That defense is going to be nasty.
Vinny
Grapesoda2525 said:

Vinny said:

gigem1223 said:

FTAG 2000 said:

Eagles playing chess while rest of division playing with their food.

Playing chess by just having players drop to them? How'd Davis and Dean do last year?
It's easy to play chess when you have the #10 & #30 picks in this years draft along with 12 picks in 2024. You have ammunition to make moves and don't sweat having to trade a few away to pick the player(s) you like.
I think the eagles just have 1 2nd, 1 3rd, and 2 7th's left in this draft.
And very few holes to fill. And now I believe they are down to 11 picks for 2024 (before compensatory picks). I would gladly trade places to have those kind of problems.
Grapesoda2525
Top rated run stopper in cfb for a defense that struggled against the run and can likely take double teams away from your superstar defender who also seems to be really excited about the pick.

vs

A slow, short armed, "scrappy" TE that we have to basically hope is the next Jason Witten for a team that already has Ferguson & Hendershot.

Grapesoda2525
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2023-nfl-draft-first-round-grades-tracker-falcons-lions-each-get-a-d-for-selecting-running-backs/

Round 1 draft grades
gigem1223
Vinny said:

jr15aggie said:

Ag12thman said:

Look... any team that has picks at 10 and 31 will come out looking like Champs. But IMO, Philly didn't win considering what they had.

Getting Bijan and Smith, as an example, would have been a home run. Instead, they spent more picks on their front 7, where they have already spent a crap ton of draft picks and cap space.

If they don't have one of the most dominant defenses of all time, they haven't done very well.
Look I'm a Cowboys fan since birth but don't kid yourself. The Eagles have had a helluva draft so far. Dominate position groups create a staple and teams feed off that stuff. Nolan was a guy they were seriously considering at #10. They got him plus a top 3 overall player in this draft. That defense is going to be nasty.

I agree with you on the talent piece but there's a reason Carter and Smith slid. Carter has serious character issues and Smith is a tweener with some injury concerns.
jteagle
AG
Just my 2 cents but it seems like the Cowboys definitely drafted for need with the first pick. They also saw how deep the draft is for TEs and Guards. Only 1 TE taken in the first round and no guards. Lots of quality TEs available later as well as RBs.

If anything s true about the NFL draft it's that is unpredictable. One year guards fly off the board, the next year none.

I think this pick makes a good defense better. Will be interesting to see who is available to day in the 2nd and 3rd.
AgBQ-00
AG
On the pre draft yesterday Steve Mariucci was going on and on that Dallas needed this guy at 26. I'm pretty pumped about the pick
Tksymm7
AG
That first round was super fun and exciting, but also really weird. In a draft that is pretty widely regarded as average at best (some people said that there weren't but 8 guys who were true first round grades), a lot of teams either traded up or were trying to trade up. The Texans, Eagles, Pittsburgh, and Buffalo all traded up to get guys, which just seems odd considering who they drafted and draft as a whole. There were rumors people wanted to trade with Dallas as well.

After sleeping on it, I think the draft broke pretty well for the Cowboys. I personally would've taken Nolan Smith based on pure athleticism, but I understand that he's got some real positional question marks and maybe some health concerns. Mazi Smith is a very good player as well; he fills a huge gap in the Dallas defense and is widely regarded as extremely athletic for his size and position. I will be pretty shocked if Dallas doesn't go offense with their two picks today. They still need weapons. If they want one of the top TEs still on the board I think they're going to need to get pretty crafty, because I think there's going to be a pretty major run on them at the top of the second.
Southlake
Funny, not one poster had Mazi as the cowboys first round pick. Now folks are scrambling to defend it. I personally think it's not a bad pick late in the first round, but not taking Nolan? Nolan next to Parsons would have been sick. Let's see how it plays out.

As for the Eagles, remember when the Redskins bought that amazing D-line and still stunk?

But it wouldn't seem so bad if the Eagles weren't so good already.

Still have to address that O-line.

jr15aggie
AG
Southlake said:

Funny, not one poster had Mazi as the cowboys first round pick. Now folks are scrambling to defend it.

Hard to predict the exact player at 26, but there were lots of people here wanting a D-line upgrade.

And he's also a really good player. If we had taken Bresee instead, I have no doubt this thread would look like it did last year.... WTFs all over the place.
Woods Ag
AG
I didn't know who he was, but he looks like an animal and I am not complaining about us having a dude in the middle. It's been a frustration of mine for a real long time that I have just given up on. Accepted the fact that we are just going to get late round guys to develop at DT.
Macarthur
Looks like others really liked him too.

jr15aggie
AG
Woods Ag said:

I didn't know who he was, but he looks like an animal and I am not complaining about us having a dude in the middle.

Mazi was a consistent top 15 pick in many of the early mock drafts and in the online simulators. Not a guy we should have been able to get so we didn't talk about him much.

As the process went along his "ranking" moved into the 30s and most of us ignored him again... not Worth a 1st but too high for our 2nd.

At the end of the day the Cowboys had him pegged around 15 (so they say).
Woods Ag
AG
There's so many good players still available. I'm excited to see how the 2nd round shakes out.

I'm confused by Detroit's 1st pick, but they have 3 2nd round picks and can come out really good by the end of the day today. Really hoping Dan Campbell and Aaron Glenn can grab some key pieces today.
Big_Time_Timmy_Jim
One of those picks that makes the LBs better. Frees up Micah, DLaw, Armstrong more…quietly does his job inside and others get the accolades.

Kind of wish they traded back and moved up in round 2 a little. Slight reach IMO. Not keen on DT/G/TE early, but no true outside WR left, RBs gone and several teams had him ranked top 15. Teams tried to trade up to get him, so think they let the draft come to them and drafted a Day 1 contributor.

Day 2 should be great. Go get some playmakers.
gigem1223
I don't think they could trade back and get Mazi. There are several reports out that KC wanted him, also had the saints take Bresee right after who they may have had below Mazi.
PooDoo
AG
Heard during a live YouTube broadcast and haven't seen confirmation but they said the strength and conditioning crew at UofM had to re-fit a leg machine for arms because Mazi could lift the whole stack on the two hand curl machine with one arm.
Sounds like the guy is a real Manimal.
Macarthur
gigem1223 said:

Vinny said:

jr15aggie said:

Ag12thman said:

I agree with you on the talent piece but there's a reason Carter and Smith slid. Carter has serious character issues and Smith is a tweener with some injury concerns.

Agree with this. Carter is insanely talented but some teams took him completely off their board.

And for those wailing about how awesome the Eagles have done, keep in mind, JOrdan Davis didn't do a whole lot last year. They got so much love for the Nakobe Dean pick and he was pretty much absent all year. Smith is a tweener that lots of teams, not just the Cowboys, passed on. Let's see how things play out.
jr15aggie
AG
Cowboys day 2... TE, RB, O-line would be my focus. I suppose WR is in play too.

We all heard the Sam LaPorta noise so it'll be interesting if he gets to us in the 2nd. I'm also really high on getting a RB, but if we don't get one of the top dogs in the 2nd, we are probably just waiting until day 3.
FTAggies
Yeah been wanting a DT since the rams playoff debacle, cowboys have been too. Those guys are just not that plentiful, not the impactful ones. We tried with hankins and McCoy, hopefully we've got a run stopper for a long time. I was worried at the pick bc it's a need and seemed like a Taco reach, but everything seems to be indicating good value.
Gig'em
Tksymm7
AG
I think we're going to see Mayer, Musgrove and Washington come off the board QUICK today. Washington could make his way down to us but we'll be sweating it. I think the same can be said for RBs like Charbonnet and Achane. They're going to go pretty dang quick.

I agree that Mazi Smith was a slight reach, but after 12 guys everyone was basically a second round pick, the cowboys just took the guy they wanted.
Vince Blake
I really want Darnell Washington. He'd knock his old teammates on their ass.
gigem1223
Vince Blake said:

I really want Darnell Washington. He'd knock his old teammates on their ass.

I second this. If we're going to take a TE, he's the one I want.
Macarthur
Agree that we will see a number of TEs go quick, but I think it will be fine. This is a deep group.
Vinny
I think the Cowboys will try to target a CB and LB over the next couple days. Outside of that I think the remaining 6 picks will be heavy on offense. Our most pressing need is an OG now. Would love to see Avila or Torrence fall to pick 58 today.
DannyDuberstein
AG
People got fixated on TE, G, and RB in speculation, overlooking what has been one of the most glaring needs on the team for years. And it's not like he was a reach. Most had him late 1st or very early 2nd going in, and he was higher than that with others. Best run-stuffer in the draft.
gigem1223
Drew Sanders is another name to watch. Cowboys apparently love him and have him high on their board.
DTP02
AG
jr15aggie said:

Woods Ag said:

I didn't know who he was, but he looks like an animal and I am not complaining about us having a dude in the middle.

Mazi was a consistent top 15 pick in many of the early mock drafts and in the online simulators. Not a guy we should have been able to get so we didn't talk about him much.

As the process went along his "ranking" moved into the 30s and most of us ignored him again... not Worth a 1st but too high for our 2nd.

At the end of the day the Cowboys had him pegged around 15 (so they say).

I think it's more accurate to say Jerry tried to claim that they had him top 15 to try to hype it up. Jerry then had to backtrack right away when Clay said they took him "around where they had him slotted" (which likely means a little higher than they had him slotted) .

It fills a need, but was a slight reach. He should be a solid run-stuffer.
zgolfz85
AG
liking mazi more and more since the pick...I also don't think he has social media, which that has to be a good sign
zgolfz85
AG
zgolfz85 said:

liking mazi more and more since the pick...I also don't think he has social media, which that has to be a good sign
ah nevermind, he does....just hard to find. should've known better!
Grapesoda2525
Southlake said:

Funny, not one poster had Mazi as the cowboys first round pick. Now folks are scrambling to defend it. I personally think it's not a bad pick late in the first round, but not taking Nolan? Nolan next to Parsons would have been sick. Let's see how it plays out.

As for the Eagles, remember when the Redskins bought that amazing D-line and still stunk?

But it wouldn't seem so bad if the Eagles weren't so good already.

Still have to address that O-line.

Draft is unpredictable. ESPECIALLY this draft. Did anyone think the QB from Kentucky would still be on the board? No……

Teams made a gazillion trades. Tons of teams moved down. Tons of teams moved up.

Remember how much better the defense looked with Jonathan hankins? The guy we drafted is supposed to be better than him after he gets some experience. The cowboys have lacked a true run stopper or "clogger" up the middle for what seems like 20 years now.

This guy wasn't expected to fall to us. He's the best DT in the draft against the run. If you're sick of teams running the ball down our throats over and over, gashing us for 8 yards a pop, then you should love this pick. He will make Micah parsons job a lot easier.

We didn't take Nolan because he's a tweener and he might have trouble breaking the lineup this year. I'm not sure how much he would've helped us with the players we still have at LB.
zgolfz85
AG
dream Friday would be getting darnell or musgrave, achane and one of our targeted guards
gigem1223
Here's another big reason why Carter slipped

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/28/jalen-carter-overcame-not-great-feedback-from-georgia-coaches-to-stay-in-top-10/

His own college coaches didn't like him apparently. 2 red flags now.
zgolfz85
AG
gigem1223 said:

Here's another big reason why Carter slipped

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/28/jalen-carter-overcame-not-great-feedback-from-georgia-coaches-to-stay-in-top-10/

His own college coaches didn't like him apparently. 2 red flags now.
would be a real shame if he flopped in philly

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.