*******Official Cowboys Offseason 2023*******

122,298 Views | 1943 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Vince Blake
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Keeping Quinn is huge
ramblin_ag02
AG
Wow. I thought for sure he was gone. Can't imagine why he'd want to come back instead of taking a HC gig
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Macarthur
Hell Yes! He really does seem to have a connection to this group of guys.
98Ag99Grad
AG
great news.
Tksymm7
AG
Someone mentioned this earlier, but front offices around the league are infatuated with offensive guys who can call plays right now. I would still bet on Quinn getting a job, but it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't either.

Edit: I didn't see that he was returning. Very impressive.
AgBQ-00
AG
Head coach in waiting?
jr15aggie
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Wow. I thought for sure he was gone. Can't imagine why he'd want to come back instead of taking a HC gig

I've always said... there is NO reason why Dallas shouldn't have the best coaches every year. We are one of the wealthiest sport franchise in the entire world. The salary cap ensures that we cannot just buy the best players, but we can certainly money whip coaches!

No idea if that's the case here, but either way this is HUGE news.

Now... about that offensive coordinator position.
jr15aggie
AG
Macarthur said:

Just saw where D. Hopkins is due $19m in 23 and $15m in 24. That's just in time for you to have to give CD a big contract. I would love to take your chance with these two the next two seasons.

Assuming we have at least some cap money to play with... this team has to make a move on offense and it has to be right freaking now! Our current window is closing fast because 3 of our top 5 players on the team are on rookie deals (CD, Diggs, Parsons).

Trade some picks & spend some money right now to try and put us over the top. If you don't we can expect the exact same outcome next year!

This team is still viable. The O-line is in place and the QB is more than good enough to drive the bus with weapons / good coaching. The defense, especially with Quinn back, is good enough to win games. The ONLY thing this team is lacking to make a run are a couple more offensive weapons and a good gameplan.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Head coach in waiting?

I'm thinking secret handshake agreement between Jones Fam and Quinn.

McCarthy gets one more year and unless the defense totally craps out next year Quinn gets the next shot.

That said, I don't think its a foregone conclusion that Quinn was going to get hired away for sure. Maybe he didn't pass the interview process with other teams? Maybe teams want an offensive coach?

Regardless, its great news he's back and I'm hoping the team is considering a change with Moore at OC, but even if he comes back, if they make a couple of moves in the offseason they can be right back in the hunt again.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
jr15aggie said:

Macarthur said:

Just saw where D. Hopkins is due $19m in 23 and $15m in 24. That's just in time for you to have to give CD a big contract. I would love to take your chance with these two the next two seasons.

Assuming we have at least some cap money to play with... this team has to make a move on offense and it has to be right freaking now! Our current window is closing fast because 3 of our top 5 players on the team are on rookie deals (CD, Diggs, Parsons).

Trade some picks & spend some money right now to try and put us over the top. If you don't we can expect the exact same outcome next year!

This team is still viable. The O-line is in place and the QB is more than good enough to drive the bus with weapons / good coaching. The defense, especially with Quinn back, is good enough to win games. The ONLY thing this team is lacking to make a run are a couple more offensive weapons and a good gameplan.

I honestly just don't see the Jones family being aggressive with deals anymore. Their recent history says they will go low key and conservative with any and all moves.
jtstanley4621
AG
Kinda surprised to see Philbin not renewed. O-line was definitely a surprising bright spot this year
Macarthur
jr15aggie said:

Macarthur said:

You know, I'm tired of hearing that the cap is an issue. Other teams make deals and get better. I don't care about the cap. Make deals and improve this roster, esp at the top.

Think about CD, Hopkins and a Gallup that is two years removed from his ACL. Plus maybe add a guy in the draft. I also don't think the book should be closed on Tolbert.
jtstanley4621
AG
People like to pretend that this is a well run team until the truth comes out in the playoffs and heading into the offseason. We basically perpetually have cap and contract issues
BMX Bandit
Who thinks this is the well run team? Our complaints about GM Jerry consistent across the board?
Macarthur
The problem is that they're not a total disaster. They draft pretty well and outside of the Zeke deal, they've been pretty frugal.

They just can't help themselves though from making a critical error every so often. For example, the Zeke deal, waiting to sign Dak, trading Cooper for basically nothing and then doing nothing to replace him.

The biggest issue I have is not being aggresssive enough and strategic. They always want to seem to find bargains every offseason.
Tksymm7
AG
I think giving Cooper 20+ million per year can also be thrown into this, because it then lead to him needing to be traded. But you're right, for the most part they are well run. They just run themselves into a few critical errors that really keep them from their ultimate goal.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Mac your last 2 posts are both very good and accurate. Especially the part about making the critical errors in between some good moves.

I'm sick of seeing the cap cited every year as a reason they can't be bold. Other teams make it work yet Stephen "the Capologist" Jones is either too inept to or is helping the Jones family just pocket all the signing bonus money they are saving on by not grabbing more players in the offseason.
DannyDuberstein
AG
They got rid of 6 assistants but not the one that really needs to go
ramblin_ag02
AG
They had 20 million in cap space last year they didn't use. They saved it up for Gregory. When Jerry got left at the altar, he took his FA money and went home
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jr15aggie
AG
The one thing I'll say in a bit of defense for the Cowboys front office... they haven't exactly been lucky with many of their big splash moves.

As an example, the 49'ers traded 3/4 of their 2023 draft for a guy that in previous years could not stay healthy (played a total of 10 games in previous 2 years combined). Of course, he's been nothing but amazing for SF.

But if Jerry had made that trade, we would have called him a complete moron and I have NO doubt that CMC would have gone down with a major injury within 4 or 5 games of wearing the Star on his helmet.
Tksymm7
AG
Pretty interesting talking point I've seen discussed by a few guys now (Todd Archer, Calvin Watkins and Michael Gehlken), what would you do with Dak right now? Would you go ahead and extend him when his value is perhaps at an all time low, or go another direction?
DannyDuberstein
AG
I would probably go for extending 2 years. You've got cheap Parsons and cheap CD for a bit longer. You can't change directions now, that's a formula for being a crap team. And anything that can help protect space to eventually extend them can help. I would draft a mid-round QB every couple of years to see if I can hit a jackpot.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Tksymm7 said:

Pretty interesting talking point I've seen discussed by a few guys now (Todd Archer, Calvin Watkins and Michael Gehlken), what would you do with Dak right now? Would you go ahead and extend him when his value is perhaps at an all time low, or go another direction?
I'm not opposed, but you can't have another Romo situation. I'm convinced Romo's cap hits cost us a Super Bowl when Dak was on a rookie contract and the team was awesome. So whatever you do needs to be front loaded or at least not back loaded, and the signing bonus can't be huge. You don't want to stumble backwards into another good, cheap QB and still have Dak messing up the cap
Southlake
Some guys are great Assistants but not HCs.

Atlanta dropped him like a bad habit.

My guess is nobody really wanted him as a HC.
Southlake
Macarthur said:

How about Njigba & Achane?

Achane falls to the 3rd round??
ac04
achane is like 185-190 pounds, 3rd round would be a great outcome for him. JSN is not making it to 26.
jr15aggie
AG
ac04 said:

achane is like 185-190 pounds

So is Tyreek Hill.
jr15aggie
AG
So I heard Pollard had surgery... apparently not for the fracture which will heal on its own. Instead, it's for the high ankle sprain which apparently was pretty nasty.

Not being able to do much until training camp is a possibility. This could definitely effect his free agent situation, the asking price certainly doesn't go up with a wounded warrior.
Tksymm7
AG
jr15aggie said:

ac04 said:

achane is like 185-190 pounds

So is Tyreek Hill.
I wanted to point this out yesterday, but Tyreek has been a WR for pretty much all of his career, and although Achane can catch the ball, he's a true RB. Drafting a 5'9" WR if probably an easier sell than a 5'9" 185 lb RB. I think Achane will be a late second early third round guy.
Southlake
Achane = mid second round.

McAffery not much bigger. Achane can bulk up a bit after track season.
Tksymm7
AG
McCaffrey is 5'10", 205 lbs. I think Achane could do himself a lot of favors if he tried to mold his physical body after McCaffrey.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Achane is more Warrick Dunn. That guy ran between the tackles and was pretty much the same size as Achane.
ac04
since 2000, 31 running backs who weighed less than 190 pounds have entered the NFL draft. of those 31, these 9 were drafted:

i absolutely love achane personally and i'd probably rank him RB3 in this draft if i were a GM. but i am concerned actual NFL GMs will not because of his size.

if he is successful it will be because he bulked up or because he is a true outlier. which he may turn out to be due to his speed, i think he has a legit chance to break the 40 record at the combine.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think one of the main challenges that his size presents is protecting his qb from the blitz. It wasn't for lack of effort and he'd occasionally stuff one. But for the most part, he's a rag-doll
ac04
he's definitely not big enough to play center for kellen's brilliant trick plays.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.