*******Official Cowboys Offseason 2023*******

122,123 Views | 1943 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Vince Blake
Macarthur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Unless there's something there health wise on Pollard, I just don't see why you allocate those resources to Cook.
Txhuntr
AG
Exactly! Only one of cook or pollard can be on the field at a time. Cd, Hopkins, cooks, and Gallup can all be lined up together. Plus turbin and Vaughn can be productive if pollard needs a spell. I completely understand guys that don't want to spend the money on another offensive playmaker, but if you do, why on a rb when we already have one with competent backups?
Macarthur
Don't forget about Malik Davis and Ronald Jones.
jr15aggie
AG
Perhaps the best/smartest play is to save the cap money we have and see how the season goes.

If Pollard isn't right or gets hurt then we make a move (trade) for one. If Tyron gets another long term injury, we can trade for a Guard or Tackle.

I suppose there isn't a huge rush to do anything yet... wait and see if this team really is "one player away". For all we know, they could be terrible next year.
Southlake
Ag Natural said:

Southlake said:

CD = Miles Austin.

No to Hopkins. Cowboys will need the $ to shore up a questionable O-Line.

(Yup, there goes Southlake again complaining about lack of improvement to a possibly suspect o-line. Doesn't he know tha O-lines aren't very exciting?)

At this rate, we will be taking O linemen off the streets late in the season.
Who is the weak link? Every projection I see shows a really solid top 6 or 7. Yeah, injuries can happen but you can't plan to have 9-10 starting quality olinemen.
Have you seen Tyron Smiths injury record? And, take a look at every teams O-lines at the end of the season.
One reason KC lost to TB in the SB. 3 of their starters were out.

O-line players play almost every play and get hit every play.
Ag Natural
AG
Southlake said:

Ag Natural said:

Southlake said:

CD = Miles Austin.

No to Hopkins. Cowboys will need the $ to shore up a questionable O-Line.

(Yup, there goes Southlake again complaining about lack of improvement to a possibly suspect o-line. Doesn't he know tha O-lines aren't very exciting?)

At this rate, we will be taking O linemen off the streets late in the season.
Who is the weak link? Every projection I see shows a really solid top 6 or 7. Yeah, injuries can happen but you can't plan to have 9-10 starting quality olinemen.
Have you seen Tyron Smiths injury record? And, take a look at every teams O-lines at the end of the season.
One reason KC lost to TB in the SB. 3 of their starters were out.

O-line players play almost every play and get hit every play.
Sure. But what's your solution to this? Sign 10 veteran players and use 60% of your cap on the OL?

It more realistic to have a handle of young developmental guys going into the season and count on your coaching to get them ready if they're needed.
Macarthur
Macarthur said:

Unless there's something there health wise on Pollard, I just don't see why you allocate those resources to Cook.

I still think Davis has something...

98Ag99Grad
AG
he looked good in limited action. definitely not some scrub.
zgolfz85
AG
I still have some very real dreams for deuce vaughn. I get the size, but I just don't think you can produce that much in college and not have that translate into the pros. I get the knocks on him, but holy hell...that dude was unstoppable in college. I love bowling ball rbs
jr15aggie
AG
Yep, I have high hopes for Davis and Vaughn, we'll just need to see it. My hope is that, if these guys ball out in camp/pre-season, we give them the chance instead of automatically tagging Ronald Jones as our #2 back because he's a vet.

I know there's a lot more to RB than just running ability, but I want the guys on the field making splash plays. And as it was said above, Deuce Vaughn certainly did a ton of that in college. I'd love to see that translate into the NFL right away.

PS: Can't forget about Rico Dowdle as well... Cowboys love that guy. Will definitely be plenty of competition at RB.
Southlake
jr15aggie said:

Yep, I have high hopes for Davis and Vaughn, we'll just need to see it. My hope is that, if these guys ball out in camp/pre-season, we give them the chance instead of automatically tagging Ronald Jones as our #2 back because he's a vet.

I know there's a lot more to RB than just running ability, but I want the guys on the field making splash plays. And as it was said above, Deuce Vaughn certainly did a ton of that in college. I'd love to see that translate into the NFL right away.

PS: Can't forget about Rico Dowdle as well... Cowboys love that guy. Will definitely be plenty of competition at RB.
It's all about the pass blocking and ability to play special teams. With limited roster space, do you think the cowboys will keep two kick returners? Especially now the the KO return is even more limited?
wangus12
AG
I'm very curious to see Ronald Jones play. I see him 1-2x per week because his parents live like 6 houses down from us in McKinney.

He looks to be in insane shape and is huge.

Plus he's gonna need to make more money. Between his parents and himself, he's got over 15% of his lifetime earnings wrapped up in badass cars
Macarthur
I think he's a great depth piece. I wouldn't want to go into a season expecting him to be my RB1, but that's not what we are asking if him.
Big_Time_Timmy_Jim
Prob took over Zeke's short yardage role. TP, Davis and mix in Duece. Pretty solid core if he has anything left in the tank.
Agristotle
AG
Jones is interesting. Is he washed or is he fresh?
jr15aggie
AG
Agristotle said:

Jones is interesting. Is he washed or is he fresh?

He's not washed, but he's nothing special. He's Alfred Morris when we had him a few years ago... solid pro who can give you some good reps and do some good things, but he's not going to put us over the top.
Southlake
Question is: is he worth the roster spot?

It would be nice with a 17 game season if teams could have 5 extra guys.

$$$
jr15aggie
AG
I went into the draft thinking his roster spot was not secured. It's why I wanted Gibbs so badly, I didn't feel like our RB room had enough juice. Vaughn certainly has it, we just have to wait and see if his size/game translates to the NFL. I'm optimistic it will and he will be a bright spot for us next year.

I'm hoping that Jones gets cut, because that means Pollard, Vaughn, Davis & Dowdle are doing great things.
Big_Time_Timmy_Jim
Some of these guys are gonna have to play special teams to make the squad
Txhuntr
AG
I always forget about Jones when discussing the rb room because we have guys that I'm actually excited can succeed pollard after this year. I'll be a little surprised if he's on the roster at the end of camp.
jr15aggie
AG
Big_Time_Timmy_Jim said:

Some of these guys are gonna have to play special teams to make the squad

Exactly why I'd prefer it if Jones were beat out by these younger guys that would play ST. Pollard is 100% off that duty now (pretty sure he was last year too).
beagle2009
AG
Txhuntr
AG
beagle2009 said:

Front office making all the right moves this off-season
jr15aggie
AG
Was the right move for Pollard as well. The ONLY way for any RB to make 10 million dollars in a season right now is to either sign a franchise tag or sign a new contract which might net you 10 mill in year 1 if you include the signing bonus. But after all that, 5 million is going to be the ~ range of average salaries for most "good" NFL RBs.

With this deal he can make 10 this year and then make another 10ish next year when he signs a new deal with whoever. The ONLY downside for Pollard is injury risk, otherwise this is a big win for him!

PS: The guy has made just shy of $4 million in his career, pretty sure he's more than OK with this!
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Glad the Cowboys didn't give him a long term deal.

At the same time I'm glad Pollard getting $10mm next season. Dude has been so good to Dallas and I want him to bank big before his RB legs and body give way to father time .
Vince Blake
PatAg
AG
He's obviously awesome, maybe he does have the power in this situation...
But he chose the security of a longer contract, this is the downside
12thMan9
AG
PatAg said:

He's obviously awesome, maybe he does have the power in this situation...
But he chose the security of a longer contract, this is the downside
This is true. But didn't the Cowboys ask him to restructure?

Sometimes it's not clear cut who is wrong/greedy/stingy/etc.
Ronnie '88
jr15aggie
AG
Pretty sure he did restructure. Didn't really change the money of his contract, but he got to pocket a huge chunk of change in the form of a signing bonus right away (instead of having to earn most of it via weekly game checks) and the Cowboys got to free up cap space.

Not sure how all of that would factor into a new deal, but I do know this... we better enjoy the next couple of seasons and hope we get something major accomplished, because they have been restructuring fools and at some point very soon it's all going to hit the cap in a very ugly way!
PatAg
AG
And paying him for past ability for future years could get us stuck with a big contract if he were to decline sharply.
Personally, the guy is a beast and I'd pay him to keep him happy
jr15aggie
AG
Yep, he's been a rock. Always available and plays at a high level. Safe to say his "prime" is probably just about used up, but when o-line guys stay healthy those monsters can play, and play very well, into in their late 30's.

Need to pay the guy.
TyHolden
AG

jr15aggie
AG
Cowboys related because he was a possible draft pick option for us... Rookie WR Jordan Addison was pulled over driving 140 MPH in a Lamborghini in a 55 MPH zone.

Yep, looks like he's 100% focused on his career and ready for his 1st training camp!
gigem1223
The cowboys and CB Trevon Diggs have agreed to terms on a 5-year contract extension worth $97M as he becomes one of the highest paid CBs in the NFL, sources say. He gets a max value of $104M.

$42.3 M guaranteed
ChoppinDs40
AG
poor signing... dude didn't tackle and now he definitely won't.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.