*******Official Cowboys Offseason 2023*******

122,188 Views | 1943 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Vince Blake
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ronald Jones's parents live right down the street from us
Macarthur
Broaddus likes this kid....

jr15aggie
AG
Woods Ag said:

The cowboys better not draft a RB with their 1st again... my goodness it was a bad call to draft Zeke. He was a cancer from Go.

Those 1,993 yards he got as a rookie... 1,252 in a BS suspension 2nd year... and 2,001 in his 3rd year were terrible. Yep, what a cancer from Go he was!

Quote:

And for goodness sakes please dont re-up Dak. He's terrible, always been terrible
Oh, crap... you're trolling. Sorry I wasted my time posting about the Zeke stuff... I thought your post was serious football talk!

Nevermind.... lol.... good one!!!
Big_Time_Timmy_Jim
Resigned Dante Fowler on a 1 year deal.

Next up Hankins.
TyHolden
AG
Macarthur said:

Broaddus likes this kid....

He's always available around 5th pick.....first time I've ever gotten A's all around

Vince Blake
Dorian Williams is my pet cat in the draft. Maybe a little undersized but if you watch his tape the kid is just a pure football player.

Also, thoughts and prayers to Brad Sham if we draft Kuntz. You know thats a slip-up waiting to happen.
Ag Natural
AG
Tksymm7 said:

I think the market needs to be reset for RB's. RB's need to understand their position and its value, and come to terms with it. The salary cap is certainly going up, but there isn't a single RB that is worth more than $10 million per year. To take the 3x15 example above, Pollard should recognize his positional value and sign that deal because he's likely not going to get more than that on an open market. The chances of him playing on the tag this year and then signing a 3x15 type of deal next year feels like snowballs chance in hell.

You can't say never. It is possible to have a special RB be a huge part of your offense. But I would agree that you shouldn't sign them to long term deals, especially before you have to. I thought the way the Titans handled Hemry was smart. He seems to agree to big two year deals at a time.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Ag Natural said:

Tksymm7 said:

I think the market needs to be reset for RB's. RB's need to understand their position and its value, and come to terms with it. The salary cap is certainly going up, but there isn't a single RB that is worth more than $10 million per year. To take the 3x15 example above, Pollard should recognize his positional value and sign that deal because he's likely not going to get more than that on an open market. The chances of him playing on the tag this year and then signing a 3x15 type of deal next year feels like snowballs chance in hell.

You can't say never. It is possible to have a special RB be a huge part of your offense. But I would agree that you shouldn't sign them to long term deals, especially before you have to. I thought the way the Titans handled Hemry was smart. He seems to agree to big two year deals at a time.

Pollard is never signing 3 for 15. He's getting 10-11 this year alone on the tag, so it makes no sense at all for him to sign 3/15. He'd rather play out the tag and then sign a deal afterward.

I think running backs typically aren't worth much. But pollard is the kind of back who is worth something if we use him right (including in the passing game). We saw how much more dynamic our offense was with pollard on the field last year. I'd be fine giving him something like 3/21 or 3/24, which he may actually consider depending on the guarantees. But I'm also fine with letting him play out the tag.

Miles sanders got 4/25 and David Montgomery got 3/16. Pollard would have gotten more than both of those guys.
Macarthur
mavsfan4ever said:

Ag Natural said:

Tksymm7 said:

Pollard is never signing 3 for 15. He's getting 10-11 this year alone on the tag, so it makes no sense at all for him to sign 3/15. He'd rather play out the tag and then sign a deal afterward.

I think running backs typically aren't worth much. But pollard is the kind of back who is worth something if we use him right (including in the passing game). We saw how much more dynamic our offense was with pollard on the field last year. I'd be fine giving him something like 3/21 or 3/24, which he may actually consider depending on the guarantees. But I'm also fine with letting him play out the tag.

Miles sanders got 4/25 and David Montgomery got 3/16. Pollard would have gotten more than both of those guys.

If the 15 is guaranteed it does it might. Keep in mind, he's coming off a major injury.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Signing a 1/4 or 1/5 next year is worst case scenario in my opinion. Even if he gets injured again, I'd expect him to get that or more. So signing a 3/15 does nothing for him. 2/15 is his worst case scenario if he signs the tag. And 3/15 seriously hampers his upside earning potential for 3 years. So there is not a chance in hell he or his agent would consider 3/15 in my opinion. At least I wouldn't if I were them.
Macarthur
I'm sure he and his agent think he's worth more than that and they're prob right, but the RB market is weird.
Woods Ag
AG
Zeke had some early years that were great. Not above expectation with the pick we used on him, but the offense was geared towards running Zeke. Then somewhere along the lines he stopped trying to grab extra yards and settles for whatever he can dive for, and we still paid him and continued to pay him to do a subpar job for years.

I'm glad he was productive for a couple of years - but - he was also on the front page of everything all the itme because he wasn't a pro. He was partying instead of training. "Fat Zeke" remember? So while he was young and behind that OL with that much usage he looked great for a short while.

Dak has made his stats in garbage time the past few years. It's no longer a hot take to say Dak is a game manager at best. He makes terrible decisions, he's inaccurate, and he doesn't run anymore. He was best when we had a committed and motivated Zeke behind an all-world OL and an OC that wanted to run the ball. That time is long gone. Both of them need to be gone, but like a real fan you're a true believer in your QB. Must be the coaches or something else.
Macarthur
I pretty much disagree with everything you just said.
Woods Ag
AG
It's clear as day to me, but we all see things differently.

I want to believe it'll get better every year and every year he rips my heart out with horrible play. Kellen Moore did him no favors either. That guy was terrible.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I was skeptical when we drafted him, but Zeke completely justified his high draft pick with his early performance. Knowing what we know now, I think every GM in the league takes Zeke that high. Also knowing what we know, I hope every GM in the league would let him sit and walk after holding out to renegotiate his rookie contract early. He only had one good year after that and then fell off a cliff. Maybe it was wear and tear, or maybe he got paid and stopped caring. I don't fault a man for trying to get paid, but he kneecapped the team in the process.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Tksymm7
AG
I think there are some valid points in your post and some that aren't as true. Zeke for instance didn't just choose to not be good anymore. I do think he got out of shape and lost sight of the goal for a few years there, but the past couple of years he's been in shape and worked really hard for the Cowboys. Zeke had some real injuries the past 3 years and some change that I believe really took it out of him. He's just never been the same since he injured his knee and his ankle.

On Dak, I do think his decision making is a real concern. Not only this past season, but going back a few years, his choices on when and where to throw the ball have been suspect at times. I think Dak's issue is his consistent inconsistency. His ceiling is the game against the Bucs where he's probably a top 5-8 QB, but his floor is the Niners game where he's like the number 20 QB or worse, and you just cannot have that big of a swing between games. Now, if we can run the ball better and surround him with better talent, I think we can get to an NFC championship game and possibly a SB, I just don't know if we can't win one because it's proven time and time again that you need moments of individual brilliance from your QB to win championships.
jr15aggie
AG
Thing about Zeke... he got a junk ton of carries in college too. It's why I want no part of that RB from UCLA in the draft... they ran him and ran him some more.

It defintely matters. Part of the reason why Pollard was so good in year 4... he was never the bell cow in college and very much limited I'm the NFL as well. That changes for him next year!
Woods Ag
AG
I like what they've done in FA so far with filling needs. Cooks is talented but he can't seem to find a home anywhere which makes me think he needs more attention than he's worth, but for the discounted deal we might as well take a flyer on him. Gallup is a stud adn will return to form in the 2nd year back and CD is good enough to be our 1.

We could take whatever we have as the best player available as long as it's not another RB..

I agree with alot of what you said, Tksymm7. Dak maybe can get us to the conf championship with a great supporting cast which I think he mostly has but he's not a winning QB that can make the plays needed.. He won't ever be that guy and it was demonstrated the final play the last 2 years. The scramble up the middle might be the dumbest play I've ever seen and perfectly highlights why he won't ever win. And then the Zeke snap wasn't his call, but he should have gone to the sideline and beat Kellen Moore's ass as soon as it came in. Fitting that it occurred with highlighting these 2.
Southlake
I'm still concerned about Pollards injury. No guarantee he comes back like he was.

RBs are plug n play anymore.

Could prolly get Miles Sanders or a similiar vet RB for a song and focus on linemen in the draft.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, the tag decision on Pollard has been made, but I would not guarantee multi-year money for him. I was open to the idea prior to the injury because he's extremely low miles in college and pro. But now I believe the tag and postpone a decision to after 2023 is the move
ramblin_ag02
AG
I'm fine with the Pollard tag. I don't think committing to a RB after their rookie contract is a good idea ever. The drop off is always so sudden, unexpected, and steep, unless you have Emmitt or Adrian Peterson. They basically go from all pro level to practice squad level overnight with no warning
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Macarthur
I don't think you can say ever. Assuming his injury is healed, Pollard has very low mileage on his body and I would be more than comfortable committing to 3 more years at the right price.

And let's not forget, Pollard is diff. His explosiveness is elite. In that sense, he's very very underrated by the league because the cowboys didn't use him enough.
Ag Natural
AG
I've spoken to so many folks who think Dak sucks and will never win. He needs a breakout playoff year. Because the fact is he's not more or less consistent than all but maybe Mahomes. Every other guy has had just as many wtf games as Dak over the last two seasons. He'll, even Mahomes had that head scratcher in 2021 against the Bengals.
jr15aggie
AG
Ag Natural said:

I've spoken to so many folks who think Dak sucks and will never win.

We all have people like this in our lives. My best friend / brother-in-law is like this and has been since the Romo era. He's also a Red Raider which makes his constant gushing over Mahomes that much more unbearable.

Cowboys lose it's all because of Dak... Chiefs lose it's because they didn't block for Mahomes!

I can't eye roll big enough!!!!
Woods Ag
AG

So then who's fault is it that we got beat by Brock Purdy in the playoffs? The year prior.. who's fault is it the game ended the way it did?

The team is good... They have pieces all over the place to win. If they had a QB that could drive the bus we'd win playoff games. We don't win playoff games because Dak is in over his head. I'm happy he's a great guy and a good leader and whatever other accolades you want to give him, but he can't elevate anyone's game around him on top of the fact that he's prone to make boneheaded plays in crucial moments because the moments are too big for him.

It's plain as day to see - we will never compete for a super bowl with Dak Prescott running the show unless the defense is historically good, and we play ball control football so Dak can't mess it up.
Woods Ag
AG
Here's a list of QBs by tiers (my tiers)... You're telling me he's as consistent as everyone of these except Mahomes?

Tier 1 - Super Heroes
Patrick Mahomes
Joe Burrow

Tier 2 - Lead/Elevate a team
Justin Herbert
Josh Allen
Jalen Hurts
Lamar Jackson

Tier 3 - Serviceable - Can win you a title with a good team.
Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Matthew Stafford

Tier 4 - Potentially Great
Trevor Lawerence
Tua Tagovailoa
Deshaun Watson - All potential at this point (Can he get back to what he was)

Tier 5 - We need an upgrade or development if we want to win.
Jared Goff
Geno Smith
Dak Prescott
Justin Fields
Brock Purdy
Kyler Murray
Kirk Cousins
Daniel Jones
Ryan Tannehill
Derek Carr
Russell Wilson - Maybe he can climb back to seriviceable.

Ahh FML Tier
Kenny Pickett
Andy Dalton
Sam Darnold
Marcus Mariota
Mac Jones
Taylor Heinicke
Matt Ryan
Davis Mills
Zach Wilson
Ag Natural
AG
Woods Ag said:

So then who's fault is it that we got beat by Brock Purdy in the playoffs? The year prior.. who's fault is it the game ended the way it did?

The team is good... They have pieces all over the place to win. If they had a QB that could drive the bus we'd win playoff games. We don't win playoff games because Dak is in over his head. I'm happy he's a great guy and a good leader and whatever other accolades you want to give him, but he can't elevate anyone's game around him on top of the fact that he's prone to make boneheaded plays in crucial moments because the moments are too big for him.

It's plain as day to see - we will never compete for a super bowl with Dak Prescott running the show unless the defense is historically good, and we play ball control football so Dak can't mess it up.

This is exactly the problem. He hasn't done it yet so you have decided that it will never and can't ever happen. There's a long history of NFL QBs getting better with age and experience. And to my point, the only current NFL QBs who have won a SB are Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers and Stafford. Does anyone think Stafford was destined to win? And Wilson won in year 2 and has been terrible later in his career. This psychological analysis BS is just that, BS. I think there are many QBs who are capable of putting together a playoff run under the right circumstances. Dak is one of them. Yeah he needs a good team around him just like everyone else.
Macarthur
There are a couple of factors in the SF game. CD was the only real threat they had in the passing game. When a team is bringing in ancient guys like TY Hilton in the middle of the season, that should tell you something. When Brown is your 3rd best option, you have one of the worst WR corps in the NFL. That's a fact.

Second, Pollard getting hurt really killed the offensive gameplan. He was the only other expolsive player outside of CD and that allowed SF to clamp down on CD and dare you to beat them with a mid-Gallup and an ancent TY Hilton.

The Dallas WR corp scared NO ONE outside of CD. There's plenty of clips on twitter, SF bracketed him every play and the offense was toast.

Now, Dak did have an up and down season, but I also think the broken thumb might have had something to do with some of that. Dak has to be better, but you also have to give him more weapons than CD Lamb. I mean, go look at what Hurts had to work with in Philly. Dallas' skill positions weren't even close to thiers, especially once Pollard went down.
Ag Natural
AG
Woods Ag said:

Here's a list of QBs by tiers (my tiers)... You're telling me he's as consistent as everyone of these except Mahomes?

Tier 1 - Super Heroes
Patrick Mahomes
Joe Burrow

Justin Herbert
Josh Allen
Jalen Hurts
Lamar Jackson

Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Matthew Stafford

Trevor Lawerence
Tua Tagovailoa

Jared Goff
Geno Smith
Dak Prescott
Justin Fields
Brock Purdy
Kyler Murray
Kirk Cousins
Daniel Jones
Ryan Tannehill
Derek Carr

Ahh FML Tier
Kenny Pickett
Andy Dalton
Sam Darnold
Marcus Mariota
Mac Jones
Taylor Heinicke
Matt Ryan
Davis Mills
Zach Wilson

I find it interesting that you give a pass to Herbert, Jackson and Allen who have wet the bed several times in the playoffs. Yeah I'd probably take them over Dak but that's based solely on talent. They haven't done anything significant yet.
Macarthur
Woods Ag said:

Tier 1 - Super Heroes
Patrick Mahomes
Joe Burrow

Justin Herbert
Josh Allen
Jalen Hurts
Lamar Jackson

Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Matthew Stafford

Trevor Lawerence
Tua Tagovailoa

Jared Goff
Geno Smith
Dak Prescott
Justin Fields
Brock Purdy
Kyler Murray
Kirk Cousins
Daniel Jones
Ryan Tannehill
Derek Carr

Ahh FML Tier
Kenny Pickett
Andy Dalton
Sam Darnold
Marcus Mariota
Mac Jones
Taylor Heinicke
Matt Ryan
Davis Mills
Zach Wilson

Lots of problems with this list...
Macarthur
No way I take Jackson over Dak now. Maybe 4 years ago, but not now.
Woods Ag
AG
The problem with Jackson is you have to build your whole team around him. He's not my cup of tea either, but I trust him more than I trust Dak when I need a QB to go win me a game. Or at the very least - don't lose it.
Woods Ag
AG
You're right.. Especially Allen has some "wtf" in his system too... but man I've seen him carry his team too. I never see Dak carrying his team. He can light it up when its over tho.

You can have bad playoff games. You can't have "I don't know what I am doing, I'm freaking out man!" moments. I can't recall any of those with Herbert and Jackson, but I am not claiming to watch every game. Herbert has stupid talent and Jackson just seems to be something special with way worse offensive talent than Dak has.
Macarthur
Woods Ag said:

The problem with Jackson is you have to build your whole team around him. He's not my cup of tea either, but I trust him more than I trust Dak when I need a QB to go win me a game. Or at the very least - don't lose it.

Not me.

Regular Season
Dak Prescott - 166 TDs 65 INTs Rating 97.8
Lamar Jackson - 101 TDs 38 INTs Rating 96.7

Playoffs
Dak - 11 TDs 5 INTs Rating 92.3
Lamar - 3 TDs 5 INTs Rating 68.3

I don't think most people realize that Dak hasn't been bad in the playoffs.

Outside of Lamar's one MVP year, he's been pretty slightly above average.
Woods Ag
AG
Yeah, maybe Hurts and Jackson down a tier. I did the list quickly.

Doesn't change my opinion on Dak.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.