***DALLAS COWBOYS 2019 SEASON***

293,558 Views | 3256 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by double aught
diehard03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

once you figure out a coach isn't the right guy you have to move on ASAP. you don't know yet whether the next hire is the right coach, but you know for sure that the current one isn't. cut bait and start over.

This always sounds good, but useless activity if you are unwilling to change to get the top tier guys there.
diehard03
Quote:

Brett Beleima is the answer. The genius behind the pat's D and jerrah's drinking buddy.

You're missing the winky face. Everyone whos ever been a fan of a Beleima-led team has said the same things of him people say of Garrett.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Garrett is defending the late field goal. It's okay to be wrong, but being stubborn and wrong is a guarantee of future failure
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DannyDuberstein
AG
The overlooked part is that if you fail, you've still got the Pats at least pinned around their 10 and playing into a stiff wind. Robot Garrett just computes "hey 4th and 7 is hard and I need 2 scores to win anyway". But that ignores so many other factors that point toward going for it being the best move.
Southlake
It's not Garrett, it's Jerry.

Bring in another coach; nothing will change...
Grapesoda2525
Garrett is in the top 5 of NFL coaches in tenure. The other 4 all have Super Bowls. Cowboys need to change coaches more than any other team in the league. We just need Jerry to see it and I know Jerry is pretty blind when it comes to stuff like this.
ramblin_ag02
AG
The worst part is that he's only looking at the odds on 4th and 7. He should have been in 4 down territory from the moment they crossed midfield. I bet he doesn't throw 3 low percentage passes into the endzone if he's thinking about going for it the whole time. He was playing for the field goal basically the whole drive and hoping they got lucky and got a touchdown instead. That's not how professional football works, especially on the road, in bad weather, against the best defense in the NFL.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
diehard03
Quote:

We just need Jerry to see it and I know Jerry is pretty blind when it comes to stuff like this.

Jerry's not an idiot. He's only frustrated because he will have to stop doing some "Jerry" things if he wants a better coach to come in.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yep, they needed to be in 4 down territory that entire time, yet didn't manage 3rd down that way.
diehard03
Quote:

The worst part is that he's only looking at the odds on 4th and 7. He should have been in 4 down territory from the moment they crossed midfield. I bet he doesn't throw 3 low percentage passes into the endzone if he's thinking about going for it the whole time. He was playing for the field goal basically the whole drive and hoping they got lucky and got a touchdown instead. That's not how professional football works, especially on the road, in bad weather, against the best defense in the NFL.

This is the right criticism. I actually have sympathy for Garrett taking a FG on 4th and 7. Not all 4th and 7s are created equal and this one had a short field due to the end zone and the weather conditions.

The issue is the choices leading up to the 4th and 7. They absolutely should have called better plays with the expectation of going for it on 4th.
jeffdjohnson
On the bright side the Eagles lost yesterday which makes the playoff path surprisingly clear with 5 games left. Most of it hinges on the Eagles/Cowboys match up on 12/22.

Least Likely Playoff Scenario: The Eagles beat the Cowboys but fall apart versus the bad teams (Redskins/Giants/Miami). In this case If the Eagles only win 2 (or fewer) against those **** teams then they are only 8-8 (or worse). The Cowboys would have tie-breaker advantage due to divisional record and would only need 8 wins to make the playoffs. In other words, the Cowboys would only need to win 1 out of Bills/Bears/Rams plus the Redskins game at home. This is by far the best case and while it isn't unrealistic, I just don't see the Eagles losing 2 of those games.

Most Likely Playoff Scenario: The Cowboys beat the Eagles and then only need to get to 9-7 to win the division. In this case the Eagles maximum record is 9-7 even if they win all 4 versus the bad teams left on their schedule. So the Cowboys would only need to get to 9-7 as well because then they would have the head to head tiebreaker. So just like the first scenario they only need to win 1 out of Bills/Bears/Rams plus the Redskins game.

In some ways, the next 3 games don't really matter that much individually. They just need to win 1 of them to force an effective winner take all Week 16 game. Having said that, I'm still hoping for a complete Eagles collapse.
MooreTrucker
AG
Southlake said:

I don't think you can realistically say that anymore. He's already ceded some control to Stephen and others. The leopard CAN change his spots.
diehard03
Quote:

I don't think you can realistically say that anymore. He's already ceded some control to Stephen and others. The leopard CAN change his spots.

Can he do what Kraft did and give total control over to someone else? I don't think so...
MooreTrucker
AG
Total control? Probably not. ENOUGH control, yeah, I think (hope) so.
DannyDuberstein
AG
He's given up most of the power and is largely just a figurehead voice at this point, although I'm sure he has input into major decisions (coaching changes, big trades). But we already know of major decisions involving 1st round picks (like wanting to draft Johnny) where he got kiboshed by Stephen and Will McClay. And that was years ago.

This is pretty much Stephen and Will McClay's ship and has been some time.
diehard03
Quote:

Total control? Probably not. ENOUGH control, yeah, I think (hope) so.

Then you're stuck playing "hot coordinator" lottery like the rest of the league. This seems bad with the added pressure of being the Dallas Cowboys.
diehard03
Quote:

He's given up most of the power and is largely just a figurehead voice at this point, although I'm sure he has input into major decisions (coaching changes, big trades). But we already know of major decisions involving 1st round picks (like wanting to draft Johnny) where he got kiboshed by Stephen and Will McClay. And that was years ago.

This is pretty much Stephen and Will McClay's ship and has been some time.

Then whos decision was it to pay Zeke. And why can't they tell Jerry to stop negotiating through the media and making their jobs more difficult? Whos decision was it to let their head coach twist in the wind in the final year of a contract? I'm sure every potential replacement is taking note of all this.
Ag Natural
AG
I think Garrett has quite a bit of influence across the board as well. That's why I could see him taking a front office position.
PooDoo
AG
McCarthy bringing in a jeweler to size the players for their Superbowl rings before the walkthrough was some Jimmy level mindgames/motivation.

Only thing I don't like about him are his exotropic eyes... but I think his burning desire to beat A-Rod and the Packers would be enough for me to overlook that, so to speak.
BMX Bandit
Nice work Moore

Southlake
MooreTrucker said:

Southlake said:

I don't think you can realistically say that anymore. He's already ceded some control to Stephen and others. The leopard CAN change his spots
No, he hasn't. He can say all he wants that he's ceded control, but the results remain the same.

You can tell your children all day that they can make their own decisions- as long as you agree to them...
DannyDuberstein
AG
Stephen didn't let him draft Johnny. Stephen didn't let him trade the picks they eventually used on Malik Collins and Jaylon Smith to trade up for Paxton Lynch. All the word is Jerry would have done both and got overruled.
Daveintx
How many GM's get over 20 years worth of passes
PooDoo
AG
Daveintx said:

How many GM's get over 20 years worth of passes

The ones that own the team.
jr15aggie
AG
I'll interject some actual football talk if I may:

Our biggest issue all year, and some of us have started preaching it in recent weeks, is field position.

Cowboys avg starting position: Their own 21 yard line.
Patriots avg starting position: Their own 41.

We spotted them an extra 20 friggin yards on every friggin drive (on average). Amazing we were still in it at the end. And this is the story line for pretty much every single game (Philly is the only exception I can think of).

Turnovers and constantly losing the special teams game... all year long. Specifically: defense isn't forcing enough 3 & outs and rarely force a turnover in the other teams territory (hell, they rarely force turnovers period)... on special teams we are constantly giving up yards covering kicks and yet we get absolutely NOTHING in our own return game.
jr15aggie
AG
And here's something that should make your furious:

The number of tripping penalties called all year long for the ENTIRE league prior to Sunday: 5

The number called against Dallas Sunday: 2

I'll channel my inner Australian: Bloody hell mate!
PatAg
AG
BMX Bandit said:

PatAg said:

I do enjoy the Patriots CB running his mouth about "shutting down Cooper". The Cooper that is clearly playing hurt, in a game featuring torrential downpours and violently gusting wins. If there is any justice in the world, we meet them in the super bowl and Cooper torches his ass
that torrential downpour and violent gusting winds didn't stop other receivers from actually making catches and contributing to their team.

Cooper was shut down.
I guess you missed the part where he is clearly hurt, and has been for a few games.
diehard03
Quote:

Our biggest issue all year, and some of us have started preaching it in recent weeks, is field position.

It's a symptom for sure. Dallas is dead last in average starting field percentage. They are 4th in the league in average points per drive, however. Their red zone efficiency is "eh", but so are a lot of good teams (NE is god awful, but first in average starting position)

This game, seems to be a microcosm of their woes: 9 points on 321 yards of offense. To put that in perspective, GB went for 335 against the Cowboys and scored 24.
Ag12thman
AG
Quote:

We spotted them an extra 20 friggin yards on every friggin drive (on average). Amazing we were still in it at the end. And this is the story line for pretty much every single game (Philly is the only exception I can think of).

I was listening to a broadcast on SiriusXM when it happened, but you should have heard the commentary on the sequence where the freaking punt team handed the Patriots an extra 10 yards (and that was AFTER the OL held and pushed them to 3rd and long instead of short on 3rd down) due to penalties, motion, etc (I forget what all happened, it was so much). As soon as the punt finally happened, a commentator said "the Cowboys just handed the Patriots 20 YARDS in field position AND Jason Garrett is standing there smiling and clapping."
jr15aggie
AG
I didn't listen to Jerry's post game interviews... but people that have worked for the organization for the past 10 years said they have never heard him sound like (in recent years that is). They said it was obvious his demeanor was noticeably different.

Take that for what it is, but IMO, something snapped on Sunday and it was clear to Jerry that he has to fire Jason. From a personal level it's not something he wants to do or looks forward to and it showed after the game. That and I'm sure he was also pissed like the rest of us.

This is Jason's last year guys so don't worry. We can debate all we want about "unless he gets to the Super Bowl"... it's NOT happening so we don't need to worry ourselves. At the most we make the playoffs thanks to a terrible division and we might even win a game with our talent, but that's the extent of it (again).
Grapesoda2525
jr15aggie said:

I didn't listen to Jerry's post game interviews... but people that have worked for the organization for the past 10 years said they have never heard him sound like (in recent years that is). They said it was obvious his demeanor was noticeably different.

Take that for what it is, but IMO, something snapped on Sunday and it was clear to Jerry that he has to fire Jason. From a personal level it's not something he wants to do or looks forward to and it showed after the game. That and I'm sure he was also pissed like the rest of us.

This is Jason's last year guys so don't worry. We can debate all we want about "unless he gets to the Super Bowl"... it's NOT happening so we don't need to worry ourselves. At the most we make the playoffs thanks to a terrible division and we might even win a game with our talent, but that's the extent of it (again).
I'm going to go ahead and say it. I don't care if people get mad and criticize me.

Jerry Jones is PISSED right now. For that very reason, I hope the bills win on Thursday. Jerry isn't going to cool down before the bills game, a loss to Buffalo might send him over the edge and he can finally realize what most knowledgeable cowboy fans noticed about 6 years ago. GARRETT NEEDS TO GO.

Garrett is a good coach if your organization has a bad team and just wants to avoid getting blown out, but he's an awful coach to have in competitive games where the margin of error is razor thin. We need to embrace analytics. We need a smart coaching staff. Coaching needs to quit being a major disadvantage. I haven't really seen games the last few years where we have won by out coaching teams.
MooreTrucker
AG
Ag12thman said:

Quote:

I was listening to a broadcast on SiriusXM when it happened, but you should have heard the commentary on the sequence where the freaking punt team handed the Patriots an extra 10 yards (and that was AFTER the OL held and pushed them to 3rd and long instead of short on 3rd down) due to penalties, motion, etc (I forget what all happened, it was so much). As soon as the punt finally happened, a commentator said "the Cowboys just handed the Patriots 20 YARDS in field position AND Jason Garrett is standing there smiling and clapping."
One shot on the tv as the team was coming off after a failed 3rd down showed JG clap clap clapping then tried to slap hands with Dak, who completely ignored him and walked on past.
Ag Natural
AG
That play was the Cowboys in a not shell under Garrett. We lined up to punt and NE didnt put anyone back to receive. They also left our gunner on the outside completely uncovered. Instead of taking advantage of the situation by either kicking it quick with no return man OR God forbid tossing it out to try and pick up a 1st down... our guys stood around looking confused until the clock ran down. 5 yard penalty. Then on the next try we have multiple guys in motion at the snap. 5 more yards. What made it worse was the kick made it to the 10 or so. The rekick only made it to the 30. Hence 20 yards.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Garrett is gone barring some miracle to close out this stretch.

This team has talent. The talent is NOT overrated imho. Personnel wise, its a top 4 team in the league imho. Dak is actually playing really well. Romo usually played really well. The one constant on that sideline to them not winning titles.....Garrett. Its just unfortunate that Garrett was the coach when Romo was around. Romo possibly coulda won a title with a better leader on the sidelines.
2ndGen87
AG
2-5 against non conference teams.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.