***DALLAS COWBOYS 2019 SEASON***

287,364 Views | 3256 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by double aught
Ag Natural
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agnzona said:

The people who said you don't give Zeke the big contract because he is a running back are going to be proven absolutely correct. The position is interchangeable. And while a few are significant upgrades over the mean that significance last only a few years. Dak should have been the priority this off season and Zeke should have been told unequivocally we are not even talking to you until next year.

Well then Zeke was pretty smart in the way he pushed for the new contract this year and not waiting. Theres no doubt a few guys were higher priority.
"Always you have to contend with the stupidity of men." - Henry D. Thoreau
ApachePilot
AG
DSAg44 said:

Agnzona said:

The people who said you don't give Zeke the big contract because he is a running back are going to be proven absolutely correct. The position is interchangeable. And while a few are significant upgrades over the mean that significance last only a few years. Dak should have been the priority this off season and Zeke should have been told unequivocally we are not even talking to you until next year.
but then jerrah would have excuses for jg. now, there are none.

That's a bold strategy
NukeAg10
AG
Typical start.
investorAg83
AG
Waste. Of ****ing. Money.
Fannie Luddite
AG
That is why we drafted Pollard folks. TD Cowboys.
gigem1223
Hope we get this same Brady next week. He looks terrible.
Ag Natural
AG
gigem1223 said:

Hope we get this same Brady next week. He looks terrible.

No kidding. The Pats have been winning with defense all year and now I know why.
gigem1223
Watching this game has me feeling a little better about next week. Biggest problem is, New England's bread and butter is our weakness. Gotta fix the run defense and defend the screen next week. Do that and we have a good shot next week.
Proposition Joe
It makes me feel a lot less better about the game @Philly though.
gigem1223
Proposition Joe said:

We just beat them 37-10. I would expect no less from you though.

Not impressed with either team tonight.
TyHolden
AG

the last of the bohemians
Wouldn't worry about shutting down Brady with this defense. Can JG have offense prepared to have a good 1st quarter is what is needed, because Cowboys can score on anyone and often if they play aggressively
Proposition Joe
gigem1223 said:

Proposition Joe said:

We just beat them 37-10. I would expect no less from you though.

Not impressed with either team tonight.

Am I on one of your spreadsheets or something? I have no clue who you are and I've made about 10 Cowboys related posts in like 3 years.
Ag Natural
AG
I hope the Cowboys actually watch film. The book on the Rams was written by the Pats in the Super Bowl and teams are shutting down the boy genius with regularity.
jr15aggie
AG
I don't look at stats much (no fantasy football for me), but I was glancing at the NFL offensive leaders... I had no idea that Dak was the leading passer by around 150 yards. Wow!

I think the most impressive part is they don't feel like gimmick yards either. Our offense is pretty straight up, Dak is simply throwing the rock for some serious yards. Nothing but respect for the kid, it's obvious he has worked his ass off both physically and in the film room... true Pro!
jr15aggie
AG
Speaking of stats... in terms of yards/game, we have the #1 offense and #7 defense.

Wow, amazing how much we've under performed in the W/L column given those numbers. First thing that's easy to blame is the -1 in turnovers. We saw how crazy good this team can be when we win the turnover battle (Philly game).

Such a frustrating season. If you look at the league leaders, we needed 4 more takeaways thus far to be in the top 10. You can pretty much guarantee we are a 2 loss team if we had 4 more takeaways for the season.
jeffdjohnson
This Cowboys offense is Super Bowl quality. They are very explosive and have multiple ways to beat you. Currently they are number 1 in offensive DVOA.

The defense (theoretically) has a lot of play-makers and should be in the top 10. But they have under performed so far and are down at number 20 in defensive DVOA. Even still, the Cowboys are number 4 overall in team DVOA because the offense is just that freaking good.

Having a negative turnover differential for the season is really the main reason they aren't 8-4 or 9-3 right now. There have been a lot of anti-Garret/anti-Cowboys hot takes thrown around, but some of those are (unknowingly) correlated to their negative turnover differential for the season. The interesting thing is that turnovers (especially fumbles) are very difficult to predict. If the Cowboys "turnover luck" improves then not only will they beat the Patriots, they will win the division again.
expresswrittenconsent
jeffdjohnson said:

This Cowboys offense is Super Bowl quality. They are very explosive and have multiple ways to beat you. Currently they are number 1 in offensive DVOA.

The defense (theoretically) has a lot of play-makers and should be in the top 10. But they have under performed so far and are down at number 20 in defensive DVOA. Even still, the Cowboys are number 4 overall in team DVOA because the offense is just that freaking good.

Having a negative turnover differential for the season is really the main reason they aren't 8-4 or 9-3 right now. There have been a lot of anti-Garret/anti-Cowboys hot takes thrown around, but some of those are (unknowingly) correlated to their negative turnover differential for the season. The interesting thing is that turnovers (especially fumbles) are very difficult to predict. If the Cowboys "turnover luck" improves then not only will they beat the Patriots, they will win the division again.

Pretty sure the main reason we arent 8-4 or 9-3 right now is math. Or you are from the future.
jeffdjohnson
expresswrittenconsent said:

jeffdjohnson said:

Pretty sure the main reason we arent 8-4 or 9-3 right now is math. Or you are from the future.
expresswrittenconsent
Well how does ags-uga, cowboys @pats weekend go?
jr15aggie
AG
I've not been a fan of our defensive gameplan for a few years. Feels very much like the offense did under Linehan... feels like Rod refuses to adapt his old school tactics.

Today's offenses are so efficient... they absolutely can and will consistently get 5 yard dump plays and keep the chains moving. Stop playing over the top of everything... attack! Blitz them! Start jumping routes! If you keep sitting back waiting on them, they will move the ball and turnovers will be few and far between. Even if you don't give up points, you gave up field position. Our offense almost always has to drive the entire length of the field for TDs.

How about when the other team starts a drive at the 10, you go hit them in the mouth instead of backing off and saying "I bet you can't go 90 yards"! Screw that Rod... how about you man up when their backs are against the wall and say "I bet you can't even get 5 yards here!"
Macarthur
But isn't Richard supposed to bring that defense into the modern era?

And I find so many talking about how this Tampa 2 things is outdated, but this is essentially the same system that Seattle has won with for several years now, right?

I think trying to pin this on Marinelli and making this some sort of 'old thing' our outdated thing, is not really correct.
Ag Natural
AG
Macarthur said:

And I find so many talking about how this Tampa 2 things is outdated, but this is essentially the same system that Seattle has won with for several years now, right?

I think trying to pin this on Marinelli and making this some sort of 'old thing' our outdated thing, is not really correct.

The real test is going to be the Rams. There is a very clear blueprint for shutting them down. It requires putting more defensive linemen in the game. Will Marinelli and Richard actually adjust? Or will they just roll out the same 4 undersized guys with LBs playing 8 yards off the ball.
jr15aggie
AG
Yes, Richard definitely has a part in this too, although I'm still not clear on their roles. It's believed Kris calls the plays but I'm really not sure.

I guess I sorta feel about Kris the way I do about free agent signings. We can get all excited about the good things we've heard about them, but in the end, the other team didn't fight to keep them around for a reason.

Kris has a great resume and is no doubt a good coach, but right now I'm not seeing the overall defensive play improving.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Ag Natural said:

Macarthur said:

The real test is going to be the Rams. There is a very clear blueprint for shutting them down. It requires putting more defensive linemen in the game. Will Marinelli and Richard actually adjust? Or will they just roll out the same 4 undersized guys with LBs playing 8 yards off the ball.
Absolutely right. Same recipe as people have been playing against the Cowboys. You have to overplay the run and make Goff beat you. Take away the run and you take away play action, and that's almost their entire offense. So far Goff has been trash, but we made Darnold look good so who knows?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Grapesoda2525
jeffdjohnson said:

I really do believe that the turnover margin would be +3 higher if we just had an earl thomas, Jamal Adams, or minkah Fitzpatrick.

Make no mistake about it, Will McClay and Stephen Jones are doing an outstanding job at assembling talent, but they can't keep overlooking the safety position. We need a good one.
MooreTrucker
AG
From the horn tears thread:

Quote:

There was an entire series immediately before that one that was perhaps more telling. In that series, Texas got the ball back with the lead with four minutes to go in the game. The Horns reverted to 11 formation (one tight end playing h-back and one running back) that yeilded them fewer than five first downs all game long instead of sticking with a four receiver, one-back set that helped Sam Ehlinger engineer a comeback.

The result? Texas went three-and-out and it gained a grand total of one yard. It was a curious decision by a head coach that failed to have many answers for his offense for much of the game. In fact, Texas only moved the ball when throwing it against the Cyclones. Yet with the game on the line, Herman dialed up to weak-side runs and a tunnel screen that was read well by the Cyclones defense.
Sound familiar? Surely JG isn't Herman level stupid.....is he?
It seems the lack of turnover creation has been a problem for most of Garrett's reign....correlation might not be causation but his style of playing things safe probably affects the defense game plans too
And no safety playmaker since Woodson has been a long term issue with creating turnovers
jr15aggie
AG
Am I a joke to you?
Rex Racer
AG
the last of the bohemians said:

And no safety playmaker since Woodson has been a long term issue with creating turnovers
Still think Woodson should be in the Hall of Fame.
Southlake
Remember, even tho Zekes stats aren't great, the threat of him running has greatly increased Daks success.

Every year, the Cowboys have a signature win - last year it was against the Saints.

This year it will be against the Pats. With Brady aging and sloth, I see the NE offense stagnate while a Dak is hot and Zeke is due a big game.

A balanced Cowboy offense for a change swamps NE while Brady fails to move his team.

Cowboys win 31-20. And it's not that close.
expresswrittenconsent
Bill takes away what you are good at. Can Zeke and the OL deliver?

10-0 after 1, 20-7 after 3, 26-17 final that 'isnt that close'
diehard03
I think BB will take away the run completely and force Dak to go 400 again. I think he goes 300+ and it's a "get right game" offensively for the Pats...last team with the ball wins.
Macarthur
Southlake said:

Remember, even tho Zekes stats aren't great, the threat of him running has greatly increased Daks success.

Every year, the Cowboys have a signature win - last year it was against the Saints.

This year it will be against the Pats. With Brady aging and sloth, I see the NE offense stagnate while a Dak is hit and Zeke is due a big game.

A balanced Cowboy offense for a change swamps NE while Brady fails to move his team.

Cowboys win 31-20. And it's not that close.

I think Junior on the Ticket addressed this yesterday. I think everyone is being a bit too picky as it relates to Zeke. He's on pace for a 1400 yard season. That's pretty dang good. 1600 & 1800 yard seasons are pretty rare so I think everyone's expectations seem to be out of whack. Emmitt didn't rush for 1800 yards every season.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.