***DALLAS COWBOYS 2019 SEASON***

287,514 Views | 3256 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by double aught
ramblin_ag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

No ones arguing that Garrett is in league with those guys, but Garrett was promoted because he wasn't those guys. Those guys don't have owners who have to be known to be calling the shots.
Garrett's tenure literally puts him in league with those guys. Every other coach who has been around as long is awesome and clearly makes their team better.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ag Natural
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

I don't know about this conservative/aggressive argument. I do know that I have never seen a game where I was impressed with Garrett's coaching. Never once have I watched a game and thought "They only won that game because Garrett was the head coach".

I'm impressed at least every year with Belichick. He'll exploit some random rule, not throw the ball all game, target the one guy on defense who sucks, or he'll shut down the one guy that makes an offense work. It's amazing. Harbaugh and Lamar Jackson is another great example. They're doing something unique over there and it's working, at least so far. Payton in NO with his back up QB is another great example. Great coaches bring something positive to the table, just like great players. Garrett just doesn't.

No ones arguing that Garrett is in league with those guys, but Garrett was promoted because he wasn't those guys. Those guys don't have owners who have to be known to be calling the shots.

The Belichick rule thing is overblown. That's not the reason why he's a winner. Bridgewater isn't Cooper Rush either.

100% Belichik wins because he does a better job game planning each opponent every week. It's the prep. He also signs guys who are capable of executing his gameplans.

The Cowboys on the other hand basically just pressures their players to play hard all the time. Garrett is good at that. Hes a good motivator. He relies on his talent to win. It's not all that different than the Jimmy Johnson style. Everyone thought he was great but he'd probably be average at best in today's NFL.
"Always you have to contend with the stupidity of men." - Henry D. Thoreau
MooreTrucker
AG
Yep. See his time with the Dolphins.
Macarthur
Ag Natural said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

I don't know about this conservative/aggressive argument. I do know that I have never seen a game where I was impressed with Garrett's coaching. Never once have I watched a game and thought "They only won that game because Garrett was the head coach".

I'm impressed at least every year with Belichick. He'll exploit some random rule, not throw the ball all game, target the one guy on defense who sucks, or he'll shut down the one guy that makes an offense work. It's amazing. Harbaugh and Lamar Jackson is another great example. They're doing something unique over there and it's working, at least so far. Payton in NO with his back up QB is another great example. Great coaches bring something positive to the table, just like great players. Garrett just doesn't.

The Belichick rule thing is overblown. That's not the reason why he's a winner. Bridgewater isn't Cooper Rush either.

100% Belichik wins because he does a better job game planning each opponent every week. It's the prep. He also signs guys who are capable of executing his gameplans.

The Cowboys on the other hand basically just pressures their players to play hard all the time. Garrett is good at that. Hes a good motivator. He relies on his talent to win. It's not all that different than the Jimmy Johnson style. Everyone thought he was great but he'd probably be average at best in today's NFL.

Belichik is a hard comp on a number of levels.

First, he's regarded by most as the best coach in the history of the NFL. Second, he has what many believe is the best QB to ever play the game....Not sure if either of those are true or both, but you simply can't use JG and NE/Belichik as any sort of comparison.

diehard03
Quote:

Garrett's tenure literally puts him in league with those guys. Every other coach who has been around as long is awesome and clearly makes their team better.

That's not the point I was making. Garrett has tenure like those guys because Jerry literally doesn't want those guys coaching his team. He wants a guy that no one is going to say they won a title because of him.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

He wants a guy that no one is going to say they won a title because of him.
We are literally saying the same thing. We are never going to win a title with Garrett, because Jerry intentionally picked someone who couldn't win a title without every advantage in personnel and assistant coaches.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
diehard03
Quote:

We are literally saying the same thing. We are never going to win a title with Garrett, because Jerry intentionally picked someone who couldn't win a title without every advantage in personnel and assistant coaches.

I just don't blame Garrett for that. And it could very well be that he WANTS to be an impact...and his management is undermining him at every turn.
ChemAg15
AG
I don't think of Garrett as a coach so much as I see him as a full time team motivator. "Come on guys you can do it" "nice job out there" "keep your chin up" clapclapclap
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

I just don't blame Garrett for that. And it could very well be that he WANTS to be an impact...and his management is undermining him at every turn.
I do blame Garrett for that. He keeps showing up and cashing the checks. He's clearly more than content to be pushed around
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
PooDoo said:

Baldinger is spot on here. He's a former NFL offensive lineman who isn't afraid to say that Zeke is being paid like an elite back, but he's not producing like an elite back. Watch the video, he provided a host of plays where Zeke is either making bad decisions, or not hitting the hole like an explosive, elite running back should.
Macarthur
Yeah, I might disagree slightly with one or two of his examples, but his overall point is correct. Zeke just isn't expolsive right now. Wonder if they would even consider giving Pollard a handfull more rushes per game?
TyHolden
AG
Moving on...who should be on jerrah's short list?
FriscoKid
AG
gigem1223 said:

FriscoKid said:

Should have let him walk. Way too much for a RB.

Disagree. Zeke is the best player on this team. You
Let him walk and it's back to mediocrity with a team that has a real window of opportunity to win a championship.
BenFiasco14
AG
DSAg44 said:

Moving on...who should be on jerrah's short list?

Sumlin?

I like the idea of Lincoln Reilly
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Macarthur
FriscoKid said:

gigem1223 said:

FriscoKid said:

Let him walk and it's back to mediocrity with a team that has a real window of opportunity to win a championship.

I'm not sure Zeke is the best player on this team. In fact, I'm not sure he's not #3 or 4 with the way he's playing RIGHT NOW.

#4 is quickly establishing himself as the man here.
Macarthur
The way guys are playing right now:

1. Dak

2. Tank

3. Cooper

4. Zeke or Martin/Collins?
ramblin_ag02
AG
FriscoKid said:

gigem1223 said:

FriscoKid said:

Seasons not done, but this take is not aging well
ac04
unfortunately neither is zeke
the last of the bohemians
Romo for head coach? He's clearly the smartest tv guy
expresswrittenconsent
the last of the bohemians said:

We took a half measure with Garrett - Jerry fell in love and hired him as OC before even interviewing the candidates that led to the Uncle Wade era as HC. I wonder if Jerry had just hired Garrett then as HV if we would be in the same spot as now only with JG in year 13 ?or whatever) or if he gets fired 4-5yrs in and Romo's prime has a better coach?
Ag Natural
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

We took a half measure with Garrett - Jerry fell in love and hired him as OC before even interviewing the candidates that led to the Uncle Wade era as HC. I wonder if Jerry had just hired Garrett then as HV if we would be in the same spot as now only with JG in year 13 ?or whatever) or if he gets fired 4-5yrs in and Romo's prime has a better coach?
To be fair, JG was successful initially as an OC and was thought to be a hot HC candidate. I'm pretty he turned down at least one job to remain the OC. Jerry made him the highest paid coordinator in the league just to keep him from Baltimore or Detroit (my memory fails). He had just as much of a resume at Sean McVay or Frank Reich or any of these guys getting jobs now who everyone loves.

You could argue Jerry should have fired him but the evidence doesn't strongly point there either. Throw out the interim year where he went 5-3. He went 8-8 three straight years with some flawed teams. Dallas didn't get their personnel under control until about 6 years ago. Then he goes 12-4, 4-12 (3-0 before Romo gets injured), 13-3 (with a rookie QB), 9-7 (Zeke suspension), 10-6.

I know everyone hates him but I don't see how any data driven decision would have supported firing JG at any point over the last 5 years. Yeah he could really tank this year and create a reason. And yeah you could have axed him after his 3rd 8-8 season and nobody would have seconded guessed that. Jerry did fire Gailey after two 10-6 seasons.
hph6203
AG
It was the Baltimore Ravens.
expresswrittenconsent
Ag Natural said:

To be fair, JG was successful initially as an OC and was thought to be a hot HC candidate. I'm pretty he turned down at least one job to remain the OC. Jerry made him the highest paid coordinator in the league just to keep him from Baltimore or Detroit (my memory fails). He had just as much of a resume at Sean McVay or Frank Reich or any of these guys getting jobs now who everyone loves.

You could argue Jerry should have fired him but the evidence doesn't strongly point there either. Throw out the interim year where he went 5-3. He went 8-8 three straight years with some flawed teams. Dallas didn't get their personnel under control until about 6 years ago. Then he goes 12-4, 4-12 (3-0 before Romo gets injured), 13-3 (with a rookie QB), 9-7 (Zeke suspension), 10-6.

I know everyone hates him but I don't see how any data driven decision would have supported firing JG at any point over the last 5 years. Yeah he could really tank this year and create a reason. And yeah you could have axed him after his 3rd 8-8 season and nobody would have seconded guessed that. Jerry did fire Gailey after two 10-6 seasons.

whew. my clearly hypothetical scenario that you were replying to was questioning whether we would've fired him during the 6-10, 8-8, 8-8, 8-8 stretch where you said it was OK.
Ag Natural
AG

Ag Natural said:

whew. my clearly hypothetical scenario that you were replying to was questioning whether we would've fired him during the 6-10, 8-8, 8-8, 8-8 stretch where you said it was OK.

Yeah I dont think anyone calls foul firing him early. But he got it together and has just one losing season since and that was with Cassell and Weadon playing QB. I personally dont think it makes sense to fire a coach today based on their lifetime record or based on something they did 7 years ago.
BMX Bandit
if the goal is winning seasons, then Garret is great.

what is the team's goal?
Proposition Joe
He's a conservative coach that doesn't maximize his possessions. That's not a good combo.

You can be plain-vanilla conservative in the NFL and if you have the talent you will still find yourself in the playoffs regularly.

But if you're not going to be an aggressive mastermind with your gameplan, then you have to maximize the # of opportunities you have. We've seen by Garrett's timeout management and things like the fair catch last game that Garrett isn't good at.

The margin of error in NFL games is too small to have 2-3 "oops I made a mental mistake" games like that.
diehard03
Quote:

You can be plain-vanilla conservative in the NFL and if you have the talent you will still find yourself in the playoffs regularly.

You still have to score points in relation to the yards you get. The Cowboys are remarkably average in this category. If you look at ratios like yards/TD and yards/Points scored, the Cowboys are ranked around teams with similar records. (yes, they ignore defense and aren't perfect. Loosely correlative)
Boiling Denim
Garrett is a JAG coach. Completely dependent on his individual players actions throughout the game to lead to success.

Theoretically it can work if every break goes your way but it hasn't during this era. There's always been a Murray fumble, Patrick Crayton dropped pass, Rodgers miracle or bad call/penalty standing in the way.

Find me a coach that elevates the team with his own skills that reduces the reliance on single plays/players. I want a coach whose game plan and preparation doesn't put us in 3 score holes in playoff games right off the bat, whose QB wouldn't even dream of going to Cabo during the bye week(I know this was Wade but same mentality imo) and who can keep the team focused during 2 minute drills to close out games.

JAG coaches can strike gold one in a hundred times but I want a coach that can get us down to one in ten odds to succeed with his own skillset
ramblin_ag02
AG
Agree completely, but diehard made a great point. Jerry will only hire JAG coaches. An exceptional coach would get all the credit instead of Jerry if they actually won. Even if we win a SB this year, no one is going to sing Garrett's praises as an amazing coach
Macarthur
ramblin_ag02 said:

Agree completely, but diehard made a great point. Jerry will only hire JAG coaches. An exceptional coach would get all the credit instead of Jerry if they actually won. Even if we win a SB this year, no one is going to sing Garrett's praises as an amazing coach
If JJ pulls the trigger and gets rid of him, I think JJ would be willing to put up with any arrangement if he thought it would bring post season success. Jerry is old and knows his window is small. He wants another SB.
jcbaggie04
AG
I want to believe you.
MooreTrucker
AG
jcbaggie04 said:

I want to believe you.
Well, he's already in the HOF, so there's that. Maybe that'll help set aside the "I gotta be the one" to get to the SB and he'll hire someone that can actually get him there. Otherwise, he'll "be the one" that hung on to JG too long and missed out in the end.
expresswrittenconsent
ramblin_ag02 said:

The one exception was Parcells but Jerry needed the stadium at that point and Parcells was broke after a divorce.
Agnzona
The people who said you don't give Zeke the big contract because he is a running back are going to be proven absolutely correct. The position is interchangeable. And while a few are significant upgrades over the mean that significance last only a few years. Dak should have been the priority this off season and Zeke should have been told unequivocally we are not even talking to you until next year.
TyHolden
AG
Agnzona said:

The people who said you don't give Zeke the big contract because he is a running back are going to be proven absolutely correct. The position is interchangeable. And while a few are significant upgrades over the mean that significance last only a few years. Dak should have been the priority this off season and Zeke should have been told unequivocally we are not even talking to you until next year.
but then jerrah would have excuses for jg. now, there are none.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.