***DALLAS COWBOYS 2019 SEASON***

293,513 Views | 3256 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by double aught
Ag Natural
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It was great to see the plan come together. Cobb plus another year of Coop and Gallup is huge. Dak was really dialed in. I thought Zeke looked pretty good. Lots of play action.

On defense the secondary played well. The whole front seven looked a little out of synch to me. They'll get into a groove. Interesting that Taco and 2nd round pick Hill were both inactive while 5th round pick Joe Jackson played quite a bit.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Jerry might need to give Moore a deal at the end of this year instead of JG. With the current NFL hardon to find the next offensive boy genius, it may take something drastic to hang onto Moore if this offense is as effective and dangerous as it appears to be. .
Grapesoda2525
DannyDuberstein said:

Jerry might need to give Moore a deal at the end of this year instead of JG. With the current NFL hardon to find the next offensive boy genius, it may take something drastic to hang onto Moore if this offense is as effective and dangerous as it appears to be. .
I'm almost expecting the moore thing to be a lose / lose situation. Either he sucks and we keep him or he's awesome and someone will poach him.

The cowboys are such a visible / high profile team that they can never sneak up on anyone or fool anyone, other teams are always jumping at the chance to hire our coaches and steal our coordinators. Kris Richard had been here for less than a year at the time, and several other teams still almost hired him. I'm very grateful that they didn't. That's the breaks when you're a cowboy fan I guess.

DannyDuberstein
AG
I think the main thing that kept Richard here is the offensive boy genius craze. The defensive mind is on the back burner right now.
jr15aggie
AG
Didn't realize how good of a game Xavier Woods had... 11 tackles. Was hard to be impressed with the defense I guess, they gave up a ton of yards.

At the end of the day, they only allowed 10 points if you don't count the garbage time, so it wasn't terrible. But I expect to see a much tighter defense next week.
Macarthur
jr15aggie said:

Didn't realize how good of a game Xavier Woods had... 11 tackles. Was hard to be impressed with the defense I guess, they gave up a ton of yards.

At the end of the day, they only allowed 10 points if you don't count the garbage time, so it wasn't terrible. But I expect to see a much tighter defense next week.

He was very good. And don't forget the forced fumble that NY got lucky to get back. That was the play right before the long run. The game might have been an even bigger rout if we get that fumble.
jr15aggie
AG
One guy I was concerned about going into this game... LVE. I wasn't super impressed with his pre-season work and he made a terrible read / play on Barkley's big run on the opening drive.

I was afraid he'd overthink things this year instead of just playing with those instincts that were so good last year. But he got it going and had a really solid game. Almost got a pick and made 2 plays on Eli, both of which ended a Giant's drive.

Honestly, and I love Jaylon, but LVE had another type of game (like last year) that made me think we'd never re-sign Jaylon... LVE just makes more plays so why would we sign Jaylon to a mega deal!?! Very pleased at the deal he signed and really love what we have at LB for the next few years if not longer.
jr15aggie
AG
My take on the offense... I'll bullet point it because, yeah, TLDR!

• The Kellen Moore effect was obvious. Lot's of pre-snap movement, lining up players all over the field (RBs out wide, Cooper in the slot, etc), and in general giving keeping the defense guessing... in this case, was way more than the Giants could handle.
  • IMO, the absolute BEST thing we did and will be the key to our offense... we used the deep middle of the field with lethal results! All game the Giants insisted on using the safeties to stop Zeke (just like everybody else the last 2 years)... teams take away Zeke and they take away our outside threats. Kellen did what Linehan wouldn't/couldn't do... he destroyed NY right up the middle. This was huge... safeties will have to honor the middle which means less run support and less help for our outside guys. Huge I tell you!
  • I thought Zeke looked GREAT all things considered. He looked quick and had several 5 yard gains despite getting first contact near the LOS. Didn't think the O-line was dominant at run blocking, but going to my point above, many times the primary guys were blocked, it was the safeties coming up to stop the run. The "make Dak beat us" approach ain't gonna work for defenses if Dak throws like that!!!
  • Oline pass blocking... A++.
  • Dak's deep throws... uh oh, Happy learned how to put!
  • Dak saw the field really well. Honestly reminded me of his rookie year. He saw and he threw the ball with accuracy. Not sure what the deal was year 2 & 3... but year 1 was great and so far so good year 4.
  • Randal Cobb. The X Factor for 2019? How does he help us more than Beasley... he is a helluva run after catch guy which Beasley was not. Cobb got some filthy YAC a couple times yesterday. And the fact that we showed his deep threat ability in game 1... yes sir!
  • Gallop. Finally got the deep ball that Dak missed many times last year. And this dude makes tough / contested catches. This kid is a stud!
  • Never underestimate an NFL win. We beat up on pros and deserve to enjoy this one so enjoy it........ but yeah, the Giants are not good.
Macarthur
Cobb is going to be big this year. I don't think his numbers will be that big, but I think he's going to be a major chain mover.

There was one conversion, 3rd and 4 I think, where he ran a quick in route in between two defenders. Dak threw a dart and Cobb snagged it for 8 yards. That was a really big conversion and showed just how good that tandem can be over the course of the season.

Dddfff
AG
Gallup and Cobb played with senses of urgency, fighting for every yard. That was fun to watch!
DannyDuberstein
AG
Cobb also adds a big play threat because he's got the speed to slip vertically in the seam and break a big one. He's going to cause some game-planning headaches for some DCs
bonfarr
AG
The Cowboys offense is good to great at every position with the exception of TE. Witten has dead legs and the rest have been JAGs so far in their careers. I expected Schultz to have developed more than he has shown thus far.

I really think we need to address the position in the draft and with a reasonably priced vet FA as I don't see Witten coming back again.
mike_ags_fan12
Trade for Jace?
gigem1223
bonfarr said:

The Cowboys offense is good to great at every position with the exception of TE. Witten has dead legs and the rest have been JAGs so far in their careers. I expected Schultz to have developed more than he has shown thus far.

I really think we need to address the position in the draft and with a reasonably priced vet FA as I don't see Witten coming back again.

May be in the minority here but I like what I see out of Jarwin. He's been very good down the field his last several starts. Him and Witt are a perfect combo IMO.
jr15aggie
AG
Jarwin has gotten nothing but praise from insiders... meaning he's doing all the little things guys like us don't pay attention to. In terms of production, our TEs got 6 for 54 and 2 TDs on Sunday. One of which was a masterful sell job by Old Man Witt.

Not really sure what else you can reasonably expect from our TEs. Any more touches/yards and all of a sudden guys like Gallop or Cooper aren't getting enough and we are talking about how they are under performing.

IMO the play action seam pass to Jarwin was the only thing we needed to show the other teams regarding our TEs. The fact that we can and we will is all the other teams needs to know to keep their defense honest!
DannyDuberstein
AG
As long as you have a quality slot WR, the threat at TE doesn't have to be that significant. I think Jarwin can handle that more than adequately.
jr15aggie
AG
Couple things I've forgotten to bring up about Moore's offense... and how long have we been begging for this... using hard counts consistently and in different ways! What a concept! It worked at least once for a penalty. Maybe this year we won't have the defenses firing off 90% of the time with a completely predictable snap sequence!

The other thing... I loved the hurry up offense after a big play or a first down. When the defense is on their heals, line up and run another play. Lets go!

All good stuff!
bonfarr
AG
mike_ags_fan12 said:

Trade for Jace?

Let's see what he has as a Pro before reading for him. He has been injured since his first scrimmage against Houston.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Cobb doesn't run backwards after catching the ball, so that's already a plus.
bonfarr
AG
Jerry needs to hurry up and get the Dak deal done. If he lights it up against the Redskins and Dolphins he may have to consider paying him that $40 MM he asked for.
Saint Pablo
bonfarr said:

mike_ags_fan12 said:

Trade for Jace?

Let's see what he has as a Pro before reading for him. He has been injured since his first scrimmage against Houston.
He's on the IR
Macarthur
DannyDuberstein said:

As long as you have a quality slot WR, the threat at TE doesn't have to be that significant. I think Jarwin can handle that more than adequately.

I love me some Witten, but anyone else think he's taking too many snaps away from Jarwin?
DannyDuberstein
AG
We'll see how it plays out over the course of the season. I can't say I have any complaints or suggestions about yesterday since they both got used in very impactful ways. The one thing we know with Witten is great at being that safety blanket that Dak can rely on to be where expected.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I have a feeling the Dak deal gets done before game 2.
jr15aggie
AG
The good news / bad news about the defense... They did give up way too many yards... a lot of those yards were after it became a 3 score game and in garbage time... and they really only gave up 10 points during 'real' football time.

Best of all, I'm told Tank and the boys were visibly PISSED after the game. No giddy celebration from the D, they were not happy.
Grapesoda2525
jr15aggie said:

The good news / bad news about the defense... They did give up way too many yards... a lot of those yards were after it became a 3 score game and in garbage time... and they really only gave up 10 points during 'real' football time.

Best of all, I'm told Tank and the boys were visibly PISSED after the game. No giddy celebration from the D, they were not happy.
In fairness, Barkley made a lot of big plays and won some 1 on 1 battles that were the difference between a 1 yard gain and a 9-10 yard first down. It sounds like heath messed up on the Barkley 80+ yard run. The good news for the defense is they won't see another RB like Barkley this year.

Should we be concerned about the running game? I'm leaning towards no. The giants always seem to be good at stopping the run and stopping zeke. Need to see a big game on the ground next week against the skids tho.
jtstanley4621
AG
It's been one game, but the offense looked promising under Moore.

However, I could see the Giants going on to be absolutely terrible this year outside of Barkley. I'm not ready to anoint the offense "fixed" yet, but it's encouraging.
PatAg
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

It's been one game, but the offense looked promising under Moore.

However, I could see the Giants going on to be absolutely terrible this year outside of Barkley. I'm not ready to anoint the offense "fixed" yet, but it's encouraging.
Definitely have to take into account the Giants appear bad, but you can just tell by the actual playcalling and and movement that we will at least have a different and modern approach
gigem1223
The thing I loved the most from Moore's play calling came on the first drive in the 2nd half. Up 11 last year we'd to try to run against a stacked box and control the clock and 9 times out of 10 go 3 and out. Moore came out attacking and we scored in 3 plays.
PooDoo
AG
DannyDuberstein
AG
Ya need the right jersey, son
ElephantRider
AG
He wouldn't have signed it anyways, but still funny that he said that.
bonfarr
AG
And the Browns cut Rico Gathers, his fanboys can finally stand down and accept that he isn't going to be a superstar.
jr15aggie
AG
bonfarr said:

And the Browns cut Rico Gathers, his fanboys can finally stand down and accept that he isn't going to be a superstar.

Guy was a heckuva athlete. Too bad he couldn't pick up the mental part of it fast enough.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I don't think he's had any fanboys for at least a year. Everyone figured out he couldn't play.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.