***DALLAS COWBOYS 2019 SEASON***

293,818 Views | 3256 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by double aught
Southlake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yeah, that works both ways. Zeke could be thinking, get something before it's too late or, if Jaylon can get THAT money, then I can get better than Gurley money.
jr15aggie
AG
Southlake said:

Yeah, that works both ways. Zeke could be thinking, get something before it's too late or, if Jaylon can get THAT money, then I can get better than Gurley money.

I think Jaylon's contract says exactly what the Cowboys have been preaching. We will give you good money, money that you have earned, money that shows how much we value you..... but we aren't giving you money that sets the new bar for your position.
Baby Billy
AG
jr15aggie said:

Southlake said:

I think Jaylon's contract says exactly what the Cowboys have been preaching. We will give you good money, money that you have earned, money that shows how much we value you..... but we aren't giving you money that sets the new bar for your position.

And Zeke would say to that, "why not? I'm the best RB in the league"
mike_ags_fan12
Huell Babineaux said:

jr15aggie said:

Southlake said:

Jerry will be like "You're also a liability. Is Todd Gurley our there punching people in Vegas. Short answer: No."
BMX Bandit
Jaylon is not as important to the team as the Zeke, Amari and Dak. Nor would he get any significant amount more on the open market as compared to these 3.

are Dak and Amari trying to reset the market? I doubt it.

Zeke is, and I don't blame him. And similarly don't blame Cowboys for not caving.

If Amari isn't resigned, that trade goes down as terrible IMO.
jr15aggie
AG
Quote:

Yeah, but Zeke is also asking for his money 2 years early. It's called 'give & take'... it can't all be 'take' which is what Zeke's agent wants.

Macarthur
BMX Bandit said:

Jaylon is not as important to the team as the Zeke, Amari and Dak. Nor would he get any significant amount more on the open market as compared to these 3.

are Dak and Amari trying to reset the market? I doubt it.

Zeke is, and I don't blame him. And similarly don't blame Cowboys for not caving.

If Amari isn't resigned, that trade goes down as terrible IMO.

I don't blame Zeke, but he has not handled this well.

First, he was a top 5 pick so he has made really good money. At least Bell had the argument that he was grossly underpaid for his production. Zeke has been compensated well relative to his production and draft status. And when you factor in the off the field stuff, I don't blame JJ for being *****ly.
CSWendt
AG
I loved Jerry Jones' comment saying "I've earned the right to joke with Zeke. I've earned it."

That was a shot directly to Zeke saying Jerry has gone to bat for Zeke over and over, so how dare Zeke feel disrespected by Jerry now.
Ag12thman
AG
CSWendt said:

I loved Jerry Jones' comment saying "I've earned the right to joke with Zeke. I've earned it."

That was a shot directly to Zeke saying Jerry has gone to bat for Zeke over and over, so how dare Zeke feel disrespected by Jerry now.
Yep - and, for once, I agree with Jerry and support him. He needed to say this and he's doing everything the way he needs to with Elliott right now, IMO.
Ag Natural
AG
IMO Zekes agent is playing this all wrong. He should take the $10 million a year, be the star of Americas team and bask in that glory. It's not like Jerry is low balling. Management is correctly saying we cant set the market at the RB position if we want to be winners. And they are right. Zeke might be the best in the league but nobody is going to pay what Zeke is asking for. The Rams have been universally criticized for the Gurley deal.
Southlake
Ok, who here thinks Zeke gets Gurley money?

No doubt in my mind that Jerry pays.

Zeke is seasoned and chiseled. 230 lbs. centerpoint of Cowboys offense. Could easily run for 1800+ yards this year. To think Pollard is close to that is just silly. Jerry will pay.

jr15aggie
AG
I disagree. Jerry is not going to cave for a guy with 2 years left on his deal. Jerry has offered a nice deal early.

If Zeke doesn't take it, he can play out his deal. Or he can sit out and earn nothing and be a criticized and hated player that ESPN and NFL network constantly talk about.

It's his choice. He has no leverage, IMO, with 2 years left on his deal and I don't blame the cowboys one bit if they stand firm.
Ag Natural
AG
Plus its pretty unanimous that Gurley didnt deserve the deal he has. The Rams were dumb to do it. The Cowboys are under no obligation to be equally stupid.

This narrative that they dont want to pay Zeke is so annoying. It's just like with Murray. They DID want to pay Murray. He just got a slightly better offer from Philly. I promise you the Cowboys value the RB position more than most teams.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Dallas seems to have offered Zeke somewhere between Bell and Gurley. That's a fair offer and I wouldn't budge an inch off it. And LOL at the righteous indignation from Zeke's camp about Jerry's joke while he sits at home in spite of being under contract for 2 more years. Talk about a complete lack of self awareness. Quit trying to play the disrespected victim, fcknut. Jerry has been about the only one that has consistently had your back in spite of you pulling fcknut stuff every year.
Southlake
"He has no leverage"

Jerry is getting older and the Cowboys are primed this year, but not without Zeke. That's Zeke leverage.
ac04
he's not getting gurley's deal
Baby Billy
AG
Jerry wants to win, and will do so at all costs. I expect the deal to get done. He knows the team we have this year with Zeke.

But that doesn't mean Garrett isn't still coaching
CSWendt
AG
You all forget that it isn't just Jerry calling the shots. Stephen plays a large role in negotiating these contracts. And we've consistently seen the Cowboys be disciplined with their contracts over the last several seasons. Stephen and Jerry aren't going to sell the future for a chance over the next two seasons.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
If Elliott were a candidate for NFL Man of the Year, he might be worth what he wants. Then again, if a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass all the time.
ElephantRider
AG
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

If Elliott were a candidate for NFL Man of the Year, he might be worth what he wants. Then again, if a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass all the time.

I think you got the saying wrong. I've always heard that if a frog had wings, he'd go get some eagle *****
TheBiggerEvent
AG
i have a gut feeling Zeke will be suited up for week one...
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Jerry definitely should not budge anymore if he's really offered between Bell and Gurley money.

That's entirely fair.

If he sits out he sits out. But the problem I guess would be if he shows up after week 10 overweight and with a bad attitude and he still gets his vested one year. But if that happens, Dallas should just pull his contract offer all together and make him go into the last year ready to play for Free Agency.
Grapesoda2525
TheBiggerEvent said:

He loses too much money by holding out. He will be back by then.

Who does zeke think he is? Emmitt Smith? At least smith won us a super bowl or two before pulling his temper tantrum.

ChoppinDs40
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

TheBiggerEvent said:

He loses too much money by holding out. He will be back by then.

Who does zeke think he is? Emmitt Smith? At least smith won us a super bowl or two before pulling his temper tantrum.

That and Emmitt was in the last year of his deal.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Common sense tells me Zeke would be in by week 1. But I'm not sure he has much common sense. Pride is ****ing with him, and I think pride is going to drive him to keep sitting out in order to set the market as the top dog. Jerry is willing to pay these guys well, but he's not going to pay any of these guys top of the market. That was basically his speech with the Jaylon signing. He'll play ball, but to try to keep as much young talent as possible, he's not going to pay top-of-the-market-setting prices. And he shouldn't.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Big picture, I expect Zeke to hold out at least the first 2-3 games while he hopes they screw up the start to put the pressure on Jerry to meet his price, like Emmitt 25 years ago.
TyHolden
AG
We could win first 2-3 with 40+ year old emmit today...
Grapesoda2525
DannyDuberstein said:

Big picture, I expect Zeke to hold out at least the first 2-3 games while he hopes they screw up the start to put the pressure on Jerry to meet his price, like Emmitt 25 years ago.
Unfortunately for zeke we play the giants first. They are atrocious.
98Ag99Grad
AG
It took awhile but I think Jones finally realizes he cant blow all his money on one guy. I dont think Dallas will move off their number and Zeke will sign for less than hes looking for. The Jaylon signing was a huge middle finger to him and his agent.
Ag12thman
AG
Emmitt was a whole different situation and he was in no way throwing the tantrum and demanding unearned money like Elliott is (with multiple years left on his current deal). That is an apples to oranges comparison, IMO. Agree with what Jr15 said above - if he doesn't like the deal on the table he can just sit out all season like Bell and go unpaid.
Kellso
Ag12thman said:

Emmitt was a whole different situation and he was in no way throwing the tantrum and demanding unearned money like Elliott is (with multiple years left on his current deal). That is an apples to oranges comparison, IMO. Agree with what Jr15 said above - if he doesn't like the deal on the table he can just sit out all season like Bell and go unpaid.
When Zeke signs his new deal will the money still be "unearned"?????

Zeke has outplayed his current deal.

The only real difference between Emmit Smith and Zeke's holdout was that the Cowboys had just come off of winning the Super Bowl.

Both players were the best players on their respective teams and both had led the league in rushing multiple times.
Emmit and Zeke both wanted to get compensated as the best at their positions.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Zeke wants to get paid. Period. If he doesn't come in before game 1, you can damn sure guarantee he's going to be hoping a trip-up at the start to give him more leverage. Someone would have to be one naive yahoo to think otherwise.

Glorify Emmitt all you want. But he had a 1st rounder's contract (which he'd held out right up to week 1 of his rookie year to maximize), and he was willing to sit out and watch the Cowboys lose while knowing no SB winner had ever started 0-2. Let's not make him saint emmitt vs awful Zeke. They are playing the same negotiating game - leverage a SB contender's aspirations for long-term financial security.
DannyDuberstein
AG
If you want a difference, it's on Jerry's side. In emmitt's case, the salary cap had one more year before it was going to kick in, so Jerry front loaded half of the money from Emmitt's 4 year deal into year 1. So Jerry had more financial flexibility to cave without impacting his ability to sign players later as much, but less so in Zeke's case.

Btw, that Emmitt rookie year holdout was the longest in Cowboy team history for a 1st rounder. Still is.
PooDoo
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Zeke wants to get paid. Period. If he doesn't come in before game 1, you can damn sure guarantee he's going to be hoping a trip-up at the start to give him more leverage. Someone would have to be one naive yahoo to think otherwise.

Glorify Emmitt all you want. But he had a 1st rounder's contract (which he'd held out right up to week 1 of his rookie year to maximize), and he was willing to sit out and watch the Cowboys lose while knowing no SB winner had ever started 0-2. Let's not make him saint emmitt vs awful Zeke. They are playing the same negotiating game - leverage a SB contender's aspirations for long-term financial security.
Emmitt wasn't holding out... his contract expired. Not even in the same ballpark as Zeke's dumb ass.
DannyDuberstein
AG
That is what I thought I remembered back then, but then saw in a couple of places recently the terms of all of the contracts he signed over the years and his rookie deal was 4 years. Here are a couple of the spots (first is a chart at bottom) referring to the 4th year and related salary. Obviously, the money was not nearly as good back then. Maybe there was more to it than that he and performance voided the last year.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2019/07/26/source-dallas-cowboys-ezekiel-elliotts-agent-discussed-contract-thursday-important-things-know-rbs-holdout

https://frontofficenfl.com/2017/03/28/dallas-cowboys-emmitt-smith-career-earnings/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.