Elon makes all-cash offer to take Twitter private

293,699 Views | 2678 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by TexAgs91
Ag81Golf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How long before one of the Twitter snowflakes sets up a gofundme to help them survive the "cruelty" of Elon's layoff?
Deplorable
So is every other oil and gas, tech, finance, etc. company who lays people of getting sued?
BAP Enthusiast
OG UNF said:

So is every other oil and gas, tech, finance, etc. company who lays people of getting sued?

The tech crunch is going to be enormous. The bloat in the tech world is worse than the bloat was in oil and gas at its peak during the shale boom. I would bet money that the vast majority of tech workers don't actually do anything at all. Those "day in the life" videos those girls keep posting are classic examples of how severe the bloat has become.

I don't like big corporations but this needed to happen a decade ago.
Proc92
Depends on specifics. Read about the warn act. When acquisitions or mergers happen we would conduct a warn analysis if there were significant layoffs involved. If closing a division or shutting down locations, same thing. Some reps in a deal doc would address warn issues.
FTAG 2000
AG
They didn't fire people today. They gave them notice and locked them out.

Al of those laid off get paid for the next 60 days, then are terminated.

The thrashing about notice and the WARN Act stuff is just more dumb crying by the left.
Aggie Jurist
AG
You get around WARN by simply paying them for 60 days (plus benefits).
LGB
Aggie Jurist
AG
Quote:

Warn act is a thing. Lots of nuance and exemptions, but I bet it will apply.
Oh, it applies, but it's not that big a deal to comply with - though expensive b/c you have to pay those laid off for 60 days.
LGB
Rossticus
Libs mad that lying Libs fired from Twitter.

Proc92
Of course. It's just a bit complicated to figure out true liability over multiple locations, especially when financing the deal so as not to have a gotcha with lenders.
Showertime at the Bidens
Rossticus said:

This reminds me of Dan Rather saying that CBS News was actually harder on Democrats than Republicans.
Phat32
AG
Happy "Twitter employees ****ed around and will now find out" day
torrid
AG
Learn to code, mother.....oh, wait.
RAB91
Adverse Event
Zarathustra said:

Rossticus said:

This reminds me of Dan Rather saying that CBS News was actually harder on Democrats than Republicans.

There had to be a problem to solve with censorship and amplification of the opposite party.

Similar to 9/11 and patriot act and TSA (is fast pass the TSA version of blue check?)
javajaws
AG
samurai_science said:

Elon fixes Twitter = GOOD
Elon destroys Twitter = GOOD

I am good either way
You shouldn't be.

If liberals dump Twitter entirely a new viable replacement will emerge that they then have control over again. Twitter would then essentially become the next MySpace.

ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
RAB91 said:

Career journalist and doesn't know the difference between affect and effect. Sheesh.
Showertime at the Bidens

Twitter is worldwide. Like it or not it's the best place to disseminate news globally. The left can leave Twitter but that's where the trending World News will be. Without political bias, Twitter could become the go-to platform for current events and to see both sides of the story.
will25u
akm91
AG
Hence the massive layoffs!
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Invincible Aggie
Oh, no. Elon will have to fire 75% of Twitter, not just 50%.
HTownAg98
will25u said:

Destroying free speech by a company choosing not to advertise with you by exercising their own free speech is certainly a take.
japantiger
S
ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

RAB91 said:

Career journalist and doesn't know the difference between affect and effect. Sheesh.
Al Capone rolling over in his grave...
“It was miraculous. It was almost no trick at all, he saw, to turn vice into virtue and slander into truth, impotence into abstinence, arrogance into humility, plunder into philanthropy, thievery into honor, blasphemy into wisdom, brutality into patriotism, and sadism into justice. Anybody could do it; it required no brains at all. It merely required no character.”
Joseph Heller, Catch 22
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
HTownAg98 said:

will25u said:

Destroying free speech by a company choosing not to advertise with you by exercising their own free speech is certainly a take.
"They" refers to the activists, not the companies, so it actually isn't anyone's take. Unless its yours, I mean you made it up after all...
“Not gonna lie...its a little disconcerting to have our minister of positivity be PlaneCrashGuy but Im in"
TexAgs91
AG
Quote:

"Tweets posted by accounts from the political right receive more algorithmic amplification than the political left."

I thought it was the other way around?
America the Beautiful
1776 - 2020
samurai_science
javajaws said:

samurai_science said:

Elon fixes Twitter = GOOD
Elon destroys Twitter = GOOD

I am good either way
You shouldn't be.

If liberals dump Twitter entirely a new viable replacement will emerge that they then have control over again. Twitter would then essentially become the next MySpace.

I am, we are divided and nothing can fix it. All that matters is what happens at the end
No Spin Ag
will25u said:

You know we're living in idiocracy when people honestly believe there's free speech on privately owned websites.

Also, with his wealth I'm sure he won't ever feel what is likely a drop in his banks bucket with whoever stops advertising on Twitter.
fka ftc
PlaneCrashGuy said:

HTownAg98 said:

will25u said:

"They" refers to the activists, not the companies, so it actually isn't anyone's take. Unless its yours, I mean you made it up after all...
Rarely does that poster ever have the right take on things.

The companies are indeed free to make their own decisions. The issue is they are capitulating to the woke, vocal mob (who primarily use Twitter to deliver their wokeism) to "punish" Twitter for being run by a guy committed to ALL voices being heard.

I massive reckoning is coming for those companies with slumping demand, deep recession, and rising costs on everything from energy to payroll.
fka ftc
No Spin Ag said:

will25u said:

You know we're living in idiocracy when people honestly believe there's free speech on privately owned websites.

Also, with his wealth I'm sure he won't ever feel what is likely a drop in his banks bucket with whoever stops advertising on Twitter.
One of Elon's primary reasons for taking over Twitter was to ensure free speech on "privately owned websites" as the proliferation of the use of Twitter has reached the status of public infrastructure, public space.

Twitter let their private pool become a swimming place for official government persons and agencies to disseminate official information, sometimes urgent and critical, to the public. in example, White House account, local police accounts, emergency weather accounts, etc.

When they then decided to "turn off" the microphone of the sitting President, his press secretary, and other accounts, they stepped over the line. This was particularly unacceptable as it was one sided - allowing only left elitist to control the "conversation".

The old guard at Twitter and the current guard at Facebook should receive more than just fines for election interference. They should be in jail as insurrectionist. Fortunately their coup falls apart next Tuesday and its time for justice.
AgBQ-00
AG
Considering there is documented proof of government control of posts/moderation across social media/big tech, I think it might be more apt than previously thought.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
No Spin Ag said:

will25u said:

That's an incredibly shallow and obtuse take for someone with the handle "no spin".
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
HTownAg98 said:

will25u said:

Here's HTownAg98, everybody!

Ornithopter
AG
TexAgs91 said:

Quote:

"Tweets posted by accounts from the political right receive more algorithmic amplification than the political left."

That was what they wanted to find.

The reality is that emotional content on any side is what gets amplified
Deplorable
DubFalls said:

TexAgs91 said:

Quote:

That was what they wanted to find.

The reality is that emotional content on any side is what gets amplified

The issue is that bots are able to amplify, and that staff are able to put their thumb in the scale. Take right and left out, this is a problem that should be solved.
captkirk
AG

Quote:

Steffie from the D @steffie_steff

Liberal twitter employees soon to learn their pronouns are was/were #TwitterLayoffs
captkirk
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.